• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT16| ''I tried to push him away with my head.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

What is good about the writing?

What wasn't good about it? I thought this line in particular was one of the best I've ever encountered in any media: “Every time you hit a ceiling you raise the bar. You are like the Michael Jordan of being a sonuvabitch.” What a vivid and perfect visualization of asshole-ness.

Blablurn

Haha yes! Leverkusen will be fun. Glad we showed that we could defend as a team. Finally Arsenal can focus on the league and congrats again to the club for that bargain Özil.

Good timing that they play tmw as well :lol. Saturdays match gonna be fun indeed.

Ha, this suggestion Wenger was just stating a matter of fact is hilarious. Jesus. Christ.

Wenger says Ozil is out for a few weeks. Kinda wanna use this as further evidence Arsenal won't be winning the title, but it will take away from the legitimacy of the invisible jokes I want to make. What to do.

Clegg

Wenger didn't even mention if it was a correct or incorrect sending off.

Playing with 10 men for 60 minutes had the biggest affect on the tie?

No shit.

Which part of that isn't true?

He just said that Robben dived for his penalties.

Which if you've been paying attention, isn't true. Now he could be saying that he's a diver in general which is also true. But in the context of this tie he's ignoring rather obvious fouls.

Wilbur

Banned
i cant breathe

izK6P3Vsoi3eM.png

Hey, my account JUST got approved. I've been reading this thread for a loooong time now, and it feels so good to finally get to post.

Anyway, Herr K, AC Milan fan. We got trashed.

Welcome :) We're all trying to keep ourselfs together in that corner, if you want to join.

Wilbur

Banned
Ha, this suggestion Wenger was just stating a matter of fact is hilarious. Jesus. Christ.

Wenger says Ozil is out for a few weeks. Kinda wanna use this as further evidence Arsenal won't be winning the title, but it will take away from the legitimacy of the invisible jokes I want to make. What to do.

Just keep making posts like this and the problem will resolve itself when Wedward responds to every single one like it.

Man, I love FootyGAF almost as much as I hate FootyGAF.

wedward

He just said that Robben dived for his penalties.

Which if you've been paying attention, isn't true. Now he could be saying that he's a diver in general which is also true. But in the context of this tie he's ignoring rather obvious fouls.

"Robben is very good at getting the maximum of nothing. He is a great player, but also a good diver."

If the second penalty happened to Man U you would be fuming and calling him a diver. Lets not pretend here.

Elchele

Beckenbauer unhappy. "In the end, it'll be like Barca: unwatchable. They will pass the ball back even on the goal-line".

holy shit :lol

have to agree, Pep's Bayern has looked very depressing in the CL.

Damn.

I agree though. Like not even hating, Bayern were amazing last season. I get it's hard to play when people defend so much and today they were just chillin. But last season's Bayern played the perfect type of football.

Pep ruined it all.

Dont be dipshits people. Bayerns on to the next round...they will be forced to wreck some shit next round.

Arsenal is a corpse..never forget that.

Wilbur

Banned
Damn.

I agree though. Like not even hating, Bayern were amazing last season. I get it's hard to play when people defend so much and today they were just chillin. But last season's Bayern played the perfect type of football.

Pep ruined it all.

Honestly, both games against Barca were as good as I've seen a team play since the 5-0 against Madrid.

Messi

Haha he is right though. The price for dominance.

Damn.

Pep ruined it all.

Yep, this system works but it is boring as fuck most of the time. It will get worse until pep gets bored in a few years.

Honestly, both games against Barca were as good as I've seen a team play since the 5-0 against Madrid.

Yeah.

It wasn't just that game though. Their general approach was different. They moved the ball alot quicker and into channels alot more.

I dunno, Bayern-GAF will know better but whilst this isn't total tiki-taka it's just...it's very Arsenal like actually.

Ozil out for a few weeks? One in one out theory is so consistent. Ramsey is back in full training tomorrow, lol.

As long as Arsene keeps whoever our fitness coach is and those butchers in the medical room, we'll always be handicapped. I've never called for his head, but I will be happy as fuck when the next manager brings his own people in. After 7 years it's just negligence, and honestly, it's really unfair on the players if nothing else. Wilshere was out for a season with a recurring ankle injury 2 years ago and still grabs it every weekend, Ramsey's out for 6 weeks, gets the same injury in his first training session back - another six. Just putting these boys' careers at risk.

Carbonox

True Detective was as its absolute best during the 90's stuff, IMO. Some of the best character chemistry I've seen in a while and dat fantastic action scene at the end of episode 4 (or was it 5). There was a nice pace to it all and it was tense and gripping. It was legitimately great. The background and history of the whole thing was just as interesting as what we visually got to witness. That air of terror and humanity's evil was just about always present which made for some uncomfortable scenes at times. Just marvelous.

The 2012 stuff intertwining with the 90's scenes were nicely done as well but I can see the criticism when it came to focusing more on the 2012 stuff. Given the greater task the characters faced, it felt a bit too rushed and everything fell in to place too quickly and easily. It still looked great, was acted brilliantly and had a superbly tense finale. Could it have done with an extra episode or so? I dunno. There was a convenience about everything towards the end, absolutely despite the reasoning suggesting why this is the case.

Throw in Wilbur's post and I think True Detective - while not perfect - is easily one of the most interesting and often times brilliant TV shows in the last few years.

My concern is what they do next. McConaughey and Harrelson were absolutely superb in their roles and had wicked chemistry. The former especially was a hoot to watch. I'd be absolutely shocked if McC didn't win an Emmy.

It will take something special but if this is what we got as a first punt, I have faith we'll get another great season next.

Jack cw

We will compare this years Bayern when we play against a competent opposition. Tonight's match wasn't much different from last years performance against Arse and Juve tbh.

Clegg

"Robben is very good at getting the maximum of nothing. He is a great player, but also a good diver."

If the second penalty happened to Man U you would be fuming and calling him a diver. Lets not pretend here.

I just called him a diver in my previous post. But both fouls were penalties. First game he had has standing leg taken from under him. This evening Koscielny stupidly pushed him in the box. He went down easily but it's still a pen.

I don't like Wenger, that's pretty obvious. But at the same time can be subjective in my analysis and in my opinion he's being quite disingenuous over this whole Robben thing.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah.

It wasn't just that game though. Their general approach was different. They moved the ball alot quicker and into channels alot more.

I dunno, Bayern-GAF will know better but whilst this isn't total tiki-taka it's just...it's very Arsenal like actually.

Agreed; there doesn't seem to be much urgency in their game from what I've seen this season. They're winning games and scoring lots, but I'd attribute that to the talent of their players as opposed to the pace of their game.

Elchele

Yeah.

We don't play like this in the Bundesliga, tho. We have been playing great football in the second half of the season, but somehow it hasn't translated to our CL performances.

Also, I think having Lahm in the midfield is very important for the system to work.

Worth mentioning that Arsenal made it very difficult to us, that also had an important impact in how we played during the second half mostly.

Jupp's Bayern was the best team I've seen in my life. But I doubt there was anyone more qualified than Guardiola to take over, sadly

Hixx

who are you

Awful crack.

-

Tonight was the first time I've thought Chamberlain looked like he could be a genuine top-class player. That run was great but his close control in general, his decision making, his work rate and especially his tactical nous really impressed me considering how inexperienced he is at that level.

Wilbur

Banned
For TD; the first five episodes were absolutely breathtakingly good. Wonderfully well acted, written, looking. Clever, interesting, different. The last three episodes were still very good, but a drop in quality for sure. Doesn't mean I still don't think the show as a whole was great; can't wait to watch them again.

For Bayern; I wonder why Pep is dropping Lahm back into RB for the CL, obvious drop in quality from him to Rafinha aside. Martinez just doesn't seem to fit his tactics, so the midfield's movement and the speed at which they get the ball forwards is hindered by Lahm not being in there.

I know you guys play 4-1-4-1 which is pretty much 4-3-3, but I'm wondering what the usual personnel is there; from what I've seen of Bayern (10-15 games all season), it's Lahm/Kroos/Thiago in the middle?

Scum

Awful crack.

-

Tonight was the first time I've thought Chamberlain looked like he could be a genuine top-class player. That run was great but his close control in general, his decision making, his work rate and especially his tactical nous really impressed me considering how inexperienced he is at that level.
Hodgson, pls.

Carbonox

I just had some pitta bread and hummus which was a bad idea, 15 minutes after I had 2 corned beef sandwiches. I suddenly jolt every now and then cos I keep thinking a trickle of fecal smoothie has entered my personal space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom