• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fintan

Everton's last foray into the CL was hilarious, I'd be curious to see how they cope. Wouldn't they get a nasty qualifier due to their coefficient?

Yeah, most likely. Maybe a run in the Europa League first would be good, boost their coefficient. Who could they end up with? Lille? Bilbao? Napoli>

GorillaJu

You guys are severely underestimating the brilliant tactics of Tim Sherwood. He's going to celebrate like the hero at the end of a kids action movie. It's going to make us all vomit with rage.

iIsPOlj11s9TZ.gif

jesalr

Dembele was part of the reason we went 2-0 down last weekend. Not enough energy, wasn't pressing, Siggurdson on the other hand got stuck in. Sandro on the other hand, not sure why he's benched.

Wilbur

Banned
Zidane/Rivaldo/Maradona/Ronaldinho all have done defence splitting passes as good, if not better, than that Messi pass. But they also offer so much more

Hard for me to comment on Maradona seeing as I never saw him live, and even Rivaldo was 500 years old by the time I started watching football regularly. But I think taking everything into account - aesthetics, technical skill, effectiveness and efficiency, match winners, big game players, goal scoring and assisting, absolute importance to great teams - Messi is better than Ronaldo and Zidane. All he's missing is a World Cup to confirm that 100% for me (well not for me, I already think so; but it certainly helps his case!)

Zidane is one of the very greatest players of all time and I loved watching him, but Messi for me as a complete package is better. Still so young as well.

L1NETT

United mob who follow transfers closely, how likely is it Cleverley goes this summer and for how much?

We get 10-20% (ish, might be around 10)...so please offload him sharpish, we could do with a boost to the wage budget.

The pass at the start of that highlights reel is far more impressive to me than a rabona or a chest pass, both in terms of aesthetic beauty and efficiency.

Yep

Showboating and gymnastic spectacularism has its place, but Messi is like a machine with the consistency of his quality. Intelligence, reactions, forethought, calmness, timing, vision.

He has it all in his head, before you even get started on his dribbling, passing and finishing ability, which are all among the top 5 in the world imo

LegoArmo

United mob who follow transfers closely, how likely is it Cleverley goes this summer and for how much?

We get 10-20% (ish, might be around 10)...so please offload him sharpish, we could do with a boost to the wage budget.

£3m to like... Sunderland? If Ki goes back to Swansea maybe they'd be looking.

Wilbur

Banned
Just spent ten minutes reading the 06/07 wiki page. Dat 7-1 Roma win. Hnnnggghhhhh.

God I loved that squad. VDS, Nev, Patty and Heinze, Rooney when he wasn't a cunt, Saha, Park, Larsson, OLE <3333

Huh?! they did all messi does and more besides. Maradona ran past defenders too, gave assists too, scored goals too

How did they do 'more'? Hopefully that doesn't come across as condescending, genuinely curious.

Don't think he'll leave at all. Relatively young, English... That means he'd cost a fair amount for anyone to buy him, and I don't think we could offload him to many.

GorillaJu

It's impossible to say who is the best player of all time because they always come in different eras and generations. The rules have changed little by little, the styles have changed, the weight and flight of the ball have changed. You can't measure someone from the 70s vs someone from the modern era.

I think the best way you can compare players is by comparing their influence on their respective generation. Messi is the player of his generation. We're in the Messi years.

I'd like to think he's gone. I don't think he will go for much because he doesn't have long left on his contract I think. That and he's complete shit. I can see him going back to Wigan for a few million.

Blackhead

Redarse
Hard for me to comment on Maradona seeing as I never saw him live, and even Rivaldo was 500 years old by the time I started watching football regularly. But I think taking everything into account - aesthetics, technical skill, effectiveness and efficiency, match winners, big game players, goal scoring and assisting, absolute importance to great teams - Messi is better than Ronaldo and Zidane. All he's missing is a World Cup to confirm that 100% for me (well not for me, I already think so; but it certainly helps his case!)

Zidane is one of the very greatest players of all time and I loved watching him, but Messi for me as a complete package is better. Still so young as well.
aesthetics and technical skill Messi is behind Maradona/Zidane/Ronaldinho. I listed a bunch of stuff that those three did that Messi rarely, if ever, does.

What Maradona did for Napoli and Argentina is something that Messi hasn't even come close to matching. It would be the equivalent of Messi going to Spurs and dragging them to a Premier League title. In terms of big match Zidane was up there with the World Cup and Champions League final goals.

Hixx

Lee Cattermole is like Makelele mixed with Pirlo the yin and yang of the holding midfield role.

Ergo he is the player of his generation.

L1NETT

I'd like to think he's gone. I don't think he will go for much because he doesn't have long left on his contract I think. That and he's complete shit. I can see him going back to Wigan for a few million.

Don't think Wigan have that much to spare :p

Hopefully some prem club snaps him up (as Wilbz said, inflated English cost)...is 6m optimistic?

And even Moyes' and the staff can see he clearly isn't cut out for top 4 football. Decent prem player, but nowt at that level.

6m to QPR. Come on 'Arry.

Wilbur

Banned
It's impossible to say who is the best player of all time because they always come in different eras and generations. The rules have changed little by little, the styles have changed, the weight and flight of the ball have changed. You can't measure someone from the 70s vs someone from the modern era.

I think the best way you can compare players is by comparing their influence on their respective generation. Messi is the player of his generation. We're in the Messi years.

Barney Ronay wrote a little piece on Xavi a few weeks ago. Can't remember exactly but I'm sure it was something along the lines of 'if Messi is the best across all generations, Xavi is the one who defines this generation in terms of style'

Yen

Hopefully some prem club snaps him up (as Wilbz said, inflated English cost)...is 6m optimistic?

And even Moyes' and the staff can see he clearly isn't cut out for top 4 football. Decent prem player, but nowt at that level.

Why "hopefully"?

Sane_Man

aesthetics and technical skill Messi is behind Maradona/Zidane/Ronaldinho. I listed a bunch of stuff that those three did that Messi rarely, if ever, does.

What Maradona did for Napoli and Argentina is something that Messi hasn't even come close to matching. It would be the equivalent of Messi going to Spurs and dragging them to a Premier League title. In terms of big match Zidane was up there with the World Cup and Champions League final goals.

Genuinely think Messi would make any top 6 side automatically the best in the league.

'Arry is mad enough to do it as well.

How did they do 'more'? Hopefully that doesn't come across as condescending, genuinely curious.

Maybe he meant more as in variety. Players can say they have the ability to give a through ball like Messi, but there's not many that can do it as frequently as he does. There's a reason why his assist numbers are always so high.

Messi can never do what Maradona did. If Messi went to the Serie A and carried a club to a league title, people would say Serie A isn't that strong anymore.

Besides, it was a different time period back then. Verona won back then as well. They were in completely different situations and it's unfair to both to compare their club accomplishments.

Having said that, when it comes to passing I think it's known that Maradona was superior.

GorillaJu

Barney Ronay wrote a little piece on Xavi a few weeks ago. Can't remember exactly but I'm sure it was something along the lines of 'if Messi is the best across all generations, Xavi is the one who defines this generation in terms of style'

Yeah I agree if we're talking about style. Xavi is the midfielder who all managers want their midfielders to imitate. I don't think they're telling their players to be like Messi though, because that'd just be a lost cause.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Platini makes plea to FIFA to ban third party owners

What Maradona did for Napoli and Argentina is something that Messi hasn't even come close to matching
not only that, Maradona managed to carry them above Platini's Juve.

Platini, the true GOAT of football.

Fuck Barney, Michael Cox picked Pirlo.

Wilbur

Banned
Platini makes plea to FIFA to ban third party owners

not only that, Maradona managed to carry them above Platini's Juve.

Platini, the true GOAT of football.

Fuck Barney, Michael Cox picked Pirlo.

:lol I think Pirlo's just as good as Xavi to be honest. Different styles, Xavi's played in a better team, but equally as brilliant as each other. Probably the two best midfielders of this generation (although how far back does that stretch? Those two and Zidane? Or Alan Smith when Fergie played him as DM?)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
:lol I think Pirlo's just as good as Xavi to be honest. Different styles, Xavi's played in a better team, but equally as brilliant as each other. Probably the two best midfielders of this generation (although how far back does that stretch? Those two and Zidane? Or Alan Smith when Fergie played him as DM?)

Pirlo is better

and he's still doing it

please, look at Xavi's eyebrows. That can't be the eyebrows of the most important player in this generation

the real answer is VIDAL

Jarnet87

Saw a rumor that Everton are interested in him. Makes sense. Martinez got a pretty good performance out of him at Wigan from what people said. Wouldn't shock me if we keep him. Moyes is a fool who values English players like they are gold.

Huh?! they did all messi does and more besides. Maradona ran past defenders too, gave assists too, scored goals too

Messi has scored more, assisted more and with the exception of a world cup has won more titles than any of the other aforementioned players and is only 27. Just because you can play a pass with your arse doesn't automatically qualify you as being a better player.

Messi can do the tricks and flicks (if you've ever seen him train) but doesn't bother doing them in games because more often than not they slow down the game and don't come off. For every Rabona that leads to a goal there are umpteen that don't. Messi is the best player of all time because he is brutally efficient at everything he does and he doesn't need to embellish it with showboating for YouTube videos and highlight reels. I've watched Rivaldo, Zidane, Baggio, OG Ronaldo and Messi is the best player I've ever seen and the most exciting to watch. And what really stands him out is his consistency. Those other players were great, but were far less consistent than Messi.

Only OG Ronaldo pre 98 WC could touch him. Maradona was as skilful as Messi but wasn't as good a finisher, wasn't as fast and allowed his private life to distract from his on field performances. And certainly wasn't as consistent. In addition Maradona was genuinely one footed. Messi's right foot is a lot better than he's given credit for.

Mastadon

Banned
By the way, the BBC had an extended interview with Sterling on yesterday. He said that he only has one child, and the rest is internet rumours.

I'm so sorry Raheem.

Suen

loooool this Parma team is killing me, so many opportunities to win the game and we fuck it upp Biashit.

oh my god Palladino now...three opportunities with clear chance to score goal and all of them failed...in less than one minute.

Yurt kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom