• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT16| ''I tried to push him away with my head.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

subtles

I was, at the very least, hoping the North London Derby would be on Saturday. -.-

If we win our game against United then any outcome in that game would be advantageous.

tumblr_n0942ok6HU1rl9nv7o1_400.gif

Imagine this off the bench in place of Moses.

Hnnnnngghhh

subtles

Yes I'm sure 'plyanka is desperate to come and sit on Liverpool's bench.

Even Suarez came off the bench to score in his first game. :D

I wasn't suggesting he would be a permanent fixture there but he would certainly have to work his way into the team.

You guys haven't claimed first yet? haven't Lokomotiv only won the league twice?

What was your top score Morsel?

GorillaJu

Got 2228. Highest tile was 256. lol

I've gotten up to 3500-ish just trying to keep the highest tile in the top right and sweeping everything up and right but I inevitably make a bad move that gets a 2 or 4 wedged permanently up there and eventually i can't get my 256s to stack on each other.

Even Suarez came off the bench to score in his first game. :D

I wasn't suggesting he would be a permanent fixture there but he would certainly have to work his way into the team.

You guys haven't claimed first yet? haven't Lokomotiv only won the league twice?

What was your top score Morsel?
Well it's not like we're some historical powerhouses either, we've only won the league 4 times ourselves. And I'd be fine with Loko winning, anyone but Spartak really. As for us, I'll be happy if we manage to scrape into the CL at this point.

GorillaJu

Lol damn I'd go again to try and beat your score but puzzle games really do my head in. I start seeing them when I close my eyes and it feels like my head is swimming.

FootballFan

smh this thread during the Bayern match.

It feels like everyone only watched Bayern last year when they embarrassed us 7-0.

"Last years Bayern was better" "omg Bayern so boring, why aren't they going forward"

They are at home with a 2-0 away lead, and still dominating the match. Still had more chances. Still only conceded because of an uncalled foul. Still could have won had Muller scored his penalty.

How about instead of comparing it to the Bayern that played Barca last season, you compare it to the Bayern who played Arsenal last season and lost. Arsenal were barely even competition this time around.

Ugh. Disgusting.

subtles

Lol damn I'd go again to try and beat your score but puzzle games really do my head in. I start seeing them when I close my eyes and it feels like my head is swimming.

The worst part about puzzle games for me is when you know you made a mistake and you feel like shouting. At that point it's less about playing and more about trying to go for as long as you can until another route is possible.

Blablurn

It feels like everyone only watched Bayern last year when they embarrassed us 7-0.

"Last years Bayern was better" "omg Bayern so boring, why aren't they going forward"

They are at home with a 2-0 away lead, and still dominating the match. Still had more chances. Still only conceded because of an uncalled foul. Still could have won had Muller scored his penalty.

How about instead of comparing it to the Bayern that played Barca last season, you compare it to the Bayern who played Arsenal last season and lost. Arsenal were barely even competition this time around.

Ugh. Disgusting.

British insecurity. Don't pay too much attention to it.

rodvik

Ugh. Disgusting.

Agreed.

I do find it amazing how Pep can take probably the best team in europe and make them better. Bayerns movement off the ball was Pep Barca-esque. Astonishing to see.

wedward

Ugh. Disgusting.

You don't always have to defend Pep.

Last years team looked better. Even the one that lost to Arsenal.

Avaya did always say that pep drugs his teams

Well, Pep drugged himself so...

FootballFan

You don't always have to defend Pep.

Last years team looked better. Even the one that lost to Arsenal.

Who is talking about Pep?

Bayern, the team, look better this season. Stats and playing wise. They have dominated matches more, have earned more points and so far have done better in the CL than they did at this stage last season.

I haven't looked it up, but I bet after last seasons Arsenal match, Wenger said "we played really well, we almost got through". This time, he knows they weren't even close. So instead, he says "LOLZ Robben is a diverr" like some sore loser who can't handle being dominated and not once looking threatening.

Last season Bayern at this stage of CL lost vs Arsenal and BATE lol.

Please. Bayern vs Barca wasn't the only games that Bayern played last season people..

Why do you think any reasonable Bayern fan would agree with me. Elsk is the only one that would disagree, and Elsk probably thinks Pizarro is better than CR7, so yeah.

Bayern won the Arsenal tie without going into 2nd gear. Last season they barely scraped past them.

wedward

I haven't looked it up, but I bet after last seasons Arsenal match, Wenger said "we played really well, we almost got through". This time, he knows they weren't even close. So instead, he says "LOLZ Robben is a diverr" like some sore loser who can't handle being dominated and not once looking threatening.

Lol.

"Good luck to Bayern, they are a good side but I think they are this season more vulnerable than last year."

It's so obvious you didn't watch the matches.

Jack cw

Ugh. Disgusting.
Great and rational post.
The match yesterday was pretty brillant by Bayern besides the finishing. Movement off the ball, pressing, positioning, everything was pretty perfect and resulted in complete domination taking away any desire from Özil, Cazorla, Arteta et al. Yes, it was like watching Barca, but Bayern is more variable and unpredictable because their game is not dependant on GOAT. I never thought we could domitate a side like Arse for 180 minutes and if it wasnt for that arrogant carrying the ball over the line attitude we could have won this game 3 or 4 to 1. I'm pretty confident that we make it to the semis which would be a great success. Arsenal fans were great though in Munich. Our fans, not so much.

i'm with KidA. this Bayern is better than last season's but god is it boring to watch.

Arsenal didn't help the festivities either. completely fold unless they're playing some bottom of the barrel side.

FootballFan

Lol.

"Good luck to Bayern, they are a good side but I think they are this season more vulnerable than last year."

It's so obvious you didn't watch the matches.

...yeah great response.

"you didn't watch the match" lol.

I had to turn off the stream during the post match interviews because salt was pouring out of the speakers whenever Wenger opened his mouth.

wedward

...yeah great response.

"you didn't watch the match" lol.

I had to turn off the stream during the post match interviews because salt was pouring out of the speakers whenever Wenger opened his mouth.

Must have turned it off before that quote.

We didn't once look threatening yet somehow won a penalty and scored a goal.

The old age is getting to you.

Only when Robben starts

Oh ok I thought that may be it.

Can't stand him the diving cunt.

Ed- before Bayern GAF get it all shitty about me calling diving cunt face a diving cunt that was just a generalisation in that instance, rather than in relation to last nights events.

He however is also the king of over reactions.

Jack cw

I was actually smiling. As if Robben made the difference. Both penalties were correct, and even the one where he dived was one, but he fell too dramatic. Its one reason why Wenger fails to get past the last 16. No reflection on what the real problems were. No pressing in Bayerns half, lost many tackles, lost many balls, couldnt get the second balls, marking was bad, they ran around 5 miles less than the Bayern squad, couldnt put any pressure on Lahm and Alaba. None of the basics to compete with a strong posession team were performed by Arsenal. Instead of complaining about Robben, Wenger might consider to implent actual tactics to the team. His saltyness was great though.

Jack cw

I don't watch much Bayern but do they always run down the right and cut back the ball?

Yeah, its something I witnessed with Barca in 2008-2011 too. If Robben can breakthrough its mostly a goal as he finishes or crosses but most of the time Pep wants to create a circle around the box to lure out the holding midfielders in order to get space between defenders and midfielders so Thiago, Kroos or Schweinsteiger could pass through the middle. Its basically handball tactics but it works. We scored more goals (around 25%) than last year. Looks boring but its effective as hell.

FootballFan

Must have turned it off before that quote.

We didn't once look threatening yet somehow won a penalty and scored a goal.

The old age is getting to you.

Threatening, as in threatening to win the tie.

At no point did I feel like placing a bet on Arsenal to come back because it never looked like it would happen*. Bayern had the match under control, from the 20th minute of the first leg, to the 90th of the second leg.

The old age thing, good stuff.

*And because I am not a betting man, like DC.

i'm with KidA. this Bayern is better than last season's but god is it boring to watch.

Arsenal didn't help the festivities either. completely fold unless they're playing some bottom of the barrel side.

And I don't necessarily disagree with you. More boring or not, I do agree that they are better.

Barcelona gonna berry City tonight. bring them down a notch.

how crazy that this time next week the only PL teams left in euro competitions gonna be Chelsea? dat Mou.

dc89

We really really really cannot afford to go into next season with Giroud as our main striker. Just can't.

Now which OT were my posts in... the ones where I said that Arsenal will not win the title with just one out and out striker... So many muthafuckers disagreed with me...

FootballFan

Oh ok I thought that may be it.

Can't stand him the diving cunt.

Ed- before Bayern GAF get it all shitty about me calling diving cunt face a diving cunt that was just a generalisation in that instance, rather than in relation to last nights events.

He however is also the king of over reactions.

I don't think any Bayern-GAF will get shitty at you. Everyone knows he is a diving cunt, but calling the penalties he won in the first and second leg a dive like Wenger has, is just wrong. Both were penalties.

Still doesn't change the fact he likes to dive. :p

Blablurn

Jack. Do you also think Jupps Bayern were better? I don't know. He had 2 years to form his team. In the first year they were mostly crap (except the CL). In the second year they played outstanding football for most of the time. But people tend to forget that Dortmund dominated us in the first 30 min of the final. And we almost choked against Stuttgart in the DFB Pokal final when we stopped playing.

When it comes to Bundesliga this years team is definitely not worse than Jupps. And then remember. It's only Peps first year. Who knows how much better they get next year?

Anyway, what I also would like to stress is the fact that Pep managed to motivate a Triple winning team. After choking away 2012 and winning 2013 it would have not been a surprise if some player had started to lose some momentum.

But we're seeing something completely different right now. Lahm gained new momentum as a DM. Rafinha plays the season of his life has a RB. Martinez is becoming a new CB. And by adding Thiago and Götze our midfield gained new spirit as well.

Mandzu was benched when he started to show some lethargy. Since then he is playing even better than last year.

I don't kow. Even if we don't win the Triple this year (too much to ask for anyway after last year), I still think this years team is better.

Jack cw

Jack. Do you also think Jupps Bayern were better? I don't know. He had 2 years to form his team. In the first year they were mostly crap (except the CL). In the second year they played outstanding football for most of the time. But people tend to forget that Dortmund dominated us in the first 30 min of the final. And we almost choked against Stuttgart in the DFB Pokal final when we stopped playing.
Hard to say. The way last years Bayern wiped the floor with Europe was impressive as hell and they were relentless in their vertical play and attacking. They were perfectly prepared for any opponent and had only one weakness (same as this years Bayern) - high pressing against the full backs, like Dortmund, Stuttgart and Arsenal in AA were doing. Things changed last year, when Heynckes implemented offensive pressing to the team and key players like Mandzukic and Javi Martinez who both press and are pressing resistent. The attack was mostly done through the wings with digonal passes to Ribery and Robben from a 4-2-1-2-1 formation. It was more straight forward than this year but we scored less than this year and conceded more goals because Heynckes full backs were positioned deeper and Javi and Schweini werent that dominant because they were mostly in their own half. These little things changed this year and Pep plays basically a variable 4-3-3 that becomes a 4-2-1-3 in our own half and a classic 4-3-3 in attack with the full backs overloading the side with the ball, so they have always the upper hand resulting in that domination and posession. This also leads to faster switches to the other side of the wing and the opposition has to run even more to cover the free space our other winger has. Both tactics are incredibly good but different. In the end its about winning trophies. From the tactics perspective, I think that Pep has the way more variable and interesting kind of play because it needs high skill, focus and knowledge of how to use the room and attack and defend as a collective. And we should not forget, that 2012 was basically a year we lost any final and werent seen as the dominating squad we are now.

When it comes to Bundesliga this years team is definitely not worse than Jupps. And then remember. It's only Peps first year. Who knows how much better they get next year?
Stastics say we are better in any regard this season and since Pep switched to the 4-2-1-3, the team basically wins everything. It was amazing to see Pep using Heynckes tactics against Dortmund this year. This variety in play makes it so hard for other teams to beat us.

I don't kow. Even if we don't win the Triple this year (too much to ask for anyway after last year), I still think this years team is better.

And thats the point. We made progress and brought some of the best talent to the squad. Winning the CL is something thats tied with luck (injuries, suspensions, referee etc.) and only small margins decide the outcome. As I said. with this team the semis should be the goal and from there, everything is possible.

When Bayern's dominations ends, I'll be laughing like a complete mentalist. Hopefully it coincides with liquidation.

I can't stand Real Madrid, but I'd be willing them to smash the absolute fuck out of the Bavarian bellshiners. Failing that, we'll just have to do it ourselves next year.

Blablurn

When Bayern's dominations ends, I'll be laughing like a complete mentalist. Hopefully it coincides with liquidation.

I can't stand Real Madrid, but I'd be willing them to smash the absolute fuck out of the Bavarian bellshiners. Failing that, we'll just have to do it ourselves next year.

lol. Hitch pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom