• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

And I believe Drogba was the better player, which I guess was what this whole debate was about :lol

I don't know, like you mentioned earlier look at Owen. His Liverpool stats are probably bordering on incredible. Do people still value him that highly? Part of that is because he ended up playing for United, partly because he became a nomad, but partly because I don't think he was a great all round player to compensate. Not even deceptively so like Ruud was, but he was more of a (much better) Chicharito.

Drogba was just a better player for me, and is up there with Henry, Shearer and Ronaldo as the best forward 'players' the Premier League has had.

And I guess I'm arguing that only 2 really good goalscoring seasons out of 8 is just not enough for someone to be considered one of the best of all time. It's just too small a sample. Torres had 2 really good seasons. Heck, you could chuck in Suarez or Sturridge or Aguero based on their limited time here.

tjGVkW2.png

Wilbur

Banned
Apparently none, according to the article and GAFs own discerning eye. Just watched the scene again and looks clean enough! Give them all the Emmys already

Gonna watch when I'm home tonight.

And I guess I'm arguing that only 2 really good goalscoring seasons out of 8 is just not enough for someone to be considered one of the best of all time. It's just too small a sample. Torres had 2 really good seasons. Heck, you could chuck in Suarez or Sturridge or Aguero based on their limited time here.

But - and this is not a comparison to Ribery - so much of the criticism for Ronaldo was 'h'd not a big game player', right? Drogba has two excellent seasons, only one where I'd say was poor with no extraneous factors like injuries or starting appearances, was a far bigger presence on the pitch than just goal scoring, and is pretty much key to every single past of Chelsea's recent trophy winning. Goals in four FA cup finals, two of them winning. A winning goal I a league cup final. A winning penalty and an equalising goal in his last ever Chelsea appearance. They help to stick in the mind longer than Torres, who win nothing with Liverpool and has contributed little - apart from that Barca goal and a few in the EL that even Chelsea seem to want to forget considering it was Rafa's era.

Narrative plays a large part in football and maybe I'm guilty of being caught up in that. But the argument against Ribery was that he was not instrumental in winning Bayern everything; merely part of an exceptionally well oiled machine where everyone was perfect. Drogba has iconic moments over and over again in a Chelsea shirt.

And besides, wouldn't you argue Suarez and pre-Chelsea Torres are some of the best strikers the PL has seen?! I certainly would!

Hahaha I searched and saw it was already posted, but Dan Burn saying Uniteds tactics were like Conference football is fucking amazing. That's a guy in the bottom of the league saying them.

dc89

VINTAGE MOURINHO MINDGAMES

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says Manchester City's Yaya Toure should be banned after appearing to kick Norwich's Ricky van Wolfswinkel.
Toure, 30, could face a three-game ban for the incident, which took place during City's 0-0 draw at Carrow Road.
"If he is not suspended the message is clear - you can do what you want," said Mourinho. "If the FA defends football he has to be suspended."
The Football Association is awaiting referee Jon Moss's report.

Coming from a cunt that does this. No.

Edit:

@TeleFootball 1m
FA confirm that Yaya Toure will not face any charges following Manchester City's match at Norwich City on Saturday

Look at my timing :)

sohois

Gonna watch when I'm home tonight.

But - and this is not a comparison to Ribery - so much of the criticism for Ronaldo was 'h'd not a big game player', right? Drogba has two excellent seasons, only one where I'd say was poor with no extraneous factors like injuries or starting appearances, was a far bigger presence on the pitch than just goal scoring, and is pretty much key to every single past of Chelsea's recent trophy winning. Goals in four FA cup finals, two of them winning. A winning goal I a league cup final. A winning penalty and an equalising goal in his last ever Chelsea appearance. They help to stick in the mind longer than Torres, who win nothing with Liverpool and has contributed little - apart from that Barca goal and a few in the EL that even Chelsea seem to want to forget considering it was Rafa's era.

Narrative plays a large part in football and maybe I'm guilty of being caught up in that. But the argument against Ribery was that he was not instrumental in winning Bayern everything; merely part of an exceptionally well oiled machine where everyone was perfect. Drogba has iconic moments over and over again in a Chelsea shirt.

And besides, wouldn't you argue Suarez and pre-Chelsea Torres are some of the best strikers the PL has seen?! I certainly would!

Well, with regards to trophy winning, that's not something that is relevant to his PL career. Indeed you highlight yourself why Drogba may well be overrated, with things like Hindsight Bias, Availability and the peak end effect playing a heavy role in your and others opinions of him. It's why I instinctively looked at goals scored to measure the different strikers, it's hopeless to rely on your own opinions. Heck, I can barely even remember seeing games of the various mid 90s strikers I've mentioned

I would argue that Suarez and Torres are some of the best strikers the PL has seen, as I would for Torres. What i was originally suggesting was that Drogba was overrated. He isn't at the same level as Henry or Shearer, he settles as just one of a number of great strikers rather than the greatest. Maybe it's a bit of a minor thing to quibble over, but well, what the fuck else are you supposed to discuss in a football thread?

Anyways, it's midnight here and I'm gonna have to go to sleep now.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
the PL was irrelevant/shit before the mid 2000s anyway. Kinda like Serie A during Inter's reign of terror.

So Shearer might as well be Borriellol, and Henry the black Krasic.

RvR was cool though

-

okay guys I'm going to watch True Detective E4 with this girl I know

100% we're going to fuck if there's a steamy sex scene

pls

Mourinho's response to Pellegrini's suggestions that Chelsea had spent the most in the transfer window:

"What I would like to say that Pellegrini was talking about the money we've spent," he said.

"I think he's a fantastic coach, and I respect that a lot, and on top of that, outside his football career, he's an engineer by academic formation.

"I don't think an engineer needs a calculator to do [Juan] Mata £37million and [Kevin] De Bruyne £18million, so that's £55million.

"[Nemanja] Matic is £21million and [Mohamed] Salah is £11million. That's £32million. 55 minus 32 is 23. So Chelsea, in this transfer window, generated £23million. It's easy to understand that this is working with financial fair play, fair financial fair play.

"There are no arguments against that. This is what we're doing. Others aren't doing the same. We are building a team for the next decade, if possible. They have a team to win now because they don't have a team for 10 years.

"They have a team for now, for the next three or four. So experience, potential, power, not worried about Financial Fair Play because, in the summer, they just spend... We don't need a calculator for this. It's easy. Plus 23.

"He has a fantastic team, fantastic players, is a good manager. Has lots of experience, so it's not a problem for him. 13 matches are 39 points, and that's an eternity in a league.

"He's been speaking about winning four competitions, so there's no reason to change the speech. But the only thing that is funny that he keeps saying he never responds to Mourinho, he never comments about Mourinho. He said that in Spain, too. So, he's changed."

the PL was irrelevant/shit before the mid 2000s anyway. Kinda like Serie A during Inter's reign of terror.

So Shearer might as well be Borriellol, and Henry the black Krasic.

RvR was cool though

-

okay guys I'm going to watch True Detective E4 with this girl I know

100% we're going to fuck if there's a steamy sex scene

pls

DO IT FOR YURT, TD!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
How did Toure not get banned? City have had some obscene luck this season.

Meier

How did Toure not get banned? City have had some obscene luck this season.

I haven't seen a replay other than the one they showed at the time, so I could be off base here, but at the time it looked like nothing worthy of a red card. It was petulant and maybe yellow worthy, but not a red. Most of it came across as time wasting by RVW to me.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
My thoughts:

1. Holy fuck we miss Scholes

2. Holy fuck we miss Scholes

3. Holy fuck we miss Scholes

4. Holy fuck we miss Scholes

5. Holy fuck we miss Scholes

6. Holy fuck we miss Scholes

7. Holy fuck we miss Ronaldo

8. I love that O'Shea goal

and you need a captain too. Your team is filled with pussies.

Marc

and you need a captain too. Your team is filled with pussies.

Should have got Cattermole.

England might actually play with a DM then, ugh.

Jupp - Pretty good show, on a scale of The Wire to Eldorado, the show is an Orphan Black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom