• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT16| ''I tried to push him away with my head.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwarb

Liverpool aren't winning the league. You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment. Just like I want Arsenal to win it, but the FA cup really is our realistic chance for a trophy. Think City pips it in the end, they have no more distractions like CL and FA Cup.

While there's a chance there's a hope. I don't mind setting myself up for disappointment. I'm just amazed it's still on with 9 games left, after finishing 7th with 61 points last season.

We might fall down in the next game, so enjoy it while it lasts.

subtles

Where does Jack say he expects the game to be tailored to his whims? Or that he expects to dictate what he wants based on paying for previous instalments?
Look, I am honestly tired of this.

Read the discussion he had with Morsel.

He said he didn't particularly like Old Kojima but the new direction especially had him peeved. Morsel raised the point of creative liberty, he stated it was OUR game.

Interpret their discussion however you will. Infer whatever you like.

Meier

It is different.

There is a different culture around soccer than there is with American Football.

The sports are structured so differently in such fundamental ways that what you expect from your club can be very different.

That's not to say United fans aren't spoilt. They are. But the comparison to US sports isn't what proves it, it's a misnomer.

I agree that the structure of the leagues is very different and this can result in differing expectations, but even the absolute best teams in American sports (New England Patriots, LA Lakers, Boston Celtics, New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Miami Heat, etc.) who have sky high expectations miss out the majority of the time. Hell, the Red Sox went about 85 years without winning one! It's very cyclical here -- none of the Boston teams were relevant for many years until about 10 years ago when they all flipped a switch. Most people in the US will follow multiple pro leagues (and college sports) and will live their whole life without their team ever winning a title let alone 10+ in their lifetime. o_O Here are the titles I've experienced in my lifetime (almost 31 years):

Orlando Magic: 0
Tampa Bay Bucs: 1 (2002)
LA Dodgers: 1 (1988)

At least my college team has won 3 though. That's quite atypical. Even when FSU was the best college football team in the US, we still only won 2 titles in a 14 year period of finishing in the top 4. That was mostly down to bad luck (probably should have won 4 or 5) but it illustrates how difficult it is.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'll be at the Bridge tonight. I've supported Chelsea my whole life, but as a Turk Galatasaray are my second-team. Despite Chelsea being the reason I started to watch football in my childhood (Zola, Gudjohnsen, Hasselbaink etc.) I think ethnic ties will come first tonight. Chelsea will likely win a CL again soon, but will Galatasaray even make the knockouts again in the years ahead? Probably not.

I'll be seated near the Galatasaray fans, a deafening awaits. Wish I could join in with the chants but I don't want to get banned from the Bridge after being a member for the last 14 years lol.

Ingeniero

I'll be at the Bridge tonight. I've supported Chelsea my whole life, but as a Turk Galatasaray are my second-team. Despite Chelsea being the reason I started to watch football in my childhood (Zola, Gudjohnsen, Hasselbaink etc.) I think ethnic ties will come first tonight. Chelsea will likely win a CL again soon, but will Galatasaray even make the knockouts again in the years ahead? Probably not.

I'll be seated near the Galatasaray fans, a deafening awaits.
Have fun mate.
I hope Gala advances too.
Good luck.

There's a good chance my sperm has died due to the relentless kick in the balls this season has been

Who will carry on my legacy

Who will tell the tale of the pale orc

There is one who can impregnate you. They call him the greatest footballer of all time, never again will we bare witness to his talents. He is the hero of humanity, the one we all aspire to be. He will walk the road to saviour and we will follow at his feet. He is:

SNea8ET.png

Elchele

Buying only Infamous this week off the US PSN store. Dem cheaper (than UK) games.

I always wondered, do games in UK get a different voice/dub than the american version? We finally are getting Latam spanish dub in games, after many years of english only or some others with (even worse) spaniard dubbing.

We fired Klinsmann after we got thrashed by Barca in the first leg and we were in a better position in the league. Although to be fair, we had to fire him. He made Udo Lattek cry.

ibhax3b2PYVPpw.gif

no. i like the attention i get from you with every post.

:lol

He could be honest and admit his failure and retire if he has balls.
Like Klinsmann or van Gaal.

Like Keller innit

TrueBlue

It's not going to be pretty without both Ramires and Willian. Fuck you Ramires.

Aye, still don't know what Ramires was thinking. Can we appeal the Willian decision?

In any case, Arsenal are suffering a few injuries as well. Say what you like about players like Ozil and Walcott, but I'm glad they're not playing.

It's gonna be nerve-wracking as hell either way. Sorta hope we play a conservative line-up tonight since we'll only have four days of rest. League is more important than the CL to me this year, easily.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Have fun mate.
I hope Gala advances too.
Good luck.

Thank you. It's a weird feeling. In every other week I'm singing Carefree and wanting the Chelsea to dominate. I watch every game, I don't even follow GS regularly unless it's a big game. But today it feels weird. It will be the first time in over a 100 Chelsea games I've gone to that I'll be rooting for the opposition.

On the bright side it'd make the league schedule easier if we could clear CL out the way :p.

TrueBlue

I'll be seated near the Galatasaray fans, a deafening awaits. Wish I could join in with the chants but I don't want to get banned from the Bridge after being a member for the last 14 years lol.

Have fun! Hopefully the atmosphere will be good tonight. The return of Drogba should ensure that.

That reminds me, I haven't been to the Bridge since my 18th. I'm 21 in September, perhaps I should start sweet-talking my Dad now,

Aye, still don't know what Ramires was thinking. Can we appeal the Willian decision?

In any case, Arsenal are suffering a few injuries as well. Say what you like about players like Ozil and Walcott, but I'm glad they're not playing.

It's gonna be nerve-wracking as hell either way. Sorta hope we play a conservative line-up tonight since we'll only have four days of rest. League is more important than the CL to me this year, easily.

The Willian one is harsh, but I doubt anything will come out of appealing it. Hope Ramires gets fined by the club though, fucking idiotic twat.

Blablurn

One final question about Metal Gear Solid history.

Is Miller from Ground Zeroes that same Master Miller we saw in MGS1????
I played those games multiple times but I was never sure if that was confirmed.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Have fun! Hopefully the atmosphere will be good tonight. The return of Drogba should ensure that.

That reminds me, I haven't been to the Bridge since my 18th. I'm 21 in September, perhaps I should start sweet-talking my Dad now,

Damn I got so caught up in my own personal feelings towards this match that I forgot about Didier's return! Last time I saw him in the flesh was when we lost 2-0 to Newcastle, when Cisse scored that ridiculous goal (Happened right in front of me, I stood up and clapped lol).

I kind of know how your feeling. This will only be my 2nd game this season. That's the lowest number of games I've been to in 14 seasons of supporting Chelsea. Thank fuck I managed to score tickets for this game of all games though.

If you can go to any of the remaining games you're in for a treat, title run-ins are always special no matter the opposition.

Old news probably but confirmed by Arsenal now

Ramsey, Cazorla and Zelalem all signed new contracts

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140318/cazorla-ramsey-zelalem-sign-contracts

shottas-o.gif

Ramsey on 100k a week now?

Edit:
One final question about Metal Gear Solid history.

Is Miller from Ground Zeroes that same Master Miller we saw in MGS1????
I played those games multiple times but I was never sure if that was confirmed.

Yes.

subtles

Someone on Twitter is finding out how many times the game can be completed (speed run) while the really long MGS4 cutscene plays.

TrueBlue

Liverpool have been outstanding, in this, the year of Luigi.

How weird it'd be to discover that Liverpool's form is inextricably tied to Luigi, particularly since the year ends today/tomorrow.

Damn I got so caught up in my own personal feelings towards this match that I forgot about Didier's return! Last time I saw him in the flesh was when we lost 2-0 to Newcastle, when Cisse scored that ridiculous goal (Happened right in front of me, I stood up and clapped lol).

I kind of know how your feeling. This will only be my 2nd game this season. That's the lowest number of games I've been to in 14 seasons of supporting Chelsea. Thank fuck I managed to score tickets for this game of all games though.

If you can go to any of the remaining games you're in for a treat, title run-ins are always special no matter the opposition.

I love going to the Bridge, it's just a matter of cost and time for me. Say what you want about the atmosphere (which to be frank, can be pretty dire at times). but there's nothing like going to the ground and being among your fellow fans. Always a laugh to be had, at least for me.

I'll try. The problem is that, in the middle of essay/exam squeak bum time, i don't really want to leave anything to chance. :/

Wilbur

Banned
Meanwhile, Willbur says things....

Just ordered Nokia 515. Can't wait!

http://cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/nokia/nokia-515-1.jpg[/mg]

[spoiler] Yeah, fuck Smart phone[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

"roberto martinez is leading us into the future

meanwhile i will buy a phone that kids get in toys r us"

Clegg

Someone on Twitter is finding out how many times the game can be completed (speed run) while the really long MGS4 cutscene plays.
Which really long cutscene, there's a few in MGS4?

liquid controlling his infantry with his fingers?

We need someone who can replace Cazorla on the left. I also think next season Ox is going to put Wilshere on the bench.

Ox should get more games on the left, really. He always plays well there, is potentially devastating when in full flow, and is still too raw to be playing at CM for us, regardless of Wilshere's form. Ox's passing isn't up to snuff in that area of the pitch and he lacks Jack's (and Aaron's) vision.

Wanna see us go for a right-winger (Alexis Sanchez is the
pipe
dream) this summer. I like Theo, but a club our size shouldn't be relying on him in the way we do.

to be fair, he's a good player. He probably would have a 25M price tag if he played in La Liga or EPL. Obviously not on Lewa's level but who is? Falcao, Costa and Ibra?

Adrian Ramos is an all in all average player that had his first great season in a top league at age 28.

He's fucking shite

RaikuHebi

Banned
How weird it'd be to discover that Liverpool's form is inextricably tied to Luigi, particularly since the year ends today/tomorrow.

I love going to the Bridge, it's just a matter of cost and time for me. Say what you want about the atmosphere (which to be frank, can be pretty dire at times). but there's nothing like going to the ground and being among your fellow fans. Always a laugh to be had, at least for me.

I'll try. The problem is that, in the middle of essay/exam squeak bum time, i don't really want to leave anything to chance. :/

Your point about atmosphere is why I'm looking forward to tonight so much. I go on holiday to Turkey every Summer but unfortunately haven't been able to go to a Galatasaray game in recent years (I've been once when I was little before I liked football). Last year I missed out on tickets to their friendly with Arsenal at the Emirates. So this is an absolute dream come true to finally experience that atmosphere, and I'm only 15 seats away from their fans!

Also the Bridge is only loud at CL games or VS big Prem teams, but away matches are always fantastic. My fondest memories and loudest games have usually been away (while we're on subject of Drogba I was at the game where he banged in that winner at Everton). I was also at Moscow :( unfortunately couldn't get a ticket for Munich.

Cost is the exact same reason why me and my Dad have been going less and less the last few seasons (he used to have a season ticket in the late 90s). I'm hopeful that I'll get a job soon and start saving for my own season ticket :p.

jtb

Banned
Ox shouldn't play in the middle, imo. We are already overloaded with talent there and the one player we're lacking (a long term Flamini replacement/upgrade) is not a role Ox can fill. anyways, his strengths are his pace and general technical ability; his passing is far too inconsistent to be relied upon in the middle.

would be nice to get a really good wide player to play on the left, but an Ox - good striker - Theo front line is pacy, offers some goal threat; we can do a lot worse than that.

Old news probably but confirmed by Arsenal now

Ramsey, Cazorla and Zelalem all signed new contracts

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140318/cazorla-ramsey-zelalem-sign-contracts

Fantastic. love that they're actually being proactive in locking up this core of players, instead of running down their contracts and then acting shocked when they sign elsewhere

though I suspect Darren Dein had a lot to do with that last part also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom