• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegoArmo

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe 24s

532 - Manchester United have played the most open play crosses in the PL this season, Liverpool the fewest (274). Systems.

Stupid sexy Liverpool.

GeA8qNl.gif

Mastadon

Banned
OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe 14 secs
532 - Manchester United have played the most open play crosses in the PL this season, Liverpool the fewest (274). Systems.

Edit, derp.

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe 14 secs

I'd love to see how many crosses we've put in this season. Would it even be in double figures?

We don't have any good crossers aside from Gerrard and sometimes Johnson, and we don't have anyone who it suits to have crosses constantly put into the box aside from Skrtel when he's in the box :p

Can see our average cross stat going even further down as we carry on with the 4-2-1-2-1 formation with Sterling and Sturridge.

edit: Online voting competitions are so meaningless. Being a member of the biggest forum does not make you a worthy winner :p

Wes

venison crêpe
@DiscoMirror 3m
Fulham defender Dan Burn on Man Utd's approach: "I've not headed that many balls since the Conference!" Not what Moyes wanted to hear #MUFC

@DiscoMirror 3m
Fulham defender Dan Burn on Man Utd's approach: "I've not headed that many balls since the Conference!" Not what Moyes wanted to hear #MUFC

Jesus, got to the stage where he and his team are almost being trolled by the opposition being honest. Salt in the wound

Fergie

Banned
@DiscoMirror 3m
eISucn5.gif

Fulham have also been top defenders of crosses this season. I really don't know what Moyes is doing.

DBT85

You'd have thought after the first 30 with nothing someone might have thought to change it around, or maybe get someone to take a shot from 25 yards out. If only we had some players on the pitch at that time who can strike a ball from that far out.

So happy when Carrick finally had a pop.

Danchi

It just feels like Moyes must have no confidence in this team if he sends them out to do that. That they don't have the ability or creativity to break Fulham down. I've never seen a team with as little patience. It was just relentlessly lobbing balls in the danger area with the hope you'd get a deflection your way or the ball would rebound in off someone's shin.

LegoArmo

You'd have thought after the first 30 with nothing someone might have thought to change it around, or maybe get someone to take a shot from 25 yards out. If only we had some players on the pitch at that time who can strike a ball from that far out.

So happy when Carrick finally had a pop.

Carrick was the only player willing to try anything outside the norm, yesterday. I swear I even saw him dribble past players on occasion, Carrick!

No way we lose 4th to Spurs.

I can't even fathom that.

It would be incredible. Not sure I've ever seen a team play as unconvincingly as they have pretty much all season, and finish fourth. Win the next 2, see where that leaves us, and beat Spurs at home later in the season. Hopefully, that'd be enough to fend them off.

Fulham first though, they'll be on something of a high, with a quality striker trying to impress on his debut, and Holtby offering a boost to their creativity. Go at them from the first whistle, make ourselves believe that we have fourth in our grasp instead of looking over our shoulders so much.

We could do with Man Utd drawing at the Emirates.

Fry

It would be incredible. Not sure I've ever seen a team play as unconvincingly as they have pretty much all season, and finish fourth. Win the next 2, see where that leaves us, and beat Spurs at home later in the season. Hopefully, that'd be enough to fend them off.

Fulham first though, they'll be on something of a high, with a quality striker trying to impress on his debut, and Holtby offering a boost to their creativity. Go at them from the first whistle, make ourselves believe that we have fourth in our grasp instead of looking over our shoulders so much.

Newcastle can beat Spurs at home. We can beat Fulham away. That'd be enough to send them off for a while I think.

Mastadon

Banned

I'd like a Man Utd win. If Arsenal lose then we have a decent chance of overhauling them, what with their torrid fixture list.

Fulham looking be more creative will play right in to our hands. The lads on TAW made the point that Rodgers has struggled with how to set out against teams that don't want the ball. Our threat comes from quick transitions and counter-attacks, and we lose that when teams sit deep against us. Fulham at home with their new players will have the onus to come out and try and play at least.

It'd be incredibly disappointing if we didn't take full advantage of the good job we did on Saturday.

Newcastle can beat Spurs at home. We can beat Fulham away. That'd be enough to send them off for a while I think.

Spurs will batter Newcastle. They look like they're quite comfortable in mid table and don't really give much of a shit anymore.

Newcastle are dead :(

Too many injuries, and they seem to have responded very, very badly to Cabaye's leaving, on the pitch and in terms of the fans' enthusiasm

Normally I'd hope they could get a draw at least, but it has simple 0-2 written all over it

Wes

venison crêpe
New Mark Ogden article on Moyes:

How does Moyes persuade those players that his way is the right way, when he has nothing to show for it beyond cuttings of league tables with Everton positioned just outside the top four?

At Chelsea, there is no such credibility gap with Mourinho and that is a major factor in their success so far this season and the coaches ability to turn a team that was going nowhere into title challengers.

Moyes, for all his efforts, is currently achieving the opposite at Old Trafford, with United performing the biggest and most dramatic collapse since Devon Loch.

Mastadon

Banned

I actually have faith in you beating Arsenal. They seem to have some weird mental block against you.

Although I suppose you could have said the same for us against Arsenal, and look at how that turned out.

Edit - Ouch at that article. Press seem to be turning on Moyes, having been quite kind previously.

Hixx

Got tickets for the final
p0QHO.gif

Would have preferred to be behind the goal but they weren't selling that block when rang up and didn't want to risk having to get the proper shit seats if we left it and rang up later in the week in the hope they were selling blocks down there.

Oh well. Still a decent view of the pitch but won't be able to see O'Shea lift the trophy I think
LLShC.gif

WJD

Carrick was the only player willing to try anything outside the norm, yesterday. I swear I even saw him dribble past players on occasion, Carrick!

He was really good yesterday. Though it was pretty much the perfect game for him to perform in.

It'd be incredibly disappointing if we didn't take full advantage of the good job we did on Saturday.

Its become something of a pattern recently

Good result at Stoke followed up with Villa at home shitshow
Great result to Everton followed up with West Brom shitshow
Fantastic result to Arsenal followed up with ?

Serious questions need to be asked about complacency if we drop points on Wednesday. Those 4 points would have put us right in the mix :(

To be fair I don't think Moyes has done that bad of a job and I'd say that United are currently meeting their expectations for the season. United fans shouldn't be so pessemistic.

Wonder how Football Weekly will work today. The Arsenal and Man Utd matches each should have like half an hour devoted to them, never mind the rest of the weekend's football.

Mastadon

Banned
Its become something of a pattern recently

Good result at Stoke followed up with Villa at home shitshow
Great result to Everton followed up with West Brom shitshow
Fantastic result to Arsenal followed up with ?

Serious questions need to be asked about complacency if we drop points on Wednesday. Those 4 points would have put us right in the mix :(

Yeah absolutely, but you have to accept that results like Villa and WBA will happen. It's just been unfortunate timing. Every club has dropped points in similar games (Norwich v City, Stoke v Chelsea) etc.

Rodgers will have learned from those games though. If we don't get the three points against Fulham, I don't think it'll be down to complacency.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Anyone here know of a cheap place to get the Stick of Truth? £40 on Steam and Greenman D:

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It would be incredible. Not sure I've ever seen a team play as unconvincingly as they have pretty much all season, and finish fourth.

Arsenal have done it for years. I'm not saying we will do it but for all the spunking over Liverpool's excellent season we are only 3 points behind, it's not like either side is nailed on.

Liverpool are scoring freely at home but I believe they've only won 4 away games, Spurs are the opposite. It's going to come down to the game at Anfield.

I'm just so embarrassed.

We are completely embarrassing. Total incompetence on and off the pitch.

Even the one competent thing we've done (sign Mata) has been mired in the embarrassment of Moyes playing him as a conventional right winger in a 442 formation.

Even my most pessimistic predictions regarding how unsuited to this job Moyes is absolutely pale in comparison to the reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom