• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

1080398_578117288943029_313157488_n.jpg

Highlights DVD 2013/2014

"How Feyenoord took a 1-0 lead against Ajax twice"

:lol

Danchi

My opinion on Walcott is probably somewhere in the middle. I was probably as critical as Shanks in the past, but I've softened up as Walcott's has improved his finishing and parts of his overall game.

He is an incredibly limited player. Your initial reaction is to play him on the left (David Villa at Barcelona-style) as he's very good at finishing with the inside of his right foot. This isn't an option, though, because his first touch on his left side is just so bad (it's pretty average on his right). I don't think he can play upfront unless it is under specific conditions either. People point to the derby win in the cup, but Spurs played with no defensive midfielder(s) and there was a huge gap between the midfield and defence where Walcott (and Gnabry) had opportunity make runs at the defenders over and over again. The go-to way to play against Arsenal has for a while been to been overload the centre of midfield, soak up pressure, and hit them on the break so this situation doesn't happen very often.

Arsenal are pretty ponderous (as Lambda will attest from his recent viewing) so Walcott needs to be able to contribute to the build-up play. His touch is lacking on his left nor is he strong/skilful enough to hold the ball up in the middle. So that just leaves the right. The main disagreement I have with Shanks is that Walcott has become very good at "his thing." Over the past few seasons, not only has he improved his finishing and crossing, but also the timing of his runs across the fullback, when to pull wide and stretch the play for those in the middle, and even the consistency in tracking back to protect an ever-ongoing Sagna.

Ultimately, I think most people (who can remember the game) would say the best football Arsenal have played this season was the first-half at home to Napoli where Rosicky, Ozil, and Ramsey all comfortably (and quickly) interchanged positions. I don't think Walcott can play in this system. The problem is Arsenal don't seem to be able to most of the time either (they couldn't even keep it up the whole game!). Walcott provides a very good outlet to Arsenal's usual style of play that, at this moment, no-one else can perform as well (Gnabry may be able to in a few years). I've spoken before about players performing certain roles for the team being underrated.

tl;dr It doesn't matter so much if Walcott is limited if he's good at his role. It's about using him correctly (I should have just kept it at this).

Thank fuck its Tottenham-Everton this weekend as well, absolutely needed one or both of them to drop points I think if we fail to beat Arsenal

I'd be so, so happy if we win tomorrow and Spurs draw

edit: Oh ffs. The_Yurter89

If I was a Liverpool fan I wouldn't be worrying about Tottenham or Everton. Neither should be finishing 4th. You need to be asking serious questions of your manager if that happens.

Wilbur

Banned
Arnie, the amount of situations that end in you committing seppuku must make you the most dishonourable man in all of Japan

Arnie

If I was a Liverpool fan I wouldn't be worrying about Tottenham or Everton. Neither should be finishing 4th. You need to be asking serious questions of your manager if that happens.

It's only really Everton that worry me.

I think Spurs will drop too many points before the end of the season with that dope in charge, and United are dead.

Everton, though, just seem to have that mentality which drives them on to get wins from games they shouldn't. It's a bit worrisome. Enough so to keep them around us and pushing us to need a win each week, which is what inevitably causes pressure.

I still think we'll do it, but I wouldn't boil it down to such a degree that it's over.

God, this is one of my favourites.

Best one has to be the one with the shift in focus to the Man Utd fans leaving, think it was at the end of the Newcastle loss

Goddamn, 'Nam, that's what happened! Get me a beer, bitch!'

I want to be an Everton manager again. Who's going to love me, Phil? Who's ever going to love me? [starts crying] Who's going to love me?

Jack cw

Franck is the biggest joke account on this board and does this only for provocation. It works as I want to punch his face everytime I read his posts.

Slizz

Is the tourney in FL or round the country?

Just the final and 3rd place game I think are in Miami, rest are in different locations.

How hard is it to get tickets? It looks like I might be around America when this happens so I might jump on a plane and watch a couple of games!

I didn't order mine last year for the Madrid Chelsea final until 2 days before the game, but I used StubHub. Probably paid 15-20 more dollars than I should have but I had good seats.

Haha, off to a good start, Slizz!

HEY! Lol there was barely enough room for any fans at the event, so much more foreign media than usual and parking filled up hours before it started. They had a private event the night before with more people and supporters.

It's already poppin off though!

2xwUYrx.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
The Fulham striker Hugo Rodallega has accused Rene Meulensteen of showing him a lack of respect by taking him off against Sheffield United.

"I have no relationship with the new manager and I think he has been disrespectful to me," Rodallega is reported to have told Colombian television.

Rodallega was pictured with his head in his hands after being replaced by Ashkan Dejagah in Fulham's FA Cup defeat and appeared close to tears.

"He always keeps his forwards on whether or not they are playing well, so I don't know why he has done this to me," he said of Meulensteen. "It broke my heart.

"I've never gone through a situation like the one on Tuesday in my whole career. I couldn't sleep that night."

The 28-year-old added: "I've had a good career with no acts of indiscipline anywhere.

"But at that moment I felt rage because I wanted to keep playing."

It's more useless than Ashley Young.

http://i.minus.com/itPp6hrRnyN12.gif[/IM][/QUOTE]

Yeah it's pointless but it doesn't offend me or annoy me, you just skim over it innit.

Linius

Is stubhub some kind of third party ticket seller? I saw this guy mentioning that in the Neutral Milk Hotel too. Said he paid 100 dollars for his ticket :/

The Fulham striker Hugo Rodallega has accused Rene Meulensteen of showing him a lack of respect by taking him off against Sheffield United.

"I have no relationship with the new manager and I think he has been disrespectful to me," Rodallega is reported to have told Colombian television.

Rodallega was pictured with his head in his hands after being replaced by Ashkan Dejagah in Fulham's FA Cup defeat and appeared close to tears.

"He always keeps his forwards on whether or not they are playing well, so I don't know why he has done this to me," he said of Meulensteen. "It broke my heart.

"I've never gone through a situation like the one on Tuesday in my whole career. I couldn't sleep that night."

The 28-year-old added: "I've had a good career with no acts of indiscipline anywhere.

"But at that moment I felt rage because I wanted to keep playing."

Yeah it's pointless but it doesn't offend me or annoy me, you just skim over it innit.

Who does that cunt think he is? Messi?

Slizz

Is stubhub some kind of third party ticket seller? I saw this guy mentioning that in the Neutral Milk Hotel too. Said he paid 100 dollars for his ticket :/

Basically, most of it is people selling their own tickets at a higher price than the face.

Danchi

It's owned by eBay, I think. If you try to list tickets on eBay, they will redirect you there.

Linius

Bayern training ground

Bf34MMHIIAARupq.jpg

:lol

Barcelona haters are literally everywhere am I right?

Basically, most of it is people selling their own tickets at a higher price than the face.

Oh I see. I usually go to some sort of Dutch version of Ebay for that stuff. Or by exception I use Seatwave. But these tickets are usually way more than face value, fuck those sellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom