• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fergie

Banned
BgR91YgCAAAEmTc.jpg
ibbofUPRAF5yjA.gif

The most disappointing thing about today's match is knowing that Moyes isn't going to change a damn thing. He thinks his tactics are brilliant.

Anyone else strangely hoping for an utter decimation tonight (if a win isn't possible obviously) so that it sends a clear message?

I wouldn't be dismayed at this. We have little else to lose and much to be gained by him fucking off.

Clegg

I genuinely don't get some of you guys. A hammering won't change anything. Moyes isn't getting sacked if we lose badly. He has the backing of the board so you're just gonna have to get used to this.

Wilbur

Banned
He isn't getting sacked unless we lose 43-0 or something. I want us to win so we can at least try and get closer to fourth. We're in danger of falling to fucking ninth.

Just saw the new Robocop. Was decent. Haven't seen the original, but this one was alright, much better than the trailers suggested.

He isn't getting sacked unless we lose 43-0 or something. I want us to win so we can at least try and get closer to fourth. We're in danger of falling to fucking ninth.

Just saw the new Robocop. Was decent. Haven't seen the original, but this one was alright, much better than the trailers suggested.

ibhOFX6o6fVQ2m.gif

FuturusX

What is going on with that ginger's hair?! No way that isn't colored. You can't look that old and not have your hair start to change.

P.s. I thought that was a woman initially.

My wife, she's American and never heard of Simply Red, asked me:

"Who is that lady sitting next to Fergie? She looks like him...perhaps his daughter?"

"I'm not sure he has daughter...I think he only has a son" I replied. I had seen a brief shot of Fergie and Hucknall, perhaps there was a woman sitting on the other side or just behind.

"Maybe he sister then. They definitely look alike."

"Hmm...I'll check her out, I only saw Mick Hucknall from Simply Red sitting next to him"

I scream in laughter when the coverage cuts to a sullen Fergie and Mick Hucknall and no woman present.

You just violated your prime directive. Erase that PG-13 drivel from your memory and head to your local blockbuster (In a time machine).

noal

Banned
I genuinely don't get some of you guys. A hammering won't vhange anything. Moyes isn't getting sacked if we lose badly. He has the backing of the board so you're just gonna have to get used to this.

I don't care how bad it is; I don't want to get hammered at Arsenal. I just hope that the performance Is a lot better than last week.

Jack cw

Bayern signed him as Lahm backup, nobody knew what crazy shit Pep would come up with 2 years later. That's what I was trying to say, just like Pizarro was signed as backup.

But I just remembered that he just recently signed a new contract, right? That changes a lot, that's for sure. I guess it's okay if those are the new wages, still ridiculous if those are the old ones.

I agree with Milch over here. 5m is really a lot. Maybe Rafinha just has a good manager haha. Last big contract of his life. They always squeeze some more out of it.
He got a new contract just recently and his playtime under Pep brought him into a better position and his performance is really good. I couldnt name another right full back with that quality and performance for fewer money... This backup bullshit is something so wrong. You get paid, based on skill, standing, perspective and negotiating.

FuturusX

There is no way in a million years we are going to hammer Man Utd tonight. It's likely to be a close game.

Wounded animal blah blah. Granted. But UTD have defended like children all season, there's a good chance of a Arsenal roasting.

Could go either way. When I say either way - I mean a tight game where one team sneaks it or a drubbing from Arsenal.

jtb

Banned

the original is a fucking classic, you need to correct that ASAP

Meier

I scream in laughter when the coverage cuts to a sullen Fergie and Mick Hucknall and no woman present.

That's too funny. I had no idea that's what Mick Hucknall looked like to be quite honest.Surprised she hadn't heard of Simply Red though! They had quite a few hits here as well.

I'm certain he's coloring his hair though at this point -- that is far too vibrant. But wow, 53? I don't know if he has an open history of drug use but that's the only explanation for looking that old at 53. Woof!

Wilbur

Banned
the original is a fucking classic, you need to correct that ASAP

Yeah, like I said I might watch it later. Can't help but feel people are being prejudiced against this already though lol, the Enpire review said it's thematically much poorer than the original because that was about a machine trying to become a man again, and this one about a man trying to hold onto his humanity.

... I don't see how that's much worse rather than spinning some nostalgic narrative :lol. Obviously, don't like the film fair enough, and I only thought it was decent myself. But it's definitely being judged pre-emptively.

FuturusX

yeah, the shamelessly 80's vibe can be polarizing and most of the effects haven't held up, but I think the satire and humor are still really sharp.

The mere fact that it's and R rated film is an instant win over the remake. The effects hold up okay - perhaps the stop motion suffers a bit - but all the other practical effects work well.

Between the satire and the sheer audacity of the tone. I'd say it's still a classic.

EDIT: I'd also argue that the arc of the central character is still very much the same. Both are trying to finding the human being in amongst the machine. In the original - it's explored through one of the most uniquely human traits. Revenge. In fact Revenge is a theme thoroughly exploited in the film across multiple characters. Excellent.

Now I've only seen trailers for the new film - so I'll reserve full judgement. But you can't do Robocop justice within the confines of a PG-13 film can you????

I genuinely don't get some of you guys. A hammering won't change anything. Moyes isn't getting sacked if we lose badly. He has the backing of the board so you're just gonna have to get used to this.

I don't know, has the board even spoke out publicly in recent weeks?

The fact is that we're 2/3rds of the way through the season, and United haven't even begun to look like they're the same Champions from last year.

Results have been dreadful, play style has been ineffective and even big money signings like Fellaini and Mata are struggling to fit into the team due to Moyes' inability to change formations.

It was always going to be difficult this year, but United should not be struggling against bottom of the table teams at home.

His latest press conference was a complete farce as well. United did not play well - they were losing for the bulk of the match and did absolutely nothing with the possession they received.

I want to give him more time because he did well at Everton, but it's clear that something is going on at United that we don't know about. I'm sure the board aren't impressed about how embarrassing this season has become and chucking more money at him if he's not even willing to change things up is a fruitless exercise.

Meier

Agreed. If that is correct, I can understand Kroos now. Less than Rafinha and van Buyten? That seems unfair.

Personally, I think the Robben/Alaba-level would definitely be more fair.

Well, you can see that Robben and Kroos expire at the same time and Robben was obviously the bigger name when they signed their respective deals (I'm guessing Robben has had at least 1 extension during his time there at the club and Kroos probably re-upped after coming back from Leverkusen). I think when Robben signs a new deal he'll get a bump to the 10m range. Kroos is probably being offered around 7-8m which would be fair.

Bayern had to give Gotze an insane amount of money to sign him away from Dortmund -- what long-term effect that has on the wage structure remains to be seen but it's probably affecting the Kroos situation.

Elchele

Kroos salary makes sense, Rafinha is ahead of him because he just renewed. Surely Kroos would be earning much more if he had renewed already. I would give him 8M (as much as Thiago) too.

Well, you can see that Robben and Kroos expire at the same time and Robben was obviously the bigger name when they signed their respective deals (I'm guessing Robben has had at least 1 extension during his time there at the club and Kroos probably re-upped after coming back from Leverkusen). I think when Robben signs a new deal he'll get a bump to the 10m range. Kroos is probably being offered around 7-8m which would be fair.

Bayern had to give Gotze an insane amount of money to sign him away from Dortmund -- what long-term effect that has on the wage structure remains to be seen but it's probably affecting the Kroos situation.

I doubt Robben will get much of a bump since he's already 30yo and he's no Ribéry. We also normally don't give more than 1 year extensions to players who are 30yo or older.

Wilbur

Banned
I could go along with this. Though Sarah looks pretty coked out these days.

My ex's sister worked in a hotel once and there was some celeb do. She went up to deliver room service and a naked Danny Dyer answered the door while naked Sarah Harding was all coked up writhing on the bed.

Meier

I doubt Robben will get much of a bump since he's already 30yo and he's no Ribéry. We also normally don't give more than 1 year extensions to players who are 30yo or older.

Robben could get more elsewhere and his production has been really fantastic for you guys. I think he'll go in that 9-10m range pretty comfortably.

Interesting article from Sky on Özil "fading" -- uses some Opta stats as a comparison tool: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/9161356/why-is-ozil-fading. I think the most interesting thing to me is that he's almost played as many minutes in the PL as he did in La Liga last year.

features-ozil-form_3081856.jpg

I think Moyes could easily be in serious trouble towards the end of this season - look at the fixtures coming up.

- Crystal Palace away

- West Brom away

- Liverpool home

- West Ham away

- City at home

Those aren't easy games.

Anyway, enough of the moyes talk till later.

Any other predictions for tonight? Anyone see Fulham pull off an upset haha?

Ashes

Banned
I think Moyes could easily be in serious trouble towards the end of this season - look at the fixtures coming up.

- Crystal Palace away

- West Brom away

- Liverpool home

- West Ham away

- City at home

Those aren't easy games.

Anyway, enough of the moyes talk till later.

Any other predictions for tonight? Anyone see Fulham pull off an upset haha?

I agree with your fixture predictions, but Fulham have used an entire season's luck in the last game. They'll get confidence and attack again, only to return to their old ways and get hammered. They're already spent as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom