• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to mention it, but Rachel really got ugly after Batman Begins. I'm sure a guy that looks like Bale and is wealthy will go for new Rachel.

ibi5eUtUC7JIUe.gif

Maggie could get it.

GAF hates her because GAF got no taste.

Dawsons creek Rachel is hotter maybe, but damn her acting. :ded

Joey from Dawsons is cute

But why does she have a mans name?

subtles

Manuel Pellegrini says his row with Jose Mourinho was aimed at shutting up Chelsea manager.

That is a bit naive.

also

Why is everyone saying Moyes "deserves" a chance? I can understand if one pleads a case of him needing time, but deserving it? First thing Rodgers said after our abysmal start was that no one deserved time but had to show improvement on the pitch to earn it.

Wilbur

Banned
You know what name I hate? Names that are two names

I know a boy called Richard Gregory
It kills me

It fuckijg kills me

Help me

wedward

Yup, Ozil's been doing just fine this season. lived up to expectations, and those expectations were pretty high. Didn't have a pre-season either, so, provided he doesn't get injured, he'll be fine. Those two mistakes were fucking horrific against Liverpool, but everyone was shit, so I guess he lucked out there. Wonder if Wenger's going to rotate him in the next few matches; I'd rest him against Liverpool.

Zelalem, Flamini, Wilshere midfield would be interesting to see and should get the job done against Liverpool. then play Arteta-Flamini-Ozil against Bayern.

I don't think Zelalem is ready to play against Liverpool. Henderson would press the hell out of him. Ox and Flamini in the mid with Wilshere as #10 would make more sense.

An Arteta Flamini mid would get annihilated by Bayern. We wouldn't get out of our own half.

I don't have much faith in us getting anything out of those games, but i'd rather see us try and attack them then just get pinned into our own half for 90 mins.

Zabojnik

For the longest time I though that Fabio and Rafael being twins was some sort of elaborate joke. I was quite shocked when I found out they really are twins.

I also thought that Tiote-Cabaye was one player. A black player from one of the French colonies.

What are some of your football related misunderstandings?

K1LLER7

For the longest time I though that Fabio and Rafael being twins was some sort of elaborate joke. I was quite shocked when I found out they really are twins.

I also thought that Tiote-Cabaye was one player. A black player from one of the French colonies.

Moyes was a good manager ;_;

Wilbur

Banned

I was under the impression Shinji Kagawa was a footballer

My birth name was Daniel Emil.

fixed the song.

I got it changed cause I hated it.

1) that song is stunning and the way you say divine genuinely excited me
2) fuck your name

Seriously. Like reding about that american footballer who came out

Michael Sam

Noooooooooo

It's like saying

Sam
Michael

jtb

Banned
I don't think Zelalem is ready to play against Liverpool. Henderson would press the hell out of him. Ox and Flamini in the mid with Wilshere as #10 would make more sense.

An Arteta Flamini mid would get annihilated by Bayern. We wouldn't get out of our own half.

I don't have much faith in us getting anything out of those games, but i'd rather see us try and attack them then just get pinned into our own half for 90 mins.

eh, I say, trial by fire... don't have anything to lose, imo. place him at the top of the midfield 3 with two more physical midfielders behind him, see what he can do. or maybe play the Ox in the middle instead of him. I do want some rotation either way.

hmm, I think the opposite. I think our only chance of winning is to play really compact in midfield, and get a break here or there. it's how we contained Liverpool and Dortmund early in the season. we try to outgun Bayern and it'll be a fucking bloodbath not to mention, this is a Pep side we're talking about—they are as aggressive as anyone at retaining possession. if we can't win the ball back, we won't be able to attack them.

plus, we play shit attacking football anyways.

anyways, it's not like we have any alternatives. Wilshere... and that's about it. Wilshere is poorer going forward and defensively than Arteta and I think it's really clear that Flamini has to start games in Ramsey's absence because otherwise, no one's going to cover. I guess the biggest difference between now and November is we had Ramsey pulling wins out of nowhere and now we've got to rely on an attack that hasn't really clicked so far this season.

Wilbur

Banned
Yup, Ozil's been doing just fine this season. lived up to expectations, and those expectations were pretty high. Didn't have a pre-season either, so, provided he doesn't get injured, he'll be fine. Those two mistakes were fucking horrific against Liverpool, but everyone was shit, so I guess he lucked out there. Wonder if Wenger's going to rotate him in the next few matches; I'd rest him against Liverpool.

Zelalem, Flamini, Wilshere midfield would be interesting to see and should get the job done against Liverpool. then play Arteta-Flamini-Ozil against Bayern.

How can you say they should get the job done when you've just lost 5-1 to them with your best players?

wedward

Wilshere is poorer going forward and defensively than Arteta

Arteta is not better going forward than Jack. Not really a single game where I can think of that being the case. Defensively, sure. I'd take Jack-Flamini over Arteta-Flamini every day. Arteta is good for when we are trying to keep possession. If we are going to try and hit Bayern on the counter you have to have Jack.

How can you say they should get the job done when you've just lost 5-1 to them with your best players?

He has always dismissed Liverpool.

arkon

Wilbur pls, he will come good when Moyes gets fired and we get a manager who has the balls to change things up.

Did you not see his 'cross cross' video! :p

I was genuinely surprised at the quality of some of his crosses. Should have had at least 3 or 4 assists to his name from that video.

I thought Adnan and Januzaj were two different Man Utd reserves, since some in this thread called him Adnan, and some Janet Jazz Jazz

jtb

Banned

best case scenario: wenger trots out the kids, and we win. worst case scenario: the kids lose and we win the title because our fixture list suddenly looks much more manageable. what could go wrong?

okay but seriously.... it was a fluke result. they happen. Liverpool are not as good as that scoreline suggests and Arsenal are not as bad. and, frankly, young players have often really shined in games like these because they're really hungry and the rest of the league hasn't figured out their limitations yet. (think Townsend, Sterling, etc.). Put him next to more experienced, discipline midfielders like Rosicky or Flamini and it'll make for a decent balance and is actually much lower-risk than it seems.

okay maybe Zelalem is wishful thinking. But I'd feel very confident with a Flamini-Wilshere-Rosicky midfield. Players have to be rotated.

Arteta is not better going forward than Jack. Not really a single game where I can think of that being the case. Defensively, sure. I'd take Jack-Flamini over Arteta-Flamini every day. Arteta is good for when we are trying to keep possession. If we are going to try and hit Bayern on the counter you have to have Jack.

I'm off the Jack bandwagon. He's much sloppier in possession than Arteta is. He can offer more going forward, but he rarely does and the tradeoff is you are so much more likely to lose possession in the middle of the pitch (and leave yourself vulnerable to counterattacks... hmm... sounds familiar). if a front 4 of Cazorla-Podolski-Ozil-Giroud can't offer some kind of threat going forward, I don't think Jack is going to change that.

wedward

He isn't. Arsenal fans on twitter are always mentioning that he doesn't perform well for the reserves.

Ehh he recently came back after being out for 2 months injured. No reason to play him. If we want to rest Ozil we can play Rosicky.

I don't get why everyone wants him to play. He is 17.

jtb

Banned
Ehh he recently came back after being out for 2 months injured. No reason to play him. If we want to rest Ozil we can play Rosicky.

It's just the whole romanticization of him being the next great Arsenal midfielder, since Cesc got his debut + first goal at 16, and then so did his midfield heir, Wilshere. I have no doubt he'll get games when he's good enough. Knowing Wenger, probably before then, too.

jtb

Banned
Stop being so fickle.

I'm not being fickle. Wenger has no idea what to do with him ever since he returned from injury. He doesn't have the positional, defensive, or passing discipline to play deeper in midfield and he's not quite the finished product that he's going to displace either Cazorla or Ozil (to say nothing of Ramsey coming back from injury) at the number 10. oh and he's shit on the wing.

Barzul

If we play Arteta-Flamini vs. Bayern, we will get annihilated. Does no one remember the Southampton game? Flamini-Wilshere for me, we will need to cede possession to Bayern and attack on the counter and we need a workhorse (Flamini) that can be everywhere to plug gaps. Wilshere is great at surging forward with possession and will actually be a goal threat vs Arteta. If we don't win the home game, how do we stand a chance of winning the tie?

K1LLER7

I was genuinely surprised at the quality of some of his crosses. Should have had at least 3 or 4 assists to his name from that video.
Yep. Anderson, Smalling and Hernandez bottled the tap-ins.

No I just looked at the title and laughed

Shinji's off in the summer, surely
Yeah, Moyes just doesn't seem to like him. Surprising, seen as he's done well for us in Europe.

Surely Moyes will have looked at our last couple of games and realised the current plan of crossing it endlessly will get us nowhere against most teams. Fuck, someone showed him the stats and even Mulesteen stated it. Moyes pls.

I would genuinely be ecstatic if you sold us Shinji and Brendan touched him.
His father would be disappointed.

Ozil is doing fine? That is is good if he is a 15 million quid signing, but he isn't. This isn't like Pires who was poor his first season before going on to god like levels. He was a a quality player but not world class. Ozil comes with a high price tag and a reputation as the best number 10 in the world. He has to be amazing from the start. He is clearly performing well this season because the key passes and assists are high and he does dominate against poor teams. But as that article says he doesn't perform against quality opposition. That is just not good enough IMO. We signed him to give us that extra edge and so far in the big games he has come up short. MadridGAF had said that he doean't show up for the important games and I didn't want to believe them. He was arguably the most talented player on the pitch on Saturday, but he was made to look like a non league bum.

He needs to get step ip in the big games, because that is what we really need him for. To give us the cutting edge. He really needs to work on those issues.

They want him to play because they don't watch his performances for the reserves and he is hyped up. It happens all the time with youth players.

If we play Arteta-Flamini vs. Bayern, we will get annihilated. Does no one remember the Southampton game? Flamini-Wilshere for me, we will need to cede possession to Bayern and attack on the counter and we need a workhorse (Flamini) that can be everywhere to plug gaps. Wilshere is great at surging forward with possession and will actually be a goal threat vs Arteta. If we don't win the home game, how do we stand a chance of winning the tie?

Yes to that. I don't like Wilshere there, but it is the only way to get him into the team.

jtb

Banned
Ozil is doing fine? That is is good if he is a 15 million quid signing, but he isn't. This isn't like Pires who was poor his first season before going on to god like levels. He was a a quality player but not world class. Ozil comes with a high price tag and a reputation as the best number 10 in the world. He has to be amazing from the start. He is clearly performing well this season because the key passes and assists are high and he does dominate against poor teams. But as that article says he doesn't perform against quality opposition. That is just not good enough IMO. We signed him to give us that extra edge and so far in the big games he has come up short. MadridGAF had said that he doean't show up for the important games and I didn't want to believe them. He was arguably the most talented player on the pitch on Saturday, but he was made to look like a non league bum.

He needs to get step ip in the big games, because that is what we really need him for. To give us the cutting edge. He really needs to work on those issues.

it's not like we've got Ozil on loan for just one season and in May we have to give him back to Madrid. this is his first season playing with these teammates—of course there's going to be a bedding in period. some players settle in immediately then fizzle out when the league knows their tricks and their limitations are on display every week, others take a while to bed in. it's way too early to make any kind of judgement on whether he's lived up to his price tag.

as for the big team stuff. top teams, relegation fodder—they're all worth three points. we didn't beat the lower teams consistently last few seasons, that's why we've never been in the running for the title. we do now, that's why we're in contention for the title.

he also played excellent against Napoli, created the only goal against Dortmund. when we win against a team like Liverpool, and the best player is... say, Ramsey... why should I hold that against Ozil? the logic here doesn't make sense. the one game that he has undeniably cost us was the Liverpool game, and even then every other player on the pitch was abysmal. his job since arriving is to create chances, not singlehandedly win games, because players that singlehandedly win games don't exist. Ozil's doing fine.

it's not like we've got Ozil on loan for just one season and in May we have to give him back to Madrid. this is his first season playing with these teammates—of course there's going to be a bedding in period. some players settle in immediately then fizzle out when the league knows their tricks and their limitations are on display every week, others take a while to bed in. it's way too early to make any kind of judgement on whether he's lived up to his price tag.

as for the big team stuff. top teams, relegation fodder—they're all worth three points. we didn't beat the lower teams consistently last few seasons, that's why we've never been in the running for the title. we do now, that's why we're in contention for the title.

he also played excellent against Napoli, created the only goal against Dortmund. when we win against a team like Liverpool, and the best player is... say, Ramsey... why should I hold that against Ozil? the logic here doesn't make sense. the one game that he has undeniably cost us was the Liverpool game, and even then every other player on the pitch was abysmal. his job since arriving is to create chances, not singlehandedly win games, because players that singlehandedly win games don't exist. Ozil's doing fine.

I said the other day that Ozil looks like he is playing at 70% compared to Real Madrid levels. He has good for us this season and players like him don't need long to settle in as he has shown . His understanding will be much better next season, but this season he has shown he can help us beat up on the relegation fodder. However, in most of the games against the big teams he has been poor. Not played well at all. That is not good enough. I am not saying we should be winning, but I at least want a 42 million quid man to put in a performance I can be proud of.

wedward

I said the other day that Ozil looks like he is playing at 70% compared to Real Madrid levels. He has good for us this season and players like him don't need long to settle in as he has shown . His understanding will be much better next season, but this season he has shown he can help us beat up on the relegation fodder. However, in most of the games against the big teams he has been poor. Not played well at all. That is not good enough. I am not saying we should be winning, but I at least want a 42 million quid man to put in a performance I can be proud of.

He is creating chances. If Giroud and Walcott had finished half the chances he created people would be saying what a fantastic first season he has had. Get a good striker in front of him and he will shine.

And honestly, what does the money matter. Did you watch him at Madrid. We knew what we were getting. He isn't going to win games on his own.

jtb

Banned
I think the biggest issue with Ozil, right now, is that he's playing a very different style at Arsenal compared to at Madrid. at Madrid, his game was based around playing through balls that would split defenses that Ronaldo or Di Maria could run onto. obviously, Giroud is not going to be mistaken for Ronaldo anytime soon.

it's telling that when Ozil and Walcott played together, they created chance after chance after chance. Theo couldn't convert, but the pace to run onto those balls is going to utilize another huge dimension to Ozil's game that he hasn't been to use very much. and that's going to be up to Wenger to inject some pace into this team somehow—I guess it has to be with Podolski.

wedward

I think the biggest issue with Ozil, right now, is that he's playing a very different style at Arsenal compared to at Madrid. at Madrid, his game was based around playing through balls that would split defenses that Ronaldo or Di Maria could run onto. obviously, Giroud is not going to be mistaken for Ronaldo anytime soon.

it's telling that the when Ozil and Walcott played together, they created chance after chance after chance. Theo couldn't convert, but the pace to run onto those balls is going to utilize another huge dimension to Ozil's game that he hasn't been to use very much. and that's going to be up to Wenger to inject some pace into this team somehow—I guess it has to be with Podolski.

Yup. Arsenal play much slower now and most of our goals come from intricate play around the box. With a player like Giroud that's always going to be tough. If we had a striker with some pace or a winger who could finish(Theo) I think you would see Ozil creating even more chances.

Lightning

Banned
Özil performed against Liverpool at the Emirates, performed against Everton, played okay against City despite some misplaced passes and lead the fight back against Southampton in a game we could have won but deserved nothing.

The only big games he hasn't performed is United, was sick, Chelsea parked the bus and now the Liverpool game where everyone was shit. He has done his part in the other games.

His father is quite happy.

963347d8931b11e39d0b1262e10b68c1_8.jpg

I think that's wrong. Januzaj has moved ahead of Kagawa I think. Top 4 are RVP, Rooney, Januzaj, Kagawa. That's the thing people don't understand about the Kagawa situation. It's not as easy as he should leave for footballing reasons. He will probably make a lot less money at another club and his image in Japan will have taken a hit because he is no longer at a big club.

ibr72EuQaZsBM1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom