• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gods that was so fucking shite. When Flanagan (steady) and Skrtel (bit mad) are your best distributors out of defence you know there are problems. Movement up front was lazy. Coutinho at least did some things and found space but Suarez and Sturridge did nothing except for the goal. Kolo and Cisshoko are terrible. They're in the team because there is nobody else. I can maybe forgive them because of that. I can even forgive BR for playing them because he bought Sakho and he got injured at the same time as Agger. But the whole side today just didn't look up for it. Should've buried West Brom in the first half with the space Coutinho had in midfield but there was no one connecting up play anywhere else. Terrible, fucking awful, real chance to move clear blown. Liverpool have got to beat shite teams home and away. And (sorry WBA fans) West Bromwich Albion currently qualify as shite.

All that said, I was impressed with West Brom's tactical fouling. Really spread those cards around the team well. Friend started to listen to the crowd after their goal as well. Shocked one of them didn't go. Sterling was constantly rugby tackled whenever he tried a breakaway.

Frustrated as all hell. I hate games like this, I really do.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Atalanta 3 - 0 Napoli

A1YXKcN.gif
A1YXKcN.gif
A1YXKcN.gif

TeddyBoy

Disappointed with a draw. It was just like the Hull away game, we seem to struggle to motivate ourselves for some matchs.

I think Konoplynka might of won the game for us today. We needed someone else to give the team some spark other than Coutinho who had a bad day.

We need Sakho and Enrique back asap.

GorillaJu

Our shape was awful, and we were far too fluid for our own good. West Brom dominated the first and second balls because our attack and defence were so clearly divided. I can't think of a single spell of pressure in the entire match, so if that was our plan then it was the wrong one. I personally believe our team is just a bit run down and needs a rest.

And I don't think it's a disaster overall, with goal difference (meaning teams aren't going to leapfrog us despite being on the same number of points) we're 8 ahead of United (who don't have a hope in hell of putting together a sequence), 4 ahead of Spurs and 3 ahead of Everton.

And it's not worth saying 'but we play Arsenal next week'. Everyone has to play the same teams, we should just be thankful that the majority of our remaining tough fixtures are at Anfield.

Our shape was poor, I agree, I just don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. Again, no Kolo mistake and it's 3 points away from home against a team that did the double on us last year.

I'd like to see Coutinho given a rest for Allen and play 4-3-3 again. I'm not sure what happened between now and Everton, but Cou, who looked great as a CM 5 days ago looked completely out of sorts today, except for that great pass which turned into a goal.

Elchele

Bayern XI: Neuer - Rafinha, Boateng, Dante, Alaba - Lahm - Shaqiri, Thiago, Götze, Ribéry - Mandzukic

bench: Starke - Robben, Pizarro, Müller, Contento, Hojbjerg, Kroos.

bjaelke

It's baki...
Our shape was poor, I agree, I just don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. Again, no Kolo mistake and it's 3 points away from home against a team that did the double on us last year.

I'd like to see Coutinho given a rest for Allen and play 4-3-3 again. I'm not sure what happened between now and Everton, but Cou, who looked great as a CM 5 days ago looked completely out of sorts today, except for that great pass which turned into a goal.

A midfield of Gerrard, Henderson and Allen then? That doesn't sound very creative to me.

sohois

We probably should have kept Ilori instead of playing Kolo. But then he had lots of mistakes in him the few times he turned out for the reserves, I suppose. What's really baffling is not arranging for Robinson to come back. Wisdom would probably be impossible but I could Blackpool letting Robinson go, he's got to be an improvement on Cissokho (who, admittedly, wasn't bad today0

Walshy

Liverpool-GAF, what do we need to sort out our defensive errors?

Does a fully fit back five of: Mignolet, Skrtel, Sakho, Johnson and Enrique not make as many individual mistakes?

Are you on a mission to make increasingly bafoonish statements?

Not just him, the new Arsenal cull of Shanks, Baki, wedwards and Barzul are continuing to bring shame to their usual lovable gaf group. Sometimes I think they are the same person. I mean they are still funny, but more like in a dumb puppy runs straight into a table way.

GorillaJu

It's baki...

A midfield of Gerrard, Henderson and Allen then? That doesn't sound very creative to me.

Suarez is our main creator, and a midfield of those three will give him more chances to get on the ball. If we concede too much possession, Suarez doesn't have a chance to win us the game.

didamangi

Our attack was pretty much dead when Cout was subsittuted today, though.

Its no excuse since we both had to play on it, but that pitch is utter shite, 2 days into February. Ball seemed to be travelling at half speed, and bouncing twice as high as normal. We could have alleviated the second problem by not hoofing it contantly to legendary target-man Daniel Sturridge.

Meier

That was a pretty major result for both ends of the table. I'm sure Arsenal will end up winning comfortably but I wonder if this will motivate Palace enough to nick a point as well to move back ahead of West Brom.

Fergie

Banned
If we drop points to Fulham at Home, there is no hope ;_;
Aren't Fulham's new signings going to play?

The team seems to attack well and pressure very early, need to bang in goals. As the team loses tempo quick.

Fellaini being back would be great, need that powerhouse midfielder.

Bayern XI: Neuer - Rafinha, Boateng, Dante, Alaba - Lahm - Shaqiri, Thiago, Götze, Ribéry - Mandzukic

bench: Starke - Robben, Pizarro, Müller, Contento, Hojbjerg, Kroos.
Kroos, wait till summer lad. :p

TeddyBoy

Does a fully fit back five of: Mignolet, Skrtel, Sakho, Johnson and Enrique not make individual mistakes?

They won't with a proper with a proper CDM in front of them (or allen).

We're using our second choice defence. Not many teams could survive with an entire back line out.

Does a fully fit back five of: Mignolet, Skrtel, Sakho, Johnson and Enrique not make individual mistakes?

Of course those lads can make mistakes. ANYONE can make mistakes. The key is reducing the chances of those mistakes by reducing the amount of pressure situations with no easy pass down to near zero. Kolo and Skrtel and even Gerrard constantly had no one to pass to during that game. Whether that was because WBA played very deep, or the movement was poor, I'm not sure. But that mistake came from West Brom pressure. I think today apart from Sterling and Coutinho (who had space but couldn't find anyone) the whole team was lethargic and slow.

Edit: Also. I would have been tempted to sub Henderson (who was poor) for Luis Alberto. Every time I've seen Luis Alberto he's always looked great; puts his foot on the ball and creates chances really well.

I'd have Flanagan instead of Johnson on form

Regardless, its not perfect, but that left half of the back 4 is a massive problem, especially without a pacy DM to shift across like Masch used to, and Lucas did before his first bad injury. When Billy Jones is nutmegging your leftback, and finding space on the other side to control the ball and look for his options, that's an issue.

Arnie

Not just him, the new Arsenal cull of Shanks, Baki, wedwards and Barzul are continuing to bring shame to their usual lovable gaf group. Sometimes I think they are the same person. I mean they are still funny, but more like in a dumb puppy runs straight into a table way.

Throw in Lightning and jtb.

There's a cumulative fleck of coherence between them.

We should all feel for Salva.

WJD

So we've only really fallen a point behind this weekend...

Not that it matters when we're consistently dross, mind.

bud

Does a fully fit back five of: Mignolet, Skrtel, Sakho, Johnson and Enrique not make as many individual mistakes?

liverpool need better players in both their defence and midfield.

players like skrtel, johnson etc. are just not good enough.

Baki

You come to Anfield on Saturday.

Are you on a mission to make increasingly bafoonish statements?

I'm really puzzled as to why Liverpool fans think Arsenals current run is anyway relevant for their struggle for a champions league place. Maybe the two days you guys were top of the league went to your head. At any rate, it'll be amusing to see how you guys deal with European football when you are crumbling even when only playing once a week.

K1LLER7

United fixtures coming up:

9 Feb - Premier League16:00 Man United Fulham

12 Feb - Premier League19:45 Arsenal Man United

22 Feb - Premier League17:30 Crystal Palace Man United

25th Feb - Champions League Round of 16
19:45 Olympiacos Man United

1 Mar - Premier League Postponed Man United Man City

8 Mar - Premier League12:45 West Brom Man United

16 Mar - Premier League13:30 Man United Liverpool

19 Mar - Champions League Round of 16 19:45 Man United Olympiacos

22 Mar - Premier League17:30 West Ham Man United

Gambit

He played like shit in the last game and then his little rant, obviously he would get benched haha

Thought so, too. Although to be fair, up to that point in the game Thiago wasn't exactly thrilling either and Shaq was utter shite.

Sammer: "We won't sell Kroos to Manchester United."

Actually, Sammer's words were: "We won't sell him", which means he'll stay for the remainder of his contract anyway.

Money talks. :p

But Bayern is fluent in that language.

I'm convinced Baki and Wedward are the same person. They're just too similar :lol

Something I don't understand

Before this season, Skrtel was bad. His performances weren't good enough, and Rodgers didn't like him

Rodgers doesn't trust Agger, and he's injury prone anyway

So why the fuck did we go for a free transfer at CB, for a player obviously past his Best Before? I don't believe that Rodgers didn't expect that we'd have to use Toure a lot this season.

WJD

United fixtures coming up:

9 Feb - Premier League16:00 Man United Fulham Win... Just.

12 Feb - Premier League19:45 Arsenal Man United Draw

22 Feb - Premier League17:30 Crystal Palace Man United Draw

25th Feb - Champions League Round of 16
19:45 Olympiacos Man United Lose

1 Mar - Premier League Postponed Man United Man City Lose

8 Mar - Premier League12:45 West Brom Man United Win

16 Mar - Premier League13:30 Man United Liverpool Win

19 Mar - Champions League Round of 16 19:45 Man United Olympiacos Win

22 Mar - Premier League17:30 West Ham Man United Win

And that's being very fucking optimistic.

Blablurn

Thought so, too. Although to be fair, up to that point in the game Thiago wasn't exactly thrilling either and Shaq was utter shite.

Actually, Sammer's words were: "We won't sell him", which means he'll stay for the remainder of his contract anyway.

But Bayern is fluent in that language.

By 2015 Manchester won't be relevent anymore anyway.

Walshy

They won't with a proper with a proper CDM in front of them (or allen).

We're using our second choice defence. Not many teams could survive with an entire back line out.
Whilst I agree, I would also argue that we don't have our first choice midfield either.

I think we really missed Lucas today, however I have no idea what Mignolet or Touré were doing during the WBA goal.

Of course those lads can make mistakes. ANYONE can make mistakes. The key is reducing the chances of those mistakes by reducing the amount of pressure situations with no easy pass down to near zero. Kolo and Skrtel and even Gerrard constantly had no one to pass to during that game. Whether that was because WBA played very deep, or the movement was poor, I'm not sure. But that mistake came from West Brom pressure. I think today apart from Sterling and Coutinho (who had space but couldn't find anyone) the whole team was lethargic and slow.
I'd agree with that. However we seem to be prone to indivudal mistakes more than others, if it's not Reina last season it's Mignolet this season. Vice versa with Touré and Carragher.

Is it the fact we are trying to pass it at the back with players who skill sets don't match up?

I'd have Flanagan instead of Johnson on form

Regardless, its not perfect, but that left half of the back 4 is a massive problem, especially without a pacy DM to shift across like Masch used to, and Lucas did before his first bad injury. When Billy Jones is nutmegging your leftback, and finding space on the other side to control the ball and look for his options, that's an issue.
I thought Gerrard played well in that role today protecting the back four, especially in the first half, however, I do think that Henderson didn't protect the back four as much as he did and was pretty ineffective going forward. He was near anonymous today.

Arnie

I'm really puzzled as to why Liverpool fans think Arsenals current run is anyway relevant for their struggle for a champions league place. Maybe the two days you guys were top of the league went to your head. At any rate, it'll be amusing to see how you guys deal with European football when you are crumbling even when only playing once a week.

Because Arsenal have two months of horrendous fixtures, a catastrophic mentality and a paper thin squad which at this current time is being pummelled by injury and incompetence (let's buy a broken human, said Arsene).

Two poor results (especially considering you come to Anfield on Saturday) would mean you're very much looking over your shoulder.

And if we make it into the Champions League we'll strengthen our squad massively during the summer, to answer bafoonish comment #45983.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom