• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT16| ''I tried to push him away with my head.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Got my tickets to see City vs Liverpool in New York this summer! Cost $100 each but we'll be in the 8th row (the Supporter's Section is sadly behind the goal). Absolutely cannot wait! We'll be in New York for 10 days total -- hopefully we can go to one of the open training sessions as well or something.

wedward

Kojima loves controversy for controversies sake. He offers no real insight or thought into any of the themes he tries to address. I assume he will handle
rape
with the same blunt hand he handles everything with. He is some gaming sacred cow when in reality he is a hack at best.

Elchele

Got my tickets to see City vs Liverpool in New York this summer! Cost $100 each but we'll be in the 8th row (the Supporter's Section is sadly behind the goal). Absolutely cannot wait! We'll be in New York for 10 days total -- hopefully we can go to one of the open training sessions as well or something.

That's great. You should have gone to the Bayern match instead, but oh well ;)

wedward

Gothic 3 gets delayed? Shocking. Probably a good idea. Good games take time.

I'll never understand why people hold his stories in such high regard. It's just bullshit stacked on top of bullshit, like the last season of Lost.

"It's good for a videogame."

Shit is shit no matter how it is prepared and served.

No, we wanted a DM to play alongside Ramsey. Arteta is used as a make-shift DM when played next to Ramsey or Wilshere and it doesn't work.

Ramsey is in our best 11 next to a new DM. Arteta isn't.

Woops, I didn't mean alongside Arteta in the XI, lol. I meant as one of 2 DMs in the squad.

And Arteta as a DM does work. He's not top class, but he does his job well. His positioning is better than Flamini's at least. He wins the ball back alot more, and we keep the ball better when he's on the pitch too.

He and Ramsey have a very good partnership, we saw that throughout 2013, Arteta's small bad patch doesn't change that. He doesn't work well with Wilshere because Jack has a genuinely poor tactical mind and doesn't win the ball back as often as he used to.

wedward

Woops, I didn't mean alongside Arteta in the XI, lol. I meant as one of 2 DMs in the squad.

And Arteta as a DM does work. He's not top class, but he does his job well. His positioning is better than Flamini's at least. He wins the ball back alot more, and we keep the ball better when he's on the pitch too.

He and Ramsey have a very good partnership, we saw that throughout 2013, Arteta's small bad patch doesn't change that. He doesn't work well with Wilshere because Jack has a genuinely poor tactical mind and doesn't win the ball back as often as he used to.

Arteta is fine, but if we want to improve, aside from striker I think he is the next player that needs to be replaced.

Elchele

Milan fans (and others because it's a good read):

Michael Cox article on Seedorf's playing career, and the comparison to Simeone who also went straight into management but has fashioned a team identity quicker

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tacticsandanalysis/id/2742?cc=5739

Simeone had a coaching career before joining Atlético, tho. His teams before Catania and San Lorenzo weren't exactly that great, but obviously you could see he had the potential to be great. I don't follow Milan that much but from some members comments it looks like Seedorf is showing some progress already.

edit: is just me or the pressing is one of the key points in all the best clubs atm?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Any Mirrors Edge fans? Hopefully that gets the full unveil treatment at e3 this year.

It's EA so until I have the final game in my hands I will assume they've ruined it. Barring the story segments the first game was perfection.

Wilbur

Banned
Simeone had a coaching career before joining Atlético, tho. His teams before Catania and San Lorenzo weren't exactly that great, but obviously you could see he had the potential to be great. I don't follow Milan that much but from some members comments it looks like Seedorf is showing some progress already.

edit: is just me or the pressing is one of the key points in all the best clubs atm?

Oh I know yeah, but I guess it isn't that they were great (although Estudiantes won with him in charge, didn't they?), just that they were identifiably a Simeone side.

Elchele

Oh I know yeah, but I guess it isn't that they were great (although Estudiantes won with him in charge, didn't they?), just that they were identifiably a Simeone side.

never watched Cholo's Estudiantes. Only saw his River Plate side, was good but sometimes he pulled some amateurish stuff when things weren't going his way, still as I said you could see his potential already

Seedorf still needs time, and getting his coaching license (lol) should be a #1 priority.

Wilbur

Banned
You know what? Sometimes I say that Adrian Durham is the worst football writer working today. I say that often, actually.

But his article today is amazing. I can't link because banned paper, but some snippets:

THE GLORIOUS PASSAGE ON UNITED
United belong in Europe’s elite and it’s almost unfair that because of a change of manager, and a tricky transition, they will be denied Champions League football. It’s equally unfair that the Champions League will be without United, one of the biggest clubs in the world, and one of the biggest draws in Europe.

They have been England’s most successful representatives in the competition for the past 10 years and we will miss their participation.

There will be plenty of United haters scoffing at this, but the truth is the Red Devils don’t belong in the Europa League. Neither do the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

The elite shouldn’t be forced to enter this meaningless competition. And that includes United.

So I hope United attract the cream of Europe to Old Trafford for friendlies, rather than take part in the Europa League.

It’s a tournament for losers. One difficult season doesn’t mean United are losers.

FARIDCHAN PLS UNDERSTAND
Everton are seventh in the Premier League table, hopes of a top-four finish fading fast, and they’ve just been beaten by a three-goal margin in an FA Cup quarter-final.

Not a lot has changed from last season it seems, despite some Everton fans proclaiming things are so much better under Martinez than they were under David Moyes.

The quality of the football is better apparently. It doesn’t mean much when you get hit for four in two of your biggest games of the season at Arsenal and Liverpool.

It’s not a bad season of course, but unless you build up a rather fragile case of ‘they play good football’, 2013/14 is not going to live too long in the Goodison memory.

Moyes took Everton above Liverpool in the final Premier League table in recent seasons. Now that’s something to shout about.

WEDWARD THIS ONE IS FOR YOU BABY
Surely Arsenal fans aren’t going to forgive Arsene Wenger for years of failure just because they’ve got as far in a cup competition as a League One side?

He is one lucky geezer.

Home ties all the way for the Gunners, even if they win the FA Cup they won’t have left London on their run.

The truth is by not seriously challenging for the title for 10 years, and losing in cup competitions to the likes of Bradford and Birmingham, this manager has lowered expectations among Gooners to such a level that they are now overjoyed to be booking tickets to Wembley.

Wenger was allowed to spend £42million on Mesut Ozil, he’s had nearly 20 years and 1,000 games in the Arsenal hotseat, and he earns over £7m a year, yet a semi-final is deemed success for Wenger by some. He may not be able to do up his coat, but he’s certainly done some Arsenal fans up like a kipper.

It seems Arsenal’s expectations this season match those of Sheffield United, Hull City and Wigan Athletic. Who knew?

Perhaps the trip to Wembley in April is a step on the march towards inevitable domestic and European, even global, domination for the Arsenal.

Good luck in your battle to win the trophy Wigan won last season, Gooners.

DC TAKE YOUR HOODY OFF AND FIGHT ME
When Sheik Mansour completed his takeover of Manchester City in 2008 he expressed a desire for the club to become winners in Europe.

So when Manuel Pellegrini was appointed I was really shocked. A manager with no history of trophy success in recent history was in my view a surprise choice – I thought the Sheik would rattle a few cages and roll the dice with a major appointment.

After all, he has the resources to go for pretty much whoever he wants to manage the club.

Pellegrini has been undone tactically at home by Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Wigan this season. He didn’t even know the Champions League group stage rules.

But he now has a massive opportunity to put right some of the massive mistakes he’s made this season. He must never pick Martin Demichelis again this season for a start. That would mean he swallows his pride and admits his signing was a terrible one, but it’s vital.

Barcelona’s dip in form recently has opened the door slightly for City. It’s a tall order after the first leg but Sheik Mansour wants to be competing at the same level as clubs like Barca so if Pellegrini isn’t capable he shouldn’t be at City.

I suggest he doesn’t wear a hoodie from the club shop on the touchline ever again as well. If the manager acts and presents himself in a professional way then his players have no excuse – they must follow suit.

A 60-year-old professional football manager at work should not be wearing a “MCFC” hoodie. Pellegrini needs to be professional, and needs to be good at his job.

Let’s see what he delivers in the two competitions that really matter to City’s owner.

Greatest article in the history of the Daily Mail. Now I'm going to have a nap for an hour. Xoxoxo love you all.

L1NETT

Durham is a professional troll. Gets paid to provoke people.

---

It's a cup competition you tard. Whole point is that it's a knockout. Having in a League One side in the semi's doesn't discredit a tough run. He said we didn't deserve to be at wembley.

Utter imbecile.

See? He is good at his job.

Blablurn

1795503_856524601030899_748460116_n.jpg

Meier

Anyone who doesn't think Pellegrini was asked to wear that hoodie is an idiot. Come on people, it was meant to sell the product. The fact that City shit the bed probably ruined that attempt though.

LegoArmo

Is it bad that I like that A Great Big World song with Christina Aguilera?

3-1 is my prediction for the Bayern vs Arsenal match, I hope it's good, anyway.

Durham is a professional troll. Gets paid to provoke people.

---

It's a cup competition you tard. Whole point is that it's a knockout. Having in a League One side in the semi's doesn't discredit a tough run. He said we didn't deserve to be at wembley.

Utter imbecile.

See? He is good at his job.

The logic of

Moyes above shit Liverpool : achievement
Martinez below good Liverpool with similar results: no achievement

makes me :lol

Blablurn

It's a 4-2-3-1 :O

FC Bayern lineup (4-2-3-1): Neuer - Lahm, Javi, Dante, Alaba - Thiago, Schweinsteiger - Robben, Götze, Ribéry - Mandzukic

GQman2121

Banned
Fucking daylight savings time has me thinking the game has kicked off already. We're still an hour out. Ugh.....

When does BST kick in?

Apparently Ox is in the pivot alongside Arteta. Poldi left-wing.

Are Muller and Kroos injured or is Pep basically telling Arsenal to lick his chode?

Kroos wasn't very good at The Emi when it was 11v11, can see why he'd prefer Thiago in a potentially high intensity game.

Jarnet87

Guardiola is saving Muller for the rescue mission if needed. What the world doesn't know yet is Moyes is in for a Kroos and Muller double swoop. We Germany now, moyesus you beautiful man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom