• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

Wow Vidic is going at the end of the season?

United have to buy a quality replacement! Evans, Jones and Smalling can't fill his boots.

GHG

I was bringing up Owen because Owen was nothing without pace. Walcott is one serious injury away from being another Owen. And I wonder how fast he will be when he comes back.

He is not a 20 goals a season guy. In his two fully fit seasons he has scored 8 and 14 league goals. 4 of the 5 league goals this season have been scored in two games.

Walcott is not indispensable to the team. He is not world class. he is an above average player and nothing more. He punishes slow and sloppy defenders, but anyone half decent can handle him. A good player to have in your squad, but starting??? Nope.

Only punishes slow sloppy defenders but consistently terrorises and scores/assists against the defences of Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham and Man United.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/features/btn-walcott

Ooooookkkkk then.

Name me all of the other wingers in the top european leagues who have scored 14 or more league goals.

Lightning

Banned
£40.50 in the away end. Ticket was £35 and there's a £5 booking cost.

modern fucking football
I don't understand why Arsenal reduced Liverpool's allocation. With Spurs I understood because our fans simply don't like one another and aggression can be an issue but to my knowledge our supporters and Liverpool's are not violent towards one another so it's hard to fathom what security concerns Arsenal are talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-5j2k6yTyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwt0cczndh8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QPR3QAx8LM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA1SwY-X_yI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=858GzTEKk3M#t=188

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=858GzTEKk3M#t=255

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Dl2xh3nPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1zcwaPXiS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4khL4xWdyCY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0N4xKtVp2o

I have to ask, have you even supported Arsenal for that long Shanks? You seem very misguided when it comes to the topic of Walcott.

Fuck Gnabry. He isn't going to move mountains this year, next year, or even the year after. We need Theo and I'd much rather he be fit for our title run in than some unproven (albeit very talented) kid.

HAHAHAHA, yes walcott is fast and a good finisher. I watched the first 4 videos and they all back up what I say. He just knocks the ball past people and run. Quality defenders have always been able to handle him.
Why did you have to show the liverpool game, that is one of the angriest I have ever been as an Arsenal fan.

I have been to the Emirates a ton of times and just looked at Walcott, the stuff you dont see on the telly. His movement is awful and he is always so reactionary.

dc89

Bf3JAQdCYAEXKBo.png:large

GHG

HAHAHAHA, yes walcott is fast and a good finisher. I watched the first 4 videos and they all back up what I say. He just knocks the ball past people and run. Quality defenders have always been able to handle him.
Why did you have to show the liverpool game, that is one of the angriest I have ever been as an Arsenal fan.

I have been to the Emirates a ton of times and just looked at Walcott, the stuff you dont see on the telly. His movement is awful and he is always so reactionary.

Actually one of his best traits is his movement. He's constantly making runs in behind that don't get spotted by other players. His movement (along with his pace) are his 2 primary attributes that allow him to rack up the numbers year after year.

So go on, give me a list of wingers in the top european leagues who have scored more than 14 league goals over the past 3 years.

I also suggest you read this as it puts some of his numbers into perspective:

He has been in development for a long time (and still is in a lot of ways), but it is wrong to critisise him for what he has produced for us over the last 3 seasons. He has been remarkably consistent.

Salazar

Wow Vidic is going at the end of the season?

United have to buy a quality replacement! Evans, Jones and Smalling can't fill his boots.

Not a huge surprise though, is it. He'll still be unspeakably hard five years from now, but he looks old at times.

Ref who sent off Ronnie is getting chewed to pieces. Christ.

Only punishes slow sloppy defenders but consistently terrorises and scores/assists against the defences of Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham and Man United.

Ooooookkkkk then.

Name me all of the other wingers in the top european leagues who have scored 14 or more league goals.

City were sloppy in defense this season. Tottenham were god awful when he inspired that comeback. Hey he is a good player and has great games now and again. but he lacks consistency and relies on others making mistakes.

Also, it is not hard to name the amount who have done it. Just of the top of my head without checking wikipedia El Shaz did it last year at the age of 20!!! Berardi already has 11 goals. Gervinho scored 15 before coming to Arsenal. Pires put in a few back to back 1 goal seasons.

Anyways none of that really concerns me.

The game at the weekend against palace, would Walcott have made a difference???

Edit: I guess Bale and Lamela too

The thing I'm worried about in the summer is that not only do we need expensive first teamers, but we also need to bring in new squad players in some positions too.

Actually one of his best traits is his movement. He's constantly making runs in behind that don't get spotted by other players. His movement (along with his pace) are his 2 primary attributes that allow him to rack up the numbers year after year.

So go on, give me a list of wingers in the top european leagues who have scored more than 14 league goals over the past 3 years.

I also suggest you read this as it puts some of his numbers into perspective:

He has been in development for a long time (and still is in a lot of ways), but it is wrong to critisise him for what he has produced for us over the last 3 seasons. He has been remarkably consistent.

His runs, he is constantly waiting for Arteta to wake the ball over the top for him.

dc89

Not a huge surprise though, is it. He'll still be unspeakably hard five years from now, but he looks old at times.

Ref who sent off Ronnie is getting chewed to pieces. Christ.

Yeah he's past his best and that's no good for United. Not surprising but it always is kinda surprising when a player with his length of service calls it a day with a club.

Edit: the second part of your post! WTFFFFF. Suspended for a month and banned from ref'ing Real Madrid games. Has this come straight from the King of Spain?

Nero3000

I don't understand why Arsenal reduced Liverpool's allocation. With Spurs I understood because our fans simply don't like one another and aggression can be an issue but to my knowledge our supporters and Liverpool's are not violent towards one another so it's hard to fathom what security concerns Arsenal are talking about.

There has been history in the past with violent incidents involving inebriated Liverpool fans, compounded by a late kick off.

Plus the saftey issue isn't directly with the away fans, but the people in the boxes below the away fans in the upper tier. There has been history of spitting and the like.

GHG

City were sloppy in defense this season. Tottenham were god awful when he inspired that comeback. Hey he is a good player and has great games now and again. but he lacks consistency and relies on others making mistakes.

Also, it is not hard to name the amount who have done it. Just of the top of my head without checking wikipedia El Shaz did it last year at the age of 20!!! Berardi already has 11 goals. Gervinho scored 15 before coming to Arsenal. Pires put in a few back to back 1 goal seasons.

Anyways none of that really concerns me.

The game at the weekend against palace, would Walcott have made a difference???

Edit: I guess Bale and Lamela too

Pires lol. Thats not even remotely recent. Roll out the zimmerframe and get this guy on the pitch in place of Theo.

I said top leagues, Gervinho doesn't even really count but we bought him anyway and Theo outshined him (so what does that in itself tell you?)

So we have:

Bale
Lamela (is flopping in England)
El Sha
Reus
C Ronaldo
Gervinho (we bought and flopped in England)

And thats it (unless I've missed somebody). So you say he's not starting material, but who exactly should we replace him with? The fact that the list above are the only Wingers who can equal or better him statistically says it all. He's a top class winger and the best winger England currently have. Very much deserves a starting place in our team for what he offers us and the work he's put in on his game over the last 5 years.

More reading:

http://eplindex.com/34533/evolution-theo-walcott-stat-analysis.html

Also, name me another player that doesn't rely on other players making mistakes? Every goal that has ever happened is preventable at some stage. Its just that some players are better at exploiting and punishing mistakes than others. And thats what seperates the top players from the rest.

dc89

Just had a fun experience in FIFA 14's career mode playing as AFC Wimbeldon vs. St. Pauli in a pre-season friendly after making a late 3 man substitution...

Alright, I'm a goal behind, might as well make some drastic changes, see what I can get.
2598914-fifa14fj%C3%B6r0.jpg

Hmmm... I know it's a friendly, but I don't think you're allowed to play in the training kit.
2598906-fifa14fj%C3%B6r1.jpg

Wait, why do I have 14 players out on the pitch?
2598908-fifa14fj%C3%B6r3.jpg

Oh of course, they moved the subs bench out on the middle of the pitch.
2598907-fifa14fj%C3%B6r2.jpg

I was going to post another pic of them all 3 sitting on top of each other, but the game crashed. Truly, this is the next generation experience I've always dreamed of. Thanks EA!

From the console screenshot thread. Amazing.

We can just promote some youngsters. Vermijl, Lingard, Powell, and Keane (pls no)/Thorpe should be ready for next season.

I'm not convinced by most of them tbh, apart from Powell who I'm not convinced of as a CM and who is vying for a place in a highly contested position.

Looking at it another way, if we're getting rid of Fabio and Buttner because they're not good enough, on what planet is Vermijl better than even those two?

Pires lol. Thats not even remotely recent. Roll out the zimmerframe and get this guy on the pitch in place of Theo.

I said top leagues, Gervinho doesn't even really count but we bought him anyway and Theo outshined him (so what does that in itself tell you?)

So we have:

Bale
Lamela (is flopping in England)
El Sha
Reus
C Ronaldo
Gervinho (we bought and flopped in England)

And thats it (unless I've missed somebody). So you say he's not starting material, but who exactly should we replace him with? The fact that the list above are the only Wingers who can equal or better him statistically says it all. He's a top class winger and the best winger England currently have. Very much deserves a starting place in our team for what he offers us and the work he's put in on his game over the last 5 years.

More reading:

http://eplindex.com/34533/evolution-theo-walcott-stat-analysis.html

I had said Pires before seeing your most recent thing. You also missed out El Shaz who scored 16 and actually you can't even include Walcott in this list because he hasn't errrrr scored 15 goals in the league :)

Berardi will do it this year and he is under 20.

Walcott has one good season of scoring and you act like he is a god. Let us see him repeat it again. Oh wait we have to wait till next season.

He is a good player, and could have been one of the greatest. But he has no skill. He is missing out on so many goals and assists because he just can't beat his man consistently without the pace.

The only thing that was so shit about Gervinho was his finishing, otherwise he would have been a much better player than Theo. Theo didn't outshine Gervinho. We were expecting the wrong things from him.

Edit: As for the bit you added in later. Just watch top class wingers. They put defenders under pressure. They back them and force them into mistakes that they exploit..

Jack cw

There is some rumor around Munich, that Gündogan has an agreement with Bayern to join their squad. This looks like Kroos is leaving. I hope this isnt true....

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ajax coach Frank De Boer says he would be happy to manage Liverpool or Tottenham in the future, despite rejecting approaches from both clubs.

The 43-year-old is in his fourth season in charge of Ajax, having won the title every year so far in his first managerial role.

De Boer told the BBC World Football Show: "Those two clubs are clubs that I think in the future I could be a manager of. I think the history of the clubs and what you can do with the team is my cup of tea."

But the former Ajax, Barcelona and Rangers defender added: "I'm not really thinking about it because I'm very happy here at Ajax. I'm not in a hurry to leave because everybody is still happy with me.

"I step in my car with a big smile to go to the club. I don't think I'm finished here but there will come a time when I don't like it any more or the club doesn't like me anymore. Then we have to go both ways."

"Tottenham called my manager with the possibility after sacking [Andre] Villas-Boas but I said, 'no, right now it's not the right moment'," he said.

Looks like it's either De Boer or Van Gaal in the summer.

I'm not convinced by most of them tbh, apart from Powell who I'm not convinced of as a CM and who is vying for a place in a highly contested position.

Looking at it another way, if we're getting rid of Fabio and Buttner because they're not good enough, on what planet is Vermijl better than even those two?

I agree Fabio is better, but Vermijl is actually really solid. Buttner is terrible and isn't better than Vermijl. The only reason why he's in the first team is because he's older. He's doing well in the Eredivisie as well on loan. I've considered Vermijl better than Varela for a while as he's more solid defensively. He would be a decent back up for Rafael.

I'm not convinced of Powell as a CM, but he should be a good addition to the attack.

Remember, I'm only regarding them joining the team as squad members and not as full blown first teamers like Januzaj.

Hixx

From the console screenshot thread. Amazing.

This reminds me of a bug I had last night but because the useless PS4 share feature only works when it wants to, I couldn't record it.

Anyway I was getting beat and it was lagging like fuck so I just tried to snap as many of his players as I could, to be a cunt and cost him healing cards/coins. Anyway the ref played advantage like 4 times before the ball finally went out of play.

So it starts the animation of him running, but another player moves in and blocks his path. So this player and the ref are just stuck to each other, turning around in a circle endlessly, both trying to get past each other... I was creased but the time kept running. Eventually (after 20 mins in game) he reset but before the dude could take his freekick the ref ran towards him and started running around the ball - he had to change the taker so the ref would fuck off so he could take the kick. Even after he took it the ref ran back to the centre circle and just ran back and forth over this 10 yard area.

I was fucking howling. Eventually I realised he'd booked 4 of my players in one go.

Elchele

He isnt specialized into spinal disorders. Gündogan is leaving and I hope not to Bayern as Kroos is by far the better player.

Gundogan is a much more complete player than Kroos will ever be, but Kroos is better suited for our system. And that rumor smells like BS. Kroos is going to renew eventually

pappe

Vidic 😭.

We are gonna miss u. Best CB during his prime. He could have still played as a squad player and helped develop our younger CBs.

Evra, Rio and Giggs thinking of calling it a day is good news. They all should have retired last summer.

Moyes has a major rebuilding job in front of him. As if midfield wasnt enough now he has to refresh the defence too.

Jack cw

Gundogan is a much more complete player than Kroos will ever be, but Kroos is better suited for our system. And that rumor smells like BS. Kroos is going to renew eventually

I hope so. We are stacked with midfielders. But I think Pep is crazy enough to realize his vision with 10 midfielders as starters.

Jack cw

I don't like the Idea of getting him, I somehow like Kroos. (If he's in the right mood to play...)

If Bayern really gets him, the crying of Watzke is going to be unbearable. I know that Gündogan is on Bayerns list and if he joins for free after his contract ran out, than its smart but its still daft to get him.
It wouldn't surprise me if that rumor came from inside Bayern to put pressure on Kroos.

Yep. Thats what I think too. They did that with City and Boateng when Bayern was "suddenly" interested in Chelseas Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom