• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesalr

Made in OGC Nice 8)

I remember how it was amazing to have such a talented a 18yo GK, playing for his birthplace's club. The kind of player you have only once every 10 or 20 years.

His younger brother is near to sign his first pro contract (he's playing CB).

He's absolutely incredible. The best keeper in my lifetime at Spurs, and probably above our level too. He's one of a few players who deserve to be in the CL from our squad, but it'd hurt so much to see him leave if we finish outside of the top 4.

Fry

SOCCER-Fulham-210036_527-6703585.jpg

It took me 5 seconds to realise that was Clive Owen.

i1gFKelchm7a.gif

I love this part. Look how Suarez and Gerrard drag them to the center of the field.

*this is no time for celebration, let's win this shit*

Linius

I don't like if work calls a few hours before you have to start. You just know what they want. I'm just gonna sit here and enjoy my lunch at home and start at my regular time. I ain't hearing no phone.

Clegg

Inter have apparently signed Vidic for next year, just needs to be announced. Is he good anymore? I assumed he was basically dead.
Nowhere near as good as he used to be. Remember that at his peak he was possibly the best central defender in the world. Now he's just decent. Gets out muscled and out jumped which would've been inconceivable a free years ago. He's also really, really slow.

Nowhere near as good as he used to be. Remember that at his peak he was possibly the best central defender in the world. Now he's just decent. Gets out muscled and out jumped which would've been inconceivable a free years ago. He's also really, really slow.

Sounds in keeping with Inter's team. Should fit in perfectly.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Valentine's Day is gonna be great. Beer, snacks and watchihg HoC

All by myself

In a dark, cold empty room
I don't get you Bacon. You're really cute and you live in Holanda! Just go out now and grab someone bb

Inter have apparently signed Vidic for next year, just needs to be announced. Is he good anymore? I assumed he was basically dead.

the Serbian Ranocchia. He's dead, yes.

Salazar

He's not real good anymore. A better forward than Giroud would have put goals on him. And he's leading with his elbows and climbing more than an elite CB should. He can't do the rough shit anymore without looking like Huth.

He has to deal with some difficult shit because we often have no midfield and our fullbacks are, in various ways, bogus, but his decline is visible, probably irreversible, and substantial.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Gets out muscled and out jumped which would've been inconceivable a free years ago. He's also really, really slow.

He's not real good anymore. A better forward than Giroud would have put goals on him. And he's leading with his elbows and climbing more than an elite CB should. He can't do the rough shit anymore without looking like Huth.

He has to deal with some difficult shit because we often have no midfield and our fullbacks are, in various ways, bogus, but his decline is visible, probably irreversible, and substantial.

that's...delicious. I can't wait to see him with Inter then!

Yurt, I'd totally sign Andrea the Frog. It's like Pokemon: we need to collect all of Italy's most promising CBs.

Ogbonna--Bonucci--Ranocchia future

Blablurn

Wer das Spiel allerdings im BVB-Netradio mit Kommentator Norbert Dickel verfolgt hat, bekam in jener Spielszene folgenden Kommentar zu hören. Mit Blick auf Rode sagte Dickel: "Der geht ja auch zu den Bayern, kauft doch einfach ... kauft doch einfach alle! Kauft euch 400 Spieler und gründet eure eigene Liga, dann werdet ihr jedes Jahr Meister und könnt mit fünf Fans auf dem Marienplatz feiern."

BVB Netradio commentator Norbert Dickel during the game Dortmund - Frankfurt 2 days ago:

During a scene with Rode who is going to Bayern next year: "He is also going to Bayern. Just buy... just BUY EVERYONE! Buy 400 players and create your own league. Then you will become champion every year and celebrate with 5 fans on the Marienplatz (the location where bayern always celebrates)"

looooooooool

dat meltdown

iMxqoHaFkWVo8.gif
iblj92TxFw6Qse.gif
iMxqoHaFkWVo8.gif

bud

i would be bored if i were a bayern supporter.

the only excitement would have to come from the champions league--but that's not on every week.

Linius

the only excitement would have to come from the champions league--but that's not on every week.

Well let's not the deny the fact that it's fun to see your team winning a lot. It could be starting to get boring if you're not challenged for more than four or five years in a row but for now I guess they'll have fun. I would.

Pretty much

There's being the dominant force like Man Utd over the last 20 or so years, then there's trouncing the opposition in all aspects.

Genuinely, the only way the Bundesliga can become exciting would be for someone to be taken over by some oil barons.

It's not Bayern's fault per se, but them's the facts.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Bentaleb was fucking amazing yesterday, hopefully this was the game where Sherwood learned the value of holding midfielders. With Capoue in there, Dembele, Paulinho and Bentaleb were free to run at Newcastle and we caused them serious damage. On another day we could have scored twice as many goals.

Blablurn

Well, there is some truth in this. Yesterday I got a lil bored throughout the game. In the past 10 years a DFB Cup Quarter Final normally used to be more entertaining. But HSV is also to blame since they played pretty pretty bad. Thats not how a 1st league team should play. In terms of national competition the biggest question right now is if we can win the title already next month or not. But I'm okay with that. So far Dortmund has one 2 of the last 3 titles. Time to catch up again. Thats some kind of motivation. Plus its gonna be interesting if Pep is able to break Jupps record of most points in one season.

I remember when Dortmund got the record 2 years ago Klopp said that this is one for the ages and they still might talk about it in 20, 30 years lol. And then Jupp just destroyed it. And Pep has even more points than Jupp right now.

Anyway, yeah, the main tension lies on the CL. But I still don't think we can win it again. At least I got a lil more optimistic about that Arsenal game. Some months ago they looked like a real contender but since Ghöstzil re-appeared again I'm a lil bit more confident that we can beat you guys.

Bottom line is, I'm okay with out situation. Bayern used to be the "child who tried" during the 00s. It's good to see that we can keep up with the worlds best now. And I don't feel like excusing myself for being so good. It's up to the others to make better transfers and be a better team.

EDIT:

What Bacon said basically.

Jack cw

BVB Netradio commentator Norbert Dickel during the game Dortmund - Frankfurt 2 days ago:

During a scene with Rode who is going to Bayern next year: "He is also going to Bayern. Just buy... just BUY EVERYONE! Buy 400 players and create your own league. Then you will become champion every year and celebrate with 5 fans on the Marienplatz (the location where bayern always celebrates)"

looooooooool

dat meltdown
Those 2 years of Dortmund playing beyond their means made some "Erfolgsfans" crazy. I dont know what they expected after 2012. That Bayern wouldnt react? It was clear that they strike back and bought their two best players. BVB played with fire and got burned to the ground. They defeated Bayern in 2011 and 2012 and it was dream but reality surpassed them and they struggle against an enemy that is lightyears ahead in any way. Dortmund better decide what they do. Either keep the philosphy with talents or break the rules and pay the big wages and buy the big stars to compete with Bayern. Both is not possible as they are still in the stock market and wont ever compete with the top 5 clubs.

Blablurn

Those 2 years of Dortmund playing beyond their means made some "Erfolgsfans" crazy. I dont know what they expected after 2012. That Bayern wouldnt react? It was clear that they strike back and bought their two best players. BVB played with fire and got burned to the ground. They defeated Bayern in 2011 and 2012 and it was dream but reality surpassed them and they struggle against an enemy that is lightyears ahead in any way. Dortmund better decide what they do. Either keep the philosphy with talents or break the rules and pay the big wages and buy the big stars to compete with Bayern. Both is not possible as they are still in the stock market and wont ever compete with the top 5 clubs.

I love how Watzke said: "After beating them 5:2 I saw a certain look in the eyes of the Bayern managers. A look that means that they would strike back with all their power."

And now he complains about it lol.

Jack cw

Well let's not the deny the fact that it's fun to see your team winning a lot. It could be starting to get boring if you're not challenged for more than four or five years in a row but for now I guess they'll have fun. I would.

It is boring sometimes but we cant change the facts right now. Bayern are trying to compete with City, PSG and Chelsea in the future and they already set the course as they want to stay competitive the next decade and those 3 clubs (also Real and Barca) are going to be the biggest competition in CL. Bundesliga suffers from this, but many clubs like Leverkusen, Schalke and BVB are rather conservative. If they want to compete they need to put some money on the table as witch tactics and some talents alone, you wont get any far.

Well, there is some truth in this. Yesterday I got a lil bored throughout the game. In the past 10 years a DFB Cup Quarter Final normally used to be more entertaining. But HSV is also to blame since they played pretty pretty bad. Thats not how a 1st league team should play. In terms of national competition the biggest question right now is if we can win the title already next month or not. But I'm okay with that. So far Dortmund has one 2 of the last 3 titles. Time to catch up again. Thats some kind of motivation. Plus its gonna be interesting if Pep is able to break Jupps record of most points in one season.

I remember when Dortmund got the record 2 years ago Klopp said that this is one for the ages and they still might talk about it in 20, 30 years lol. And then Jupp just destroyed it. And Pep has even more points than Jupp right now.

Anyway, yeah, the main tension lies on the CL. But I still don't think we can win it again. At least I got a lil more optimistic about that Arsenal game. Some months ago they looked like a real contender but since Ghöstzil re-appeared again I'm a lil bit more confident that we can beat you guys.

Bottom line is, I'm okay with out situation. Bayern used to be the "child who tried" during the 00s. It's good to see that we can keep up with the worlds best now. And I don't feel like excusing myself for being so good. It's up to the others to make better transfers and be a better team.

EDIT:

What Bacon said basically.

Do you really think that's feasible though? The others don't have the money for transfers, or the wages/draw to sign players good enough and numerous enough to challenge as far as I can tell. Title-winning clubs created on a budget like Dortmund's 3 years ago happens once a lifetime when the league is shared with a financial powerhouse.

Jack cw

I love how Watzke said: "After beating them 5:2 I saw a certain look in the eyes of the Bayern managers. A look that means that they would strike back with all their power."

And now he complains about it lol.

Watzke is a smart guy but lately he talks more about Bayern than Dortmund. BVB stirred up the hornets nest and the result is that they were pretty much overrun by Bayern. Even old Heynckes managed to conter Klopps tactics and Pep outcoached him pretty hard a few weeks ago. Its great to have great rival as it was the reason for Bayerns succes. Its Dortmunds or Wolfsburgs turn now to bring something new.

Blablurn

Do you really think that's feasible though? The others don't have the money for transfers, or the wages/draw to sign players good enough and numerous enough to challenge as far as I can tell. Title-winning clubs created on a budget like Dortmund's 3 years ago happens once a lifetime when the league is shared with a financial powerhouse.

Of course. The Bundesliga is healthy and attractive.

Furthermore Bayern will not always stay this successfull. In the 70s we had the best team in the world, won the Champions League 3 times in a row. Yet even this team didnt stay on top forever.

And other teams will strike back too (on the european stage). Manchester will come back in a few years, City is already a machine and PSG will be one soon too.

Bayern might be on a run now but it's nothing that lasts forever. Neither in the CL nor in the Bundesliga. So I'm just enjoying the moment.

Linius

To be fair, a good number of German clubs have pretty penny. If we (Ajax) had that kind of money we would be a CL force to be reckoned with. They'll figure it out, Bayern will always be there but they're not as dominant as they are now all the time.

Jack cw

Nobody prevents those other clubs to get some investors onboard. HSV did and suffer from an incompetent board. Wolfsburg has VW and getting a better and better team every year and will compete with Bayern in the next few years. Hoffenheim has an investor with billions of Euro. They all still dont want to take the risk though as the business model with buying cheap talents and sell them for a higher price works better for them. Money isnt the main reason, as the stadiums are full, the clubs are pretty much free from debts. But the 50+1 rule and the conservative boards of some clubs are the problem. Bayern arent invincible but Bundesliga doesnt even try.

BVB played with fire and got burned to the ground.

How so? They spent well within their means, built a good structure, made an incredibly astute managerial appointment and created a title-winning team without the money that is normally needed to do so in a major league. Bayern reclaiming their place at the top was an inevitability, but it's not like Dortmund destroyed their medium/long term future in their march to those titles.

QPR are a team that played with fire and got burned, Dortmund are just a team that couldn't sustain their success die to voluntary limits and a ludicrously strong opposition.

edit: Didn't realise so many German clubs had such rich people on their boards. Similar to Arsenal, I guess? More interested in making money to increase the bank account by 1%, than winning titles.

Blablurn

How so? They spent well within their means, built a good structure, made an incredibly astute managerial appointment and created a title-winning team without the money that is normally needed to do so in a major league. Bayern reclaiming their place at the top was an inevitability, but it's not like Dortmund destroyed their medium/long term future in their march to those titles.

QPR are a team that played with fire and got burned, Dortmund are just a team that couldn't sustain their success die to voluntary limits and a ludicrously strong opposition.

They dared to steal Reus away from us :O

sohois

Bayern were basically an irrelevancy in the Champions League for most of the 00s, so I'm sure they'll take a boring domestic league in order to be competitive in the CL.

I remember a few years back Bayern demolished, was it Sporting?, 12-0 over 2 legs but they never had any chance of competing with the big teams.

Jack cw

Nope, Dortmund has great players and Klopp had a great working tactic and matchplan with his counterpressing that worked well against nearly all clubs, domestic and international. But it got obsolete once Bayern adapted to this in their style under Heynckes. They reached their limit last year as they got beaten by many Bundesliga clubs just like this year. I'm not denying the great work at Dortmund but they were basically without a chance to win anything because of Bayern and the future doesnt look much better as they lost Götze and Lewandowski and couldnt replace them properly. Bayern bought Thiago and Götze even though they didnt had to but it was smart to have a wider roster and it was the reason last year for the 25 points lead as it is this year. Dortmund are a solid side now but not as strong as they were the last few years ago.

Jack cw

Bayern were basically an irrelevancy in the Champions League for most of the 00s, so I'm sure they'll take a boring domestic league in order to be competitive in the CL.

I remember a few years back Bayern demolished, was it Sporting?, 12-0 over 2 legs but they never had any chance of competing with the big teams.

Thats true. After 2001 we fell apart as we missed to sustain the success and didnt buy new great players that could help us and lost many iconic players. Hoeness did not want to spend the big money on stars like Madrid did at the time or the british clubs, so we went for mediocre players like Santa Cruz, Podolski, Schlaudraff, Baumjohann, Karimi, Dos Santos, Braafheid, Oddo etc.

Thank god we learned from this.

Nope, Dortmund has great players and Klopp had a great working tactic and matchplan with his counterpressing that worked well against nearly all clubs, domestic and international. But it got obsolete once Bayern adapted to this in their style under Heynckes. They reached their limit last year as they got beaten by many Bundesliga clubs just like this year. I'm not denying the great work at Dortmund but they were basically without a chance to win anything because of Bayern and the future doesnt look much better as they lost Götze and Lewandowski and couldnt replace them properly. Bayern bought Thiago and Götze even though they didnt had to but it was smart to have a wider roster and it was the reason last year for the 25 points lead as it is this year. Dortmund are a solid side now but not as strong as they were the last few years ago.

That is neither playing with fire, nor being burned to the ground though. Its just smartly building a team that cannot be sustained, and failing to sustain it for a particularly long time.

It almost sounds like you're saying they were stupid to even try and take you on without spending the hundreds of millions necessary for long term success.

Jack cw

That is neither playing with fire, nor being burned to the ground though. Its just smartly building a team that cannot be sustained, and failing to sustain it for a particularly long time.

It almost sounds like you're saying they were stupid to even try and take you on without spending the hundreds of millions necessary for long term success.

I'm only comparing those two clubs. Dortmund knew what a race with Bayern would mean but many supporters failed to see this. Dortmunds board knew exactly that they have woken up a sleeping giant and Bayern are still so hurt, that they constantly weaken Dortmund until today. They take away their best players, force BVB into a race with money that they cannot win. Götze and Lewandwski earn more at Bayern than Dortmund would ever want to pay. So, if you talk about titles and chances to win some, then Dortmund got beaten pretty badly. Expectations were to be able to compete with Bayern, but reality is that Leverkusen and Schalke are the competition. I understand the crying of some fans but Dortmund has bigger problems than Bayern right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom