• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I'm just so embarrassed.

We are completely embarrassing. Total incompetence on and off the pitch.

Even the one competent thing we've done (sign Mata) has been mired in the embarrassment of Moyes playing him as a conventional right winger in a 442 formation.

Even my most pessimistic predictions regarding how unsuited to this job Moyes is absolutely pale in comparison to the reality.

On the bright side Mata has 3 assists in 3 games, which is pretty good considering.

But yes, yesterday was as clear a message as possible that we lack the quality for wing play, im sure he will pick up on this, whether he has the resources to change it before summer, im not sure.

dc89

"When I saw Manchester United today I thought the game-plan was quite straight forward - get it wide, get it in.
If you're well organised and the goalkeeper is in good positions to come and collect the ball it can be easy [to defend against]."

#BasedRene

Clegg

Complaining is useless at this stage. Only way Moyes will get the sack is if we have a total meltdown and finish in the bottom half of the prem. And since the teams below us are even more rancid we have another season of moyesball to look forward to.

Zabojnik

Complaining is useless at this stage. Only way Moyes will get the sack is if we have a total meltdown and finish in the bottom half of the prem. And since the teams below us are even more rancid e have another season of moyesball to look forward to.

On the plus side, things can only go up from here.

I'm just so embarrassed.

We are completely embarrassing. Total incompetence on and off the pitch.

Even the one competent thing we've done (sign Mata) has been mired in the embarrassment of Moyes playing him as a conventional right winger in a 442 formation.

Even my most pessimistic predictions regarding how unsuited to this job Moyes is absolutely pale in comparison to the reality.

I've always felt Moyes was the wrong choice and even I didn't think it would be this bad. The problem is that if he was sacked now who would replace him?

Mastadon

Banned
Liverpool are scoring freely at home but I believe they've only won 4 away games, Spurs are the opposite. It's going to come down to the game at Anfield.

Aye you're right, but our remaining away games are:

Fulham
Southampton
Man Utd
Cardiff
West Ham
Norwich
Palace

Despite our indifferent away form, I'd fancy us to win 4 or 5 of those. By the time you come to Anfield, it's feasible that we could be 9 or 10 points ahead because of how tough your games preceding it are.

Jack cw

I've always felt Moyes was the wrong choice and even I didn't think it would be this bad. The problem is that if he was sacked now who would replace him?

Thats the point. There is simply no manager available at the moment that could really improve the situation in Manchester. Things will get interesting in summer when some good coaches are on the market but the big guns are gone for a while.

On the bright side Mata has 3 assists in 3 games, which is pretty good considering.

But yes, yesterday was as clear a message as possible that we lack the quality for wing play, im sure he will pick up on this, whether he has the resources to change it before summer, im not sure.

Aye, he doesn't look comfortable there but he's already looking decent overall.

Idk though, I feel like he should only be playing behind the striker. Signing him only really makes sense if one of RVP or Roon goes imo. He's not quick enough to play the left or right of a an attacking midfield 3 behind a lone striker, like everyone's been suggesting.

This brings me to a broader point: our team has become fucking bereft of pace and it really shows.

dc89

Complaining is useless at this stage. Only way Moyes will get the sack is if we have a total meltdown and finish in the bottom half of the prem. And since the teams below us are even more rancid we have another season of moyesball to look forward to.

Moyes will have to change his tactics up a bit.

I dunno why United were insistent on crossing the ball when Fulham's centre back is 6'7"
Wayne Rooney (5'9") is hardly going to out jump him.

Slizz

Theres one person who could come in.....

Spending all my nights, all my money, goin' out on the town
Doin' anything just to get you off of my mind
But when the morning comes, I'm right back where I started again
And tryin' to forget you is just a waste of time

Fergie come back, any kind of fool could see
There was something in everything about you
Fergie come back, you can blame it all on Moyeeeezus
I was wrong and I just can't live without you

All day long, wearing a mask of false bravado
Tryin' to keep up a smile that hides the tears
But as the sun goes down, I get that empty feeling again
How I wish to God that you were here

Now that I put it all together
Give me the chance to make you see
Have you used up all the love in your heart?
Nothing left for me, is there nothing left for me?

(Listen, Fergie)
I was wrong and I just can't live

Clegg

Gary Neville doesn't seem to be a big fan of Mata. Keeps going on about how he doesn't suit United's philosophy as he isn't a traditional wide player. Has he not noticed that all our wingers are shite?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Gary Neville doesn't seem to be a big fan of Mata. Keeps going on about how he doesn't suit United's philosophy as he isn't a traditional wide player. Has he not noticed that all our wingers are shite?

Clearly Moyes hasnt noticed, yesterday every ball was given to either Rafa or Young, this was clearly the tactic, it was so transparent and so bad that Fulham let them have the ball so they could fuck it up.

Danchi

I'm curious to know where Moyes will end up after Utd (I know, I know, this is premature). Out of the top nine teams in the league, Tottenham and Southampton are the ones who might be changing managers in the summer. There's no way Tottenham will go for him, but I suppose he could be attractive for Southampton in terms of stabilising a team in the top half and he did bring through young players at Everton (for 3Sixty's welfare, I'll say there's no chance of that one either though). From tenth and below you basically have teams fighting against relegation and that would be quite the step down from the Theatre of Dreams.

In the past, he did speak about his admiration for the Bundesliga and, if I remember right, he has made the odd cameo on Revista de La Liga and spoke about managing abroad on there as well. It might be good for him to do a Steve McLaren and get out of the limelight while rebuilding his career.

Research by a dating company has found that the perfect girlfriend would be a Manchester United fan who has a healthy obsession with the club.

I assume they mean a girl with low expectations.

Aye you're right, but our remaining away games are:

Fulham
Southampton
Man Utd
Cardiff
West Ham
Norwich
Palace

Despite our indifferent away form, I'd fancy us to win 4 or 5 of those. By the time you come to Anfield, it's feasible that we could be 9 or 10 points ahead because of how tough your games preceding it are.

Even though they're lower in the table, I'm more concerned about going to the St Mary's than I am about Old Trafford

Plenty of twists and turns to come, unfortunately :p

Really could have done with just 1 Everton goal yesterday. Still, guess that's what happens when Stephen fucking Naismith starts up front.

The World Cup is gonna be so bad for England. As always since Capello replaced McClaren, we'll go into it thinking 'maybe he'll remove te shackles, and we can let that front 5 play with some flair and invention.'

And as always, we'll spend most of the match camped in our own half, with the same predictable buildup play, long balls, focus on workrate instead of quality, rigid formation and general lack of entertainment.

Hate to say it, but when we get knocked out, it'll probably be to the improvement of the competition ala Euro 2008, which was better for us having never even qualified for it.

He's right though. He's another round peg in a square hole. If you play wide you need pace and ability to beat a man.

Just putting him there because 'fuck it he's talented innit' does not mean he fits in well there. Play him behind the striker or you'll get crap performances from him. He's basically Shinji but talented enough to seem half decent while played out of position.

He's only managed to get decent performances in any of the past 3 games when he's been shifted into the middle. Sounds familiar.

LegoArmo

I'm curious to know where Moyes will end up after Utd (I know, I know, this is premature). Out of the top nine teams in the league, Tottenham and Southampton are the ones who might be changing managers in the summer. There's no way Tottenham will go for him, but I suppose he could be attractive for Southampton in terms of stabilising a team and he did bring through young players at Everton (for 3Sixty's welfare, I'll say there's no chance of that one either though). From tenth and below you basically have teams fighting against relegation and that would be quite the step down from the Theatre of Dreams.

In the past, he did speak about his admiration for the Bundesliga and, if I remember right, he has made the odd cameo on Revista de La Liga and spoke about managing abroad on there as well. It might be good for him to do a Steve McLaren and get out of the limelight while rebuilding his career.

Maybe he'll take a 100k a week pay cut and come and manage Celtic when Lennon fucks off to Norwich. The fall of a mid-table career.

Just putting him there because 'fuck it he's talented innit' does not mean he fits in well there. Play him behind the striker or you'll get crap performances from him. He's basically Shinji but talented enough to seem half decent while played out of position.

Mata has had great performances on the right and left for Chelsea and Valencia, it's the tactics, nothing more.

Clegg

He's right though. He's another round peg in a square hole. If you play wide you need pace and ability to beat a man.

He's only managed to get in any of the past 3 games when he's been shifted into the middle. Sounds familiar.
He is right but the way he talks about United's philosophy is starting to grate. There aren't that many top quality traditional wingers anymore. We need to change the way we play.

Mastadon

Banned
Even though they're lower in the table, I'm more concerned about going to the St Mary's than I am about Old Trafford

Really could have done with just 1 Everton goal yesterday. Still, guess that's what happens when Stephen fucking Naismith starts up front.

You're right to be more worried. Man Utd are abject at home, and the way we play is perfectly suited to dealing with them. Southampton on the other hand are the example of how to fuck our shit up be pressing us all over the pitch. I'd happily take a draw at St Mary's.

Slizz

He is right but the way he talks about United's philosophy is starting to grate. There aren't that many top quality traditional wingers anymore. We need to change the way we play.

Which has to involve re-learning how to defend properly.

LegoArmo

The defenders United have are good enough, they know how to defend, it's not that difficult of a job when you're set up right. If Celtic can turn up to a game against Barcelona and keep them out for 90 minutes, United can stop conceding goals to Fulham.

Arsenal's back line is made up of players people laughed at a year or two ago (and did again this Saturday), protect them properly, set up right, and organise them and they'll keep clean sheets for days.

You know what I hate, that we experienced first-hand under Hodgson?

When everything's going badly, and the players start coming out with endless soundbites about 'putting in 100%, fully commited, things we'll get better, getting to grips with the new tactics, getting to know the manager, the only way is up, luck's bound to change, slow process' and all that shite.

Just get the fuck on with it, show that stuff on the pitch instead of talking about it every bloody week before serving up the exact same putrid shite that led to you having to talk about it in the first place.

Elchele

Thats the point. There is simply no manager available at the moment that could really improve the situation in Manchester. Things will get interesting in summer when some good coaches are on the market but the big guns are gone for a while.

pls. Schaaf and Slomka are available, it doesn't get better than that

Elchele

They need a British trainer that has won jack shit.

Unless they sign Liverpool's coach, no other british coach knows how to play football from this century, as far as I know.

Better thing they could do is sign a coach from other country like Argentina, Spain, Germany, etc.

They need a British trainer that has won jack shit.

Unless you count Swedish titles, they'll be someone else who fits into that catgeory, who'll become available in the middle of July...

edit: Imagine if Rodgers went to Man Utd. It would be difficult to fathom, and impossible to come to terms with.

LegoArmo

United have never had a manager from outside the home nations. Obviously football was different 25-30 years ago before Ferguson though.

sohois

The World Cup is gonna be so bad for England. As always since Capello replaced McClaren, we'll go into it thinking 'maybe he'll remove te shackles, and we can let that front 5 play with some flair and invention.'

And as always, we'll spend most of the match camped in our own half, with the same predictable buildup play, long balls, focus on workrate instead of quality, rigid formation and general lack of entertainment.

Hate to say it, but when we get knocked out, it'll probably be to the improvement of the competition ala Euro 2008, which was better for us having never even qualified for it.

I know most posters here don't really pay attention to statistical predictions of league performance, but I would have thought at the least that the incompetence of Tottenham against Everton would dissuade Liverpool fans from fear. Tim-nice-but-dim appears quite simply to be the among the most inept manages in the league, no better even than Moyes. They are going to get smashed by us, Arsenal and Chelsea and one can easily see them slipping up against several of the lower teams.

I know most posters here don't really pay attention to statistical predictions of league performance, but I would have thought at the least that the incompetence of Tottenham against Everton would dissuade Liverpool fans from fear. Tim-nice-but-dim appears quite simply to be the among the most inept manages in the league, no better even than Moyes. They are going to get smashed by us, Arsenal and Chelsea and one can easily see them slipping up against several of the lower teams.

Adebayor is giving me the willies though :p

Think it might be a case where one midtable team beats them, and everyone else just copies their tactics. Could do with that happening soon though, if it is to happen.

Fucking Puncheon. Cunt.

LegoArmo

Talking of Sweden, Sven was originally set to take over from Ferguson in the early 2000s, I wonder how different history would be...

Blablurn

I'm watching the post game stuff from the CL final 2012 right now and I have to give major respect to Drogba. He went to Robben and Schweini and tried to comfort them. Great personality.

I'm watching the post game stuff from the CL final 2012 right now and I have to give major respect to Drogba. He went to Robben and Schweini and tried to comfort them. Great personality.

He became really likable after the 08/09 season for some reason. Moved onto another level as a player, and nearly cut out the gamesmanship. Similar to Suarez this season, I'd argue, though Suarez has already obliterated any chance he ever had of being likable :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom