• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

He became really likable after the 08/09 season for some reason. Moved onto another level as a player, and nearly cut out the gamesmanship. Similar to Suarez this season, I'd argue, though Suarez has already obliterated any chance he ever had of being likable :p

I cannot speak for old Drogba but any idea what happened after 08/09?

LegoArmo

He became really likable after the 08/09 season for some reason. Moved onto another level as a player, and nearly cut out the gamesmanship. Similar to Suarez this season, I'd argue, though Suarez has already obliterated any chance he ever had of being likable :p

When he hit the post with that volley, put the ball out of play for diving Monreal, then struck that free kick on Saturday. It was hard to hate him.

His reaction when getting subbed off too, despite not having got involved in the goal scoring, was very mature.

Completely different player to under Dalglish... He'll probably kill someone at the World Cup or something now.

I cannot speak for old Drogba but any idea what happened after 08/09?

Dunno, he was the best striker I've ever seen in 09/10 though. Maybe he just thought he should cut it out as it wasn't adding anything to his game, and its probably not nice to have an entire country think that you're a bellend :p

Tc91

Fulham defender Dan Burn has likened defending against Manchester United to playing in the Conference.

Burn, 21, played 10 times in the division for Darlington in 2011 and helped Fulham field 81 crosses in their 2-2 draw at Old Trafford on Sunday.

"I've never headed that many balls since the Conference," said Burn. "We knew that was going to happen and I was happy for them to play like that."

Mr Burns made 22 fucking clearances.

EIGHTY ONE CROSSES.

Moyes Out

Wilbur

Banned
Can't read twitter this morning it's too depressing

How have Liverpool got the most progressive British manager since the guy who introduced boots meal deals and we have David 'more crosses than found in Linda Blair's vagina' Moyes

subtles

And Ryan Giggs. And Paul Scholes. And Nicky Butt.

Lovely. Presumably because they were good players they'll be great at coaching!!

How can this, posted by GHG earlier, not break anyone's heart.

Meulensteen spoke to the Telegraph about his meetings with Moyes before his departure: 'I felt very strongly that the picture painted to us (by the club) was not the one that came out of the meetings with Moyes.

'I said to him: "David, with all due respect, you've done a fantastic job in the Premier League with Everton but do you realise you're going from a yacht to a cruise ship?" Ferguson, the captain, had a good crew with people like me.

'David didn't understand that. he wanted familiar faces. It saddened me leaving.'

Can't read twitter this morning it's too depressing

How have Liverpool got the most progressive British manager since the guy who introduced boots meal deals and we have David 'more crosses than found in Linda Blair's vagina' Moyes

We took a risk that tbh didn't seem to have much supporting it aside from Swansea's style of football, and Rodgers' age. I imagine FSG took a lot of convincing before they made the final step of offering him the contract, especially since they'd spent so much money already buying the club, wiping out our debt, sacking Hodgson, buying Carroll and Downing, and sacking Kenny.

Moyes was obviously a risk as well, but the entire ideology behind getting him seemed to be 'did a great job with a small budget, imagine what he could do with a good budget. Scottish as well.'

Did the board even look at other options? Common thought is that Mourinho was considered but judged to be too short-term, but is there any solid evidence for that? Seemed to me like Moyes was Plan A, B and C from the second Ferguson announced his retirement.

LegoArmo

I've never been into the whole JRPG, Anime and Manga thing. I feel like I'm missing out but I just don't see the appeal in the slightest. The art style, the stories, the characters.

Can I change this, or am I stuck this way? I want to play Persona and see what the fuss is about, but from the outside it just seems weird.

Help me, FootyGAF.

sohois

Drogba has become so very overrated since that CL final, it's really quite strange. When you look at his actual goals scored, it's really not that impressive.

There are 3 seasons at a 'top level', 30 goals or more, with one of those coming in Ligue 1 for Marseille. Other than that he is a 15 goal a season striker, not bad but certainly not a top level striker, Robbie Keane for example was a 15 goal a season striker .

Now, of course there was a lot to his game aside from just goals, but Drogba is oft hailed as one of the best strikers in the PL history, seemingly only off the back of the CL win. His record pales in comparison to the likes of Henry or Shearer.

Fergie

Banned
Mr Burns made 22 fucking clearances.

EIGHTY ONE CROSSES.

Moyes Out
f5jojbgm6zwaejcc090huoqyf.500x257x6.gif

How can this, posted by GHG earlier, not break anyone's heart.

The logic of it is too painfully obvious.

Of course he wants to be surrounded by familiar mediocrity.

Of course he wants coaches that have trained the likes of Leon Osman and who have never had to train world class players.

Of course he wants coaches that know how to play limited football.

Blablurn

His 99 header and jump ability made everyone hate him. Any cross to him resulted in a goal. See the 2012 final :D

One of the best jerseys we had but the strange positioning of the "T" ruined it a bit. Still have the techfit version and makes me feel so sexy when I cheer in that spandex.

When I think Techfit I think of sexy Robben!

I've never been into the whole JRPG, Anime and Manga thing. I feel like I'm missing out but I just don't see the appeal in the slightest. The art style, the stories, the characters.

Can I change this, or am I stuck this way? I want to play Persona and see what the fuss is about, but from the outside it just seems weird.

Help me, FootyGAF.

I'm the same.

But I don't need help :p

Yeah it's a brilliant phrase.

Its just so desperate and pleading, like a man in a rapid clinging on to a moss-covered rock. How can a corporate big-wig expect an audience to accept endless excuses because of a few mitigating circumstances. They want games and things that justify the hundreds spent on the console, understanding why things are the way they are is almost irrelevant.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Tony Pulis has won 7 of his 15 league games this season. 0.47 win ratio.

David Moyes has won 12 of his 25 league games this season. 0.48 win ratio.

17eMs.gif

dc89

@English_AS
Barça President Josep Maria Bartomeu to hold a press conference later this evening, looks ominous...

---

Messi wants to leave.

Its just so desperate and pleading, like a man in a rapid clinging on to a moss-covered rock. How can a corporate big-wig expect an audience to accept endless excuses because of a few mitigating circumstances. They want games and things that justify the hundreds spent on the console, understanding why things are the way they are is almost irrelevant.

So, Wii U = Moyes

Wilbur

Banned
We took a risk that tbh didn't seem to have much supporting it aside from Swansea's style of football, and Rodgers' age. I imagine FSG took a lot of convincing before they made the final step of offering him the contract, especially since they'd spent so much money already buying the club, wiping out our debt, sacking Hodgson, buying Carroll and Downing, and sacking Kenny.

Moyes was obviously a risk as well, but the entire ideology behind getting him seemed to be 'did a great job with a small budget, imagine what he could do with a good budget. Scottish as well.'

Did the board even look at other options? Common thought is that Mourinho was considered but judged to be too short-term, but is there any solid evidence for that? Seemed to me like Moyes was Plan A, B and C from the second Ferguson announced his retirement.

I would assume Fergie and the board would have pined for Guardiola a tad, but considering how early his move to Bayern was confirmed and everything you say about Moyes it wouldn't have been much more than a brief flirtation.

Help me, FootyGAF.

No. Just accept it as I have. All spiky haired baggy trousered cunts.

Drogba has become so very overrated since that CL final, it's really quite strange. When you look at his actual goals scored, it's really not that impressive.

There are 3 seasons at a 'top level', 30 goals or more, with one of those coming in Ligue 1 for Marseille. Other than that he is a 15 goal a season striker, not bad but certainly not a top level striker, Robbie Keane for example was a 15 goal a season striker .

Now, of course there was a lot to his game aside from just goals, but Drogba is oft hailed as one of the best strikers in the PL history, seemingly only off the back of the CL win. His record pales in comparison to the likes of Henry or Shearer.

Genuinely unplayable at times. Strong, fast, a leader, charismatic, a consistent scoring rate, a penchant for doing it in important games, and a gret striker in what I think is the premier league's best side ever. He might be the most impressive all round striker I've seen to be honest, and I thought this before the CL final and I'd assume a lot of people do too.

arkon

eISucn5.gif

Fulham have also been top defenders of crosses this season. I really don't know what Moyes is doing.

Especially for someone who is all about reactivity to an opponent's strengths and weaknesses.

He's right though. He's another round peg in a square hole. If you play wide you need pace and ability to beat a man.

Just putting him there because 'fuck it he's talented innit' does not mean he fits in well there. Play him behind the striker or you'll get crap performances from him. He's basically Shinji but talented enough to seem half decent while played out of position.

He's only managed to get decent performances in any of the past 3 games when he's been shifted into the middle. Sounds familiar.

I don't think he is right. Mata's preferred position is through the middle but he's shown he can be effective from the wings. He's not the quickest but he's got more than enough skill to beat his man comfortably and his crossing is usually quite good.

There needs to be more movement from the rest of the team to get the best out of him, even playing in his favoured central position.

dc89

So, Wii U = Moyes

:loool

Shatner, I have pm'd you. Please read it. Pls.

Splatt

Help me, FootyGAF.

Persona is boring. Don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom