• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Wouldn't it be amusing if when Wenger dies Arsenal go for Klopp but he disagrees on the way they move forward so he becomes Moyes' assistant coach?

I really hope someone leaks what happened with Joe Kinnear. He made no signings. He got on everyone's fucking nerves. I kind of want to hear all my opinions on him to be vindicated in a big mess of fallout evincing that he was such a useless, nasty cunt that even Mike Ashley could no longer stomach him.

BflDqPOCQAA-QRx.jpg

Most pointless DoF ever:

"Judge me on my signings," declared Kinnear eight months ago. Late on Monday night he resigned with just two loan deals – for Loïc Rémy last summer and Luuk de Jong last month – completed on his watch. Or sort of on his watch. The 67-year-old former Wimbledon and Newcastle manager did not actually meet Rémy until after the striker had joined from QPR.

I can't

Indeed Kinnear did not seem to do a great deal. Although Newcastle built him a lavish office he was rarely seen at the club and, despite much talk of the former Tottenham full-back undertaking scouting missions he tended to remain in north London, making the occasional trip to France, Belgium or Tyneside.

I can't

When he went to watch a game at Birmingham, he was reported to praise the left-sided performance of Shane Ferguson. It was then pointed out to Kinnear that Ferguson was a Newcastle player on loan with Lee Clark's side. That story has not been denied.

I can't

During a cringe inducing on-air chat he mispronounced the names of several players – Cabaye was called Yohan Kebab – and claimed credit for signing the goalkeeper Tim Krul, who had been recruited by Graeme Souness.

I can't

Kinnear also called Derek Llambias, Newcastle's former managing director and a key Pardew ally, Derek "Lambezee". Moreover he claimed to be "more intelligent" than Newcastle fans and said he regarded criticism as "water off a duck's arse." Llambias resigned with immediate effect, leaving the always vulnerable Pardew to cut an isolated figure heavily tipped for the sack and seemingly on borrowed time.

I can't

Wes

venison crêpe
On the plus side for Newcastle fans, if they're 8th after having Kinnear at the helm things can only get better?

Kyoufu

On the plus side for Newcastle fans, if they're 8th after having Kinnear at the helm things can only get better?

Not really. The #1 problem is and will always be Mike Ashley. As a football club owner, that man does not have any ambition at all.

Feorax

True, but we've not seen much of Newcastle post-kebab, and what we have seen isn't exactly promising. JK's last act...

Still, Remy on loan was a pretty good move.

Wes

venison crêpe
How many teams are there who are currently happy with their owner/upper level management?

Outside of City and Chelsea who just have all the money in the world, I can't think of one clear team.

I wonder if this is the case around most of Europe too.

tri_willy

How many teams are there who are currently happy with their owner/upper level management?

Outside of City and Chelsea who just have all the money in the world, I can't think of one clear team.

pretty sure barca fans are happy :p

Elchele

Bayern

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
whats up guys?

odd is dead

and Wes is trying to sweep his corpse under the rug like nothing happened

WE CAN SEE IT

I'm EXTREMELY happy with Agnelli and Marotta <3 Marry, in particular, won me over this season.

but we're still stingy as fuck, we could (and should) do a lot better in the mercato.

Hixx

I was pretty close to losing faith in Short this season.

But getting Gus, fucking the police off and taking the piss out of Stoke and Hull on deadline day has made me love him again.

I am happy with Juve. Andre Agnelli is doing a great job and has restored pride to the club. I sometimes feel that there are a bit too many people involved in transfer strategy and it could be streamlined. At least it is not as bad as Inter who seem to have dozens of different people who handle transfers.

Arsenal. Well Wenger hasn't got a clue what he is doing in the transfer market and has admitted that it is too much for him, but won't ever work unless he has complete control. Ivan the Terrible is doing what he is meant to and that is increasing revenue. I don't really like him and wish we had more football people around the club. When you look at our hierarchy the only person who really knows football is Wenger. It is why I like that Nedved is a director of Juve, someone who has a tradition at the club and whose advice would clearly be welcomed to offer a different perspective on certain matters.

As for the actual owners. John Elkann will never throw money on crazy signings like his grandfather did, but he knows the traditions of the club and will always ensure they are competitive and in a good place.
Although I would love it if Lapo was running it. He is such a cool guy.

Silent Stan is a tricky one. He hasn't taken a penny out of Arsenal, but he hasn't put a penny in. He runs it as a business and not as a crazy fan and while I would prefer crazy money thrown at star players I understand that he has continued to ensure that we are FFP compliant. Which as long as UEFA are serious about I can't say I am annoyed about it. I would prefer him to appoint some footballing men to the board who can help him, because I don't think it is right giving Wenger
of course this is speculation
complete control over his successor.

Wes

venison crêpe

Well the teams winning emphatically or teams achieving above earlier predictions are clearly happy with everything.

In my case, I'm indifferent to Lerner. He was great initially, but he's not spending as much as he did. He got burnt by trusting O'Neill too much and now is hardly releasing any cash. A lot of fans on message boards want him to go as a result and want to be taken over by some tycoon somewhere. I think it's a case of better the devil you know. The next guy could end up worse than him.

On that note there has been a lot of rumours going around that he'll sell in the summer anyway. That's why the wage bill has been cut as much as it has to make it as an attractive prospect as possible. Not that it was sustainable beforehand anyway.

Elchele

Well the teams winning emphatically or teams achieving above earlier predictions are clearly happy with everything.

Not exactly because of it, I'm happy with the management because we have people who know about football and they truly care about the club as part of them. Specially having Sammer is great, Rummenigge too. The management is great, we sign the players we want without having to pay stupid amounts of money and we don't sell our players. We are also the only team in top 5 making a profit

We could won the treble and then go down like Inter if the management was shit and only had achieve it while getting in massive debt.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I am happy with Juve. Andre Agnelli is doing a great job and has restored pride to the club. I sometimes feel that there are a bit too many people involved in transfer strategy and it could be streamlined. At least it is not as bad as Inter who seem to have dozens of different people who handle transfers.

Marry's right-hand man Fabio Paratici is fucking brilliant though! He got us Berardi!

and I'm sure Nedved had a massive hand in Pogba's deal.

Mastadon

Banned
ESPN said:
Bologna have announced that four of their executives have been suspended over a transfer fiasco that saw new signing Ibson left stranded at the airport for hours after the club completely forgot to send out a delegation to pick him up.

Having had his Corinthians contract pulped by mutual consent last week, Ibson signed with Bologna on Monday and immediately flew into Rome to join up with his new teammates.

However, the Serie A side failed to dispatch their welcome committee, leaving the Brazilian midfielder to fend for himself at the airport for several hours until the Serie A side realised their mistake.

According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Bologna chairman Albano Guaraldi has since announced that four members of his staff: technical partner Adriano Polenta, general secretary Luca Befani, communication manager Carlo Caliceti and marketing team member Andrea Battacchi, have all been suspended pending an internal investigation into the spectacular cock-up.

The best bit? The incident reportedly occurred on the eve of a board meeting at which Bologna's directors were planning to discuss the club's performance in the winter transfer window.

How did that one go, chaps?

Smooth.

Marry's right hand man Fabio Paratici is fucking brilliant though! He got us Berardi!

That was a good deal. But like you said we should be doing better in the mercato. I just wonder if there is one clear voice or if it is different guys tugging. The fact that the club felt the need to get Osvaldo while being willing to ship off Vucinic left me puzzled. The club were not willing to bid the extra few million needed for RVP and again were front runners for Higuain and then went with the older Tevez.

To me it looks like Agnelli, Conte, Paratici and Marotta are the transfer squad. As long as they are gelling then it is ok.

At least we are not Inter, I see Branca hasn't got long left. HAHA

edit: I was going to mention Nedved, but I never know how much say he really has except for looking beautiful with Andrea

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
That was a good deal. But like you said we should be doing better in the mercato. I just wonder if there is one clear voice or if it is different guys tugging. The fact that the club felt the need to get Osvaldo while being willing to ship off Vucinic left me puzzled. The club were not willing to bid the extra few million needed for RVP and again were front runners for Higuain and then went with the older Tevez.

To me it looks like Agnelli, Conte, Paratici and Marotta are the transfer squad. As long as they are gelling then it is ok.

At least we are not Inter, I see Branca hasn't got long left. HAHA

edit: I was going to mention Nedved, but I never know how much say he really has except for looking beautiful with Andrea

And I'm glad we did! Higuain is not worth half the money they paid for him. Or at least not to our team. Tevez for 9-15 million is up there with deals of the season!

Yeah, I don't know why we went for Khal Drogo, but it was a free loan, so there's no loss there. He's the only one capable of being a proper vice-Llorente too, so let's see..

And I'm glad we did! Higuain is not worth half the money they paid for him. Or at least not to our team. Tevez for 9-15 million is up there with deals of the season!

Yeah, I don't know why we went for Khal Drogo but it was a free loan so there's no loss there. He's the only one capable of being a proper vice-Llorente too, so let's see..

What do you think the needs are in the summer? True wingers???

I'm pretty satisifed with FSG, although it'd be nice if they made more funds available so we can pay the money necessary to give our transfers the final push they need. Also, we could do with shifting Ayre into a pure commercial director role, and getting someone else in to handle negotiations

From me, they still have a huge amount of goodwill left over for taking us over from H+G and giving us a lot of stability

They've got the club as a whole functioning as a well-oiled machine, which bodes well for the medium term, and there's never been any question of them putting pressure on Rodgers even when we were dropping way too many points in the first half of last season.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
What do you think the needs are in the summer? True wingers???

Yes! And I don't mean Nani. :p

We should go for either Cerci or Cuadrado (no chance). Kick Mirko, Quag and Gio out, bring back Berardi and buy Osvaldo.

So we're looking at: Tevez, Llorente, Berardi, Cerci and Osvaldo. Balanced, and realistic!

Isla better fuck off too.

Yes! And I don't mean Nani. :p

We should go for either Cerci or Cuadrado (no chance). Kick Mirko, Quag and Gio out, bring back Berardi and buy Osvaldo.

So we're looking at: Tevez, Llorente, Berardi, Cerci and Osvaldo. Balanced, and realistic!

Isla better fuck off too.

Yes you do. You mean Nani.

The International Champions Cup thing presented today the next edition of the tournament: this year the teams will be Milan, Inter, Roma, Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Olympiacos. Matches will be played all around the US, starting 26th July, the final will be two weeks later.

Fergie

Banned
XenGLCx.jpg

:lol

I just want to see a lineup of Adnan, Mata, RVP and Rooney. Carrick and Fellaini.
Just once, whatever happens. Start Buttner as well.

They should have done one that added United and Spurs too
but not Everton plz
United would be on 4 points. Chelsea Draw, Arsenal Win.

bjaelke

They should have done one that added United and Spurs too
but not Everton plz
Saw one on twitter last night but can't find it now. This list shows points/game vs top 7:

Man City - 2.25
Chelsea - 1.89
Liverpool - 1.43
Arsenal - 1.33
Everton - 1.29
Spurs - 0.75
Man Utd - 0.63

Got £58 for FIFA, BF4 and a PSMove controller. Accidentally nearly preordered Infamous for £55 because they didn't tell me the price :p

Fuck FIFA, fuck it right up it's shitty arse

Dark Souls PS3 graphics are much better than I remember. Obviously not the best thing about the game, but looks good to me, even aside from the wonderful art style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom