• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

Awesome, £7.50 saved (with the caveat that 4oD has adverts)

Any idea how long it will be on there for?

@Subtle, wh would we want Reus when we already have Texeira?

Some terrible, terrible puns in the Clone Wars/Netflix thread

iblnXWVYG8f9QU.png

4oD are pretty good with keeping their back catalogue up, so I imagine you have quite a while to watch it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
haha shit, they're going to abolish the co-ownership system in Italy

Clubs in Italy will have a maximum of 2 yrs to sort out their co-ownership deals if what's being reported about abolishing the rule is true.

Atalanta's dg Marino says 2 years is ridiculous & that clubs should be given at least 3-5 years to adjust to the changes.

Genoa and Parma are so dead/going to prison.

Newspaper from Augsburg saying that Klopp wants Andre Hahn and Hahn wants the move as well.

We're either building the largest squad in BVB history or Zorc/Klopp/Watzke have lost their gooddamn minds.

subtles

@Subtle, why would we want Reus when we already have Texeira?

No reason the two cannot flourish together, no?

Gladbach's Reus was one of my favorite players, a player I was really looking forward to seeing us sign. (Hint: We never stood a chance)

He performed when moving to Dortmund but back then he was one of the most complete attackers in Europe. I watched a lot of the Bundesliga back then as Dortmund were on the rise and Gladbach were an exciting team with some remarkable open play attacking 'set pieces'.

I haven't seen many games seen Bayern went out of control.

Every player I have taken a fancy to has left me in the dust. Maybe it's the Liver Bird... I don't know. The last one that really hurt me was Oscar though. You can't fathom how much I loved the little bugger and was surprised more journalists/bloggers (other than snapKaKapop) weren't talking about him. Never in my wildest dreams did I think Chelsea would go in for him.

I must not allow a player not wearing red to take me in. To give me false hopes.

I can't help myself with Reus.

Brendan please.

Oh look it's Moyes bashing time (sponsored by Laboured):

F365 said:
United only managed three shots after the 15th minute, which is fewer than Fulham achieved in the siege of Old Trafford.

This is the effect of being coached by a manager who was employed for his character rather than his genius. It is not a question of showing bravery to attack, but instead how that aim can be reached. For a team including Van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Juan Mata to look so devoid of ideas in the final third is quite astonishing. In truth, it appeared that the only instruction was "don't cross it as much".

And yet there was nothing to replace the crossing. Van Persie's gilt-edged early chance was the result of Mikel Arteta's error, although it did reveal an intention to try and press Arsenal high up the pitch. That tactic slowly gave way to a more limited approach, however, as the Gunners remained in the ascendancy in the second half, thwarted by some determined defending and their reliance on Giroud. Had they possessed a striker of Van Persie's quality, this would almost certainly have been a home win.

"All I can do - and I keep saying it - is we will try and win the next game and pick it up," said Moyes at full-time. Perhaps if he hadn't kept saying that and instead have worked on introducing a more convincing style of play, United would not be where they are now - facing a season of embarrassment in the Europa League as Moyes puts on a brave face and insists his project is going to plan. He didn't deserve the job in the first place and he deserves it even less now.

There is a foul smell of mediocrity emanating from a club who were crowned champions only nine months ago. Ed Woodward can rally shareholders by claiming that United will be active in the summer but, without the lure of the Champions League, top targets will go elsewhere. And if money is the deciding factor in transfers? Well, the Glazers have shown they neither have the funds or the desire to compete with the likes of PSG and Monaco, who splurged over £100m on Falcao alone. If five or six players are required, what chance is there that Moyes will find and attract the requisite quality?

But not to worry: "Some of our competitors have not won the league for a long time and they still sell a lot of shirts - one of them is just down the road."

What has happened to this colossus of world football?

In other shitty news, looks like Güngogan's nerve is fucking with him again and nobody knows when he can train again.

RIP best CM/DM that Germany ever had. It was a fun year.

LegoArmo

In other shitty news, looks like Güngogan's nerve is fucking with him again and nobody knows when he can train again.

United will take the broken Bundesliga centre midfielder, win the Champions League with him and then let him run out the rest of his contract until he joins City on a free.

Zabojnik

Don't give up hope now, Milch. It's all going just according to keikaku. You've successfully lulled your CL opponents into a false sense of security. Most of your key players will be back just in time for the CL final. I can feel it.

sohois

Newspaper from Augsburg saying that Klopp wants Andre Hahn and Hahn wants the move as well.

We're either building the largest squad in BVB history or Zorc/Klopp/Watzke have lost their gooddamn minds.

Seeing as how your squad has been decimated by injuries this season, don't you think it's wise to build a slightly larger squad so you can keep up with the various competitions and competitors approaching?

I suppose a lot depends on how Klopp is as a rotator. I'm not at all confident in Rodgers handling next season with a host of young players needing to be used plus new depth for the CL, given how resolutely he sticks to the same first 11. But if Klopp is comfortable with swapping things around then it seems like the best solution

Sinisa Mihajlovic said:
“I consider Francesco(Totti) the greatest Italian footballer of all time. Greater than Baggio and Rivera"

What the fuck, how are Switzerland ahead of Italy? FIFA are a fucking joke organisation with their rankings. I would love to see Blatter get twated.

Also happy Birthday to Arsenal, Juve and Ireland legend.

119792hp2.jpg

bradyy.jpg

liam-brady.jpg

Blablurn

I hope everyone is watching True Detective. Show is really taken off and the production values are TV at its best.

my english is not that bad but i have problems following woody and matthew because of their strong accents. annoying. only watched the first episode so far.

Wilbur

Banned
Laboured, that article was actually written by you wasn't it :lol

I dunno. I think if that exact performance happened under Fergie, we wouldn't be too disheartened. I don't remember us being that great at the Emirates last year.

Difference is we had won the title then I think, so obviously in context it wasn't that great a result.

Eleven points behind Liverpool, Christ.

Don't give up hope now, Milch. It's all going just according to keikaku. You've successfully lulled your CL opponents into a false sense of security. Most of your key players will be back just in time for the CL final. I can feel it.
Haha, yeah, that would be great, But it's been more than 6 months for Gündogan, he trained a bit last month and he's back with the same problem. That plus the fact that nobody really gives information on his condition, I have the feeling it will never get "good" again. But I guess we'll see...

Seeing as how your squad has been decimated by injuries this season, don't you think it's wise to build a slightly larger squad so you can keep up with the various competitions and competitors approaching?

I suppose a lot depends on how Klopp is as a rotator. I'm not at all confident in Rodgers handling next season with a host of young players needing to be used plus new depth for the CL, given how resolutely he sticks to the same first 11. But if Klopp is comfortable with swapping things around then it seems like the best solution
Klopp hardly rotates, unless the players are at a very similiar level. I don't see players like Hahn (maybe in a year or two) or Ramos at the same level of Reus/Aubameyang/Lewy, they will hardly play like Hofmann for example. And like I wrote above, Hahn would be the 8th player for our attacking three. That just seems too much to me.

pulga

Banned

I dunno. I think if that exact performance happened under Fergie, we wouldn't be too disheartened. I don't remember us being that great at the Emirates last year.

Difference is we had won the title then I think, so obviously in context it wasn't that great a result.

im going to present you with a gif, but first close your eyes

imagine Manchester United is a foot

the champions league is a toilet

liverpool is..well...you'll see

index.php

YOU SHALL NOT PASS

:lol

In isolation it wasn't completely terrible, but in context of our season it speaks very negative things about the mentality with which we approached the match and the form and confidence of our players, plus Moyes's ability in general.

Last season we didn't do great at the Emirates but we had a lot to lose so keeping it tight was a priority. We had nothing to lose last night (apart from another dent in Moyes's reputation) and we were very meek against an Arsenal side with its confidence already shredded by Liverpool.

i don't even think United got what it takes to make the EL.

and if they do, last time a Moyes helmed team faced Benfica they took it deep. remember that, fari?

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah I just put Pulga on ignore

:lol

In isolation it wasn't completely terrible, but in context of our season it speaks very negative things about the mentality with which we approached the match and the form and confidence of our players, plus Moyes's ability in general.

Last season we didn't do great at the Emirates but we had a lot to lose so keeping it tight was a priority. We had nothing to lose last night (apart from another dent in Moyes's reputation) and we were very meek against an Arsenal side with its confidence already shredded by Liverpool.

Mm, I don't disagree with you entirely. Feels like in a week though he's gone from getting not enough flak to getting too much haha.

Fuck it, season's over. Let's see what summer brings.

Blablurn

Man, Ruuuuuuuud was a done deal... then we lost to Deportivo and we got the Phantom... Well, imagine van Nistelrooy in Bayerns squad under Magath and Ali Karimi as CAM. No, dont.

damn. looking back at these times we really deserve to enjoy those successfull days we have right now. bayern was a mess lol

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Comparing Everton's results under Moyes to United is really quite silly. It's a completely different team.

and his Everton was better

I cant :/
He gave us his word! Just like Diego.

which Diego? Our 6 months wonder Diego?

Why do we even bother with Brazilians smh

Absolutely. Unbelievable skills all around to pull that scene off in one shot like that with no cuts. That shit was incredible.

I believe it had hidden cuts, unless any 'making of' proves otherwise. I know I'd definitely hide a cut when the camera pans up to the helicopter and then back down.

Edit - apparently is was a real. In which case that makes it even more impressive.

Yeah I just put Pulga on ignore

Mm, I don't disagree with you entirely. Feels like in a week though he's gone from getting not enough flak to getting too much haha.

Fuck it, season's over. Let's see what summer brings.

Yeah, at least the summer won't be dull.

I was just thinking though, signing international standard players is going to be a bitch (if that's what he's presumably gunning for). May mean late signings of players that need an extended pre-season after the WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom