• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Moc

Banned
Robben running full pelt in one direction and landing on one leg while Schez running out full pelt as well impacting his one standing leg, and he's meant to stay on his feet. Incredible.

Even if he could have, I'm lost as to why he should. It was possibly enough contact to affect him getting to the ball in time for the shot. Why take the risk?

Barzul

Bayern deserved to win that game and the penalty and red was justified. Don't know how anyone can argue differently. Just need to move on.

fuenf

I'm proper petrified of what will happen if we're in the CL next year. Not much European experience in the team, or staff.

why? at worst it'll be a learning experience. Just look at Dortmund they finished last in their group in 11/12 and reached the final in 12/13 without really upgrading the team ( Reus / (Dortmund's) Kagawa is basically a wash).

Carbonox

robben should have been sent off for running in chesney and diving

terrible dive

jesus

ref was paid off

gsgun4udt.gif

K1LLER7

I know exactly why.

Nobody on the pitch that'd be able to tell Ozil otherwise. If Podolski was on he might have been the only one. Merte being captian and trying to pull rank doesn't work cause he wouldn't be taking the PK, he'd be picking another guy.

Wilshere probably should have stepped up. Or Cazorla.
Think Arsene should have made the decision before hand. He doesn't like Ozil's pen style so surely he chooses somebody else.

Ozil really doesn't look happy.

dc89

This red card/penalty thing is BS.

Robben has been denied a goalscoring opportunity, he gets a penalty. Why should Chesney not be punished for yet more terrible decision making?

Why should Demichellis not get sent off for taking down Messi yesterday?

When we played United last season under RDM, why should Branna not have been sent off for taking down Ashley Young?

The player has to be punished. If Chesney, and Demichellis are allowed to get away with it, and stay on the pitch then they will do it again.

Imagine if that was a Bayern penalty, no red for Chesney, he saves it. 10 minutes later, Robben bombs in again, Chesney thinks to himself, I can get away with this. He does the same thing again, because he knows he won't be sent off, or maybe he does get sent off. Thats incredibly unfair on Bayern too.

Why should he be allowed to make that error twice? He shouldnt, he should get sent off, he should miss 3 matches and he should lump it because no-one put a gun to his head and told him to go and take Robben out.

You cannot give professional footballers the chance to be repeat offenders on this sort of thing. Imagine how many players would get a JT knee up the backside like Sanchez or whoever it was did at the Nou Camp in 2012. He thought he would get away with it, he didn't, he got (rightly) sent off and it cost him the chance to play in the CL final.

Diving is no different. Players get away with it because the repercussions are that players get a bit of stick. Doesn't matter to WBA though that Rami earnt that penalty against them that he gets some stick. Steve Clarke is out of a job, imagine where he would be if the ref hadnt given it. Everyones only kicking off because its against the English teams. If Alaba or Dante had been sent off for a similar thing, no-one would be complaining. If Arsenal had gone to score 2 goals, it would be "clinical Arsenal knock down the defending champions" not "Bayern had a player sent off and Arsenal did what they should have done" (Nothing against Arsenal specially)

Banning players for their stupid decisions is the only way to get them to tow the line and keep them in order. Unfortunately even then it doesn't always work.

I'm not getting into this again. I'm with Jamie Carragher.

Kikarian

Everyone thought Bayern would spank us at the allianz last season. Did they? No.

We will fight. We will tackle. We will track. We will pass. We will score. WE WILL WIN!

CMMMOOONNN YOUUUU FUUUCCKKKIIINNNG GOOOOOOONNNEEEERRRSSSSS!!!!!!
DEAD

Feorax

Penalty miss aside, Ozil is far from a bad player. He has some real quality and has shown it several times this season.

He is, however, the last player I'd want in an XI when chasing a game. His head seems to be the first to go when the team falls behind. Maybe this is where the idea of him going missing in the big games comes from.

We have some real average players in our team right now, but I'd attribute a lot of our recent successes to the fact that going behind means everyone steps up a gear and no-one lets their head drop, even the likes of Cissokho. Wilshire does this for Arsenal very well, as does Mertesacker, but Ozil becomes a passenger, and it's not good enough for a team like Arsenal.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Arsenal plays City at home but Chelsea away. Chelsea has yet to lose at home and I don't see Arsenal beating City even at home.

Arsenal has no shot at the title, it's the way I see it. If you want to believe they do so you can tell yourself that the league is super competitive then go ahead.

To me the EPL is between City and Chelsea and I'll be shocked if neither wins it.

Slizz

Think Arsene should have made the decision before hand. He doesn't like Ozil's pen style so surely he chooses somebody else.

Ozil really doesn't look happy.

Probably had a 'you earn it you take it' mantra for pens and never expected Ozil to be in such a position. XD

Robben has been denied a goalscoring opportunity, he gets a penalty. Why should Chesney not be punished for yet more terrible decision making?

When we played United last season under RDM, why should Branna not have been sent off for taking down Ashley Young?

The player has to be punished. If Chesney, and Demichellis are allowed to get away with it, and stay on the pitch then they will do it again.

Imagine if that was a Bayern penalty, no red for Chesney, he saves it. 10 minutes later, Robben bombs in again, Chesney thinks to himself, I can get away with this. He does the same thing again, because he knows he won't be sent off, or maybe he does get sent off. Thats incredibly unfair on Bayern too.

Why should he be allowed to make that error twice? He shouldnt, he should get sent off, he should miss 3 matches and he should lump it because no-one put a gun to his head and told him to go and take Robben out.

You cannot give professional footballers the chance to be repeat offenders on this sort of thing. Imagine how many players would get a JT knee up the backside like Sanchez or whoever it was did at the Nou Camp in 2012. He thought he would get away with it, he didn't, he got (rightly) sent off and it cost him the chance to play in the CL final.

Diving is no different. Players get away with it because the repercussions are that players get a bit of stick. Doesn't matter to WBA though that Rami earnt that penalty against them that he gets some stick. Steve Clarke is out of a job, imagine where he would be if the ref hadnt given it. Everyones only kicking off because its against the English teams. If Alaba or Dante had been sent off for a similar thing, no-one would be complaining. If Arsenal had gone to score 2 goals, it would be "clinical Arsenal knock down the defending champions" not "Bayern had a player sent off and Arsenal did what they should have done" (Nothing against Arsenal specially)

Banning players for their stupid decisions is the only way to get them to tow the line and keep them in order. Unfortunately even then it doesn't always work.

Bang on.

Moobabe

rather have Dortmund/Bayern or RM/Barcelona than 5 teams that can only park the bus against actually good sides.

Didn't City beat Bayern in the group stages? And Arsenal win IN Munich last season? Let's not pretend that the 5 top teams in the EPL park the bus.

Walshy

That's the spirit :D

Realistically though, 3rd in the group stage would be significant progress.
Rory Smith was saying on The Anfield Wrap's deadline day special program back in January that FSG are going to "spend huge" if we make the champions league this year.

It helps that we are a year ahead in our plan anyway, Rodgers said he didn't expect a challenge for the top four until his third season anyway.

arkon

After reading all your posts it seems liverpool or real madrid should be the team of my heart, im a sucker for history and good uniforms and it seems they both got it. Ill watch a few more of their games before I make my choice. The nfl team I support has been shit for years on years and on the other hand has won multiple titles, So I can take winning a lot or losing a lot (even though this might mean you would be dropped from the league?). I just cant take being mediocre, that shit annoys me.

Maybe whoever wins by the largest margin in their next match, ill follow :p

If you pick Madrid you're clearly a glory hunter.

FootballFan

Good post. Much accuracy.

King_Moc

Banned
That's the spirit :D

Realistically though, 3rd in the group stage would be significant progress.

If we were seeded, we'd be 1st or second no problem.However, we could get in a group with 2 tough teams and be (almost) fucked. We do at least have a manager that appears to be somewhat tactically aware though, which can be an advantage, as 2005 proved.

If we were seeded, we'd be 1st or second no problem.However, we could get in a group with 2 tough teams and be (almost) fucked. We do at least have a manager that appears to be somewhat tactically aware though, which can be an advantage, as 2005 proved.

You're 30th at the moment.

Definitely wouldn't be a pot 1 or pot 2 seed.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I stand by my opinion that we didn't have a coach. Tito was away from the team for over 2 months once his cancer came back and needed treatment. Roura (second coach at the time) wasn't a coach and it's impossible to manage a team while you are in a hospital bed. Roura, used the same team over and over because he had fuck-all idea of how to rotate the squad. The team was burned physically. I'm not going to say this was why Bayern beat us, they were better but a more physically fit Barça would've gone down with a bigger fight it wouldn't have ended 7-0 for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom