• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulga

Banned
How did you become a supporter of your favourite football team? In my case i received a lot of influence from my dad who is a Bayern fan since the 60s.

Favorite uncle came in one day with both Juve and Real shirts for me. Yes, I'm that easy. I could have become a Barca or *shudder* Inter fan if he'd come in with other shirts.

Good thing he didn't follow the PL or I might even be one of these gooner wankers

Batigol

Banned
Spurs fans, you think you'll get rid of Soldado in the summer? He clearly doesn't fit into your system of play and has really shown how limited he is as a forward unless he's being spoon fed crosses or passes in the box

Favorite uncle came in one day with both Juve and Real shirts for me. Yes, I'm that easy. I could have become a Barca or *shudder* Inter fan if he'd come in with other shirts.

Good thing he didn't like the EPL or I might even be one of these gooner wankers

Why did you have to ruin it?

My brother had started supporting Arsenal in 2000 I think, and I wanted to support someone as well, but not the same team.

My criteria were:

-History of success and relevance
-Decent at the time, but not great.
-Stability
-Nice kit

Liverpool was the only option really, especially since Owen was one of the only players I'd heard of because of his WC98 exploits.

Only really started supporting us, keeping up with every result and watching every game I could, in 2006, so I missed the majority of the CL run and FA Cup run :(

pulga

Banned
Why did you have to ruin it?

BeRhtE1IIAAXG5E.jpg:large

pulga

Banned
My brother had started supporting Arsenal in 2000 I think, and I wanted to support someone as well, but not the same team.

My criteria were:

-History of success and relevance
-Decent at the time, but not great.
-Stability
-Nice kit

Liverpool was the only option really, especially since Owen was one of the only players I'd heard of because of his WC98 exploits.

Only really started supporting us, keeping up with every result and watching every game I could, in 2006, so I missed the majority of the CL run and FA Cup run :(

how old are you hitcher

King_Moc

Banned
I hope Rodgers is here for decades.

Just screams 'Liverpool manager' atm, and did from very early on. Bit of a tit at times, but who isn't?

Agree 100%. As for a the bit of a tit thing, he's not so bad when compared to the likes of Mourinho or Ferguson, so i'm ok with it. Questioning where that ref was from was a bit silly though.

My method of viewing the game is working perfectly. Please gods let it stay that way! Might even plug it into my TV. I want a beer but I don't trust this Japanese cold medicine with alcohol. /blog

Arnie

I've said it before and I'll say it again, when the game's kicked off I quite like our away and third kits.

Fry

im trying to wrap my head around myself in 2000 as a 10 year old boy deciding what team I should support because of fucking stability, of all things :lol

hitcher pls

First you should re-think you mathematical methods

how old are you hitcher

24, I was a latecomer to the sport :p

No good World Cup memories for me :(

We'll win it this year though

Fans who call their club 'they' instead of 'we' are strange to me

@pulga,I just wanted a team that wasn't likely to go suddenly from title-contenders to relegation candidates within a season really :p

King_Moc

Banned
I've said it before and I'll say it again, when the game's kicked off I quite like our away and third kits.

They look ok from far away, when watching on TV. Close up, they do look a lot like someone threw up beetroot on them or something.

L1NETT

Hitch did you have a supporters equation or something. Unnervingly methodical haha

Also it wasn't when we beat you in (may?) 2000 that made you start supporting pool was it

Suen

im trying to wrap my head around myself in 2000 as a 10 year old boy deciding what team I should support because of fucking stability, of all things :lol

hitcher pls
In 2000 you were 46. Pulga pls don't you even know your own age.

Hitch did you have a supporters equation or something. Unnervingly methodical haha

Also it wasn't when we beat you in (may?) 2000 that made you start supporting pool was it

I have very vague memories/delusions of us beating you 5-0 at some point. Did we relegate you as well?

Is Klose is the most underrated international striker of the last 20 years? Every world cup he scores like 4 or 5 goals, and people just brush it off with a 'not as good as Ronaldo lol'

pulga

Banned
24, I was a latecomer to the sport :p

No good World Cup memories for me :(

We'll win it this year though

Fans who call their club 'they' instead of 'we' are strange to me

@pulga,I just wanted a team that wasn't likely to go suddenly from title-contenders to relegation candidates within a season really :p

I just find it hard to believe that as a 10 year old you were ticking off all those boxes to find a team! Sounds too in depth for a kid :3

First you should re-think you mathematical methods

You would not be able to understand it, because you can't even understand maths ;p

In 2000 you were 46. Pulga pls don't you even know your own age.

what the bloody fuck are you mongs on about. I was 10 years old in 2000. Learn to read. You guys just legitimately gave me a headache, had to check the calendar to see if we're in 2014 and not in some alternate dimension. Not surprised it came from deluded gooners and a flip floppety cunt.

Have you seen the new kits for next season Liverpool-GAF? Away is apparently yellow, 3rd is an interesting charcoal grey with a River Plate style red stripe. Don't like the yellow, but the 3rd is interesting to me.

L1NETT

I have very vague memories/delusions of us beating you 5-0 at some point. Did we relegate you as well?

Watcha talkin bout lad, can't remember that. You beat us both times in 2000/1 (our glorious Intertoto year) when we got relegated with Man City and....shit another team, no idea who.

We beat Chelsea that year though.

Klose is the most underrated striker of the last 20 years, in England at least as far as I can tell. Every world cup he scores like 4 or 5 goals, and people just brush it off with a 'not as good as Ronaldo lol'

It's impressive how he improved his playing, too. In his early days, it was mainly cross it in and Klose scores with a header. But then you have the matches in the last few years, for example against Holland (I think?), in which he just killed it playing amazing football with Müller and Özil.

GorillaJu

WBA have one of the PL's best defensive mids in Football Manager, George Thorne. Managed to sign him for my Derby team, and just googled his name to see he's actually on loan at Derby right now :lol

Is he playing well/getting game time, anyone know?

King_Moc

Banned
Have you seen the new kits for next season Liverpool-GAF? Away is apparently yellow, 3rd is an interesting charcoal grey with a River Plate style red stripe. Don't like the yellow, but the 3rd is interesting to me.

Charcoal Grey interests me. Do you have a link?

Edit: found it:

img-liverpool-fantasy-away-jersey-2014-15-13766

Double edit: seems fake. Shame, i like.

I just find it hard to believe that as a 10 year old you were ticking off all those boxes to find a team! Sounds too in depth for a kid :3

I wasn't sat there with an Excel document, crossreferencing PL clubs with distance to Maidenhead, trophies per year, goals per game, position in the Forbes rich-list, turnover and year-on-year growth.

Its just I never had the 'snap' moment like most do which ends up with them supporting teir particular clubs, I decided I wanted to follow someone and needed some basic criteria to decide :p

Fry

I thought they were fan made?

BfZSgeMCEAArkHi.jpg

Love the yellow kit.

Zabojnik

heading to the pub at 8ish!

gonna be packed tonight full of naughty drunken gringas huehuehuehue

Dat patonza.

I became a Juve fan just to piss off my father (he is a Fiorentina fan)

brendannod.gif

My story is somewhat similar. Both my grandfather and father are Juve fans, but I actually became interested in football and Juve when all my annoying little friends were rooting for Milan in the 90s. Ever the contratian, I had to pick Juve, which at the time was going through a slump. The rest is history. GLORY GLORY VECCHIA SIGNORA! <3

sohois

WBA have one of the PL's best defensive mids in Football Manager, George Thorne. Managed to sign him for my Derby team, and just googled his name to see he's actually on loan at Derby right now :lol

Is he playing well/getting game time, anyone know?

That's nothing, I was playing FM09 as York City in the conference and had a young midfielder on loan from Leeds. Looked him up on the internet only to find out he was on loan, to York.

GorillaJu

I like the third kit a lot. Away looks pretty dire, home looks average. I'll get a 3rd kit this year.

pulga

Banned
I wasn't sat there with an Excel document, crossreferencing PL clubs with distance to Maidenhead, trophies per year, goals per game, position in the Forbes rich-list, turnover and year-on-year growth.

well that's exactly what it sounds like
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
"oy mate whats the average of home grown talent promoted to the first team? erm seems stable enough"

what the bloody fuck are you mongs on about. I was 10 years old in 2000. Learn to read. You guys just legitimately gave me a headache, had to check the calendar to see if we're in 2014 and not in some alternate dimension. Not surprised it came from deluded gooners and a flip floppety cunt.

haha, you quoted fry saying 28 so I had assumed you had meant Hitcher being 10 in 2000 and not yourself.

I apoligise, please love me despite being an Arsenal fan, we do have Juve :D

As you all likely know, I used to be a massive glory hunter :lol Supported Chelsea at first, even got the kit with Dennis Wise's name on it.... I don't know what I was thinking loooool. Tbf I was like 5 or 6 and just had a inkling of football really.

Then before my early teens, I started to follow Man Utd just because they were Wilbur's team and they were the most successful. Ugh, I feel dirty now lol.

Then around 13/14, I started to take notice of Arsenal. This must have been around 2004/05, they had just gone the season undefeated, playing sexy football every week and had class too. I decided then that I would take football seriously and follow a team throughout the next season.

Since then, I have only seen us win 1 cup :((((((((((

I think I put a curse on the team, sorry Arsene :(

bud

hearing this faithless tune made me realise i had a dream about them this morning.

they had released a new album. he got buff, and was shirtless on the album cover.

Sane_Man

What does your age have to do with Hitcher's decision? No wonder people got confused.

TeddyBoy

I hope Rodgers is here for decades.

Just screams 'Liverpool manager' atm, and did from very early on. Bit of a tit at times, but who isn't?

I quite enjoy having Rodgers here, the hole team and his support staff are really top notch (except the transfer team). Not quite sure if I want Rodgers here for decades quite yet, but he's certainly doing well at a relatively young age for a manager.

I think it's quite interesting comparing how we play against West Brom today compared to West Brom last season. In those early Rodgers days, we seemed to control the ball and keep possession high all the time, but without posing a goal threat. Now it's the total opposite, let the opposition have the ball all they want, be a direct goal threat when we have the ball and don't pass for the sake of passing (unless we're winning).

I started supporting Liverpool in primary school, at the time it seemed everyone swapped between Liverpool and Man United for who they supported virtually every other week. I didn't follow the sport much at the time so I just kept saying Liverpool. My dad and brother both support Everton so my choice of football club didn't exactly go down too well. I only properly started following the football in 2008/9, of course after that it started going downhill but I kept watching. Hodgeson was a disaster, Dalglish was amazing and then a disaster. Finally Rodgers has given the club some stability.

Seeing the team sheet today doesn't surprise me, the team works well so don't change it. Shame Lugano isn't playing for West Brom, it would of been quite funny seeing him deal with Sterling's pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom