• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the squad we don't really have a player that can carry the ball up the field with the same conviction as Coutinho. The speed at which our play transitions when he's on the ball isn't even matched by Sterling's pace imo.

Yeah. When Sterling runs past someone, they're instantly at his back as they've anticipated it and got themselves side-on before it happens. Coutinho does his little shimmies though, and that half-second it takes for a player to turn around 180 degrees and change their direction of movement is all it takes for him to have made space of 10 yards in all directions. His inconsistency is quite bizarre at the moment. He just turns it on randomly this season, and then fails to perform in games where both teams' setups are theoretically suited for him to succeed.

K1LLER7

481279251-shinji-kagawa-of-manchester-united-in-action-gettyimages.jpg

o

Well they're more than capable of causing problems anyway

I think Shinji's gonna start Tuesday, play as ineffectually as the rest of the team, get the blame in the media while Rooney avoids it, and not play for the rest of the season.

Looking forward to it.

Do you want Moyes to stay if you narrowly lose the CL final?

K1LLER7

Wilbur pls. We will beat Bayern. They couldn't even beat Hoffenheim.

---

David Moyes has praised diminutive duo Juan Mata and Shinji Kagawa for their performances in the 4-1 success against Aston Villa on Saturday.

The classy schemers started a game together for only the second time to help inspire a fabulous comeback, swapping positions and passing the ball with penetration and intelligence.

Kagawa, who performed superbly against Bayern Munich in his Borussia Dortmund days, could have played himself in contention for a starting role in the midweek Champions League encounter with Mata, who scored his first goal for the club, cup-tied.

"I think Mata is popular with the fans and the players because everyone can see what a good footballer he is," explained Moyes to MUTV. "I think he’s played well and really helped us and his goals were one of the reasons why we wanted to sign him.

"He’s always had a record of scoring goals and I thought he came very close against West Ham. There were signs that it was coming and, thankfully, he got his first today.

"I'm glad with Shinji. I thought he played very well at West Ham, too, but he made a very good pass to Juan for the penalty kick [on Saturday]. I want see more from Shinji in those moments because he's a very good footballer. He is technically gifted and can create good situations. It was also an excellent pass [for Wayne Rooney's header]."

Play them more often Moyseh!!!

K1LLER7

Young needs to train with one of those cones they put on dogs. Make it so he actually can't look down at the ball.
Loool you know he'll still find a way. Can't believe he's still starting games.

Villa fan I was talking to says "Yougie is class, would take him back."

Send him back Moyseh

Wilbur

Banned
Do you want Moyes to stay if you narrowly lose the CL final?

I would rather Moyes succeed with us than we sack him and bring someone else in who succeeds. I'm pulling for him to turn it around and prove he can do the job.

I just don't think he's capable. Everything came up Milhouse for him this week; fans were great, no one's really taken him to task over criticising Fergie in a way and tapping up players :lol, a big win masked a poor performance.

If you could guarantee me he was going to succeed and you have me the choice between him and Klopp, I'd pick him; not because I like him more but because it would show Fergie was right to pick him, he's learnt from mistakes, grown as a coach and a manager, etc. I just don't think he will be able to.

So

Short answer :lol

Don't think so. Depends who replaces him though.

Not surprised Liverpool brings out the scum in the football world to top levels.

Steven-Gerrard-Alonso-Arbeloa-Liverpool-Real-_1984604.jpg
The dream you lost.

Alonso won the big one with Liverpool, and he'll end his Madrid career with a paltry La Liga title and a couple of irrelevant CdRs. He was better-looking at Liverpool as well.

You idiots are living the dream with your attacking options, and you have fuck all to show for it.

Do one.

It genuinely annoys me that Gerrard/Alonso/Mascherano never won anything. That was a ridiculously good centre-midfield

Wilbur

Banned
Ancelotti :)

Shaw, Rakitic, Kroos, Reus.

-------------DeGea
Raf----Jones---Evans---Shaw
-------Kroos------Rak
----Reus----Mata----Kagawa
-------------Wayne

Adnan too

The things that i would do to mine own orifices if this happened would be enough to get me incarcerated

subtles

Ancelotti :)

Shaw, Rakitic, Kroos, Reus.

-------------DeGea
Raf----Jones---Evans---Shaw
-------Kroos------Rak
----Reus----Mata----Kagawa
-------------Wayne

Adnan too
Don't do this to me Sal. You can have Klopp and any selection of players you please. All I need is reus. I cried myself to sleep every night watching him at Gladbach while we splurged on Carroll.

I just saw some of the highlights from Espanyol - Barcelona yesterday. The only right thing done yesterday was to give Casilla a red card for what he did outside the box.

Neymar handled a ball which went against Javi Lopez arm and instead of giving Neymar a yellow card and Espanyol a FK Barca gets a penalty.

Another incident was when Neymar and Javi Lopez were chasing the ball. Mascherano comes from inside the box, jumps past Lopez and put his arm out and slaps him in the face. Whether it was a penalty or not is very hard to say. Looking at the replays Mascherano does make the first contact with Javi Lopez outside the box but keeps pushing his arm as Lopez steps in the box. Deciding if it was a pen might not have been an easy decision for the ref but the least you'd expect is a FK for Espanyol and Mascherano sent off, not only for a late challenge but for not even having a good opportunity of cutting in between Neymar and Lopez to get the ball and intentionally slapping Lopez. So what did the ref do? Nothing, he told them to play on.

You can't make this shit up, another ref-handed victory in a big clash for Barca :lol

For those interested the the video of this incident is (unfortunately) only available at Marca but let's focus on the content and not the source.

Didn't Ramos escape a red card yesterday?

jbdQifJg9S0iCS.jpg

Salazar

Don't do this to me Sal. You can have Klopp and any selection of players you please. All I need is reus. I cried myself to sleep every night watching him at Gladbach while we splurged on Carroll.

Dunno.

If we're "not going to pay anywhere near" Willy C's clause, then someone else will. CB and LB and CM reinforcements/replacements will do nicely, but we're still crushingly short of confident pace and supply from the wings.

And I know the Bebe post is coming, you spenk

K1LLER7

I just feel like Reus has United player written all over his face. He has the look.
I just want to see:
----------- De GOAT -------------
Rafa - Jones - Evans - Shaw

----- Big WillyC - Kroos --------

--- Adnan - Mata - Kagawa ---

------------ Rooney ---------------

Evans > Garay

K1LLER7

Dunno.

If we're "not going to pay anywhere near" Willy C's clause, then someone else will. CB and LB and CM reinforcements/replacements will do nicely, but we're still crushingly short of confident pace and supply from the wings.

Bebe deserves a chance. He's got something special.

LegoArmo

I don't think anyone will pay Carvalho's release clause, PSG are the only team stupid enough to, and I think they might be a bit more concious of FFP in the coming transfer windows.

Or Monaco, but would he want to go to them? I think he'll push for a move to United due to dat agent.

subtles

Dunno.

Do you ever remember your dreams? At a time pre-Moyes when they were not about wanting the manager out? Surely you have some degree of empathy. The world is riddled with Wingers. I don't expect Moyes to solve much but Gaitan is surely waiting for that call.

I used to dream about a Favre/Reus dream team at Anfield. Reality has turned out better than any expectations I had for the former. I can understand if Reus went to another league but I couldn't fathom the thought of watching him in the PL in another team's colors.

It's weird. I don't care about any other player (elsewhere) to the same degree.

Suen

Didn't Ramos escape a red card yesterday?

jbdQifJg9S0iCS.jpg
Did it happen yesterday? I didn't see most of the game. Hard to judge from a picture but if it's what I think it is he should have been sent off (and this time for a very good reason). The score wouldn't have changed much, we might not have had as many goals (depending on when that happened) but in the end we played much better and none of our goals were scored in a controversial manner; we would have gotten three points regardless. There, now you can go back to focusing on my post again on how Barca won a game through a pen that wasn't even legit, you're more than welcome to make a new post about ref favoring Madrid in the game against Vallecano. If you aren't interested in doing that then board a plane and show that Moyes banner.

LegoArmo

Do United need 1 centre back or 2 in the summer then?

Garay, Inigo Martinez seem like realistic options. City will probably be back in for Mangala, and he'd cost twice as much.

Trust in Jones, Evans and Smalling, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom