• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT16| ''I tried to push him away with my head.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lol

At least Super Sunday is actually super this week.

United vs. Liverpool is always good and given the context this season, it could be bloody fantastic.

Have friends that are Arsenal fans and have friends that are Tottenham fans...no idea who I'd rather win because I get to chuckle either way.

Tbh, following the midweek that both have had it seems cruel laughing at either.

Lol

Bumhead

Banned
The secret to the Premier League is the strength of the Football League as a whole.

There's (usually) a lot more interest in who is coming up and going down than there is in other countries. I don't think there's another country in the world that has more former European Champions, League Champions and domestic cup winners just sat around in the second division and beyond, waiting to fill the voids once Fulham and Cardiff etc fuck off. There's generally a much wider spread of teams worth a shit not just in the EPL itself but also outside of it.

Where else does that apply? Whose swapping places in the Bundesliga and German second tier next season? And more importantly who fucking cares?

Wilbur

Banned
The secret to the Premier League is the strength of the Football League as a whole.

There's (usually) a lot more interest in who is coming up and going down than there is in other countries. I don't think there's another country in the world that has more former European Champions, League Champions and domestic cup winners just sat around in the second division and beyond, waiting to fill the voids once Fulham and Cardiff etc fuck off. There's generally a much wider spread of teams worth a shit not just in the EPL itself but also outside of it.

Where else does that apply? Whose swapping places in the Bundesliga and German second tier next season? And more importantly who fucking cares?

Absolutely. The Championship is a brilliant league.

Bumhead

Banned
Absolutely. The Championship is a brilliant league.

It's always bubbling under the surface of the EPL's glitz and glam. It provides a surprising amount of subtle context to the drama of the top flight, particularly at the lower end. And the likes of Leicester and possibly Forest or Derby going back up is a storyline that strengthens the league as a whole next year.

Europe's second divisions are a shit show. Across the lot Palermo are the only ones I can think of worth a damn and that's because I recognise them as the team with the pink kit I sometimes played as on PES and I used to sign Zaccarado on FM.

Try saying that after watching United. Go ahead. I'll wait.
9acf46eba879705e9ff0f3c7a288cb88.jpg

Premier League is the most exciting, that's why its the best. Not because it has the strongest teams.

this is a pretty accurate statement. Other countries often at times have the same Top 3 teams battling it out for the championship, some others are worse: always the same Top 2 teams battling for the top.

faridmon

It's always bubbling under the surface of the EPL's glitz and glam. It provides a surprising amount of subtle context to the drama of the top flight, particularly at the lower end. And the likes of Leicester and possibly Forest or Derby going back up is a storyline that strengthens the league as a whole next year.

Europe's second divisions are a shit show. Across the lot Palermo are the only ones I can think of worth a damn and that's because I recognise them as the team with the pink kit I sometimes played as on PES and I used to sign Zaccarado on FM.

Playing the devils advocate here, but maybe Championship is exciting to you because you have the maximum coverage as British who happens to live in UK and especially support a club that happens to be in that division.
When I was in Norway, Norwegian 2nd division was more important to me, than say, Bundesliga 2 because it was everywhere. Not that division's quality has anything to do with how much I knew about as opposed to other league. Doesn't really add anything to the argument.

I'll just say you will like the league you happen you to watch the most. Both ''Lol EPL'' and ''Shut the fuck up weasels'' do have a point in their own context.

this is a pretty accurate statement. Other countries often at times have the same Top 3 teams battling it out for the championship, some others are worse: always the same Top 2 teams battling for the top.

This season is pretty damn competitive but next season could be ridiculous. United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal all expected to be pretty close - Tottenham continuing to fight for that top 4 spot. Then you have the usual surprise packages every year - Southampton for example this year (at times anyway).

Look how close the bottom half is too!

Granted, that last point is not unique but I don't think anyone could really call it boring.

Bumhead

Banned
Playing the devils advocate here, but maybe Championship is exciting to you because you have the maximum coverage as British who happens to live in UK and especially support a club that happens to be in that division.

Possibly.

I wouldn't rule that out. Although it's worth noting that I have no affection for The Championship. My team plays in it but I still dream of the day when it doesn't. But I do respect the historical achievements of many of the teams currently in our second and third divisions. Does the Norwegian second division have a 2 time European cup winner, or the last time to win the title other than the current top 4, or teams that have won the league more times than this years likely Champions have?

I always find asking people to list their "perfect" Premier League of 20 teams is a good indicator. I bet you could list and agree on a definitive 20 teams for Germany, Italy and Spain and never speak of it again. In England, your top 10-12 is probably a lock, but you could have an entire group of people giving different answers for the remaining teams. And even when you've got your 20, you're still leaving out clubs who are probably bigger and have won more historically than teams locked into the Spain, German and Italian lists.

arkon

I wasn't even home during the afternoon.
btw, you have become one of the most dumb posters here after your banning. don't know what happened to you

Come on. Are you trying to play innocent?

Congrats Lambda and rvy

expected result

epl

You made that post earlier which sparked off the latest round of that discussion, which I'm guessing is what OddMorsel and WoodenLung were referring to earlier. You're also one of the posters that's normally involved in it.

cremino

[Insert League] is the most exciting because that's the one I follow.

EPL would be significantly better if cut down to 16 teams.

Nah...They should just abolish the League cup and institute a Christmas/New years eve break.
I think this would reduce the amount of injuries and favour the teams involved in european competitions

Jin_7

Mostly domestic fans care. The relegation battle in the Bundesliga has been the predominant topic lately given that Bayern is pretty much through. I think most international fans are in for the bigger clubs in the EPL as well.

subtles

I hope Aron develops without stagnating/regressing like others of notable progression.

There have been too many of those unfortunately.

Jin_7

Yeah, no. As usual, I don't think people understand self deprecation or sarcasm over the Internet. I can only imagine all the posts saying DAT EPL are being taken seriously by Bundesliga fans.

Why on gods earth would I give a solitary fuck about what Schalke get up to? And if I do, and I use that as a reflection on the league as a whole, I'm sure it would amount to far more than "lol Bundesliga"

This whole debate always starts because an English team loses, or there's a boring match on and someone goes "AND THIS IS THE BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD?"

This is how it always starts. Not because Premier League fans belittle other leagues. If they do, it's in reciprocation to some fucking inane, blanket statement about a game between Norwich and West Ham being indicative or the entire league (but the fact that you're watching it in the first place instead of something else speaks volumes).

I prefer it when the thread is either detailed informed chat about the virtues of leagues, or when we don't talk about that at all. The off topic bollocks is far more preferable than someone posting "lol EPL" when spurs of all fucking teams lose, and then proceed to cry when someone says "lol Bundesliga" if Schalke loses, coming up with excuses.

Can't have it both ways.

Well, I think it's just one or two people who would come up with excuses over that here.

I've read negative comments about the Bundesliga countless times without the context of the BPL or any English team. Like when Bayern destroys the opposition or a German team loses internationally.

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens more often recently than people talking crap about the BPL since most people follow the BPL here.

I've read negative comments about the Bundesliga countless times without the context of the BPL or any English team. Like when Bayern destroys the opposition or a German team loses internationally.

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens more often recently than people talking crap about the BPL since most people follow the BPL here.

That definitely happens.

loliga happens a lot too

Wilbur

Banned
But then you have people like Jupp saying lol EPL and then forgetting he did five minutes later

It's so natural to him he just forgets

He's an addict

He must be stopped

TeddyBoy

Possibly.

I wouldn't rule that out. Although it's worth noting that I have no affection for The Championship. My team plays in it but I still dream of the day when it doesn't. But I do respect the historical achievements of many of the teams currently in our second and third divisions. Does the Norwegian second division have a 2 time European cup winner, or the last time to win the title other than the current top 4, or teams that have won the league more times than this years likely Champions have?

I always find asking people to list their "perfect" Premier League of 20 teams is a good indicator. I bet you could list and agree on a definitive 20 teams for Germany, Italy and Spain and never speak of it again. In England, your top 10-12 is probably a lock, but you could have an entire group of people giving different answers for the remaining teams. And even when you've got your 20, you're still leaving out clubs who are probably bigger and have won more historically than teams locked into the Spain, German and Italian lists.

That's actually a really good question, picking a persons 'perfect' Premier league isn't something I'd thought about before.

I'd definitely go with the big old clubs. Nottingham Forest, Leeds, Blackburn, both Sheffield Wednesday and United. (Maybe some one like Birmingham or Wolves).

I know my brother likes seeing Swansea, Cardiff and Norwich in the league as those areas don't have representation in the top flight.

Then there's the argument no one deserves to be where at the top on history or location and the premier league is already perfect as it is as the worst teams will always get relegated with other teams put in to replace them.

FootballFan

Wow the last few pages were hard to read.

Get over it already guys. Every league is shit.

English PL premfaces stop whining, how many times during the mid and late 2000s did people have to put up with "durr 18 English teams in the CL semifinals, so good. all da best playerz here. ur leage sucks". The Championship is boring shit every time I switch it on too, as are all the bottom 15 teams in the EPL.

Bundesliga babies, your league has 18 teams. 16 that no-one even knows exist. No they aren't good. They are shit teams which remind me of the Eredivisie(which is also another shit league).

Serie A is a 1 team league with some of the most boring as shit games, Juve will be winning that league for at least another season, most likely two. Worst part is, they will win it easily, yet they themselves suck ass. "Serie A teams don't try in Europa" is a shit excuse. Serie A teams get eliminated because they aren't good enough. Every other club in Europe advances with their B teams just fine.

La Liga is a fucking joke too. Literally 2 huge cunts stealing everyone's money. Most La Liga "fans" can't name 2 players from each team below 3rd on the table. Some didn't even know where Isco plays until he transferred. A disgrace, Bale's weekly wage is more than most teams paid for any player. Sickening. Their domination reminds me of Midtyland in Danish league.

Portuguese league, other than creating Ronaldo, Mourinho and winning the CL in 2004, has brought nothing to football in decades. Every team's dream now is to win the Europa League, says it all.

Russian PL is almost just as bad, seriously, what is the point of the league now that Loskov has retired and Anzhi sold the old man. Would rather watch Vicelich play passes with Winston Reid.

And how about that French league? Just kidding, no one cares. Doesn't even deserve to be bold/underlined.

/rant over

I will die for FootballGAFs sins. Remember me as a cu

Blablurn

Wow the last few pages were hard to read.

Get over it already guys. Every league is shit.

English PL premfaces stop whining, how many times during the mid and late 2000s did people have to put up with "durr 18 English teams in the CL semifinals, so good. all da best playerz here. ur leage sucks". The Championship is boring shit every time I switch it on too, as are all the bottom 15 teams in the EPL.

Bundesliga babies, your league has 18 teams. 16 that no-one even knows exist. No they aren't good. They are shit teams which remind me of the Eredivisie(which is also another shit league).

Serie A is a 1 team league with some of the most boring as shit games, Juve will be winning that league for at least another season, most likely two. Worst part is, they will win it easily, yet they themselves suck ass. "Serie A teams don't try in Europa" is a shit excuse. Serie A teams get eliminated because they aren't good enough. Every other club in Europe advances with their B teams just fine.

La Liga is a fucking joke too. Literally 2 huge cunts stealing everyone's money. Most La Liga "fans" can't name 2 players from each team below 3rd on the table. Some didn't even know where Isco plays until he transferred. A disgrace, Bale's weekly wage is more than most teams paid for any player. Sickening. Their domination reminds me of Midtyland in Danish league.

Portuguese league, other than creating Ronaldo, Mourinho and winning the CL in 2004, has brought nothing to football in decades. Every team's dream now is to win the Europa League, says it all.

Russian PL is almost just as bad, seriously, what is the point of the league now that Loskov has retired and Anzhi sold the old man. Would rather watch Vicelich play passes with Winston Reid.

And how about that French league? Just kidding, no one cares. Doesn't even deserve to be bold/underlined.

/rant over

I will die for FootballGAFs sins. Remember me as a cu

J-League is where its at. KidA might agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom