• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT16| ''I tried to push him away with my head.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Awful crack.

-

Tonight was the first time I've thought Chamberlain looked like he could be a genuine top-class player. That run was great but his close control in general, his decision making, his work rate and especially his tactical nous really impressed me considering how inexperienced he is at that level.

Yeah, it isn't even about the impact he had on the game (which was relatively negligible all things considered), but it was just such a mature performance. Reminded me of Wilshere's against Barca a few years ago in some ways, although not as brilliant.

Messi

BieuIRNCIAAmgwR.jpg

Classless. Dont usually see that from Bayern fans.

Salvadora

For TD; the first five episodes were absolutely breathtakingly good. Wonderfully well acted, written, looking. Clever, interesting, different. The last three episodes were still very good, but a drop in quality for sure. Doesn't mean I still don't think the show as a whole was great; can't wait to watch them again.
I missed the slow-paced atmosphere of the initial episodes. It was almost trance like.

Hard to explain, but it really tickled my fancy.
Disgusting.

That club has really gone downhill in my books.

Elchele

I know you guys play 4-1-4-1 which is pretty much 4-3-3, but I'm wondering what the usual personnel is there; from what I've seen of Bayern (10-15 games all season), it's Lahm/Kroos/Thiago in the middle?

Nope, after the winter break we switched to the 4-2-3-1 again, thank God. That's why we actually play good football again. In the first leg against Arsenal, Pep switched back to 4-1-4-1 and we got rapped in the first half of the game.

Today we played 4-2-3-1 and had better control in midfield, but still lacked Lahm in midfield since he's basically our best defensive midfielder.

Kroos/Bastian now play in the holding midfield, next to Lahm. Thiago/Gotze/Muller as CAM.

Javi is now playing as CB, because as you said he isn't suited for Pep's idea of a midfielder. But he stills plays as DM every now and then, like vs Wolfsburg

I missed the slow-paced atmosphere of the initial episodes. It was almost trance like.

It felt natural. It was so enjoyable just to sit back and watch it. Nothing much was going on but you could just observe the brilliance.

The final act just felt so rushed and cheap.

Clegg

Disagree.

I am just going to drop it.

I'm being subjective right now. Arsenal did well not to get hammered other teams would have. They defended solidly for the most part but some stupid errors from Koscielny cost them. Bayern were the better side over the two legs and contained the Arsenal threat for the most part but didn't ever look likely to run away with the tie either. Wenger insisting that Robben's penaltys were dives is a mark against him as both were pretty blatant fouls.

Jack cw

I know you guys play 4-1-4-1 which is pretty much 4-3-3, but I'm wondering what the usual personnel is there; from what I've seen of Bayern (10-15 games all season), it's Lahm/Kroos/Thiago in the middle?
Basically yes. But that's more because schweini was injured for months as well as Martinez. It worked so far and those two legs against Arsenal showed that Rafinha is the better full back when it comes to peps style of play and lahm is the ideal 6. But I guess he hast to rotate because the bench cod destroy the peace inside the team.

Scum

Not the most technically gifted player but fuck me did he give it his all in every game. Fantastic leader :(

He is EXACTLY the CB Barca need right now. Someone who gets on with it. He should be kept on as an advisor of some sort and help draft in new CBs. Puyol will be missed.

Meier

Ozil being out a few weeks may not be a bad thing. Doesn't he only have like 1 goal and 1 assist this calendar year? He's probably could use a few weeks off. I know Germany has the 2 month or so winter break or something -- doesn't Spain have a few weeks as well? The guy is just a ghost of his former/earlier season self. He got run down playing in those leagues let alone in the PL.

Ahh, it's actually 1 goal and 3 assists across all comps (only 1 assist in the PL). His last two goals have been against Everton (~3 months apart) oddly enough.

Wilbur

Banned

Yeah, agreed; I enjoyed episodes 6 and 7 because of MM and WH's acting, but it degenerated into standard plotting there, and the finale certainly was rushed like Viva says.

I still really enjoyed it and there was some brilliant parts in the finale, especially that last five/ten minutes, but it's a shame they couldn't keep that absolutely wonderful quality up. Still a 9/10 show overall.

Nope, after the winter break we switched to the 4-2-3-1 again, thank God. That's why we actually play good football again. In the first leg against Arsenal, Pep switched back to 4-1-4-1 and we got rapped in the first half of the game.

Today we played 4-2-3-1 and had better control in midfield, but still lacked Lahm in midfield since he's basically our best defensive midfielder.

Kroos/Bastian now play in the holding midfield, next to Lahm. Thiago/Gotze/Muller as CAM.

Javi is now playing as CB, because as you said he isn't suited for Pep's idea of a midfielder. But he stills plays as DM every now and then, like vs Wolfsburg

Basically yes. But that's more because schweini was injured for months as well as Martinez. It worked so far and those two legs against Arsenal showed that Rafinha is the better full back when it comes to peps style of play and lahm is the ideal 6. But I guess he hast to rotate because the bench cod destroy the peace inside the team.

Ah okay, cheers guys.

Messi

He is EXACTLY the CB Barca need right now. Someone who gets on with it. He should be kept on as an advisor of some sort and help draft in new CBs. Puyol will be missed.

He is but he wants to leave for the moment. I believe he will come back as a coach of some kind in a year or two. This is not the last Barca fans have heard from Puyol. Maybe he will go to Milan for a year or two.

Scum

He is but he wants to leave for the moment. I believe he will come back as a coach of some kind in a year or two. This is not the last Barca fans have heard from Puyol. Maybe he will go to Milan for a year or two.
Good. You need him to scare some life back into Pique.

Couple of tomorrows backpage headlines are lambasting Ozil's performance.
Any good tabloid puns?

jtb

Banned
Ozil being out a few weeks may not be a bad thing. Doesn't he only have like 1 goal and 1 assist this calendar year? He's probably could use a few weeks off. I know Germany has the 2 month or so winter break or something -- doesn't Spain have a few weeks as well? The guy is just a ghost of his former self. He would get run down playing in those leagues let alone in the PL.

Wenger already rested him for two weeks after the first leg.

Salvadora

Bit OTT, but tabloids innit.
Isn't it just?

Obviously Ozil was a high profile transfer with a big fee, who underperformed tonight, but it seems odd to single him out in particular. It's not like he was the only player who played badly. I'm not opposed to criticism, but it seems like they're targeting him.

Especially considering we only drew away to Bayern.

jtb

Banned
After playing every game this season, 2 games off isn't really going to make a difference. He has been overused since the beginning and should have been rotated more.

his performance against Everton was a return to form, I thought. I didn't think he was all that poor tonight. the team was told not to concede and somewhere along the line he picked up an injury. hard to say he really failed the team in any way. he should've been rotated more (and that very may well be why he's now done his hamstring) but I thought the rest did him some good.

Salvadora

By the way, someone would do very well to pick Fabianski up in the summer on a free.

He's put in some really top performances for Arsenal over his time here and with a run as number one somewhere else, might really blossom.

Wilbur

Banned
By the way, someone would do very well to pick Fabianski up in the summer on a free.

He's put in some really top performances for Arsenal over his time here and with a run as number one somewhere else, might really blossom.

Would do well to do what Mannone did and move somewhere with less prestige but way more game time.

Herr K

Banned
I still can't accept what happened on Madrid. If only Kaka had scored his second chance.

No Europe for Milan until July 2015.

Arnie

I've not watched True Detective, will probably start it next week, but there's not a fucking hope in hell it's anywhere close to Boardwalk.

GOAT show.

Just done Season 4 Episode 9 (or 10, can't remember).

The three Thompsons in the room, closing shot, all in suits, Eli says "let's get it done". Cut.

Wilbur

Banned
I've not watched True Detective, will probably start it next week, but there's not a fucking hope in hell it's anywhere close to Boardwalk.

GOAT show.

The three Thompsons in the room, closing shot, all in suits, Eli says "let's get it done". Cut.

Very different show, but yeah I love Boardwalks S2, 3 and 4.

First one, I wasn't fond of until near the end.

L1NETT

Holy fuck

We on a game of football

away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2-0! James Hanson

Whip out the strawberry durex and get on grindr

Time to celebrate!

(and go out!)

Messi

GOAT show.

Fucccck yes. GOAT show*
after arrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom