• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.
liverpool will win tonight.

otherwise i'll have any arsenal related avatar until liverpool win their next game

here's an Ozil avatar:

mbBHmqu.png

Was just watching Ronaldo videos.

My gosh. He was just lethal in his prime. Speed, pace, strength and unbelievable skill. I don't think any other player I have ever seen combined all this atributes. He would just rip through midfields and into the defence so quickly.

He was never a Messi level finisher who could just stroke the ball anywhere into the back of the net, but I am sure he holds the record for number of 1 on 1 chances. Nobody could catch him. 47 goals in 49 games for Barca back when he was 20 was an unbelievable record.

FootballFan

Haven't you heard? We just need to get it to the byline.

It is ridiculous when you consider that they now have Mata. Mata is a gem, and when I see coaches use systems that do not allow these players to express themselves to their full ability I die a little bit inside.

Sad stuff, coaches who move players around in order to utilise their strengths and ability are my favourites. Sacchi, Trappatoni, Hitzfeld, Wenger, SAF, Jose and Guardiola just to name a few, because most coaches do this. It's just that it seems Moyes is a prisoner of the squad he inherited. Now he has the key to be free (Mata), but he does not know how to use it.

Is that a heat map from his last match?

I really hope he steps up today. I feel like he is playing at 70% of what he did for RM. I am just hoping it is first season syndrome. He does create a lot of opportunities for us that would not normally exist. Maybe it is just he is being spectacular without actually looking it. 4 goals and 8 assists. He is second in key passes and seventh in through balls.

Is it wrong of me to be expecting more from a 42 million quid signing?

Roma - Arsenal simply has to happen next season in CL. Would be an amazing pair of matches, imo.

Don't, i can't bare to watch Totti play against Arsenal. I went to the Arsenal-Roma in 09(i think). I always have such such conflicting emotions when I watch Arsenal vs Italian teams. I want Arsenal to win, but I don't want Italian teams to get knocked out. I still think the best Arsenal performance I have seen was against Juventus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il448c2fpOs

Lightning

Banned
I really hope he steps up today. I feel like he is playing at 70% of what he did for RM. I am just hoping it is first season syndrome. He does create a lot of opportunities for us that would not normally exist. Maybe it is just he is being spectacular without actually looking it. 4 goals and 8 assists. He is second in key passes and seventh in through balls.

Is it wrong of me to be expecting more from a 42 million quid signing?
I think he's been performing to an acceptable standard for someone in their first year needing to get the likes of Giroud to score. He influences every game even when he's not directly involved in goals. The amount of key passes that Ozil makes is frightening and when he gets going he is going to be amazing because he's been great so far.

You can't expect RM like performances when we don't have the world class talent all over the pitch of a Real Madrid to compliment him. Easier to get assists when you have Ronaldo/Higuain/Di Maria around you. Ozil needs to get Giroud and Bendtner to score, much harder task as they are different players and Ozil needs to adjust to assist them which he does quite well.

Oziil's stats would be much better if we didn't waste chances.

I think he's been performing to an acceptable standard for someone in their first year needing to get the likes of Giroud to score. He influences every game even when he's not directly involved in goals. The amount of key passes that Ozil makes is frightening and when he gets going he is going to be amazing because he's been great so far.

You can't expect RM like performances when we don't have thew world class talent all over the pitch of a Real Madrid to compliment him. Easier to get assists when you have Ronaldo/Higuain/Di Maria around you. Ozil needs to get Giroud and Bendtner to score, much harder task as they are different players and Ozil needs to adjust to assist them which he does quite well.

Oziil's stats would be much better if we didn't waste chances.

All true, but it just looks like he is playing within himself. I want to see him trying to get into the box more and trying to make something happen for himself. Sometimes I feel he is to pass centric.

I actually think that with Ozil playing in the number 10 role, this would have been the best season for Walcott to start up front. Giroud plays too deep, and with Theo's pace and finishing would be a lot better playing as an Ian Wright type number 9.
I have always liked Theo, I just don't think he is a good enough winger/inside forward

I don't think he'd take it unless he was out of a job in the buildup to the World Cup, or had permission from his club to do both jobs at once

I'm sure he had plenty of offers from Middle Eastern clubs and the like when he was between Inter and Napoli, but he bided his time. Obviously his career could completely go down the shitter between now and then, so fuck knows :p

Not giving up on third or higher unless we fail to win today, since we have Asenal, Chelsea and City at home. Beating all 3 is very, very unlikely, but it could happen, in which case we could theoretically gain 3 points on all of them. We need to put some form and momentum together again though, Villa and West Brom had the distinct feel of a season stalling.

@Wilbs, doesn't it take you well over an hour to get to work? Balls to working a 4 hour shift if so

@Lightning, sometimes it seemed like Holloway just couldn't be bothered to do any defensive tactical coaching

Lightning

Banned
All true, but it just looks like he is playing within himself. I want to see him trying to get into the box more and trying to make something happen for himself. Sometimes I feel he is to pass centric.

I actually think that with Ozil playing in the number 10 role, this would have been the best season for Walcott to start up front. Giroud plays too deep, and with Theo's pace and finishing would be a lot better playing as an Ian Wright type number 9.
I have always liked Theo, I just don't think he is a good enough winger/inside forward
Drop the Theo shit. I've yet to see any Arsenal fan agree.

Ozil plays within himself because he exerts himself only when he needs to or when there is an absolute reason to. You don't need to be running all over the pitch to be doing your part. He's thinking 2 or 3 passes ahead and I've seen many times Ozil will get the ball and take 2 players with him to free up space for other players and when the understanding gets better, which it will, as Ozil is a class above the rest of our squad it will be even better.

You properly watch Ozil during games and he's doing more than what many realize. And I find it great that he doesn't run all over the pitch, he doesn't pull hamstrings, constant muscle injuries, purely because of that. Doesn't get kicked off the ball because he's too skillful for that and releases passes before that happens unlike Wilshere.

Too much expected of Ozil. He's doing great.

@Lightning, sometimes it seemed like Holloway just couldn't be bothered to do any defensive tactical coaching
It's not just the defense but Palace's attack was hardly great when he was there. He basically got them promoted, which was great, and rather than learn from his Blackpool errors he went and brought a whole heap of shit players and then realized he was in over his head and quit. Pulis doesn't have a magic wand, he simply taught the players discipline and structure and as a result Palace are grinding results.

As far as I'm concerned the Holloway shouldn't manage in the PL again. He's guff.

Ozil plays within himself because he exerts himself only when he needs to or when there is an absolute reason to. You don't need to be running all over the pitch to be doing your part. He's thinking 2 or 3 passes ahead and I've seen many times Ozil will get the ball and take 2 players with him to free up space for other players and when the understanding gets better, which it will, as Ozil is a class above the rest of our squad it will be even better.

You properly watch Ozil during games and he's doing more than what many realize. And I find it great that he doesn't run all over the pitch, he doesn't pull hamstrings, constant muscle injuries, purely because of that. Doesn't get kicked off the ball because he's too skillful for that and releases passes before that happens unlike Wilshere.

Too much expected of Ozil. He's doing great.

Its funny that he's criticised for not getting involved enough and sprinting around, but he's always in space to receive a pass. Whatever he's doing, it's working. You'd perhaps hope for a few more goals for the price, but he's doing fine, especially considering the fact its his first season in a new, completely different league

Salazar

Darren Fletcher has launched a passionate defence of the Manchester United midfield after it has been singled out for criticism in some quarters.

The loyal club servant feels a lot of the work undertaken by his fellow midfielders has been under-appreciated, even though it played an important role in the club's success. By providing a tactical insight into the role, he was able to address some of the questions that have been posed in the media.

"Yes it has," he replied, when asked by MUTV if the criticism has annoyed him. "I don’t think it is fair. Not at all. Even when we win, it’s 'We need a new midfield' so it’s going to be even more of an issue when we’re losing. We lose as a team and win as a team.

"The midfield players at this club, especially in the last few years, have probably gone unnoticed and done a lot of work to help other people perform. It didn’t bother us as long as the manager and players knew we were important to the team. That is all that mattered and maybe we were covering for other people by doing extra work to allow the flair players to go and attack.

"You have got to remember we play 4-4-2 a lot at United so it’s not as if there are three in there and two can bomb forward. Most of the time, we are up against three other ones so we’re having to cover.

"There is a lot more to it than simply saying we should be getting on the ball, creating and scoring goals. That is not really our role at Manchester United, especially in the last few years, and that has been explained to us. We try to perform the way the manager has asked us to perform."

Choose your battles, Darren.

Do we know when Lucas is back yet? He got injured 3 weeks ago, and I'm still not sure if Lucas' couple of weeks, or B-Rod's couple of months prognosis was correct

Lightning

Banned
It's looking very likely we will be need a new right back this summer. It doesn't look like Sagna is interested in staying. Such a shame to destabilise our defence but can hardly blame him for leaving.

Been a loyal player and will have my full respect and blessing wherever he goes. Still have some hope he stays but not looking good at the moment.

Saying Theo would have been good to play up front this season gets that type of response.

bud agrees that Theo isn't good enough to be a winger. Most of footygaf agree he isn't good enough/ a top player

As for Ozil, he just looks like he is running less than I have seen him in the past. You don't get anywhere playing it to safe. He is having a great season, but this month he really needs to step up. It comes with the price tag and with the reputation as one of the best number 10s in the game. I agree with everything else you said about his passing and movement.

It's looking very likely we will be need a new right back this summer. It doesn't look like Sagna is interested in staying. Such a shame to destabilise our defence but can hardly blame him for leaving.

Been a loyal player and will have my full respect and blessing wherever he goes. Still have some hope he stays but not looking good at the moment.

I still remembered him playing the day his brother died. Will always have my respect. The best defending RB in the world since he joined us.

De Sciglio is the future.

Lightning

Banned
Saying Theo would have been good to play up front this season gets that type of response.

bud agrees that Theo isn't good enough to be a winger. Most of footygaf agree he isn't good enough/ a top player
player.
Most of footygaf agree Walcott isn't good enough?

And if Theo isn't good enough to be a winger than neither is Podolski, Gnabry, Cazorla, Rosciky or Chamberlain meaning we have no wingers because Walcott will outscore and out assist pretty much all of those players.

Most of footygaf agree Walcott isn't good enough?

And if Theo isn't good enough to be a winger than neither is Podolski, Gnabry, Cazorla, Rosciky or Chamberlain meaning we have no wingers because Walcott will outscore and out assist pretty much all of those players.

Podolski and Rosicky are not wingers. Cazorla, I guess is a Spanish type winger. Ox and Gnabry haven't played consistently on the wing. Gnabry is already twice the player Theo was at the same age.

Wilbur

Banned
@Wilbs, doesn't it take you well over an hour to get to work? Balls to working a 4 hour shift if so

If I time it right it can take me 45 minutes, but I always leave my house and hour and a half before I get there. I don't usually work Saturdays but I'm having to cover for someone on holiday. They tried making me work Valentines night as well when I have plans for a curry and a jerk so furious that the sound barrier is punctured by the force of my ejaculate

what's everyone else's plans for valentines day
dPrJaGc.png

^Five or six Supernatural episodes in a row.
De Sciglio needs to join Barca. Impressive every time I watch Milan.

NO.

tumblr_mzunihNj2v1qhdv2qo1_500.gif

Our future captain. Go rob Inter or something.

@Shanks: I'd like to see Galliani sign him but I'm afraid his wage could be too much for Milan. At least until we have Mexes in our team.

Yeah, they love having special days here.

VD is girls to guy
March 14th is known as White day. Boys give to girls.
April 14th is black day. When lonely people eat black noodles together
May 14 is rose day. Boys give girls roses.
November 11th is pepero day where couples give each other the Japanese chocolate sticks
There is also green day, when couples are meant to drink soju in fields together.

Milan or Barca?

Vidic isn't really the greatest passer/distributor of the ball. Don't think he'd fit in tbh

Milan.

A back four of De Sciglio-Vidic-Rami-Abate would be decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom