• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
why was the referee suspended? that doesn't make any sense.

Florentino+Perez+Atletico+Madrid+v+Real+Madrid+tkmyDC0h4Khl.jpg

A horrible club in a joke league.

Linius

anXWKte.png

Our boy Kishna at the training today. Hopefully he gets to join the first team soon.

zBWEK2i.jpg

Oh man, this needs a floating head :D

confuziz

Banned
I want PSV to lose against Twente. Twente needs to become champions again, they've got the best side of the Eredivisie imo. I want to see Siem de Jong crying too.

U srs? That was accidental.

You have to divorce what Carroll did from what was actually tried at the arbitration. Was there an obvious error of judgment by Webb?

1. Arm makes contact with top of head;
2. Carroll recklessly swinging arms head height without looking, fact that he's not looking does not mean there's no intention to do so - must take subjective view; and
3. Doesn't hit Chico's face but that isn't determinative.

Based on that matrix of facts, taken as a real time event, has Webb made an obvious error of judgment? Hard to say on the balance of probablities that he has.

Wilbur

Banned
You have to divorce what Carroll did from what was actually tried at the arbitration. Was there an obvious error of judgment by Webb?

2. Carroll recklessly swinging arms head height without looking, fact that he's not looking does not mean there's no intention to do so - must take subjective view; and

Based on that matrix of facts, taken as a real time event, has Webb made an obvious error of judgment? Hard to say on the balance of probablities that he has.

But they're judging it after the event not in real time, with Chico's stupid reaction and the fact Carroll wasn't looking. Odd to me they've deemed it an acceptable punishment. I'd be fuming if it was a United player.

faridmon

From, "I'm not paying £40 for a 2hr demo!" to "Trololool! My 2hr £40 demo looks better than your 2hr £40 demo!"

Kojima, you fucking troll. 😂

GAF (the gaming side) Is just full of morons with unlimited money. I actually applaud Kojima taking of advantage of such idiots. Good on him for making money out of them

I bet most of them will buy Battlefield 5 at launch with all the premium stuff and still complain how broken it is.

Ashes

Banned

1. Is it reasonable to assume it was a red card? No.
2. Is it an obvious error of judgement? Yes.

Can't see the forrest for the trees sometimes. :/

But they're judging it after the event not in real time, with Chico's stupid reaction and the fact Carroll wasn't looking. Odd to me they've deemed it an acceptable punishment. I'd be fuming if it was a United player.

They're not reviewing the event (they're not allowed to under current rules), they're reviewing whether in the circumstances, as the event happened, whether Webb made an obvious error of judgment by giving a red.

1. Is it reasonable to assume it was a red card? No.
2. Is it an obvious error of judgement? Yes.

Can't see the forrest for the trees sometimes. :/

It's reasonable to see a player swing his arms back after a challenge near a players face as he's rising, to assume that he was trying to hit him in the face. Even if on review it was a demonstrably incorrect decision. Hard here because there is a degree of subjectivity in the decision as to what Carroll's intentions were.

Just because you got to see the slow motion replay 10 times and are horrified by Chico's play acting doesn't mean those things have anything to do with how this decision was reached.

You're welcome to hate the system in place though, I think they should just outright review the incident instead. They won't because doing so undermines ref integrity.

Wes

venison crêpe
Anyone watching the opening ceremony? The projection of the world on the ice is pretty cool. Shame about the malfunction.

Andy Carroll lost his arbitration appeal ban starts immediately

The FA are absolutely useless and the rules are shit. Webb makes an error, and the player has to be suspended for Webb's error? Oh, but they leave themselves an out with words like 'obvious'

The world of football is filled with cunts with ties on that love to fuck the game up.

Ashes

Banned
They're not reviewing the event (they're not allowed to under current rules), they're reviewing whether in the circumstances, as the event happened, whether Webb made an obvious error of judgment by giving a red.

It's reasonable to see a player swing his arms back after a challenge near a players face as he's rising, to assume that he was trying to hit him in the face. Even if on review it was an incorrect decision.

Just because you got to see the slow motion replay 10 times and are horrified by Chico's play acting, both of which have nothing to do with how this decision was reached.

You're welcome to hate the system in place though, I think they should just outright review the incident instead. They won't because doing so undermines ref integrity.

Well no. It's not reasonable to assume this. The motivation is very hard to gage and [at best] not at all equivocal. It's a poor ref who calls that 50/50 in my view. And for the ref to call it intentional on a swinging arm like that is pretty awful.

edit: Having said that, I do agree with your conclusion.

FA said:
An Independent Arbitration Tribunal convened under FA Rule K has today dismissed a legal challenge brought by West Ham United FC and Andy Carroll in relation to the red card received by Carroll in the match between West Ham United FC and Swansea City FC on 1 February 2014.

The Independent Tribunal resolved that there was no serious issue to be tried and also awarded The FA its costs.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

That's that then. Same as saying 'go home ur drunk' in legal parlance.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL I love it!

Probably the worst post in the history of the internet.

I am worried about Pirlo in Brazil. I havr been worried since Euro12. He is our most important player and we don't have any real alternatives. Verratti has not seen much game time so far. Pirlo was very average in the confed cup and I am worried about the heat after a long campaign in Italy. I am sure he will be fine for the group stages, but will he have enough to get us to the final.
anything less than total victory will be considered a failure.

Zabojnik

I am worried about Pirlo in Brazil. I havr been worried since Euro12. He is our most important player and we don't have any real alternatives. Verratti has not seen much game time so far. Pirlo was very average in the confed cup and I am worried about the heat after a long campaign in Italy. I am sure he will be fine for the group stages, but will he have enough to get us to the final.

pirloapproves.gif

Barzul

Can't see Italy winning it, when Germany, Spain and Brazil are in contention. But who knows maybe I'll be surprised.

What the fuck @ Barry from Eastenders at the Indoor Bowls opening ceremony.

Bizarre.

Brazil won't be winning the World Cup. Spain will bore their way to the cup as they did at the Euros

Can't see Italy winning it, when Germany, Spain and Brazil are in contention. But who knows maybe I'll be surprised.

If we face Germany, i back us 100% Spain 50% and Brazil 0% Brazil are the only team I fear. The only team we have a losing record against, except for a few teams we have played a couple of times.

There is no harder team to beat in the knockout stages of tournaments than us.

Man I am so pumped for it. I can't wait to see who the CT picks for the March friendly. That will surely be our WC squad.

edit: I only see Italy, Brazil, Argentina and Spain winning this. Germany might get to the final, but will end up being runners up again.

Blablurn

the internet doesnt help me, so i have to ask you. what are discretionary spendings? spendings for fun and extra activities for mandatory stuff for living?

Koko

Banned

That's how it always starts. People never take in consideration Italy and then all of the sudden they are 2-0 up in the final and that it's when people start to think that Italy might win it.

If we face Germany, i back us 100% Spain 50% and Brazil 0% Brazil are the only team I fear. The only team we have a losing record against, except for a few teams we have played a couple of times.

There is no harder team to beat in the knockout stages of tournaments than us.

Man I am so pumped for it. I can't wait to see who the CT picks for the March friendly. That will surely be our WC squad.

edit: I only see Italy, Brazil, Argentina and Spain winning this. Germany might get to the final, but will end up being runners up again.

The fact it'll be the last good one til 2026 is adding so much hype for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom