• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness

Neo Member
Great
Boateng

696.gif

More seriously, Enzo Zidane chose France. Going to play for U19.

Elchele

Has Schweinsteiger done enough in the last few years to still be considered world class? Honest question.

He's considered world class for what he has done in the last few years. The only matches we lost last season were the ones when he wasn't playing.

Jack cw

Has Schweinsteiger done enough in the last few years to still be considered world class? Honest question.

Actually he did. He was already great in 2009/10 when he basically made the game for Bayern against United and Lyon or Bremen in the cup final. 2012/13 were his prime though. He was the heart of Bayerns game under Heynckes and I remember him shutting down Özil, Xavi, Wilshere, Mata, Vidal, Götze etc. in the big games and his passes and headers were essential. But he couldnt have reached such a level without Javi Martinez who backed him in defence. Schweini is world class right now. I'd say that Bayern has two (him and Kroos) out of the top five midfielders in the world.

Elchele

Actually he did. He was already great in 2009/10 when he basically made the game for Bayern against United and Lyon or Bremen in the cup final. 2012/13 were his prime though. He was the heart of Bayerns game under Heynckes and I remember him shutting down Özil, Xavi, Wilshere, Mata, Vidal, Götze etc. in the big games and his passes and headers were essential. But he couldnt have reached such a level without Javi Martinez who backed him in defence. Schweini is world class right now. I'd say that Bayern has two (him and Kroos) out of the top five midfielders in the world.

I would think Lahm is also in top5 midfielders already :p

Jack cw

Let's see how Pep would do with Anderson and Cleverley as his midfielders.
I cant even imagine what Moyes would have done with Bayern. Contento would be GOAT right now.
he just likes to complicate everything, I don't like that. And Pep only put Lahm in midfield, is not like Pep discovered or 'made' Lahm the player he is today.
Sad, that it was Klinsmann.
Well, actually Hitzfeld.

Jack cw

so a move to RM is out of question

I think that RM is out of the question for any top coach at the moment. They wrecked nearly every formidable manager in the last 10 years and I think that besides Moyes nobody would kneel down to Perez.

pulga

Banned
I think that RM is out of the question for any top coach at the moment. They wrecked nearly every formidable manager in the last 10 years and I think that besides Moyes nobody would kneel down to Perez.

uhhh why are you talking as if Carlo is going anywhere? Man's gone 25 straight games without losing.

SocialRMadrid: Ancelotti (63 points) has achieved more points after 25 games than Mourinho (61 pts after 25 games) in his first year. (Mundo)

Jack cw

uhhh why are you talking as if Carlo is going anywhere? Man's gone 25 straight games without losing.

SocialRMadrid: Ancelotti (63 points) has achieved more points after 25 games than Mourinho (61 pts after 25 games) in his first year. (Mundo)

Ancelotti is doing fine, just like Mou did, just like many others did before him in their first year. But the problem I see with RM is expectation and continuity. RM has a core team of players for several years now, but couldnt really manage to fully develop a philosophy or stretegy because the coach and his staff had to go every 2 years and then of course the omnipresent la decima obsession coupled with the success of rival Barca. Thats what I see from outside of La Liga. Being coach at RM when the results arent as expected is rough and there are clubs were a coach could work more safe and shape his vision with the squad.

Wilbur

Banned
True Detective really good again this week. Was filling in blanks, but a necessary thing to do. And there was a few scenes - the interrogation one especially - where McConaughey was mesmerising.

Bz1edDi.gif

pls
dat Kroos

This is brilliant, I legitimately giggled at it like I did 100 times during Barca 5-0 Madrid

Salvadora

True Detective really good again this week. Was filling in blanks, but a necessary thing to do. And there was a few scenes - the interrogation one especially - where McConaughey was mesmerising.
Felt like it was the weakest in the series so far, but still good.

Was really good in the hnng factor though.

subtles

Thought that myself, if we have we've done it quietly.

Your avatar is brilliant, by the way.

Thanks. Your avatar is the one I always wish I had.
3AQmK.gif

Hopefully we'll hear more on that front soon.

There's some serious work going on behind the scenes. I've read some interesting thoughts on twitter on our recent goal scoring run.

It's only natural to look at other options when your competitors out-muscle you financially. How can Liverpool overcome the teams above? What has Dr Ian Graham discovered?

Rodgers predicted our natural progression would lead to 70ish goals and was intent on adding 20 more last summer (interview). Our goal this season was getting into the CL, yet Rodgers wanted over 90 goals? There's been a natural progression in the total number of goals scored to top the PL if one compares previous years, but 93 goals was what City totaled when they won the league.

Is the plan to score more goals than any other team? It would explain Rodgers' fixation on attackers in January and the sudden change from the possession oriented approach. We've scored the most goals in the PL this season with Arsenal, who have scored the third most, 18 goals behind us. We seem to attack relentlessly almost to a fault. We're comical at the back. We keep attacking rather than see out/control a game. Have Liverpool gone Kamikaze?

It sounds crazy. It is crazy. But so is Liverpool this season. It's so interesting.

Will Pep do what he did at Barca and make Bayern gradually more boring and one-dimensional as time goes on?

What exactly was so ambitious about Bioshock Infinite? It wasn't particularly long, it didn't do anything new from a gameplay perspective aside from the skyline stuff, the AI is as simplistic as it comes, the 'variety' is limited to very specific places, the story is overcomplicated rather than deep.

I just don't see why it either took 6 years, or what is particularly ambitious about it. The location is the only thing that's really impressive about it imo. I guess the variety in areas and the amount of art that was made for it is ambitious, but not the point that justifies the development time.

Wilbur

Banned
Felt like it was the weakest in the series so far, but still good.

Was really good in the hnng factor though.

I probably preferred it to the first episode just because I know the rhythms of the plot and the characters now.
Rust's conversations with the baby killer, Eli and Tuttle were great, and the Greek guy from the Wire was awesome as the police chief

Wrote up a big post in the OT, more so than here, but it seems to be getting a bit of flak for just confirming things we already knew. Seems a necessary thing to do, no point throwing in twists just to mislead people :lol. Nothing wrong with predictability if it's executed well, as it was here.

bjaelke

Metalist Kharkiv is a mess right now. Banned from Champions League, no wages paid for the past 3 months, the manager just resigned, they appointed Frank Arnesen as sports director last month and their owner - who's friends with Yanukovych - is missing.

Salvadora

I probably preferred it to the first episode just because I know the rhythms of the plot and the characters now.
Rust's conversations with the baby killer, Eli and Tuttle were great, and the Greek guy from the Wire was awesome as the police chief

Wrote up a big post in the OT, more so than here, but it seems to be getting a bit of flak for just confirming things we already knew. Seems a necessary thing to do, no point throwing in twists just to mislead people :lol. Nothing wrong with predictability if it's executed well, as it was here.
I read your post in the OT and thought it was really good.

The complaint you addressed is one that seems to pop up quite a lot in all different types of movies and TV these days.

Elchele

Will Pep do what he did at Barca and make Bayern gradually more boring and one-dimensional as time goes on?

so far it seems like it is going to the other way around, the first half of the season (+Arsenal match) were awful and boring. The rest of the second half so far has been very good and fun to watch

The good thing about Bayern is that Pep doesn't call all the shots here. Sammer has a lot of input, and they have weekly meetings to discuss how the Bayern teams are playing with Sammer, Guardiola, Ten Hag and other important figures.

Basically everyone knows their shit about football, so there's some productive criticism going on

Wilbur

Banned
I read your post in the OT and thought it was really good.

The complaint you addressed is one that seems to pop up quite a lot in all different types of movies and TV these days.

The Breaking Bad one was bizarre. So many people saying "oh man so fucking predictable, how boring"

Would it have been better if Walt and the Hulk joined forces and then had anal sex over the end credits?

yes

so far it seems like it is going to the other way around, the first half of the season (+Arsenal match) were awful and boring. The rest of the second half so far has been very good and fun to watch

The good thing about Bayern is that Pep doesn't call all the shots here. Sammer has a lot of input, and they have weekly meetings to discuss how the Bayern teams are playing with Sammer, Guardiola, Ten Hag and other important figures.

Basically everyone knows their shit about football, so there's some productive criticism going on

Good

Watching him turn that Barca team so quickly from the most entertaining team I've seen into TikiTaka&Messi FC was depressing

Suen

Crap I will miss the Parma - Fiore game today, will only be able to follow some live ticker thing (unless I'm lucky with the 3G connection). Serie-A gaf, support them in my absence.

Wilbur

Banned
I still have a feeling that when Pep gets bored at Bayern after his customary 3-4 years, we'll ditch Moyeezus and he'll come to us

Or Arsenal

Or maybe he'll go to Milan

idk but I can see him wanting to manage in all the top leagues

subtles

I wonder if United will go for Van Gaal this summer? He's been instrumental in the careers of many players/coaches. What he did at Bayern was influential to what followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom