• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

I was about to make a jolly post about having a mug of tea and a Saturday cleared for football and you go and drop this bombshell.

How sad.

Wilb do you know what you're doing when Uni finishes?

Wilbur

Banned
I was about to make a jolly post about having a mug of tea and a Saturday cleared for football and you go and drop this bombshell.

How sad.

Wilb do you know what you're doing when Uni finishes?

Not a clue. Good thing is with an English degree there's millions of avenues, so I was just going to apply for everything that tickled my fancy, be that advertising, PR, marketing, whatever teaching course I can find, journalism or writing ones... a lot of things sound potentially interesting to me, considering I need to do my Science GCSE again if I wanna do a proper teaching course. Will probably just go full time at Nandos while looking, maybe look to see if they even have anything on the corporate side of things.

I did go to my careers office but they were fucking rubbish. Old woman who gave me a paper saying "what do YOU want to do?"

You're supposed to tell me you old bint

tri_willy

here's an Ozil avatar:

mbBHmqu.png

excellent...

Hoping Joe Allen doesn't start today. Think he could get them into a nice groove if he's on his game, and if that happens I'm not convinced Ox will have the defensive discipline to cope. Might be best to go with Arteta-Rosa as the pivot with Ox wide right against Cissokho.

We'll have a great chance if we show up, but will need a repeat of the Emi performance from Kos, BFG and Arteta.

Woj; Sagna, Mertesacker, Kos, Gibbs; Arteta, Rosicky; Ox, Ozil, Cazorla; Giroud

Btw, Rashida Jones is on Saturday Kitchen.

Arnie

Not a clue. Good thing is with an English degree there's millions of avenues, so I was just going to apply for everything that tickled my fancy, be that advertising, PR, marketing, whatever teaching course I can find, journalism or writing ones... a lot of things sound potentially interesting to me, considering I need to do my Science GCSE again if I wanna do a proper teaching course. Will probably just go full time at Nandos while looking, maybe look to see if they even have anything on the corporate side of things.

I did go to my careers office but they were fucking rubbish. Old woman who gave me a paper saying "what do YOU want to do?"

You're supposed to tell me you old bint

That whole 'do what you want to do' mantra is pure and utter gunk, and I wished people had been more honest about life. Realistically you can't do what you want to do, nor, to be totally honest, should you think that way.

You should look to do something that's moderately enjoyable, creatively fulfilling, allows you to grow as a person and offers enough growth to sustain your ballooning life costs (as your aspirations and wants increase with age).

GQman2121

Banned
Go to grad school as soon as you can and knock out as much as humanly possible as fast as you can. I'm learning this the hard way. The income gap between what a college grad earns compared to someone who has a masters degree is only getting larger. The opportunities that you have and will be offered right out of grad school are astronomical. Companies want to hire young people that they think they can mold. Having a MA immediately puts you into a higher starting salary pool. I'm talking like up to 50% higher starting salary than someone with a BA. It's kind of absurd really, but I've seen it continue to happen for years now.

Arnie

Very interesting article on the banned website regarding Martinez's methods coming into Everton and how he bans talk of the opposing team whilst preferring to focus on their own game in training rather than how to stifle the opponent.

What's most interesting is how it's all revealed by Tim Howard, who words it in a way that implies Moyes was the opposite. He reveals that it's a huge weight off their mind to not be driving into training thinking 'oh this is looming at the weekend' and admits that he needs to respect that there are numerous approaches to reaching the same goals.

I wonder how much of that negative mindset Moyes has taken to United? Considering he's brought his entire backroom staff who've been working under him for all those years I'd say it'd be pretty difficult to just ditch them and start afresh with completely new methods.

It's points like this which make a mockery of the whole 'give him time' argument because quite honestly it might not be a time sensitive issue, but rather an inherent flaw in the Moyes regime.

tumblr_mshjstTdvC1qaorn7o1_500.gif

Go to grad school as soon as you can and knock out as much as humanly possible as fast as you can. I'm learning this the hard way. The income gap between what a college grad earns compared to someone who has a masters degree is only getting larger. The opportunities that you have and will be offered right out of grad school are astronomical. Companies want to hire young people that they think they can mold. Having a MA immediately puts you into a higher starting salary pool. I'm talking like up to 50% higher starting salary than someone with a BA. It's kind of absurd really, but I've seen it continue to happen for years now.
It doesn't really work like that here in the UK.

The number of people who come and do work experience at my place who're 25+ with an MA but no job is astronomical. Here you can go straight into the upper echelons of graduate employment with a simple BA as long as you show something about you. I think assessment days and interviews do more for your prospect of being hired than an MA on your CV, although I could be fucking insane with that judgement.

Again, at my work I've had drunken conversations with directors and CEOs who said they hired me from my graduate day because of my behaviour and performance then, rather than what was on my CV. I've not doubt it helps you get into a room, but if you don't show much beyond that your prospects are pretty poop. For reference there was an Oxford graduate on the grad day and he was quite honestly hopeless. I've no doubt he's smart as fuck and qualified up the yazoo, but when it came to brainstorming an idea or selling it back in a pitch he basically poached himself on the boardroom carpet.

Wilbur

Banned
That whole 'do what you want to do' mantra is pure and utter gunk, and I wished people had been more honest about life. Realistically you can't do what you want to do, nor, to be totally honest, should you think that way.

You should look to do something that's moderately enjoyable, creatively fulfilling, allows you to grow as a person and offers enough growth to sustain your ballooning life costs (as your aspirations and wants increase with age).

Yeah, agree with all of this. Get me a job, Ahnuld.

You feel like where you are now is fulfilling those? Certainly seems so, that picture on Facebook of you surrounded by punan made my entire world brighter

Wilbur

Banned
Double post, FUCK. Cum on netjeff

Very interesting article on the banned website regarding Martinez's methods coming into Everton and how he bans talk of the opposing team whilst preferring to focus on their own game in training rather than how to stifle the opponent.

What's most interesting is how it's all revealed by Tim Howard, who words it in a way that implies Moyes was the opposite. He reveals that it's a huge weight off their mind to not be driving into training thinking 'oh this is looming at the weekend' and admits that he needs to respect that there are numerous approaches to reaching the same goals.

I wonder how much of that negative mindset Moyes has taken to United? Considering he's brought his entire backroom staff who've been working under him for all those years I'd say it'd be pretty difficult to just ditch them and start afresh with completely new methods.

It's points like this which make a mockery of the whole 'give him time' argument because quite honestly it might not be a time sensitive issue, but rather an inherent flaw in the Moyes regime.

We're far too reactive a team, that's true. Not much else to say really, I'm slowly coming along to that line of thinking that it's just a step too far for Moyes. He's a fine, fine coach. But maybe not for us.

I don't know. We'll see between now and the end of the season; if he doesn't start RVP/Roo/Adnan/Mata against Fulham at home, he's never going to.

Arnie

Yeah, agree with all of this. Get me a job, Ahnuld.

You feel like where you are now is fulfilling those? Certainly seems so, that picture on Facebook of you surrounded by punan made my entire world brighter

The graduate scheme is open, I think there's no harm in giving it a go.

And yes, I'd say I am. I've been handed my perfect client list (after complaining that the ones I was on weren't fulfilling me) and my two mentors who I immediately feed into and work alongside are incredibly inspiring and helpful. One of them in particular, who's now a director at an absurdly young (all relative, he's mid twenties) age is one of the smartest people I've ever met and I can learn so much from him every single day.

FootballFan

The graduate scheme is open, I think there's no harm in giving it a go.

And yes, I'd say I am. I've been handed my perfect client list (after complaining that the ones I was on weren't fulfilling me) and my two mentors who I immediately feed into and work alongside are incredibly inspiring and helpful. One of them in particular, who's now a director at an absurdly young (all relative, he's mid twenties) age is one of the smartest people I've ever met and I can learn so much from him every single day.

Would you compare it to being coached by B.Rod?

WJD

On Newcastle at home:

"We'll try and make it difficult for them."

subtles

So apparently the last time we beat Arsenal at home was when Crouch turned Kolo inside out for his Hat Trick. That was 7 years ago.

WJD

All this graduate talk is making me even more scared/indecisive.

I've got 4 months.

Four fucking months.

Wilbur

Banned

I've got 4 months.

Four fucking months.

Innit. I'm terrified. Just realised I haven't even began to look into graduate schemes, and I'm in danger of not getting a 2:1 if I don't up my game.

WJD

Innit. I'm terrified. Just realised I haven't even began to look into graduate schemes, and I'm in danger of not getting a 2:1 if I don't up my game.

I should be alright in getting my 2:1 provided there are no major cock-ups, and a law degree is pretty applicable wherever I want to go.

I just don't know where. Haven't looked either. It's scary.

Hixx

"“It’s huge for us,” Hull’s former Sunderland boss Bruce acknowledged at the time, reflecting: “We’ve restored a 10-point gap between the two teams with more a quarter of the season now gone.

“It might sound easy to recoup that gap at this stage of the season, but far from it – it is not easy to win three games in a row in this division.

“That means we can look forward to staying ahead of them for some time, which is important – we’re 10 points above both Sunderland and Crystal Palace."

If we win today we go 3 points ahead of them.

guuuuuuus8nydj.png
guuuuuuus8nydj.png
guuuuuuus8nydj.png
guuuuuuus8nydj.png

Arnie

I've got 4 months.

Four fucking months.

The period from March last year until about September was so awful. Hated leaving University and my mates (who're mostly all still there on a masters, or travelling) and hopping across the country to start I job I wasn't even sure about. In fucking London.

All level's out, though. Whereas in those months I would have given anything for another year, now I probably wouldn't go back if it were offered. I feel like a heroin addict who's finished rehab.

bud

Hoping Joe Allen doesn't start today. Think he could get them into a nice groove if he's on his game, and if that happens I'm not convinced Ox will have the defensive discipline to cope. Might be best to go with Arteta-Rosa as the pivot with Ox wide right against Cissokho.

We'll have a great chance if we show up, but will need a repeat of the Emi performance from Kos, BFG and Arteta.

Woj; Sagna, Mertesacker, Kos, Gibbs; Arteta, Rosicky; Ox, Ozil, Cazorla; Giroud

Btw, Rashida Jones is on Saturday Kitchen.

fucking hell, i haven't watched saturday kitchen in ages. i go to bed way too late nowadays to make it. nick frost, who is a bro, was on graham norton promoting his new film in which she also stars. shame she wasn't there as well.

Arnie

fucking hell, i haven't watched saturday kitchen in ages. i go to bed way too late nowadays to make it. nick frost, who is a bro, was on graham norton promoting his new film in which she also stars. shame she wasn't there as well.

Are you English?

I should be alright in getting my 2:1 provided there are no major cock-ups, and a law degree is pretty applicable wherever I want to go.

I just don't know where. Haven't looked either. It's scary.

A fellow lawyer? It is my dream to start a Law degree in Korean in 2016. Hopefully by then my Korean will be fluent.

subtles

GeoffArsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal
Attention. All fans traveling to Liverpool. Junction 10 of the M6 is closed. Avoid. Traffic at a standstill. RT please to let fans know

All according to Keikaku.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

This is the same kind of thing that AVB did. Always focused on how to deal with the opposition rather than impress our own game on them. Sherwood has perhaps gone too far the other way but the football we were playing under AVB was not causing teams any real problems.

Arnie

This is the same kind of thing that AVB did. Always focused on how to deal with the opposition rather than impress our own game on them. Sherwood has perhaps gone too far the other way but the football we were playing under AVB was not causing teams any real problems.
Absolutely, watching Spurs this season was absurd. So much negativity.

So strange, too, because Spurs played some sublime football last season, admittedly with a get out of jail free card to hand.
I'm currently de-juicing a bag of olives and you're getting ready to jerk over Jordan Henderson

This isn't fair
I'm about to head to the cafe for a fry up but I'm worried Aly Cissokho's feet will cause me to regurgitate it all over me Macboook.

#PositiveFootball #Somethingisn'tright
tumblr_mzb64gqMxA1qhkfn8o1_500.jpg

LTWheels

The period from March last year until about September was so awful. Hated leaving University and my mates (who're mostly all still there on a masters, or travelling) and hopping across the country to start I job I wasn't even sure about. In fucking London.

All level's out, though. Whereas in those months I would have given anything for another year, now I probably wouldn't go back if it were offered. I feel like a heroin addict who's finished rehab.

I've had that twice.

Finished Uni in 2010, then adjusted back to London. Then went back into education a year later, which finally finished last summer. When it ended I felt really down at first;now I'm fucking glad it's all over and that I'm starting my career.

WJD

See this is the frustrating thing for me; I do think I'm ready to leave University. I'm just terrified of landing in a job that'll have me spending all my time miserable and wishing I'd chosen to try do something I actually loved.

The quarter-life crisis is real.

LTWheels

See this is the frustrating thing for me; I do think I'm ready to leave University. I'm just terrified of landing in a job that'll have me spending all my time miserable and wishing I'd chosen to try do something I actually loved.

The quarter-life crisis is real.

It really depends if there is something very specific you want to do. The reality of people's 'dream job' is very different to what they think it will be. There is no point worrying about it as you never will known what the place/people you will work at will be like until you get there. Always the option to go back into education to get a specific qualification. Those kind of course are a very different environment to Uni.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom