• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1LLER7

8-10 out, 6-8 in.

Tallies with Andy Mitten's speculation.
Shinji :(

Predict: Evra, Buttner, Nani, Vidic, Giggs, Rio, Anderson, Young(?), Shinji (?), Bebe, Hernandez.

Think we may get 5-6 in, but majority must be top quality players. Will be difficult in a World Cup year, without CL football.

Mastadon

Banned
8-10 out, 6-8 in.

Tallies with Andy Mitten's speculation.

Can't wait to see how you manage to fuck that up. Considering this was supposed to be your transition season, I'm not sure how you can expect an entirely new team to be any better, or produce better results.

subtles

What is going on with that ginger's hair?! No way that isn't colored. You can't look that old and not have your hair start to change.

P.s. I thought that was a woman initially.

The mail say it's worth £200k a week. :O

Apparently that's 53 year old Mick Hucknall. He seems to be bullied on the color of his hair quite often. I have no idea what his secret is lol.

Kinan

Rebrov and Sheva, Dynamo we're so good in the 90s. And just look at them now...why haven't you guys sacked Blokhin yet?

We had Lobanovsky back then.... Genius that can not be matched...
Oleg is a last try to preserve our own style, if he fails we'll just go for some super successful foreigner, like Lippi or Hitzfeld.

By the look of it, Dynamo will now lose to Valencia and Shakhtar and Blokhin will need to pack his things sooner than later.

3Sixty

jbsw4AXjGuANzT.png

What a man.

Paulo Bento pls

Clegg

Can't wait to see how you manage to fuck that up. Considering this was supposed to be your transition season, I'm not sure how you can expect an entirely new team to be any better, or produce better results.

Signing better players than who we currently have would be a good start.

The way things are going I doubt we'll be challenging for the title next season either. Too much change in such a short time.

subtles

I found this recently and wanted to post it here for those of you who might enjoy it as much as I did. This interview happened before Gotze's transfer to Bayern.

Mario Götze and Marco Reus on their blind understanding on the pitch, their friendship and the vanity of football players.

GQ: Mr. Reus, Mr. Götze the whole world is convinced that you’ve been friends for ages because you both played for BVB in your teenage years. But because you, Mr. Reus, are three years older that Mario Götze you’ve never played in the same youth team. So when did you actually meet?
Reus: That was 2009, I think.
Götze: Yes, it was on the national team and not in Dortmund. We’ve only crossed each others paths in Dortmund, that’s it.
GQ: Football reporters like to talk about the ‘blind understanding on the pitch‘, which seems to exist between you even though you [Marco] started to play for Dortmund this season. But what really is this ‘blind understanding‘?
Reus: When you’re on the pitch you soon realize if your teammates are intelligent and act like it. If they detect situations shortly before they happen. With him and me it’s often that he knows when I will use which space on the pitch. It just happens.
GQ: But isn’t it necessary to know your teammate for a long time and to study his sequence of movements to do that?
Götze: It’s helpful but it’s not really necessary. As a football player you instinctively put yourself in the other players place and ask yourself: What would I do in his place? Marco often chooses ways I would have chosen, too. That’s what I’d call ‘blind understanding‘: You think the same.
GQ: Is it helpful on the pitch if you’re friends outside of the club? Or is there blind understanding with teammates who you think are total idiots in their private life?
MR: I guess that works as well, theoretically.
Götze: Probably yes. But it’s surely an advantage if you get on well with someone.
GQ: Are real friendships in professional football even possible? As a player you’re your own small business undertaking that has to make the best of 10, 15 years career in sports.
Reus: But that’s not how you think of it. In every team there are people you like and people you like less. Just like there are some with whom you get on great on the pitch but wouldn’t spend time with outside of work. It’s probably like in any other firm.
GQ: And you never think about if you should really invest in a friendship - even though it’s possible that because of transfers you’ll soon not be playing for the same club?
Reus: You don’t think about that either. If there is a real friendship then you call each other on the phone or you text each other. That’s what you would do with normal friends, too, who don’t have anything to do with football but have to move for their jobs.
Götze: The best example for that is André Schürrle. He plays for [Bayer] Leverkusen has a different rhythm with his club but we’re still close friends. Even if we only see each other in the national team we know about each other; what the other one is doing at that moment. Of course, every professional player will go his own path and no one knows where it will lead us. If a player transfers to an international club it’s even more difficult to keep in touch with him. Nuri Sahin is a good example: He helped me a lot when I made it to the first team. And suddenly he went to Real Madrid and was just gone.
Reus: But it’s not like you’re mad about it. Nuri is back in Dortmund anyway and if you watch the two of them, Mario and him you get the feeling: Your relationship is just like it was before.
GQ: Are friendships between professional football players rather different from ‚normal‘ friendships?
Götze: Sure, you celebrate victories together and get worked up about defeats together. Of course, you join in common cause.
GQ: On the contrary, is it much of a problem to tell a friend who doesn’t know how it feels stand in front of 80.000 people on the pitch what your life looks like; what is on your mind?
Götze: It’s not that extreme. There are friends who have been there when we played in a lot smaller arenas. Nevertheless, the friendship with Marco is something different: We’re in the same situation; there are a lot of identical things in our lives. It makes a lot of things easier while communicating with each other, not just when it comes to football. When you need advice for example.
GQ: Have there been situations where Marco helped you with an important decision, Mario?
Götze: Nooo, never!
Reus: Now, now!
GQ: Have you Mr. Reus?
Reus: I’m not sure. I honestly don’t know.
GQ: After all you’re three years older, Mr. Reus, you should be the more experienced one.
Götze: But he acts like he’s twelve.
Reus: True, sometimes I’m still like a twelve-year-old. But seriously: We talk about stuff but in the end everyone makes his own decision. Sure, you ask your friend: ‚How would you do it, what do you think about it?‘ That’s totally normal.
GQ: Has there been a situation when you realized: This fits, he thinks just like me.
Reus: Juuuuustin.
Götze: Juuuuustin!
GQ: Justin?
Götze: Marco is a mad Justin-Bieber-Fan. I’m nothing compared to him.
Reus: What?! That is rubbish.
Götze: You even sing the songs and know the lyrics. I don’t!
GQ: Do you know Justin Biebers lyrics by heart, Mr. Reus?
Reus: Sure. I always sing everything. If it’s the car or at home. Music is playing everywhere. In the locker room as well. And very important: Not only Justin Bieber!
GQ: There’s Justin Bieber music playing in the locker room on saturdays?
Götze: Yes, sometimes just for fun. Pretty much all of us are still very young that’s why the music is probably a little different than in other teams.
GQ: And what connects you other than Justin Bieber and football?
Reus: When we first met in the national team it just fit. The fact that we like the same music helps but is not crucial.
Götze: We spend a lot of time mainly because of our job. That’s why it’s natural that this becomes intense very quickly if you get on well. And then when you get home there are the others: family, girlfriend, other friends who don’t have anything to do with the job.
GQ: How many friends do you have outside of the world of football?
Götze: Two or three really good ones. I grew up with them and they’re really close to me. With Marco and me it’s because of the experiences we both make together that our relationship developed so fast. It’s easier to tell each other what’s on your mind. Not just about work but also about private matters. There aren’t many people with whom I can speak honestly with.
GQ: Is there still some competition between you? As a top football player you must be naturally ambitious?
Götze: In what would we compete with each other?
GQ: Both of you for example are often compared to Lionel Messi in the media, sometimes it’s the one sometimes it’s the other. Do you argue about who’s called Messi more often? Or are comparisons like that absurd?
Reus: Lionel Messi is the world’s best football player. That guy is a machine, it’s brutal. Of course, he plays in an outstanding team and some of his goals seem so easy. But they are not. Barcelona has a special philosophy and therefore the comparison is nonsense.
GQ: In the Champions League you have successfully competed against strong teams. Pretty good feeling?
Götze: Sure, that’s where you want to go you’re whole life- to belong to the best. Whoever doesn’t strive for that is in the wrong place.
GQ: Is there a moment when you realized: This is what I always dreamt of; now it’s time, I have arrived - I can keep up with the big guys and even beat them?
Götze: This situation is really like that. It just happens. But you don’t think about what you’ve dreamt anymore. You look forward. You grow with the demands. When I was 15 I wanted nothing more than to play in the stadium. Now that I do it every week it has become normal. But you must always remind yourself what you have. And you should appreciate it.
Reus: Absolutely.
Götze: As a player you rather think about which successes you could strive towards. You’re thinking: It’s not enough, I want to take the next step.
GQ: Have you, Mr. Götze, thought about the negative sides of football during your rather long phase of injury last year?
Götze: Yes. My career was just like I had imagined it since the youth national team. The injury last year was the first that threw me back a bit. It was really bad. But in that phase I’ve learned to have another perspective for more important things.
GQ: You, Mr. Reus, had to endure setbacks earlier in your career. You left BVB B-Youth at the age of 16 because they didn’t let you play. So you went to Rot Weiss Ahlen.
Reus: That was not really a setback for me. Only very few people make the transition from youth to pros in BVB. Mario made it, and Nuri. But other them them?
Götze: You must think about the situation in Dortmund. BVB was financially in a crucial place back then and therefore the club depended on its own young players and that was the time when I made the transition. That was what helped me. For Marco it wasn’t the same a few year earlier.
Reus: I left BVB because I wanted to play. It’s no use to be in Dortmund if you only sit on the bench. That’s why I decided with 16 to go that path. It turned out to be the right choice for me. Since then it’s getting better step for step, from Ahlen to Mönchengladbach, and from there back to Dortmund. I was lucky that I stayed healthy.
GQ: How big is your fear that a grave injury will come across your plans? Or do you just cut that out?
Reus: You shouldn’t waste a thought on that. Or you might be inhibited on the pitch. Instead you’re supposed to do you’re training in order to make you body and muscular system stronger. That’s the best way to prevent injuries.
GQ: The result is clearly visible on your bodies. What do you think about vanity? Obviously your outer appearance is important to you.
Reus: Oh, yeees! (Reus taps Götze’s thigh, points with his finger to him) Now I’m curious, what he’ll say!
GQ: Mr. Reus, do you want to answer for Mr. Götze?
Götze: I’m soo not vain!
Reus: Mario Götze is, well, how do I put this… Everyone wants to make the best of oneself and wants to look good. And tries out some things. Especially about the hair! That’s vital.
Götze: Someone is talking rather for themselves.
GQ: Where do you see potential for improvement on your outer appearance?
Götze: The beard still has to grow.
Reus: Right, the beard! Let’s say: He’s quite alright.
Götze: Everyone is a little bit vain. I like to take care of my appearance just like Marco. But I don’t concentrate on every detail, it’s not that important to me.
Reus: When in comes to vanity football players aren’t any different from ordinary men. But I think we’re both humble enough to know exactly what is really important in life. And it’s certainly not a haircut.

Bayern salary according to Sport Bild

RvtPf2i.png

Look at that list and tell me again how Lewandowski will earn €7-8m with a straight face. He'll be up there with the Götze's and Schweine's.

Pizarro, Rafinha and van Buyten are ridiculous high and show that Bayern just has one hell of a lot more money to spend than the rest of the Bundesliga. Although Rafinha has played all the time this season, those are contracts for backup players and they are kinda insane.

Fergie

Banned
RVP
Mata. Shinji Adnan

Rooney Fellaini

Man can dream. Rooney won't like it.

Shinji is dead anyway, unless Mata or Rooney gets injured, it's bench till summer.

Mastadon

Banned
Signing better players than who we currently have would be a good start.

The way things are going I doubt we'll be challenging for the title next season either. Too much change in such a short time.

Having better players doesn't necessitate a better team though. I suppose it comes down to whether or not you trust Moyes and Triple Wood to identify and build a team that has the right balance and mentality, but also the talent and ability to play a more expansive game.

To be fair to Moyes, you'd probably say that signing players is the area that he's proven himself in most, but there's also the caveat that being able to identify players for Everton may not replicate itself when looking at players of Utd's calibre.

You'd also worry that if Moyes is there next year, the pressure is going to be huge. Having 5 or 6 new first team players means that invariably there's going to be a period of adjustment and bedding-in. If it doesn't click right away, it's easy to see the confidence going again like it has this year.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Udinese owner Pozzo "We have been eliminated [from the Coppa] by one of our players [Cuadrado], we will make him pay in June." - GdS

evil-laugh-sookie.gif

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1898066_10150528258539953_1177429944_n.jpg[IMG]

what is this i dont even

madrid facebook pls[/QUOTE]

ISCO IS DEAD

Jack cw

Look at that list and tell me again how Lewandowski will earn €7-8m with a straight face. He'll be up there with the Götze's and Schweine's.

Pizarro, Rafinha and van Buyten are ridiculous high and show that Bayern just has one hell of a lot more money to spend than the rest of the Bundesliga. Although Rafinha has played all the time this season, those are contracts for backup players and they are kinda insane.

Well, calling Rafinha a backup player is a bit hyperbole. He played nearly every match under Pep and his performance was always good, so the wages are justified and every player deserved it.

Well, calling Rafinha a backup player is a bit hyperbole. He played nearly every match under Pep and his performance was always good, so the wages are justified and every player deserved it.

Bayern signed him as Lahm backup, nobody knew what crazy shit Pep would come up with 2 years later. That's what I was trying to say, just like Pizarro was signed as backup.

But I just remembered that he just recently signed a new contract, right? That changes a lot, that's for sure. I guess it's okay if those are the new wages, still ridiculous if those are the old ones.

Blablurn

Bayern signed him as Lahm backup, nobody knew what crazy shit Pep would come up with 2 years later. That's what I meant.

But I just realized that he just recently signed a new contract, right? That changes a lot, that's for sure. I guess it's okay if those are the new wages, still ridiculous if those are the old ones.

I agree with Milch over here. 5m is really a lot. Maybe Rafinha just has a good manager haha. Last big contract of his life. They always squeeze some more out of it.

The most disappointing thing about today's match is knowing that Moyes isn't going to change a damn thing. He thinks his tactics are brilliant.

Anyone else strangely hoping for an utter decimation tonight (if a win isn't possible obviously) so that it sends a clear message?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom