• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack cw

I don't know what Dortmund and its winter shirts got to do with this Bayern away shirt looking terrible. It's bad, really awful. And you won't wear the away shirt against us, anyway.

Just kidding. But we will wear that even more hideous red/blue kit next season against you, probably in another all german Cl final later this year...

bjaelke

cGTt1Jx.png

Clegg

Cavani would be nice.

Still need to make at least 5 signings in midfield and defence before we even think about strikers.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think Arsenal will probably win tonight.

Of course they will, Moyes has not beaten a top side away from home and never will.

If by some miracle Arsenal don't win then it will be embarrassing for them, every decent team has taken at least 3 points off Moychester this season.

Fry

Of course they will, Moyes has not beaten a top side away from home and never will.

If by some miracle Arsenal don't win then it will be embarrassing for them, every decent team has taken at least 3 points off Moychester this season.

I don't think their confidence will be shot at all after the FiveOne. And like you said, Moyes can't beat a top team.

Arsenal will win, City will win, hopefully Liverpool and Newcastle (pls usho)

edit: city play sunderland. hmm..... i can see a draw!

Ushojax

We haven't won at Newcastle for 10 years, even with their injuries and awful form it would be typical if we screw this up.

In Ade we trust.

Ushojax

People actually are serious when they mean this? Oh god I really need to work on my managers thesis.

With Everton, Moyes didn't win any of his 12 trips to Chelsea, 12 trips to Arsenal, 11 to United and 11 to Liverpool. He's lost all 3 of those fixtures this season and the fourth is tonight, at Arsenal.

confuziz

Banned
With Everton, Moyes didn't win any of his 12 trips to Chelsea, 12 trips to Arsenal, 11 to United and 11 to Liverpool. He's lost all 3 of those fixtures this season and the fourth is tonight, at Arsenal.

Because he had Everton material. Everton is not supposed to win against those teams. Basic logic.

Do you really think Moyes wouldn't win at the Emirates with Barca, Bayern, PSG or Real material?

I think the whole manager not mattering thing was shattered by Moyes.

No. last year the competition was extremely out of form (Lollerpool, Arselol, City and Chelsea). This year they are much better, while United have stayed the same. On top of that, you have an aging squad, RvP out of form and a lot of injuries/bad luck. This has little (or nothing) to do with Moyes, or managers in general.

Ushojax

Because he had Everton material. Everton is not supposed to win against those teams. Basic logic.

Do you really think Moyes wouldn't win at the Emirates with Barca, Bayern, PSG or Real material?

In 10 years more or less every half-decent team have taken 3 points from at least one of those grounds, most big teams multiple times. Just from this season you've got Villa winning at Arsenal, Southampton winning at Liverpool, West Brom at Old Trafford. Not that long ago even Sunderland won at Stamford Bridge, Newcastle did it too.

Moyes has never won a trophy and never even won a big away game, he has no credentials.

confuziz

Banned
I think the perfect example to proof my point, is by looking at Barcelona. In the last couple of years, they have changed their manager a few times (Pep, Martino, Vilanova) while their tactic and play haven't changed. You can place a monkey on the bench there, and with a little bit of luck and no Messi/Neymar injuries, you would still have a good chance to grab the title.

The players know what to do, they are not imbeciles.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Behrami on Twitter:"First the watch and now the car [expletives]"

LOL someone stole his car
KuGsj.gif

-

Bacon's Pirlo shirt <3

I think the perfect example to proof my point, is by looking at Barcelona. In the last couple of years, they have changed their manager a few times (Pep, Martino, Vilanova) while their tactic and play haven't changed. You can place a monkey on the bench there, and with a little bit of luck and no Messi/Neymar injuries, you would still have a good chance to grab the title.

It's not a perfect example. Barca are a completely atypical outlier as football teams go.

They have a football style and philosophy that is inculcated at every level of the club, transfers are done at DoF level. Tata is a head coach, not a manager and his portfolio of competencies are quite different from an ordinary manager.

Even then, he hasn't got them performing at the same level and completely the same style as his predecessors.

What about Pep at Bayern? Completely changed the way they played.

Do you think that if Pep came to United, United would be doing the same as under Moyes? Do you think United's players would perform better in Pep's system than Moyes' system or would it just be the same performance?

Fry

Right now I wouldn't change Brendan with any other manager in the world. Because I do think they make a big fucking difference. And I do believe Brendan is the perfect fit for Liverpool.

subtles

This is a common misconception. When Vilanova took over there was an immediate change in the way Barcelona played. They pressed far less than under Guardiola and were also noticeably more direct.

If you argued managers had a minimal impact during games you may have a point, but to argue they don't matter is silly. Managers matter most before a game. The way coaching sessions are handled, the subtle difference between asking your player to press high or sit deep. Making sure the players when on the pitch keep their shape.

Look at the way Bayern's shape is now compared to last year. I'd actually keep going if I thought you were being serious here.

Wilbur

Banned
Seems like a waste of money.

I didn't watch Cardiff play yesterday. Was Zaha shit again?

Wasn't too bad. Came off after an hour, but he was generally one of Cardiff's most threatening players along with Campbell. Scored a goal that was offside, but was a nice turn and finish.

Hixx

6 games tonight :eek:

Arsenal 2-2 Man United
Everton 1-0 Palace
City 3-0 Sunderland
Newcastle 1-1 Spurs
Stoke 2-0 Swansea
Fulham 1-3 Liverpool

Though with Brown out... more likely to be 5 or more for City.

bjaelke

Liverpool are also a decent example.

Wouldn't be half as good if they had let's say Ian Dowie as manager.

Players also help in that example. Just imagine this team trying to apply Rodgers' "Death by football" philosophy. They'd literally kill off the opponent
and still lose

SFJn8lg.jpg

TeddyBoy

Right now I wouldn't change Brendan with any other manager in the world. Because I do think they make a big fucking difference. And I do believe Brendan is the perfect fit for Liverpool.

fry please. I love Brendan, but he's just one guy who hasn't achieved anything special
(yet)
. I certainly wouldn't mind having Guardiola instead of Rodgers, Rodgers has the potential to become a great manager if he keeps improving Liverpool the way he has, but right now there are better manager out there.

Players also help in that example. Just imagine this team trying to apply Rodgers' "Death by football" philosophy. They'd literally kill off the opponent
and still lose

SFJn8lg.jpg

We really did have some trash players these last few years, we've really cleaned house. Only Kelly is still at Liverpool from that picture and he'll probably be sold come the Summer (due to injuries not skill though). I just did some checking, out of that starting eleven, they sold for a combined fee of £17.5m. Babel being £8m, Poulsen £4.5m and Shelvey £5m. Reina has yet to be sold and Kelly is still here, but all the other players left on free transfers.

danwarb

Moyesy got rid of United's top class coaching staff. Did that happen at Barca?

Fuuuuu.... Götze (55) and Lewandowski (50) now each worth more than 50 million Euro...
Fuck Bayern

Edit: New Bundesliga player ratings

That stuff is so random.

Piszczek - comes back earlier than expected from a long injury, starts to get back in the team: loses 1m
Blaszczykowski - out for the rest of the season: loses 3m
Subotic - out for the rest of the season: gains 2m

and now the best:
Gündogan - played like one fucking match since August, in danger of ending his career: gains 7 (!) fucking million. :lol :lol :lol

Wilbur

Banned
Confuziz, I don't mean this rudely

I don't understand how or why you're a teacher

Surely giving your students textbooks and leaving them to their own devices would serve the same purpose?

subtles

I wonder if it's a bit premature to ask, but is Hazard undergoing a similar evolution to the one Ronaldo did under Mourinho? He seems to be getting better and better every week.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

some teams can manage without a (or with any) manager, because they're filled with WC players and they follow a certain footballing philosophy. Case in point Barcelona, City and Madrid. A change of manager will make a difference, certainly, but not as big as you would imagine.

but you're clearly wrong when it comes to teams like Juve, United, BVB etc.

we jumped from 7th to Undefeated.

7th

to

Undefeated

we lost more games under Delneri in one season than with Conte in THREE.

Wilbur

Banned
I wonder if it's a bit premature to ask, but is Hazard undergoing a similar evolution to the one Ronaldo did under Mourinho? He seems to be getting better and better every week.

I think he is probably in the pupal stages of that, yeah. Definitely not a stretch to say he's going in that direction.

Most Key Passes in the PL this season: Hazard (65), Silva (63), Sissoko (59), Suárez (58), Özil (56)

I can't remember seeing Sissoko do anything this year :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom