• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eanan

Where's the bus? Where's the bus? All I saw was a train!

Devastating, vintage Jose Mourinho. He caught everyone on the hop, tonight he did exactly what he said he would do, he sent a team out there to win the game, to win a vital 3 points and to put Chelsea quite firmly into the title mix. It was a Mourinho masterclass, complete with gigantic efforts from every single player in a Chelsea jersey, with towering defensive performances and pin-point attacking, City's defence had never looked so vulnerable at home.

It's tough to point to an individual because each player did what was asked of them, each player went beyond the call of duty but Cahill, Azpilicueta, Hazard and Willian were all excellent but my pick for MOTM is the herculean Serbian at the heart of the Chelsea midfield, Nemanja Matic was everywhere, a dominating force that equalled Yaya Toure, not so Makelele or Essien in his prime have Chelsea had a central midfielder of this quality.

It's Mourinho's night... it's Chelsea's night.

wfkL9m5.gif

Yet more grim viewing for Mikel.
I had to bring it up

Also, this analysis from Gary Neville about David Silva is exactly why Jose didn't play Mata, because he didn't want to adapt like Hazard in particular has.

Arnie

Think it must have been a buy-back in his contract which kept the price as low as it was and facilitated the transfer. As I recall, Benfica claimed they'd turned down a 40m euro offer from him in the summer.
Don't think so, other teams were linked but just never made any official move for the player. It's not as if other clubs couldn't go in for him, it's just that they didn't.
I thought we beat one of the Manchester clubs to him?
Not really. Not properly.

Beating a club to a player is Willian/Salah/Hazard material, when more than one club has put an official bid in and things get a little naughty.

Nobody even tried to say 'oi, Nemanja, we'll have you an all'
They probably sounded it out and soon found out he was going to Chelsea and nowhere else.
I don't doubt they sounded him out, in fact this is probably the case, but I don't believe there was strong enough interest from elsewhere for him and his agent to go, 'wait a minute, these fucked me off so perhaps i'll try something else'
stop it arnie
NO YOU STOP IT

Messi

A wise man once told me "Each loss is a stepping stone to success. No one wins without failure."

I think when we look back on that game we will see City had the chances to score a few goals, as did Chelsea.

Invincibles... Juventas

scently

The studio telecaster broadcasting in India brought Martinez.. Everton manager.. for technical analysis. He had some excellent input.

Yeah, his reading of the game, tactics etc. was a breath of fresh air as compared to Andy Townsend. Hopefully they bring him on for more games.

A wise man once told me "Each loss is a stepping stone to success. No one wins without failure."

I think when we look back on that game we will see City had the chances to score a few goals, as did Chelsea.

Chelsea could have won 3-0 and it wouldn't have been unfair.

Beating a club to a player is Willian/Salah/Hazard material, when more than one club has put an official bid in and things get a little naughty.

Nobody even tried to say 'oi, Nemanja, we'll have you an all'

He actually said he had other offers, but wanted to go back to Chelsea, why I don't quite understand with him not being used at all the first time around, but guess Mourinho assured him he would this time... and he's good friends with Premier Ass.

RaikuHebi

Banned
He actually said he had other offers, but wanted to go back to Chelsea, why I don't quite understand with him not being used at all the first time around, but guess Mourinho assured him he would this time... and he's good friends with Premier Ass.

First time around he wasn't the player he is now.

dc89

Invincibles... Juventas

Wise man :)

Yep, you'd have put your house on more goals.
Looking at our chances on another day they'd have crept in. A tad unfortunate.

You don't actually have that much cover for Toure and Fernandinho surprisingly.

Yep. There's only one person in our team who can do what Fernan does and that's Fernan. We will get those players in summer.

Fintan

I think it was probably obvious that he would get plenty of game time when you looked at our other midfield options. Was always going to get in ahead of Mikel and Essien.

Meier

You can say that, but Toure was inches wide in the final 10, Silva was inches wide in the first 20, Dzeko wasted his typical chances, Cech made a few world class saves. City were very fortunate to concede just 1, but Chelsea were equally lucky to concede 0.

You can say that, but Toure was inches wide in the final 10, Silva was inches wide in the first 20, Dzeko wasted his typical chances, Cech made a few world class saves. City were very fortunate to concede just 1, but Chelsea were equally lucky to concede 0.

ok, lets say 3-1.

Arnie

Fair enough, perhaps I just missed it because I didn't see any public 'X bid for Matic' stories in the press. Perhaps that's because, as you and Viva say, he just wanted to return to Chelsea.

When half the world's clamouring for Jonjo Shelvey in a few years and Brendan lures him back to Melwood for a clandestine medical then I'll be having the last laugh.

bud

But he didn't beat us. And we've gotten a lot better at scoring vs. very defensive sides. I wonder how he'll setup when we go to the Bridge.

he didn't, but he could have. that's how united have beaten arsenal for years. just keep it compact, wait for arsenal to inevitably fuck up, and then hit them on the break. arsenal are incredibly vulnerable when they have to transition from offence to defence.

Fintan

Fair enough, perhaps I just missed it because I didn't see any public 'X bid for Matic' stories in the press. Perhaps that's because, as you and Viva say, he just wanted to return to Chelsea.

When half the world's clamouring for Jonjo Shelvey in a few years and Brendan lures him back to Melwood for a clandestine medical then I'll be having the last laugh.
Jay Spearing will be Liverpool's one, true saviour.

Barzul

he didn't, but he could have. that's how united have beaten arsenal for years. just keep it compact, wait for arsenal to inevitably fuck up, and then hit them on the break. arsenal are incredibly vulnerable when they have to transition from offence to defence.

We're not anymore that's the point though anyone who has seen our games this season will know that, we're way more solid at the back, only Chelsea have conceded fewer goals. Fact is he didn't, in previous seasons, he probably would've.

dc89

Man City manager Manuel Pellegrini: "For Chelsea it was a decisive game, for us it was an important one. We're still within 2pts of Arsenal"

---

He's class.

dc89

This is just depressing...

Dude if you watched the game tonight you saw why we need those players. No legs in midfield.
Yeh it's unfortunate that Fernandinho is injured and JM7 is coming back from injury. But Garcia isn't going to cut it in a game like that.

So 03/02/2014 The day that City forfeited the leage.
Right?

No :lol were second still. Two points from the top. I think people forget how we actually won the league.

Lots of games to go.

cremino

So what's up with the decision to play Demichelis in CM and then...not do anything to change it.

Awful awful decision and even worse that nothing was done about it.

Chelsea were amazing but Pellegrini gave up the CM and just took it.

Seems Demichelis is Pellegrini's fetish..

Ingeniero

No :lol were second still. Two points from the top. I think people forget how we actually won the league.

Lots of games to go.

I know mate, I was just being sarcastic because some people said that Arsenal forfeit the league with the draw vs Southampton, and now we are back at the top.
And we will win the league, believe.

dc89

Oh look it's Parasite Shreeves. Fuck off Geoff, you're not gonna get anything out of Pellegrini that would make you cream.

dc89

I know mate, I was just being sarcastic because some people said that Arsenal forfeit the league with the draw vs Southampton, and now we are back at the top.
And we will win the league, believe.

If we don't, yeah you can :lol
You're in a good place to do it now.

---

Fernandinho out for a "couple of weeks" with a FUCKING MUSCLE INJURY.
I'm pig fucking sick of them.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
There was just a slight sneer as Pellegrini talked about the 'luck' Mourinho was complaining about. I really think he hates him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom