• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feorax

Just to give a bit of perspective, this is still our second highest points tally after 24 games since the PL began, after our 08/09 title challenge season, which was 51 points iirc.

Baki

Throw in Lightning and jtb.

There's a cumulative fleck of coherence between them.

We should all feel for Salva.

Except for Hitcher, Liverpool fans seem the most delusional. Chelsea fans are alright (sans Lambda) and City fans are unusually likeable despite their club being detestable.

K1LLER7

watch united get a draw out of that game.

fucking arsenal. disgraceful.
RVP pen :p

We should/Have to win agsinst Fulham and Palace. I'd be happy to get something out of the Arsenal and City games. You guy must beat Liverpool next week though. Pls.

Marc

Well they created fuck all in front of the defense so he did his job, and didn't give the ball away too much. Feel for Mignolet making that save and then being given no chance by a completely braindead piece of play.

We played as though we wanted to counterattack, but West Brom didn't attack enough for that to happen, and when we did counter, it was fucking slow

Anichebe of all fucking players. Livid. Rodgers has a lot of work to do motivating these fuckers, whenever we get a chance to make a statement on the table, we play like it's a testimonial.

Didn't put them under nearly enough pressure

Disagree, he didn't dominate there at all hence West Brom having the same possession and a lot of their play went through the middle. I agree, West Brom did very little with the ball in spite of this but it starved Liverpool's forwards so they had few touches of the ball. He was very lethargic, lazy, slow to press, terrible in possession and didn't make himself an option. Not his role, don't think he is good enough at CM personally, and for sure not DM. Silly that Liverpool haven't signed a DM in the window considering how injury prone Lucas is, a Cattermole or a Schneiderlin, maybe Ward-Prowse... something is better than nothing.

Played like you have CL football, carling cup run, would club cup or something all going on as well. Pedestrian level effort. Allen should have started the game and gone for more possession overall, West Brom's attack is awful and Rodgers showed too much respect.

Yeah, the attitude just seemed like "bored of this", maybe a team holiday or something is needed. Even Suarez who is like a dog with a bone when playing football barely seemed interested in the game. That they just wanted the 3 points gifted and to get back on the bus. Managers job to get them pumped up for games like these so Rodgers has to shoulder the blame, but he didn't seem that interested either. After they scored I would expect him to go ape shit and demand the players go get a goal. It was West Brom who stayed on the front foot though and only a token effort by Liverpool after. Sterling tried to be fair but can't rely on a kid.

sohois

Something I don't understand

Before this season, Skrtel was bad. His performances weren't good enough, and Rodgers didn't like him

Rodgers doesn't trust Agger, and he's injury prone anyway

So why the fuck did we go for a free transfer at CB, for a player obviously past his Best Before? I don't believe that Rodgers didn't expect that we'd have to use Toure a lot this season.

He's been fine for a 4th choice CB I reckon. He was quite good at the start of the season before Skrtel reclaimed his place.

Suarez was getting visibly pissed off with the lack of team pressing today, as was I. Obviously it takes a lot of energy, but I find it preferable to just letting them have the ball. Possession doesn't win you games, but letting the other team have it stops you from scoring.

Walshy

A CDM. Like Lucas, except this one isn't injured so often.
The majority of Liverpool fans were begging for a defensive midfielder to be signed. Despite the disappointment of losing out to Salah and Konoplyanka, most felt that their were more important positions to strengthen in the window.
liverpool need better players in both their defence and midfield.

players like skrtel, johnson etc. are just not good enough.
Skrtel have been very good this season. Johnson was before he got his first injury. The problem is that we just don't have our first choice defence consistently.

I'd agree with that. However we seem to be prone to indivudal mistakes more than others, if it's not Reina last season it's Mignolet this season. Vice versa with Touré and Carragher.

Is it the fact we are trying to pass it at the back with players who skill sets don't match up?

At the present time? Undoubtedly. As I said, Flanagan and Skrtel are our best distributors right now. In times past Skrtel was often the worst. Toure and Cisshoko are very poor on the ball. As is Mignolet for that matter, he needs to work on his footballing skills desperately.

Walshy said:
I do think that Henderson didn't protect the back four as much as he did and was pretty ineffective going forward. He was near anonymous today.

Agreed. If we had to remove Coutinho I'd have put on Luis Alberto and taken off Henderson for Allen. Game just passed Henderson by really.

operon

Except for Hitcher, Liverpool fans seem the most delusional. Chelsea fans are alright (sans Lambda) and City fans are unusually likeable despite their club being detestable.
Do us all a favour and log off. You and your gang of crap posters killing the good will arsenal used to get round here.

At the present time? Undoubtedly. As I said, Flanagan and Skrtel are our best distributors right now. In times past Skrtel was often the worst. Toure and Cisshoko are very poor on the ball. As is Mignolet for that matter, he needs to work on his footballing skills desperately.

Agreed. If we had to remove Coutinho I'd have put on Luis Alberto and taken off Henderson for Allen. Game just passed Henderson by really.

Whenever me and my brother talk about Toure, he mentions that he always wants to be on the ball and involved in the play, but just isn't very good at it. And this is when Toure was a title-winning centreback.

edit: Baki's right tbf.

Marc

And if we make it into the Champions League we'll strengthen our squad massively during the summer, to answer bafoonish comment #45983.

Do you really believe in your transfers management that much? ;)

Ayre will cock up that summer for sure.

Blablurn

salem ‏@robbery1989 13 Min.

@FCBayern why Alcantara has an advantage over Kroos ???Kroos is our child and does not deserve this kind of treatment!!!

:lol

Feorax

One of Agger or Skrtel is nailed on to go this summer I think, and we'll bring in another CB to partner Sakho.

Also think both Johnson and Kelly will go this summer and we'll bring in a new first choice RB, as well as a backup LB that's a step up from Cissokho.

Coupled with possibly a new DM, I can see a lot of changes being made at the back this summer.

West side represent fam

lol

In west London born and raised
On the street where I spent most of my days
Chilling out, feeling proper, relaxing all cool
And all playing some football outside of the school
When a couple of chavs, they were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighbourhood
I got in one knife fight and my mum got scared
And said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Portugal"

Walshy

Skrtel still has the occasional mistake though. I think Mignolet's distribution must the worst in the league, it's some come down after watching Reina's brilliant passing over the last few seasons.

Definitely.

I would of put Moses/Ibe on myself for Sterling, he didn't get into the second half at all.

One of Agger or Skrtel is nailed on to go this summer I think, and we'll bring in another CB to partner Sakho.

Also think both Johnson and Kelly will go this summer and we'll bring in a new first choice RB, as well as a backup LB that's a step up from Cissokho.

Coupled with possibly a new DM, I can see a lot of changes being made at the back this summer.

Hope it's Agger to go tbh if it has to be one of them. He's worth more, and Skrtel deserves to stay based on his form.

I agree that we'll see a defensive overhaul, and it will make for a very interesting first couple of months. Not that we're much of a unit as things stand anyway.

Suen

Predictions: Arsenal 4-1 Crystal Palace

Giroud x1
Podolski x2
Cazorla x1
Özil assists x2

Let's do this Arse-GAF!

In west London born and raised
On the street where I spent most of my days
Chilling out, feeling proper, relaxing all cool
And all playing some football outside of the school
When a couple of chavs, they were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighbourhood
I got in one knife fight and my mum got scared
And said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Portugal"

Looooooooooooool true story?

Skrtel still has the occasional mistake though. I think Mignolet's distribution must the worst in the league, it's some come down after watching Reina's brilliant passing over the last few seasons.

Definitely.

I would of put Moses/Ibe on myself for Sterling, he didn't get into the second half at all.

There was no real balance after we subbed off Coutinho as well. Sterling was constantly rugby tackled but Suarez and Sturridge both looked knackered on 75 minutes or so. Might've taken off one of them for Moses/Ibe and gone for a balanced 4-3-3 with wide forwards. Instead BR went 3-5-2, but it didn't work well at all because Flanno isn't a wing back and Cisshoko, while very fast and strong, is terrible on the ball.

jesalr

I'd agree with that. However we seem to be prone to indivudal mistakes more than others, if it's not Reina last season it's Mignolet this season. Vice versa with Touré and Carragher.

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe 56m
29 - Liverpool have made more defensive errors leading to a goal/attempt than any other team in the PL this season. Problem.

Intuitively, I feel like Suarez generally plays poorly against West Brom for some reason

They're his anti-Norwich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom