• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT16| ''I tried to push him away with my head.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

WJD

Yeah I like lots of games, but MGS has a fuckin dumb crackpot story. 4 was pants.

2 was pretty good tho. Haven't played 1 or 3.

Not gonna disagree there.

That said, I could probably count on one hand how many games I've actually considered to have a relatively solid narrative in recent years. TLOU, Bioshock Infinite and Alan Wake all probably rank quite highly. Love the world and lore of Halo but the storytelling is guff.

Video games are so far behind every other medium.

lol. jack , you know me the longest time here. pls tell them i was always a cunt.

You were better on LCVG.

I still remember when Bla was pretty much the only Bayern fan and everyone would join in with the:

BBAAAYYYEEERRNNNN

Back when Manited were champions of England champions of Europe.

Carbonox

Polygon is nothing but a bunch of monkeys on typewriters. Complete and utter trolls and before editing, their Ground Zeroes review welcomed back Solid Snake who ain't even in it. :lol

They're good at what they do in that they get the hits writing shite. So kudos to them.

subtles

Who are/were your favorite reviewers? I can think of 1UP in it's prime. IGN were another likable bunch.

I haven't spent enough time with the giantbomb to properly assess them.

Diaby is more done than Hargreaves after signing for City.
:lol

The friend I mentioned earlier:

He said he liked the game, it's a nice build up to the PP. His only regret was the price as the game finished before he knew it.

He says you should get it if you don't mind the price, but to wait for a discount closer to the release of the game if you do.

GorillaJu

Its crazy but I dont support that guy anymore. He runied the MGS saga for me and still thinks his work is something special...

He created the MGS saga. How can he "ruin" it? It's his game and not yours. You can disagree with the direction its gone, but it was only ever going this way. Do people blame Johnny Greenwood for ruining Radiohead by completely changing style from OK Computer to Kid A? Yes, some people do actually. Those people are idiots.

Besides, what do you expect out of the game besides what we got? I played through the main GZ mission today and it's exceptional. Complaints about the price and length notwithstanding, it's an extremely well-crafted game.

And where in Kojima's development history has there been precedent to suggest "getting people to pay for a demo" is a norm? Every Metal Gear game to date has been packed with shit to do, secrets to discover, and dozens of ways to go about completing missions. There are also free, non-DLC costumes (which is sadly the exception and not the norm these days), and absurd amounts of research and effort goes into the games. Kojima should be lauded for, until GZ, going above and beyond the requisite effort when creating games.

New ad from our sponsor:
RnezSAal.jpg

Who's better than eleven Russians?
Eleven Bo-Russians!

German humour.

Fuck GZ. MGS3 is one of my favorite games but I'll just wait until the full game comes out.

Also for some reason I'm not that hyped about Infamous. I feel obligated to get it just to have something to play on my PS4 but I'm usually not a fan of non-RPG open world games a la GTA, Just Cause, etc. and, having not played any Infamous game before, that's what it seems like to me.

I might just wind up getting Thief after I finished my current run-through of the series (currently only on Thief Gold right now). I know it's not the best game but I know it's the type of game that I would like.

GorillaJu

I think City still have to be favourites.

City are just as liable to bottle big games as Chelsea, and while Chelsea have a fully fit squad, City are missing their best player. I also think points in hand are worth more than points of games yet to be played. There are no guaranteed wins in football, especially not in the Premier League, and I could see City losing out on a few "easy" fixtures just like Chelsea did at Villa Park.

Jack cw

lol. jack , you know me the longest time here. pls tell them i was always a cunt.

You are the cuntiest cunt I've ever met in my life and the biggest antagonist too. I loved how you held up Bayern GAF basically alone. I love you regardless of the EPL hate ;)
He created the MGS saga. How can he "ruin" it? It's his game and not yours. You can disagree with the direction its gone, but it was only ever going this way. Do people blame Johnny Greenwood for ruining Radiohead by completely changing style from OK Computer to Kid A? Yes, some people do actually. Those people are idiots.

Besides, what do you expect out of the game besides what we got? I played through the main GZ mission today and it's exceptional. Complaints about the price and length notwithstanding, it's an extremely well-crafted game.

And where in Kojima's development history has there been precedent to suggest "getting people to pay for a demo" is a norm? Every Metal Gear game to date has been packed with shit to do, secrets to discover, and dozens of ways to go about completing missions. There are also free, non-DLC costumes (which is sadly the exception and not the norm these days), and absurd amounts of research and effort goes into the games. Kojima should be lauded for, until GZ, going above and beyond the requisite effort when creating games.

This is some of the most silly defense I heard in recent time. Morsel pls.
Of course its OUR game. We are the consumers, we are the target and he soley relies on his fanbase. The reason he works is, because of our money and appreciation. All his daft banter, stupid dialogue and mostly ALL retcons were done, because he forced a rather simply story to something bigger than it could handle and build expectations that he simply couldnt deliver. He tried to be epic and caused legendary plotholes that didnt even need an explanation because of idiocy but he tried to keep the community backlash down by explaining every fucking bit of the saga with a dead end: Nanomachines. His work is up to us to rate and I am disappointed as hell with what he did with the series. Since MGS3, he tries to make the game a Splinter Cell/Gears of War clone, streamlining the stealth with mediocre talented staff that still uses PS2 animation routines. The canon is done. GZ story is basically told for years. We all know that Big Boss went rouge and the Patriots send out his clone to stop him... bla bla bla. He is captured in a creative hole from where he cant escape and the linearity in the previous games was one of the major negatives in gameplay. The map design was small and corridor-like, with some tiresome and repetitive hunting for either frogs or emblems... GZ map is bigger, but still the same repetitive gameplay to extend the play time. Its telling when the final game has to be funded on demo sales.

/rant

German humour.

More like "der Westen" humor.
Not a single German would bring such a bad pun to the media.

phaze

"The weekend marked a significant date - March 16 was exactly one year to the day since Abou Diaby played his last game for Arsenal.

The unlucky Frenchman would go onto suffer a cruciate knee ligament injury, the latest in a catalogue of problems for the 27-year-old.

It was reported at the time he would be out until the end of 2013, and three months into the new year there is barely a sight of him.

Yet could that be about to change? It is being reported by Ligue 1 journalist Matt Spiro that the Arsenal midfielder has given an interview to France Football magazine that he intends to fight for his footballing future.

The midfielder is yet to return to training, with Arsene Wenger stating in January: "His recovery is going slowly, he is still on a long-term recovery programme."

It's near impossible to imagine he will play again this season, despite the ArsenalReport.com Injury Room stating he is scheduled to return to training in three weeks.

French manager Didier Deschamps stated in October the door was still open for him to make the World Cup squad if he could win his fitness battle, but that looks to have passed him by.

Even if he does return to training, he certainly won't be rushed into the first team by Arsene Wenger this season with plenty of options at their disposal, even with injuries to Jack Wilshere and Aaron Ramsey.

For Diaby, it's going to be all about getting fit for pre-season, and the next campaign. In the summer of 2015 he will be out of contract, and if he does not have better luck next year, it could be his final shot at Arsenal. The chronic bad luck he has suffered means surely he deserves some success more than anybody.

Will Diaby ever play again for Arsenal?"

---

I'm gonna guess
no

Eh I think he'll still get a few minutes, then injure himself once more. Only this time he won't recover before the end of contract. Poor guy, I hope he has some plans for the future.

subtles

I'm surprised Chelsea are so high up the table considering the fact that they created almost half has many clear chances as us + City.

That Mou.

GorillaJu

This is some of the most silly defense I heard in recent time. Morsel pls.
Of course its OUR game. We are the consumers, we are the target and he soley relies on his fanbase. The reason he works is, because of our money and appreciation. All his daft banter, stupid dialogue and mostly ALL retcons were done, because he forced a rather simply story to something bigger than it could handle and build expectations that he simply couldnt deliver. He tried to epic and caused legendary plotholes that didnt even need an explanation but he tried to keep the community backlash down by explaining every fucking bit of the saga with a dead end: Nanomachines. His work is up to us to rate and I am disappointed as hell with what he did with the series. Since MGS3, he tries to make the game a Splinter Cell/Gears of War clone, streamlining the stealth with mediocre talented staff that still uses PS2 animation routines. The canon is done. GZ story is basically told for years. We all know, that Big Boss went rouge and the Patriots send out his clone to stop him... bla bla bla. He is captured in a creative hole from where he cant escape and the linearity in the previous games was one of the major negatives in gameplay. The map design was small and corridor-like, with some tiresome and repetitive hunting for either frogs or emblems... Its telling when the final game has to be funded on demo sales.

/rant

The minute that an artist, director or whoever concedes ownership of his or her project to audience is the minute the project no longer becomes worthwhile. The audience pays for what the director creates. The only thing he owes to his fans is to work to the best of his abilities. It's the same in everything and not just games. If I go see the next Tarantino movie, I pay to see it because I want to see what Tarantino can create. It's not his job to satisfy my specific wants and needs or create the movie I want him to create. He has established an expectation of quality in his movies, so I'll always want to see his next one.

Not everyone likes Tarantino. Not everyone likes Kojima. But instead of making base arguments about how he "ruined" the series for you, other people tend to accept that they don't always agree with the artistic direction a director takes, and it doesn't have a destructive effect on their appreciation for their earlier work.

Who gives a shit about story retcons or plot holes? MGS stories are silly as fuck, they're cheesy homages to classic action movies and cliche tropes. Yet Kojima's larger points are prescient, and there's deep commentary about games and gamers as well as the stuff about meme theory, private militaries, etc. That shit isn't effected by retcons - the retcons happen because he needs to re-shape the story in areas to serve the greater purpose.

And let's just clear something up. Metal Gear Solid, the original, featured a group of rogue agents holding the president hostage with a bipedal nuclear-armed tank. It features such quotes as "do you think love can bloom on the battle field?" The theme of "maintaining humanity in war" has been the overarching idea and that's never changed. It's been nuts since day one.

Lastly, all Metal Gear Solids have also all had a combination of linear, corridor-like levels as well as sprawling levels that take time to traverse. MGS, as a series, is player-versus-level, not player-versus-enemy, and the first game was the most linear of the bunch. MGS2 had bigger levels than MGS, MGS3's boards were giant compared to MGS2's, and they've only gotten progressively bigger. I don't understand your argument about linearity. But then again I don't really understand any of your argument, it looks like you're just making things up to support the hate bandwagon.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Tottenham could be without a single senior centre-back for Thursday’s Europa League match at Benfica after Younes Kaboul picked up a knock in the derby defeat against Arsenal.

Kaboul is understood to be a doubt for the trip to Portugal after reporting discomfort this week.

The exact nature of the problem is unknown but the France international has suffered calf trouble frequently since returning from a serious knee injury a year ago, interrupting his attempts to re-establish himself as a first-team regular. If Kaboul, 28, is unfit to play in Lisbon, where Spurs must overturn a 3-1 deficit from the home leg if they are to qualify for the quarter-finals, head coach Tim Sherwood faces an emergency in central defence.

-_-

I'm surprised Chelsea are so high up the table considering the fact that they created almost half has many clear chances as us + City.

That Mou.

Chelsea have the best defence and in general there is usually a stronger correlation between fewest goals conceeded and position in the table then there is between goals scored and position in the table.
Not sure where you are getting your stats from but it might also be because clear chances is a bit of a subjective statistic. In terms of the number of shots Chelsea are up there with City and Liverpool (according to whoscored).

Don't wanna sound like a pedant Morsel but I think it was MGS2 where the President was held hostage. The President at the time of MGS1 was actually Solidus Snake.

/nerd

MGS is pretty ridiculous.

Hixx

It's two and a half hours long ffs. No action film needs to be that long.

The best moment is the kid with the fucking mullet and that is in the first 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom