• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT16| ''I tried to push him away with my head.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTWheels

Let me dream.

Will be very interesting if we come third or higher, wonder how much money FSG will make available. We're already cutting it fine with FFP, and the CL entrance money doesn't go that far at this level, especially when FSG might be thinking about using a proportion of it to get the club breaking even to adhere to future FFP investigations

I've heard that FSG can just turn their interest free loan into equity if we get into a situation where we are breaking ffp. The club has done very well in the last year getting our commercial revenue up. For revenue we are something like top 11 in Europe. If you remove ticket sales we drop down to 12th.

Batigol

Banned
Aguero will take a dirty dump on Barca on Wednesday.

Demichelis suspended means Barca won't have 12 men again so City should win

I've heard that FSG can just turn their interest free loan into equity if we get into a situation where we are breaking ffp. The club has done very well in the last year getting our commercial revenue up. For revenue we are something like top 11 in Europe. If you remove ticket sales we drop down to 12th.

Staying in the top 11 despite the form of the last 5 years is remarkable. Literally living off of our history :p

confuziz

Banned
BiYmh7ZIUAAgfaS.jpg

It's getting a little crazy..

Kassu

Banned
This thread slowed up, everyone playing Titanfall?
I almost pre-ordered it but beta didn't work on my computer at all so didn't bother. Doesn't seem like any of my friends have bought it yet either, so maybe I'll just wait for the sales and see if it works better on my computer then.

I'm actually arguing with Finnish video game journalist who reviewed Titanfall. I accused him of just listing features instead of saying his opinions about the game and I'm actually trying to get them to improve their reviews. That probably isn't going to happen though, he basically just called me a troll.

Salvadora

After just barely missing out against Barca, Milan and Bayern in the past 3 years I am convinced this is the year we will make it through.
It's frustrating, isn't it.

I don't object to drawing strong opponents, but we've consistently got the best over the last number of years. Hopefully we get a lesser team in the last 16 next year, like Benfica. It would be good to do away with the "only making up the numbers" and "10 European games a year" labels too.

Wilbur

Banned
It's frustrating, isn't it.

I don't object to drawing strong opponents, but we've consistently got the best over the last number of years. Hopefully we get a lesser team in the last 16 next year, like Benfica. It would be good to do away with the "only making up the numbers" and "10 European games a year" labels too.

Should have topped your group innit

Wilbur

Banned
That Napoli away game haunts me ;_;

All that good work leading up to a shit performance.

Tough group though.

But out of everyone you could have got - Bayern, PSG, Atletico, Barca and Madrid - , all of them are shitty draws. There isn't one there I think I'd rather have than others if I was arsenal. Maybe PSG but still a huge task.

Tough group though.

But out of everyone you could have got - Bayern, PSG, Atletico, Barca and Madrid - , all of them are shitty draws. There isn't one there I think I'd rather have than others if I was arsenal. Maybe PSG but still a huge task.
Wut, Atletico is by far the worst team in that list. I'd say Arsenal are slight favorites in that case.

L1NETT

So Titanfall sounds and looks like a hyper addictive mod for CoD but suffers from repetitive gametypes and maps.

Rad if you are into that. Not much of a Cod guy since Mw2. Still waiting on dat Halo 2 Anni (pls MS)

Salvadora

Tough group though.

I'd have taken Barcelona, easy.

Think they're a shade of the side we faced last time in the Champions League.

Wilbur

Banned
PSG at the very least have them beat in sheer quality, I like Atletico but their team lacks quality players to actually make a difference vs other quality teams in a duel IMO.

They've beaten Madrid in a cup final and at the Bernabeu recently. They beat Chelsea 4-1 a year ago. They beat Milan 1-0 recently. They're ahead of Barcelona in the league. Think people are just sticking to the two team narrative now.

Salva, Barca are a good shout, but - even accounting for the red card - they were still handily better than City.

Salvadora

Salva, Barca are a good shout, but - even accounting for the red card - they were still handily better than City.
They were handily better than City while being as threatening as a blunt knife.

Defensively fragile, while being uncreative.

An opportune counter-attack (and no Demichelis) could've made that a very different result.

If RVP leaves I'd want someone better than Morata is right now.

Although would not be surprised if RVP is sold and Mata moves infield.

u21's - Yikes how did Andreas miss that. Not come along at all well this season. A shame.

Clegg

If RVP leaves I'd want someone better than Morata is right now.

Although would not be surprised if RVP is sold and Mata moves infield.

u21's - Yikes how did Andreas miss that. Not come along at all well this season. A shame.
That would cost an almighty wedge though. Defenders and central midfielders are a higher priority right now.

They've beaten Madrid in a cup final and at the Bernabeu recently. They beat Chelsea 4-1 a year ago. They beat Milan 1-0 recently. They're ahead of Barcelona in the league. Think people are just sticking to the two team narrative now.

Madrid derbies are more fighting than actual football but I'll give you that one. The Chelsea win was all Falcao, Milan sucks, and the league is about consistency more than it's about quality. I stand by the fact that they'll lose to most quality teams over two games. Also I don't believe the two team narrative, but most Primera teams are really bad, partly because of the TV money distribution.

Requeim

Getting an actual centre midfield has to be a priority.

I don't give a fuck even if this means we have to play ashley young as a striker, there's truly nothing worse than having a gaping hole where the spine of your team should be.

That would cost an almighty wedge though. Defenders and central midfielders are a higher priority right now.

Indeed.

There is already too much work to be done for one summer. Will be such a high turnover of players that it can't be good for the squad, especially in a WC year.

Really don't need to be creating more problems for ourselves but the RVP situation clearly could become one very soon.

Trabzonspor-Fenerbahce suspended after some Trabzonspor fans threw bricks at Fener keeper.

Bricks.

Anything else Fascism? I'm getting this stuff on Twitter, so it's not 100% reliable.

I wish Yurt was here :( I know he's on Twitter but it's not the same. Yurt and this Turkey love.

Clegg

Indeed.

There is already too much work to be done for one summer. Will be such a high turnover of players that it can't be good for the squad, especially in a WC year.

Really don't need to be creating more problems for ourselves but the RVP situation clearly could become one very soon.
Signing a quality midfielder will take up much of our time, and than getting replacements for our defenders? Can't see how all that can be done in one summer.

wedward

Yaya Sanogo ‏@Yayasanogoal22 3m
Some don't believe something can happen in Munich, really wonder why do they like football #Afc #Arsenal

SANOGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

L1NETT

Powell's doing alright for the Latics. Hardly world class granted, much would bring a bit of youthful energy that the every increasingly lazy 29 year olds and such don't seem to have.

--

Further on that (on the U21 game) tis a bit poor that, as City and Chelsea can spend their way to an improved squad, and Arsenal and Pool can call on increasingly bright youth prospects (Flanagan, Sterling, Ox, Wilshere, Ramsey-counts-ish, Gibbs) Manchester United can't really do either.....

Strange. Bar Adnan of course.

Wilbur

Banned
Signing a quality midfielder will take up much of our time, and than getting replacements for our defenders? Can't see how all that can be done in one summer.

Well we don't need lots of first team replacements; I'd be happy (read not ecstatic, but happy) with one centre midfielder and one centre back, if that was all we were to get.

We need depth more than real real starting quality at the back, as I'd be happy starting Jones alongside one of Evans and Smalling now. Obviously if Evra goes we need a left back but that isn't a foregone conclusion yet, and if he stays he's staying as first choice more likely than not. Depending on whether we continue with Mata/Shinji/Adnan, we might not need wingers and Valencia and Young are good second choices, they just shouldn't be automatic starters (not to mention Zaha and Lingard coming back).

I'm not going to panic yet; there's plenty of time, even with the World Cup, to get two or three bodies in.

Powell's doing alright for the Latics. Hardly world class granted, much would bring a bit of youthful energy that the every increasingly lazy 29 year olds and such don't seem to have.

--

Further on that (on the U21 game) tis a bit poor that, as City and Chelsea can spend their way to an improved squad, and Arsenal and Pool can call on increasingly bright youth prospects (Flanagan, Sterling, Ox, Wilshere, Ramsey-counts-ish, Gibbs) Manchester United can't really do either.....

Strange. Bar Adnan of course.

Powell is doing well. Would be good if he had a chance next season but not sure he will. Fingers crossed.

Oxlade-Chamberlain cost Arsenal £12-£15m. And Gibbs is 24. But yes, when we lost Morrison and Pogba who were the stars of our FAYC team, we lost the two best players from our academy. Thankfully we held onto Januzaj. Hopefully Jones and Smalling get to play CB regularly and come along. Pretty confident Jones will be a top player

Well we don't need lots of first team replacements; I'd be happy (read not ecstatic, but happy) with one centre midfielder and one centre back, if that was all we were to get.

We need depth more than real real starting quality at the back, as I'd be happy starting Jones alongside one of Evans and Smalling now. Obviously if Evra goes we need a left back but that isn't a foregone conclusion yet, and if he stays he's staying as first choice more likely than not. Depending on whether we continue with Mata/Shinji/Adnan, we might not need wingers and Valencia and Young are good second choices, they just shouldn't be automatic starters (not to mention Zaha and Lingard coming back).

I'm not going to panic yet; there's plenty of time, even with the World Cup, to get two or three bodies in.
Not enough. Need 5 minimum. Firstly to replace the players we will lose but also because this has to become Moyes' team. He needs players there who have come to the club to play for him.

And just the general fact that we don't have a good enough team.

Blablurn

yo, i might not participate a lot in the next two weeks due to some life-defining tasks ahead. gonna try to stay away from gaf as good as i can. but yeah, i will be back for sure. just letting you guys know in case somebody wonders (for example i hate it when people leave for weeks without a notice :p )

wish me luck guys. now or never.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom