• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarnet87

Give me Klopp or give me death/Moyes.

It's death for us. Moyes apologists want to blame the players only. Next year when we are still playing equally bad football they will blame the glazers for not spending enough, or that we need to give the new players time to gel. In year three they will blame the new players who arrived. we are mid table now and forever.

Clegg

I do worry that we've backed ourselves into a corner on this one. Its clear that we need major squad surgery but Moyes isnt the man to do that. He'd likely get rid of good players because he hasn't a clue how to utilise them properly.

Could we give the job to an older manager who we know won't be around for the long term? I don't think we can. And what if we can't find a younger manager who wants the job? I think Klopp fits the bill but he seems pretty committed to Dortmund.

And then there's the whole Fergie thing. Stubborn man that he is; will probably want to give Moyes time he doesn't deserve.

tumblr_merqcvPpih1qbiykfo1_500.gif

What kind of United hat would he wear?

Jarnet87

I do worry that we've backed ourselves into a corner on this one. Its clear that we need major squad surgery but Moyes isnt the man to do that. He'd likely get rid of good players because he hasn't a clue how to utilise them properly.

Could we give the job to an older manager who we know won't be around for the long term? I don't think we can. And what if we can't find a younger manager who wants the job? I think Klopp fits the bill but he seems pretty committed to Dortmund.

And then there's the whole Fergie thing. Stubborn man that he is; will probably want to give Moyes time he doesn't deserve.

Yeah if we fire Moyes and go with a van Gaal type then we look like morons slighting Mourinho for not sticking around for the long term. Where is the time machine so we can go back and hire the special one.

Express are saying Hummels will snub us if we don't get in the CL. First I've heard of it lol.

Giving Moyes time is the most damaging thing we could do. The bigger the slide the longer it takes to get back up. He could do 5 years worth of damage in two seasons easily.

Clegg

Eh, I'm sure we'll show an interest in Mourinho when he inevitably falls out with Abramovic and is sacked/leaves by mutual consent.

Eh, I'm sure we'll show an interest in Mourinho when he inevitably falls out with Abramovic and is sacked/leaves by mutual consent.

Why would he even want to go to United. A team in ruins, tight as fuck and in a league where he has already won what he wants with another team, not to mention those stories all the United folks on here believes with him really wanting the United job first and then Moyes getting it over him...

Surely that must hurt enough to not want it, he didn't react well to getting snubbed by Barca.
mLjyyKE.png

Just keep on believe in Moyes, he will come good one day.

Clegg

Express are saying Hummels will snub us if we don't get in the CL. First I've heard of it lol.

Giving Moyes time is the most damaging thing we could do. The bigger the slide the longer it takes to get back up. He could do 5 years worth of damage in two seasons easily.
Oh he definitely has to go. I think he's lost the dressing room. The players can say they're behind the manager all they want. It's their performances on the pitch that shows how they truly feel. Looks like they couldn't give a fuck.

I'm worried that the board is so stuck on doing things "the right way" that they won't do the obvious thing and sack him. Money is there to be spent. I just don't want Moyes to be the one doing it.

Meier

Guardiola wasn't an option. Why he keeps getting mentioned is baffling. He had taken the Bayern job before that knowledge was public. Either way, he would have gone to City if he was interested in coaching in Manchester.

Oh he definitely has to go. I think he's lost the dressing room. The players can say they're the behind the manager all they want. It's their performances on the pitch that shows how they truly feel. Looks like they couldn't give a fuck.

Some of the runs back after losing the ball in the match against Olympiacos were truly horrific, just terrible attitudes all around. Who was it that lost the ball for the second goal? I think it was Cleverley who lost it on the right, threw his arms up the air and then walked back slowly as no one bothered to go at the Olympiakos player. Playing badly is one thing, but it really does seem like not a lot on the team actually cares.

Clegg

Why would he even want to go to United. A team in ruins, tight as fuck and in a league where he has already won what he wants with another team, not to mention those stories all the United folks on here believes with him really wanting the United job first and then Moyes getting it over him...

Surely that must hurt enough to not want it, he didn't react well to getting snubbed by Barca.
mLjyyKE.png

Just keep on believe in Moyes, he will come good one day.
I wouldn't be too enamoured with Mourinho in either case. I think he's the best manager in the world but he's a short term fix. I just can't see him ever settling down and not falling out with the club he's managing.

United were right in going for a long term appointment.

subtles

Guardiola wasn't an option. Why he keeps getting mentioned is baffling. He had taken the Bayern job before that knowledge was public. Either way, he would have gone to City if he was interested in coaching in Manchester.

This made me chuckle.

Honestly I have so little faith that even if we did replace Moyes it wouldn't be someone from outside the UK.

I doubt that. There aren't that many candidates that stand out domestically. The reason they picked Moyes was because Fergie vouched for him, he must have believed him to be the best British coach available.

If they give up on Moyes, I'm pretty confident they'll look abroad.

Oh he definitely has to go. I think he's lost the dressing room. The players can say they're behind the manager all they want. It's their performances on the pitch that shows how they truly feel. Looks like they couldn't give a fuck.

That's the Moyes effect. His shit training sessions, mentality, and tactics bring the worst out of the players.

I developed a forumula for it. F - (M)^2 = A

F = Fifa rating
M = months under moyes
A = Arsed

The longer you spend under Moyes, the shittier you become in the eyes of pundits and fans.

We should have seen this coming. Our pre season form was even more abysmal than usual. Only 1 win out of 6 games against Asian teams and the team looked like they were trying, but had no clue how to score.

Slizz

That's the Moyes effect. His shit training sessions and tactics bring the worst out of the players.

I developed a forumula for it. F - (M)^2 = A

F = Fifa rating
M = months under moyes
A = Arsed

The longer you spend under Moyes, the shittier you become in the eyes of pundits and fans.

We should have seen this coming. Our pre season form was even more abysmal than usual. Only 1 win out of 6 games against Asian teams and the team looked like they were trying, but had no clue how to score.

Lingard knew how to score.

Meier

This made me chuckle.
Why? Two of the guys who got him the Barça job are in charge at City. He still has a close relationship with them. Beyond that, as a coach, United truly offers nothing over City at this point in time.

Some of the transfer rumors around City lately are hilarious. Claudio Yacob? Cheik Tiote? Lmao.

Clegg

Not many British managers around who could take over the job anyway. They'd need to have experience at a big club (big as in have won trophies recently) and a track record of playing good football. Rodgers is a no go for obvious reasons. After that there's nobody else.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

too true

Michael Cox

Man Utd problems

United were simply dreadful. Aside from Vidic, frequently called into action because his teammates were failing to stop midfield runners, it’s difficult to think of anything that went right for Moyes’ side.

Without the ball United didn’t press, even when chasing the game, and made a succession of feeble tackles – best epitomised by the way Campbell outwitted Carrick for the second goal. With possession, there were a succession of misplaced passes and poor first touches. Wayne Rooney came deep for the ball but Robin van Persie had little support, and made little attempt to vary his position to cause the centre-backs problems – he complained about his teammates’ positioning after the game.

Rio Ferdinand was probably United’s worst performer, however. He made mistakes both positionally and in possession, and in the final minutes managed to take a dreadful first touch, realise he was vulnerable to the pace of substitute David Fuster (now 32 years old, and no longer as quick as at his peak) so committed a cynical foul near the touchline. It summed up his evening.

Elchele

Not many British managers around who could take over the job anyway. They'd need to have experience at a big club (big as in have won trophies recently) and a track record of playing good football. Rodgers is a no go for obvious reasons. After that there's nobody else.

young coaches are the best option nowdays
Klopp, Guardiola, Tuchel, Markus Weinzierl, Simeone, etc

Surely there must be some british talented coach in lower divisions, someone like Rodgers

Jarnet87

Kagawa barely played on the tour, it all makes sense now. He wasn't really exhausted, Moyes just hated him from before day 1.

Elchele

I think Pep might have fancied taking over a side with the prestige of United.

'prestige' like that means shit.
Manchester United as institution is a mess, both in the football area and in the administrative area.

Man City would be a much more realistic option than Man Utd for sure. Manchester United never was quoted as an option for Pep in the huge number of articles about it. Man City was a very realistic option

Clegg

Manchester United as institution is a mess, both in the football area and in the administrative area.

Man City would be a much more realistic option than Man Utd for sure. Manchester United never was quoted as an option for Pep in the huge number of articles about it. Man City was a very realistic option
Of all the claims you can make, Manchester United being a mess admistratively is not one of them.

Wilbur

Banned

http://www.tribalfootball.com/artic...ich-job-eye-man-utd-move-3762831#.UxEvYWRdVrg

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1488955-pep-guardiola-is-the-munich-job-a-stop-gap-before-united

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/jan/08/where-will-pep-guardiola-go

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...p-guardiola-for-manchester-united-job?cc=5739

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...-Manchester-United-manager-article640535.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ster-United-and-Chelsea-are-put-on-alert.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag.../Pep-Guardiola-wants-Man-Utd-manager-job.html

I haven't even looked at the legitimacy of the articles, but that's not the point. Yes, he was talked about as an option for the United job in many, many papers, just as much so as he was City. You're just talking out your arse as usual.

Pep's job criteria:

1. Work with Soriano and Based Txiki
2. Have a youth team with the word 'Elite' in it despite them being fucking shit
3. As a coach, United truly offers nothing over City at this point in time despite them being one of the richest clubs in the world and having just won the league
4. Blue is better than red
5. Taking on the mantle from great managerial luminaries such as Roberto Mancini

Elchele

I was talking about the articles telling a bit of insights from the Pep to Bayern deal a few months after it happened. Manchester United was never mentioned.

Obviously Manchester United wanted Pep, but by the looks of it Man Utd wasn't even in his consideration. And it is very obvious why

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Eh, United WILL bounce back in a season or two*.

*assuming they sack Moyes before he buys more shit players though :p

Wilbur

Banned
I was talking about the articles telling a bit of insights from the Pep to Bayern deal a few months after it happened. Manchester United was never mentioned.

Because Pep had already decided on Bayern, Fergie had already decided on Moyes and City probably thought they could just buy Guardiola out of any signed contract with Bayern because they're City.

Laboured is spot on here. I don't know whether he'd pick us over City, but it's no fucking foregone conclusion he'd go there over us.

Elchele

Because Pep had already decided on Bayern, Fergie had already decided on Moyes and City probably thought they could just buy Guardiola out of any signed contract with Bayern because they're City.

Laboured is spot on here. I don't know whether he'd pick us over City, but it's no fucking foregone conclusion he'd go there over us.

No, they discussed about the other options he had before signing for Bayern. City was mentioned, plenty

I respect Manchester United as a football club much more than I will ever respect Manchester City. But let's be realistic here.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Didn't he sign with Bayern on Christmas or something? And he was learning German way before that too.

assuming they sack Moyes before he buys more shit players though.

igUmVlebJHZhe.gif

Only way he'll be sacked is if United get blown the fuck out by Liverpool and City. Would you want Juventus to get blown the fuck out by Inter and Torino to get a manager fired?

yes pls

Clegg

aren't they in massive debt? and the owner has no clue about football?
that's bad management compared to Bayern or Barcelona (pre-Rosell)
Manchester United is a very well run footballing club which was loaded with the debt our American owners accrued in buying the bloody thing. They borrowed £700m and then transferred that over to the club asap. The very fact that debt is now down to £300m is because the club is so well run in the first place. United's owners don't appear to have much to do with the running of the club. Ed Woodward looked clueless at first but now he appears to be learning.

Elchele

Didn't he sign with Bayern on Christmas or something? And he was learning German way before that too.

No, he was learning english, then he started learning german after he decided to join Bayern.

Don't remember when the whole thing happened, but the announcement came in decemeber so I guess the deal happened at least a month before that

subtles

Why? Two of the guys who got him the Barça job are in charge at City. He still has a close relationship with them. Beyond that, as a coach, United truly offers nothing over City at this point in time.

Some of the transfer rumors around City lately are hilarious. Claudio Yacob? Cheik Tiote? Lmao.

I wasn't being sarcastic. The part where you try to comfort them by explaining he was never an option and then dig it in with the City comment made me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom