• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

People here should watch Terriers. Thats an incredibly underrated/cult classic show. 1 season and done, bittersweet ending but appropriate.

FX did probably the worst marketing of all time for it, but people still remember it.

denzel_intro.jpg

I always bring up Terriers in best shows or canceled too early lists. It's fucking perfect.

Slizz

I've had an idea for a movie for over 6 years. To this day I still harp back to it. Bill Murray is basically my only choice for the lead role.

It's a sports comedy.

Messi confuses me. He says he has no desire to watch the Godfather or anything like that but he loves Boardwalk Empire.

Messi. Pls. I love Boardwalk but Godfather is considerably better.

Great point.

Messi pls

Go away from your rom com fandom and explore the wonderful catalog of movies out in the world.

Wilbur

Banned
Miguel Delaney - http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/12650?cc=5739

The first problem with replacing Sir Alex Ferguson was always going to be, above all else, presence. It was precisely because the legendary Scot was in charge for a barely imaginable 26 years that the choice for Manchester United should have boiled down to two men: Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola.

They were the only two managers who had both the utter self-assurance and extreme success to handle the inevitable fallout from such a seismic event as Ferguson retiring. It remains remarkable that, in a summer when United were "fortunate" enough that the 72-year-old departed when both of those coaches were changing jobs, they ended up with neither.

More important than anything, they were also the only two with sufficient cult of personality to make the entire narrative about them rather than just replacing the 72-year-old.

David Moyes, however, has diverted the story in an altogether different direction. It is no longer about succeeding Ferguson but saving United.

That also means that the job specification itself has changed. It is not as daunting. Were United to actually sack Moyes, it would no longer be about replacing a legend but rather an unfortunate figure who lost his way.

The club would not need someone as close in quality as possible to Ferguson, just someone better or more modern than Moyes. The current reality is this: Any more modern coach would play better football, while results can't get worse.

That, of course, means a somewhat wider potential pool of replacements. Given how dismal the current situation is, it's difficult not to think each of these prospective candidates would effect a positive change.

Juergen Klopp

If he doesn't yet have the success of Mourinho or Guardiola, he certainly has the force of personality. Quite simply, Klopp is in the next tier down from those two as a manager but the likeliest of everyone else to join them. There is just something so exciting about the German.

Even aside from his whole approach, style of play and the sheer charisma, Klopp sends a ripple through the game. It might be an obvious example, but you only have to listen to the way a figure such as Zlatan Ibrahimovic talks about him. You can imagine a similar effect on United.

The Borussia Dortmund coach would just breathe life into Old Trafford again and completely change the dynamic. Beyond those kinds of intangibles, too, there is the way he is trying to push boundaries in the game: Klopp practises truly modern football.

Of course, the 46-year-old has said he does not plan to leave Dortmund until 2018 but that would also be a statement that United simply must test to the fullest. In short, since they didn't get Mourinho or Guardiola, this is the man the English champions should be striving for. It would be a new club, and a proper new era.

Louis van Gaal

The Dutch coach is almost certain at this point to go to Tottenham Hotspur, but it his own sense of certainty that should cause United to hijack that.

Van Gaal may not necessarily be the longest-term option and he may bring a briskness of his own, but that may be precisely what the English champions require at this juncture: Someone to just steady things, to restore the right kind of results and to instil a cast-iron resilience so the club can build again from a higher platform.

Van Gaal has always excelled in all of those areas. Furthermore, for all the notorious stories about how difficult he is, trophies have come rather easy to him too.

This is a man who has won a Champions League with Ajax, guided Bayern Munich to the final, won two leagues with Barcelona and then one -- most remarkably -- with AZ.

That is success across two decades, and from a broad range of challenges. In that, it is almost reminiscent of Ferguson. Van Gaal would certainly restore competitiveness.

Fabio Capello

The former England manager could represent a similar sort of choice to Van Gaal. If he is not exactly going to build a lasting dynasty, his sense of discipline would bring United closer to their natural level, and put the club back on track.

Capello is one of those managers who carries certain guarantees with regard to performance, and is not the type to be cowed by reputation or circumstance. Even if his own reputation in England isn't exactly high after his time with the national team, it should barely need to be pointed out that was basically the only "failure" of his career.

Otherwise, Capello has enjoyed success at every side he has been with: Milan, Real Madrid in two spells, Juventus and now Russia. That would indicate the problem was with England, not Capello, and that the Italian is still the kind of serious man to solve United's most immediate issues.

Antonio Conte

One of those upwardly mobile coaches in the tier behind Klopp. It could perhaps even be said Conte is where the German was around 2011, blazing through the domestic game but still just on the cusp of a proper statement on the continent.

Even if he still has some way to go in that regard, though, the Italian's winning record is significantly further along than Moyes'. His imaginative approach to tactics would also rid United of this dismally predictable rigidity.

They would be an engaging team to watch again, and there would be a sense of something modern about them again. The same would apply to a coach like Frank de Boer. Conte, essentially, would bring a retrograde team right into the realities of 2014.

Diego Simeone

Another manager who simply emanates an aura of abrasive control, and that is precisely what United need. Put it like this, while someone such as Manuel Pellegrini is clearly an excellent coach, he is also one who really best suits specific scenarios -- the style of creative player at Manchester City, for example.

Simeone, by contrast, is the sort of bullish personality you can imagine going into pretty much any situation but having an identical effect: instilling a team with his combativeness, as well as his canniness.

United have been something of a laughing stock this season. That would simply cease under Simeone. What's more, it's not like it ends there with him. He is taking Atletico Madrid to heights that their recent history and resources should not allow. That indicates something much deeper in him, and the potential to go even further.

Wilbur

Banned
I've had an idea for a movie for over 6 years. To this day I still harp back to it. Bill Murray is basically my only choice for the lead role.

It's a sports comedy.

Write it baby. That's the only way you'll ever get it done <3333 plus Bill would probably still be up for it.

I have a few ideas for movies that I have written down somewhere, that I should really one day get to writing and then trying to fucking sell.

Slizz

Write it baby. That's the only way you'll ever get it done <3333 plus Bill would probably still be up for it.

I have a few ideas for movies that I have written down somewhere, that I should really one day get to writing and then trying to fucking sell.

I feel like I'd need help. I'm a weak writer as is, but I essentially have the beginning middle and end of the flick. I just need those pro-writers to fill in jokes in between.

Will Ferrell could probably play the role as well, but he's already done a bunch of sports comedies. Bill Murray needs to be the guy.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm not scared of United anymore, I haven't been properly scared of them for years. The turning point was probably when we beat you at Wembley in the semi final of the FA Cup, I think that was a personal milestone in my fear ebbing away.

But if you got Kloppo. I'd begin to worry again, really worry.

http://calmdowntom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Klobb.png[/IG][/QUOTE]

Weren't you scared when we signed RVP and beat you at the Etihad and then won the title by eleven points?

[quote="Slizz, post: 102657761"]I feel like I'd need help. I'm a weak writer as is, but I essentially have the beginning middle and end of the flick. I just need those pro-writers to fill in jokes in between.

Will Ferrell could probably play the role as well, but he's already done a bunch of sports comedies. Bill Murray needs to be the guy.[/QUOTE]

LETS DO IT TOGETHER

unless its about baseball or american football and then im lost

Clegg

Not too sure about us bringing in a Moyes successor already. We definitely need one, but this club sometimes makes baffling decisions. I don't like Gary Neville's constant preaching for Moyes to be given more time either. He's not involved with the club but I can see his mindset being echoed by certain board members.

Delaney is right about one thing though. If a new manager comes in he'll be judged against Moyes' time here. And that's infinitely more comforting for a potential manager than being the direct successor of Ferguson.

Slizz

Weren't you scared when we signed RVP and beat you at the Etihad and then won the title by eleven points?

LETS DO IT TOGETHER

unless its about baseball or american football and then im lost

Basketball, character based in NY. You'd need to know about a few nuances of NY and bball there to really grasp the concept. However the plot translates universally.

Wilbur

Banned
Not too sure about us bringing in a Moyes successor already. We definitely need one, but this club sometimes makes baffling decisions. I don't like Gary Neville's constant preaching for Moyes to be given more time either. He's not involved with the club but I can see his mindset being echoed by certain board members.

Delaney is right about one thing though. If a new manager comes in he'll be judged against Moyes' time here. And that's infinitely more comforting for a potential manager than being the direct successor of Ferguson.

No point doing it now, it'll have to be before the World Cup at the earliest.

Basketball, character based in NY. You'd need to know about a few nuances of NY and bball there to really grasp the concept. However the plot translates universally.

Basketball... Bill Murray

space-jam-bball-pic.jpg

I'm not scared of United anymore, I haven't been properly scared of them for years. The turning point was probably when we beat you at Wembley in the semi final of the FA Cup, I think that was a personal milestone in my fear ebbing away.

Klobb.png

that's just a rip off of the Skorpion

wedward

Klobb.png

You lost the title to them last year after spending a billion dollars.

Wilbur

Banned
Not really, no. I'm talking about true fear here Wilbz, not just a little bit of nerves before a derby.

Oh. Well I've never been scared of City. Not even now; think it's because I'm still dismissive of them being elevated to a position solely through that money. I'm not scared of Chelsea either, for some reason.

It's Liverpool that scares me. The notion of them finishing above us time and time again and due to just fucking hard work... that terrifies me.

Linius

People here should watch Terriers. Thats an incredibly underrated/cult classic show. 1 season and done, bittersweet ending but appropriate.

FX did probably the worst marketing of all time for it, but people still remember it.

It's on my watchlist for quite some time. Since I love every FX drama I tried so far I'll be watching it at some point. But the fact that it's one season does putt me off a little. Though Freaks & Geeks, Firefly and Awake have already proven to me that early canceled shows can still be a great watch.

Randy Andy, I watched Short Term yesterday. It was pretty good. But now I feel like I've watched enough movie for at least 2 months so going through that list is going to take a long time.
corororporq4.png

That's cool! Then you'll be done by the time the 2014 list is there :p

Clegg

I meant that I don't think we'll sack him this summer even though he really should be. I think it's pretty clear that a lot of the players aren't playing for him. I just don't see how there's a way back for him. Some players are on the decline/crap but that's no excuse for what we've seen this season. And I don't feel comfortable with him dismantling and rebuilding a squad that has won so much. It has to be done, but he's not the man to do it.

Salvadora

Gary Neville, while a great pundit, is clearly clouded by his conflict of interest with the current United management.

Listening to him in the Fulham game was painful.

Being a successor to Ferguson is only daunting if the amount of success he brought heightened fan's expectations to unrealistic levels for the new manager. That didn't happen though. Every fan knew how good Fergie was and only expected the new manager to get top 4 with a clear sign of the football becoming modern.

It wasn't daunting at all. Ferguson gave a speech to stand by the manager, fans expectations weren't high, fan support was high, and the press haven't been critical.

What more would a new manager want?

Slizz

Basketball... Bill Murray

space-jam-bball-pic.jpg

Thats why I'm so skeptical. Maybe Galafinakas can rock it. I'll give you the IMDB plot description.

"A young boy growing up in the boroughs of New York with an overprotective single mom, the boy tried his hardest to make friends and fit in but just couldn't do it until he saw his first basketball game. He right then and there decides that will be his career and tries to acheive that goal. The caveot being that his overprotective mother won't let him leave his stoop(essentially a front porch) unless its to and from school and the closest basketball hoop is 4 stoops down. So the only way to practice is to shoot once at that hoop 4 stoops down and save up for another ball. Eventually he gets so good he consistently makes the super long shot perfectly and the ball returns to him. He gets discovered by a College coach who offers him a scholarship. The coaches strategy was to keep the game as close as possible until the final seconds and then bring him in to make the halfcourt....... BUZZER BEATER"

The name of the movie is Buzzer Beater.

Theres so much room for plot twists and shit like that. My main one is he can only make long range shots from beyond the 3-point line so teams finally catch on and start fouling him forcing him to take free throws which he explodes over the hoop cause he's not used to it. Thats the obstacle, throw a female in, maybe some drugs and you have a masterpiece.

dc89

that's just a rip off of the Skorpion

:loool

You lost the title to them last year after spending a billion dollars.

And we won it the year before? Shit happens. It's not like United will never win things again just because City spent a lot of money.

Oh. Well I've never been scared of City. Not even now; think it's because I'm still dismissive of them being elevated to a position solely through that money. I'm not scared of Chelsea either, for some reason.

It's Liverpool that scares me. The notion of them finishing above us time and time again and due to just fucking hard work... that terrifies me.

Well you haven't been afraid, or had a reason to be afraid for your entire life.

Thats why I'm so skeptical. Maybe Galafinakas can rock it. I'll give you the IMDB plot description.

"A young boy growing up in the boroughs of New York with an overprotective single mom, the boy tried his hardest to make friends and fit in but just couldn't do it until he saw his first basketball game. He right then and there decides that will be his career and tries to acheive that goal. The caveot being that his overprotective mother won't let him leave his stoop(essentially a front porch) unless its to and from school and the closest basketball hoop is 4 stoops down. So the only way to practice is to shoot once at that hoop 4 stoops down and save up for another ball. Eventually he gets so good he consistently makes the super long shot perfectly and the ball returns to him. He gets discovered by a College coach who offers him a scholarship. The coaches strategy was to keep the game as close as possible until the final seconds and then bring him in to make the halfcourt....... BUZZER BEATER"

Theres so much room for plot twists and shit like that. My main one is he can only make long range shots from beyond the 3-point line so teams finally catch on and start fouling him forcing him to take free throws which he explodes over the hoop cause he's not used to it. Thats the obstacle, throw a female in, maybe some drugs and you have a masterpiece.

it2eQWy7P5rz3.gif

Wilbur

Banned

i dont really get it. sorry, im out.

good luck tho

Clegg

Being a successor to Ferguson is only daunting if the amount of success he brought heightened fan's expectations to unrealistic levels for the new manager. That didn't happen though. Every fan knew how good Fergie was and only expected the new manager to get top 4 with a clear sign of the football becoming modern.

It wasn't daunting at all. Ferguson gave a speech to stand by the manager, fans expectations weren't high, fan support was high, and the press haven't been critical.

What more would a new manager want?
There's always going to be pressure if you're United's manager. Rightly or wrongly the fans expect trophies, or at the very least they expect us to compete for them. Right now it's the end of February and we're almost out of every competition after playing crap football all season. It's a daunting task because it's arguably the biggest job in club football. We can say that the fans didn't have high expectations for this season. But nobody could've imagined things to be this bad. If we bring in a new manager, there'll still be pressure on him to succeed, but the bar will be set much lower in the wake of such a relatively disasterous season.

Slizz

i dont really get it. sorry, im out.

good luck tho

Lol, so cordial and pleasant with the dismissal. Like I said you kinda need to A) Know the game of basketball decently and B) Know the nuances of NY then C) have me tell you it in person lol.

Wilbur

Banned
Lol, so cordial and pleasant with the dismissal. Like I said you kinda need to A) Know the game of basketball decently and B) Know the nuances of NY then C) have me tell you it in person lol.

One day I will hear it from your lips and it'll just CLICK

I have an idea for a film that kind of needs to be made NOW-ish. It stars Al Pacino, and Daniel Day-Lewis, and then a few others I haven't really decided on, and they play themselves (and I had this idea like two years before This Is The End so that conceit is now fucked)

And they meet up at the Academy Awards roundtable luncheon where all the nominees talk shop, and it's the Best Actor one. And they're all cunts, and things get out of hand with pretentious DDL bragging about how many awards he has and Al Pacino smacks him over the head with the Oscar he won for Lincoln and kills him, and all the other actors and the camera man are all like "holy SHIT"

And it all takes place in one house over one afternoon, and Pacino kinda realises there's no way out of this and he has to kill all the rest of the nominees, and there would be a scene where the kettle goes like the train in the Godfather and he shoots Will Smith in the head or something

I don't know I didn't come up with an ending yet

Slizz

I have an idea for a film that kind of needs to be made NOW-ish. It stars Al Pacino, and Daniel Day-Lewis, and then a few others I haven't really decided on, and they play themselves (and I had this idea like two years before This Is The End so that conceit is now fucked)

And they meet up at the Academy Awards roundtable luncheon where all the nominees talk shop, and it's the Best Actor one. And they're all cunts, and things get out of hand with pretentious DDL bragging about how many awards he has and Al Pacino smacks him over the head with the Oscar he won for Lincoln and kills him, and all the other actors and the camera man are all like "holy SHIT"

And it all takes place in one house over one afternoon, and Pacino kinda realises there's no way out of this and he has to kill all the rest of the nominees, and there would be a scene where the kettle goes like the train in the Godfather and he shoots Will Smith in the head or something

Oh and when you hear it from my lips you'll need to have smoked a considerable amount of marijuana.

And yea, This is The End fucked your shit up... and JCVD lol

All it needs is Russell Crowe fighting in full gladiator gear and it'll be the greatest movie of all time

Linius

In Her Amy Adams plays a character called Amy. It weirded me out a bit :p

Oh and Amy Adams should take a supporting actress nom. too for the Oscars. Just bump J Law and give Adams two Oscars :O

There's always going to be pressure if you're United's manager. Rightly or wrongly the fans expect trophies, or at the very least they expect us to compete for them. Right now it's the end of February and we're almost out of every competition after playing crap football all season. It's a daunting task because it's arguably the biggest job in club football. We can say that the fans didn't have high expectations for this season. But nobody could've imagined things to be this bad. If we bring in a new manager, there'll still be pressure on him to succeed, but the bar will be set much lower in the wake of such a relatively disasterous season.

The fans would only expect trophies if the manager was Mou, Pep, Klopp, or Conte most likely. Anyone else and they wouldn't have expected that. The reason for that is because everyone and their mothers have been shouting that succeeding Fergie is the biggest job in football.

I don't recall many United fans expecting trophies from Moyes in his first season. Most just thought the manager should compete for the title (not win it), bring a modern approach to football, and grab a top 4 spot no matter what.

Over time there will be pressure, because the manager would have enough time to bring trophies. It's like that for every big club though and it's worse at clubs like Real Madrid, Chelsea, etc... who will sack a manager despite winning trophies the year before.

The only reason why there is so much pressure now is because Moyes has been so incompetent that the fan's lowered expectations have been too high for Moyes. He has made it easier for whoever succeeds him though.

Wilbur

Banned
I also have another idea for a christmas movie where Santa accidentally knocks over the tree and it kills a child so he goes to prison and then on Christmas eve the next year all the reindeers and elves stage a siege of the prison to break him out

Slizz

The fans would only expect trophies if the manager was Mou, Pep, Klopp, or Conte most likely. Anyone else and they wouldn't have expected that. The reason for that is because everyone and their mothers have been shouting that succeeding Fergie is the biggest job in football.

I don't recall many United fans expecting trophies from Moyes in his first season. Most just thought the manager should compete for the title (not win it), bring a modern approach to football, and grab a top 4 spot no matter what.

Over time there will be pressure, because the manager would have enough time to bring trophies. It's like that for every big club though and it's worse at clubs like Real Madrid, Chelsea, etc... who will sack a manager despite winning trophies the year before.

The only reason why there is so much pressure now is because Moyes has been so incompetent that the fan's lowered expectations have been too high for Moyes. He has made it easier for whoever succeeds him though.

I seem to remember us United fans hopeful for the #4 spot and an FA Cup since we haven't had one in so long.

But yeah I agree, Moyes agrees, the pundits agree, hes out of his element even with the 'expectations'

Linius

I also have another idea for a christmas movie where Santa accidentally knocks over the tree and it kills a child so he goes to prison and then on Christmas eve the next year all the reindeers and elves stage a siege of the prison to break him out

Jack Nicholson plays santa?

Wilbur

Banned
I expected top four this year and a decent stab at the League or FA Cup. That was pretty low considering we just won the league. It's all gone to shit.

Jack Nicholson plays santa?

I was thinking Brian Cox. I love Brian Cox. He might be my favourite actor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom