• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

I've never been into the whole JRPG, Anime and Manga thing. I feel like I'm missing out but I just don't see the appeal in the slightest. The art style, the stories, the characters.

Can I change this, or am I stuck this way? I want to play Persona and see what the fuss is about, but from the outside it just seems weird.

Help me, FootyGAF.
Persona 4 is different from the usual RPG fare. More focus on character interaction but still an emphasis on the story. The humour is a bit odd and the battles get a bit repetitive, but the setting is great imo.

Proper good soundtrack too.

Persona 4 is different from the usual RPG fare. More focus on character interaction but still an emphasis on the story. The humour is a bit odd and the battles get a bit repetitive, but the setting is great imo.

Proper good soundtrack too.

I still listen to the first verse of Your Affecttion sometimes, because I like the bassline and the way the vocal repeats and fades every couple of lines :D

If you don't want to play it Lego, the Endurance Run with Jeff Gerstmann and Vinny Caravella is brilliant, as is their Deadly Premonition one

I should buy both of those games to reward the devs, I feel like I've basically pirated them.

Blablurn

just found these pasta recipes on imgur: http://imgur.com/gallery/7OzJc.

going to try one of them later tonight.

ibo1pfQYwdLufy.gif

Splatt

But people put hundreds of hours into it, it must be good right? I get bored after half an hour of FIFA.

It's a well made game that is boring.

If you want to put hundreds of hours into developing social links with virtual people and run around fighting monsters in same-looking dungeons then it's a perfect time sinking piece of entertainment.

Also, the story isn't even that good.

sohois

I would assume Fergie and the board would have pined for Guardiola a tad, but considering how early his move to Bayern was confirmed and everything you say about Moyes it wouldn't have been much more than a brief flirtation.

No. Just accept it as I have. All spiky haired baggy trousered cunts.

Genuinely unplayable at times. Strong, fast, a leader, charismatic, a consistent scoring rate, a penchant for doing it in important games, and a gret striker in what I think is the premier league's best side ever. He might be the most impressive all round striker I've seen to be honest, and I thought this before the CL final and I'd assume a lot of people do too.

Yeah but if given the choice between someone who is 'genuinely unplayable' at times, but shit for several seasons of football, or someone who is consistently scoring goals, I'm sure most managers would take the latter. I mean, you could apply much of the same arguments to Dimitar Berbatov (who incidentally, compares similarly in goalscoring to Drogba), but he is never going to trouble best PL striker lists.

Furthermore, of the top scoring strikers would you really say that they are just poachers, or not complete players? Any one of them could be just as lethal or unplayable as Drogba. The likes of

Henry
Shearer
C Ronaldo
Cole
Van Nistelrooy
Hasselbaink

All have vastly superior goalscoring rates than Drogba. And there are a lot of players who have similar records or better goals per game (unfortunately, it's quite difficult to compare a lot of mid 90s strikers due to their tendencies to stick around well past their best, faffing about for Newcastle and the like). All of Liverpool's great PL strikers, Fowler, Owen and Torres, have far better scoring rates in their primes. As mentioned, the likes of Keane and Berbatov compare well enough. I could probably drag up a few more examples, but it's a pain looking around for these old statistics.

Drogba has become so very overrated since that CL final, it's really quite strange. When you look at his actual goals scored, it's really not that impressive.

There are 3 seasons at a 'top level', 30 goals or more, with one of those coming in Ligue 1 for Marseille. Other than that he is a 15 goal a season striker, not bad but certainly not a top level striker, Robbie Keane for example was a 15 goal a season striker .

Now, of course there was a lot to his game aside from just goals, but Drogba is oft hailed as one of the best strikers in the PL history, seemingly only off the back of the CL win. His record pales in comparison to the likes of Henry or Shearer.

Drogba won the premier league more times then your examples and more cups. He won the golden boot for scoring the most goals in the premier league twice and his strike partner Anelka also won one playing alongside him. OK Henry and Shearer won more golden boots then him but no one else has.
Drogba was the complete player. He was a better defender from set pieces then Terry, Ballack, Alex etc. when he was in the mood he would completely dominate defenders with his strength and aerial ability but he also had great technique.
He was sometimes inconsistent and frustrating in the league but would always raise his game for the big occasions scoring in most finals he played in and completely dominating teams like Arsenal.

Shearer and Henry are obvious top players and Drogba is also in that bracket.

Jack cw

Ribéry will miss the CL match against Arsenal (probably both legs)

Müller/Götze or Shaqiri will replace him just fine or even better. In big games like this his performance is generally not as good and as long as Robben is fit I'm glad, because he decides matches like this rather often.

Clegg

I still listen to the first verse of Your Affecttion sometimes, because I like the bassline and the way the vocal repeats and fades every couple of lines :D

If you don't want to play it Lego, the Endurance Run with Jeff Gerstmann and Vinny Caravella is brilliant, as is their Deadly Premonition one

I should buy both of those games to reward the devs, I feel like I've basically pirated them.
I'm fond of heartbeat, heartbreak.

Loved walking around the school and town listening to that.

Blablurn

Müller/Götze or Shaqiri will replace him just fine or even better. In big games like this his performance is generally not as good and as long as Robben is fit I'm glad, because he decides matches like this rather often.

Thats true actually. We might be more flexible without him.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah but if given the choice between someone who is 'genuinely unplayable' at times, but shit for several seasons of football, or someone who is consistently scoring goals, I'm sure most managers would take the latter. I mean, you could apply much of the same arguments to Dimitar Berbatov (who incidentally, compares similarly in goalscoring to Drogba), but he is never going to trouble best PL striker lists.

Well Didier Drogba has three Premier League winners medals which he contributed too - one of them overwhelmingly so - as well as a season in 2006/07 where he scored 33 goals and the winners in the League and FA Cup finals. He also scored the winner in the 2010 final, one in the 2012 final, and the equaliser in the 2009 final, the 2012 CL final and the winning penalty. He is an absolute big game player, whereas Berbatov certainly isn't. I'd argue 100 goals in 220 odd games for Chelsea certainly isn't a bad record at all considering he isn't a poacher.

Furthermore, of the top scoring strikers would you really say that they are just poachers, or not complete players? Any one of them could be just as lethal or unplayable as Drogba. The likes of

Henry
Shearer
C Ronaldo
Cole
Van Nistelrooy
Hasselbaink

All have vastly superior goalscoring rates than Drogba. And there are a lot of players who have similar records or better goals per game (unfortunately, it's quite difficult to compare a lot of mid 90s strikers due to their tendencies to stick around well past their best, faffing about for Newcastle and the like). All of Liverpool's great PL strikers, Fowler, Owen and Torres, have far better scoring rates in their primes. As mentioned, the likes of Keane and Berbatov compare well enough. I could probably drag up a few more examples, but it's a pain looking around for these old statistics.

I don't think Cole and Hasselbaink were anywhere near the quality of player Drogba was (and I love Cole), and Owen especially was a great goalscorer but not a great player. Stats are a tad misleading at times, as a few people have brought up here before. Zidane doesn't have an incredible goal or success rate, but he was brilliant to watch and he has two goals in a World Cup final and a CL winning wonder goal. Iniesta should score and assist far more but he's still brilliant to watch and has a World Cup winning goal.

Drogba scored countless times on the big occasion, and was a key figurehead in a Chelsea side that was as relentless, impressive and powerful as any I've seen. He added more to the team than just goals; his present and imposing physique was representative of the entire team. He was a free kick taker, a good header of the ball, a handful for defenders a lot of the time (I think you're very wrong for saying he was shit for several seasons; injured, featured less, not brilliant, but certainly not shit)... For me, he was a better player than everyone on that list other than Henry and Ronaldo, and contributed to that team's success as much as anyone.

LegoArmo

Even when it went to 2-1, I was still incredibly pissed off at how United played, to be honest, I almost wanted Fulham to score.

Celebration was embarrassing, you're at home to the bottom team. Fuck off.

Drogba won the premier league more times then your examples and more cups. He won the golden boot for scoring the most goals in the premier league twice and his strike partner Anelka also won one playing alongside him. OK Henry and Shearer won more golden boots then him but no one else has.
Drogba was the complete player. He was a better defender from set pieces then Terry, Ballack, Alex etc. when he was in the mood he would completely dominate defenders with his strength and aerial ability but he also had great technique.
He was sometimes inconsistent and frustrating in the league but would always raise his game for the big occasions scoring in most finals he played in and completely dominating teams like Arsenal.

I think Henry is on his own in the top category from what I've seen.

Even went it went to 2-1, I was still incredibly pissed off at how United played, to be honest, I almost wanted Fulham to score.

Celebration was embarrassing, you're at home to the bottom team. Fuck off.

Yeas same. Likewise I didn't even feel that bad when they equalised. I don't think this club is going anywhere until some more drastic changes are made. Those changes won't happen unless the team starts doing terribly.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Drogba is brilliant, but he was REALLY REALLY inconsistent, wasn't he? Or at least his body/fitness was.

in 09/10 he was out of this world obviously

Wilbur

Banned
Drogba is brilliant, but he was REALLY REALLY inconsistent, wasn't he? Or at least his body/fitness was.

in 09/10 he was out of this world obviously

He had two seasons where he was absolutely incredible, two where he was good to very good, one very injury hit one, and two where he was getting on but still turned up for big games.

I think jtb said he should have won the ballon d'Or for 2012 which was utterly bizarre haha, but he was absolutely fantastic. One of the PL's best ever players for me, no doubt.

sohois

RVP and Hasselbaink both have 2 golden boots same as Drogba. Golden boots seems like silly metric when goals needed to win can vary so wildly across seasons, sometimes less than 20 and others more than 30.

Well Didier Drogba has three Premier League winners medals which he contributed too - one of them overwhelmingly so - as well as a season in 2006/07 where he scored 33 goals and the winners in the League and FA Cup finals. He also scored the winner in the 2010 final, one in the 2012 final, and the equaliser in the 2009 final, the 2012 CL final and the winning penalty. He is an absolute big game player, whereas Berbatov certainly isn't. I'd argue 100 goals in 220 odd games for Chelsea certainly isn't a bad record at all considering he isn't a poacher.

I don't think Cole and Hasselbaink were anywhere near the quality of player Drogba was (and I love Cole), and Owen especially was a great goalscorer but not a great player. Stats are a tad misleading at times, as a few people have brought up here before. Zidane doesn't have an incredible goal or success rate, but he was brilliant to watch and he has two goals in a World Cup final and a CL winning wonder goal. Iniesta should score and assist far more but he's still brilliant to watch and has a World Cup winning goal.

Drogba scored countless times on the big occasion, and was a key figurehead in a Chelsea side that was as relentless, impressive and powerful as any I've seen. He added more to the team than just goals; his present and imposing physique was representative of the entire team. He was a free kick taker, a good header of the ball, a handful for defenders a lot of the time (I think you're very wrong for saying he was shit for several seasons; injured, featured less, not brilliant, but certainly not shit)... For me, he was a better player than everyone on that list other than Henry and Ronaldo, and contributed to that team's success as much as anyone.

Drogba's goalscoring records:
Apps Goals
  • 26 10
  • 29 12
  • 36 20
  • 19 8
  • 24 5
  • 32 29
  • 36 11
  • 24 5

That's 2 seasons of absolute shit, one in which he can claim to have been injured, and 3 of distinctly poor returns, just scraping past 10 goals.

In addition, I thought the 'well, he's one stuff and the others haven't' argument was accepted as being bullshit when Ribery lost the Ballon d'or? Everyone insisted then that the measure of a player where purely his performances, not titles.

8=B
B=2 (second letter of the alphabet)
So 82 crosses translate perfectly to 2-2. The game result was 2-2.

Moyesus is a genius, we aren't worthy of your tactics. MU will become a very solid mid table team under his guidance. Just according to keikaku.

Drogba's goalscoring records:
Apps Goals
  • 26 10
  • 29 12
  • 36 20
  • 19 8
  • 24 5
  • 32 29
  • 36 11
  • 24 5

Are we only counting the league now then? Sure it was considerable worse than his other seasons, but this is the actual real stats :

2007-08
Appearances: 32 Goals 15 (dem two goals against Liverpool in CL)
&
2008-09
Appearances: 42 Goals 14

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
He had two seasons where he was absolutely incredible, two where he was good to very good, one very injury hit one, and two where he was getting on but still turned up for big games.

I think jtb said he should have won the ballon d'Or for 2012 which was utterly bizarre haha, but he was absolutely fantastic. One of the PL's best ever players for me, no doubt.

jtb is in TeamMVP :>

I'm not saying Drogba deserved it, but he did pull a Paolo Rossi 1982.

Are ManU really going to get bent over by a Rooney that isn't even in the top 5 players in the PL? 300K a match? Yow! I guess that's a thanks for the memories, as that's all he's been this season.

sohois

Are we only counting the league now then? Sure it was considerable worse than his other seasons, but this is the actual real stats :

2007-08
Appearances: 32 Goals 15 (dem two goals against Liverpool in CL)
&
2008-09
Appearances: 42 Goals 14

Well, the argument is that he is one of the best strikers in PL history, so I'm just looking at his PL stats.

Arguing against Drogba's qualities is hilarious, although yes, not exactly Ballon d'Or winner. He scored quite a lot of goals and was hugely important on a team where it's notoriously hard to be a forward for. I've always seen people rate him highly, but not overrate him and call him one of the best forwards ever or anything like that, but he's a fucking legend who has always done at the least pretty well.

qindarka

Banned
Anelka won the Golden Boot without scoring a goal between January and May iirc. Sometimes the Golden Boot should have an asterisk next to it :p

He scored about 3 under Hiddink. Still rather poor though he was used on the wing after Drogba was again established as the main striker.

Elchele

I would be scared if this was last season and Ribéry was injured. But now? the team feels the same even if we have 4-5 players injured. Dat Thiago magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom