• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I've not seen us get injured this much in such a long time, must be a training issue right? Thank god we bought a billion players though.

Eh, I don't think we're picking up any more injuries than usual. It's the usual suspects like Kaboul and Sandro, plus unfortunate ones like the ankle injuries to Paulinho and Vertonghen. A few muscle strains have popped up after Christmas but that's happened to every team, it always does. We only have two players not in training and that's Lamela and Chiriches.

On the Echo there is a big picture of Rodgers touching his face.

iI5VLUlsegJ4w.gif

Ushojax

Newcastle's squad for tomorrow night:

Krul, Elliot, Santon, Williamson, Yanga-Mbiwa, S. Taylor, Dummett, Haidara, Anita, Marveaux, Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Sammy Ameobi, Gosling, De Jong, Shola Ameobi, Armstrong.

If we can't beat them then Sherwood should be taken outside and shot.

FootballFan

lol received one of those Nigerian scam letters. Apparently I am entitled to $15m+ US because one of my relatives died in a plane crash, he was an engineer who saved all of that and had made no will prior to his death, I am the closest relative. The English is so bad, but it's so good lol.

pappe

lol received one of those Nigerian scam letters. Apparently I am entitled to $15m+ US because one of my relatives died in a plane crash, he was an engineer who saved all of that and had made no will prior to his death, I am the closest relative. The English is so bad, but it's so good lol.

Maybe its true.

Ushojax

Sherwood has had a good start points wise. Why does he get so much shit from everyone?
Is the good start because of easy fixtures?

Sherwood gets stick because he's English, been a manager for 2 months and rocks a gilet on the touchline. In terms of fixtures I wouldn't say they've been easy but they haven't been horrendous either, trips to Southampton and Old Trafford, home against Everton and City, we did well to get 9/12 from those tough fixtures.

I'm confident about tomorrow anyway, we have the best away record in the league and have only conceded 14 goals on the road. When you consider that 6 of those came in one game then that's pretty good. Aside from City and Liverpool
and West Ham
teams have generally found it very difficult to score more than once against us. With Ade in form I think we have enough to win at SJP, which we haven't done for some time.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

i have always loved u ff

visca barce. pls belive me

jesalr

Sherwood has had a good start points wise. Why does he get so much shit from everyone?
Is the good start because of easy fixtures?

Because a lot of people see him as Harry mk. 2. He comes across as tactically naive at times, and makes strange subs (Defoe for Eriksen, when we were clinging on at the weekend was an emotional sub because it was his last WHL game), as well as his persistence with Bentaleb. We're pretty shoddy in the first half of games too (Palace, Everton, United, Southampton, City, Hull all dominated the opening 45 minutes of the game), but we've somehow only dropped points in two of those games.

He's still doing well despite all of this, so I can't really complain, and we've had a few tough fixtures in there too. We've dropped 7 points from the 9 games he's managed, and only City and Chelsea have taken more points than us since he took over. I really don't know how to feel to be honest.

Clegg

If Andy Mitten is to be believed then United are set to get rid of/lose to retirement at least 8 players.

Rio, Vidic, Evra and probably Giggs will go, but that still leaves at least 4 players who United want gone. We may be in a situation where a few fan favourites will be shown the door. We may not even manage to shift out all these players either.

Wilbur

Banned
If Andy Mitten is to be believed then are set to get rid of/lose to retirement at least 8 players.

Rio, Vidic, Evra and probably Giggs will go, but that still leaves at least 4 players who United want gone. We may be in a situation where a few fan favourites will be shown the door. We may not even manage to shift out all these players either.

Buttner, Nani, Anderson (for good) and Chicha.

pappe

If Andy Mitten is to be believed then United are set to get rid of/lose to retirement at least 8 players.

Giggs will be our new manager when Moyes gets sacked in the summer.

We will then resume our dominance and return to the top of the table.
in the championship.
Because a lot of people see him as Harry mk. 2. He comes across as tactically naive at times, and makes strange subs (Defoe for Eriksen, when we were clinging on at the weekend was an emotional sub because it was his last WHL game), as well as his persistence with Bentaleb. We're pretty shoddy in the first half of games too (Palace, Everton, United, Southampton, City, Hull all dominated the opening 45 minutes of the game), but we've somehow only dropped points in two of those games.

He's still doing well despite all of this, so I can't really complain, and we've had a few tough fixtures in there too. We've dropped 7 points from the 9 games he's managed, and only City and Chelsea have taken more points than us since he took over. I really don't know how to feel to be honest.

But if he is getting the results does it really matter how he is getting them?

Clegg

Maybe. I can't see too many suitors paying the price we'll want and the wages he's on though.
I think he'll story, but I'm not so sure how happy he'll be in doing so.

Sadly, I think Buttner will stay. We've sold Fabio and Evra will leave in the summer. If we sell Buttner then we'll have no left backs. Can't take the risk of missing out on a target and being left with nobody to fill that position.

Mastadon

Banned
Replacing Rio, Vidic and Evra in the same window is going to be a proper ballache for Moyes. Unless he decides to go with Smalling/Evans/Jones as his main CB's and buys squad players to back them.

God I hope he does that.

jesalr

But if he is getting the results does it really matter how he is getting them?

That's a bit of where my confusion comes from. If he's getting the points, I don't care. I'm just wary that teams will start to take real advantage of the way we're being set up. That midfield hasn't really commanded a game at all, so you get the feeling that if we keep ceding the middle of the park, we're gonna get found out sooner rather than later.

Ushojax

MailOnline Sport @MailSport
BREAKING: Fulham vs Liverpool is ON as the tube strike has been called off

Excellent. Sleeper agent Holtby will do us another favour.

That's a bit of where my confusion comes from. If he's getting the points, I don't care. I'm just wary that teams will start to take real advantage of the way we're being set up. That midfield hasn't really commanded a game at all, so you get the feeling that if we keep ceding the middle of the park, we're gonna get found out sooner rather than later.

Our midfield never commands a game when Sandro isn't playing, we saw that early in the season when Dembele/Paulinho were the 2 CMs. At the moment our defense is doing an adequate job and Ade is doing the business at the other end, once Sandro and Townsend are ready to start games we will look vastly better.

There is no way RVP, Rooney and DDG are leaving. No way. We don't need the money, we aren't forced to sell anyone unless they offer exorbitant amounts.

I am sure that Allegri would love to bring Rooney to Arsenal in the summer, hopefully the board will throw money at him.

Mastadon

Banned

Yeah absolutely. Sherwood's tactical naivety is overstated in the media I think, but there are times you look at how his team is set out and you think 'what the fuck is he doing?' Michael Cox's article on the Everton game was quite good, and highlighted that Spurs just had no definable shape. If Everton had a striker on the pitch, they would have won quite easily.

The better teams will punish that kind of thing.

kharma45

There is no way RVP, Rooney and DDG are leaving. No way. We don't need the money, we aren't forced to sell anyone unless they offer exorbitant amounts.

Well DDG just signed a new deal (or is going to), Rooney's only destination seems to be Chelsea which we won't sell to and RVP I just know won't go anywhere, he's got the little boy guiding him.

We're going to lose Giggs, Nani, Hernandez, Anderson, Vidic, Evra and Rio.

jesalr

Excellent. Sleeper agent Holtby will do us another favour.

Our midfield never commands a game when Sandro isn't playing, we saw that early in the season when Dembele/Paulinho were the 2 CMs. At the moment our defense is doing an adequate job and Ade is doing the business at the other end, once Sandro and Townsend are ready to start games we will look vastly better.

Earlier in the season we had that whole pass the ball forever tactic that inflated our possession and frustrated opponents. It meant we were creatively devoid, but rarely over exposed in the middle.

Ushojax

Earlier in the season we had that whole pass the ball forever tactic that inflated our possession and frustrated opponents. It meant we were creatively devoid, but rarely over exposed in the middle.

Sure but that's the problem. Without Sandro we look too thin in the middle when we (rightly) try to impose ourselves on teams.

Yeah absolutely. Sherwood's tactical naivety is overstated in the media I think, but there are times you look at how his team is set out and you think 'what the fuck is he doing?' Michael Cox's article on the Everton game was quite good, and highlighted that Spurs just had no definable shape. If Everton had a striker on the pitch, they would have won quite easily.

The better teams will punish that kind of thing.

To be fair to Sherwood, his plan wasn't totally stupid, the players just didn't execute it in the first half, we let Everton play. Second half we got in their faces and they never even came close to scoring. It has been a constant problem the way we start sluggishly at home, we were lucky Palace didn't beat us the other day. We still have too many players who aren't used to the intensity of the PL and the pressure of playing for a big club.

jesalr

Sure but that's the problem. Without Sandro we look too thin in the middle when we (rightly) try to impose ourselves on teams.

Sure. I wish Capoue could start playing the way he did at the start of the season though. I don't know if it's a confidence knock or what, but he was great at winning the ball back and recycling it before he got injured. Bentaleb for me just doesn't stand up to the strength of some other midfields. The sooner Sandro is back, the better, but I just don't like relying on a player who seems to be picking up injuries a bit more often than I remember.

Mastadon

Banned

To be fair to Sherwood, his plan wasn't totally stupid, the players just didn't execute it in the first half, we let Everton play. Second half we got in their faces and they never even came close to scoring. It has been a constant problem the way we start sluggishly at home, we were lucky Palace didn't beat us the other day. We still have too many players who aren't used to the intensity of the PL and the pressure of playing for a big club.

How would you feel about him still being there next season?

Ushojax

How would you feel about him still being there next season?

Depends. If we get 4th and he shows some tactical acumen then I'd be fine with it.

If he doesn't do either of those things then he will be replaced by Van Gaal. He has to earn it, like any interim manager.

i agree, Spurs's players have no idea what's it like to play in a big club.

2155634-oh_you.jpeg

TeddyBoy

MailOnline Sport @MailSport
BREAKING: Fulham vs Liverpool is ON as the tube strike has been called off

I really hope this is true. Sure Fulham will be tired from Sheffield United and Man United, but if West Ham and Arsenal could play with a strike, why couldn't Fulham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom