• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastadon

Banned
If you think Liverpool don't have status as a club your either a troll or someone who considers the last 10 years as the entirety of football history.

Even if you do only take the last 10 years, we've still been in two CL finals.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

The problem with going for Reus is that Dortmund are almost certainly losing Gundogan this summer and won't sell their other star man.

And in some freak event that he actually becomes available there'll be bigger and richer clubs who'll outbid you in an instant.
Reus definitely won't be sold this year.

They've already lost Lewandowski and like you say, Gundogan will probably be going too (Barca sent their doctor to meet him apparently?).

But when his release clause activates the following year I expect him to go. And at that stage Klopp will probs be like, allow it.

If you think Liverpool don't have status as a club your either a troll or someone who considers the last 20 years as the entirety of football history.

Otherwise, yeah.

This is completely ignorant (as per) but sometiues it feels like there are certain fanbases trying to cling onto the glory days by acting like cunts all the time, while others have just moved on in the main in the realisation that football really isn't worth stabbing someone over.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the worst thing I can see in that picture is sometime throwing a toilet roll at the team bus. I'm sure there are various chants too, and I've no doubt it's slightly intimidating but probably no worse than what they'll get in the stadium. Or am I missing something?

Sane_Man

Shut up.

Had a peculiar confrontation this morning. Was at an ATM in an alley and there was a Welsh bloke having a semi-private slash against a wall. He finished up, turned around, saw me, and started apologising. Sorry boyo, Sunday morning, nothing's open, what can a man do etc. I said no worries, we've all been there, and his mood drastically fucking changed. Thought he was going to belt me. Just stood there about two yards or so away from me getting progressively crankier, calling me names, and I discreetly jogged in the other direction.

Maybe he thought you meant you'd all sucked his cock?

Zabojnik

Shut up.

Had a peculiar confrontation this morning. Was at an ATM in an alley and there was a Welsh bloke having a semi-private slash against a wall. He finished up, turned around, saw me, and started apologising. Sorry boyo, Sunday morning, nothing's open, what can a man do etc. I said no worries, we've all been there, and his mood drastically fucking changed. Thought he was going to belt me. Just stood there about two yards or so away from me getting progressively crankier, calling me names, and I discreetly jogged in the other direction.

Should've gone with the u wot m8 response from the beginning.

Scum

Shut up.

Sal, pls. Why an alley ATM? You cray cray.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the worst thing I can see in that picture is sometime throwing a toilet roll at the team bus. I'm sure there are various chants too, and I've no doubt it's slightly intimidating but probably no worse than what they'll get in the stadium. Or am I missing something?

It's just the general idea of crowding up and trying to intimidate people. It's probably harmless the majority of the time, but still.

If they could keep it harmless every time, it'd be a nice little throwback to the good old days, but when those fanbases really cunt it up, it becomes bizarre to me.

Arnie

If you think Liverpool don't have status as a club your either a troll or someone who considers the last 10 years as the entirety of football history.

Very peculiar response.

Lambda's just biting because he's marooned on Primeira Liga island, population: six

but Laboured, that guy

I would've thought he'd recognise that a club of Liverpool's size, history and current dimension could purchase a player from Dortmund.

and the Kermit comparison is just petty tbh

ATF487

I started following liverpool right about the time in 08-09 when they blew their title chances; so I've never seen them play this well, its weird.

"I'm glad with Shinji. I thought he played very well at West Ham, too, but he made a very good pass to Juan for the penalty kick [on Saturday]. I want see more from Shinji in those moments because he's a very good footballer. He is technically gifted and can create good situations. It was also an excellent pass [for Wayne Rooney's header]."

TECHNICALLEH

yes Moyeseh keep him please

That's all I'm seeing as well. Throwing anything against a bus is of course bad, but toilet paper is not exactly the worst crime to have ever happened, nothing that can get my blood boiling. Making the other team feel unwelcome by greeting their bus like this is fine.

How the fuck don't we have a footballing status?

last 10... fuck, i'd argue last 5 are the only thing that matters, otherwise you're just living in the past.

i should know that better than anyone. the only reason Benfica manages to sell players for high prices now it's becuase of what we've done in the last few years. no one goes: "Benfica player for sale? that where that young stud Eusébio plays. get on the phone".

Liverpool is nothing in the current world of football. zero. no European presence and might have a chance of winning a domestic title.

L1NETT

Wasn't aimed at anyone tbh Arnie, just peeps gotta respect history of clubs. Could say the same when people lob the same boring abuse at Arsenal or anyone else.

Shrug.

---

Hearing some twitter rumours there were some fights in the spurs dressing room.

Yes/no/Sherwood started it?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
This is completely ignorant (as per) but sometiues it feels like there are certain fanbases trying to cling onto the glory days by acting like cunts all the time, while others have just moved on in the main in the realisation that football really isn't worth stabbing someone over.

True.

and fanbases hating each other over past incidents or tragedies is beyond ridiculous really.

this generation wasn't even born during these incidents. We're essentially stabbing each other over stuff we read on Wikipedia.

in what fucking world is chanting about Heysel cool? I bet you'll see a few banners tonight.

Salazar

Rosamund Pike is incredible, but she's no Eva Green.

And it's painfully undignified to have her slavering over that midget prick.

Clegg

Reus definitely won't be sold this year.

They've already lost Lewandowski and like you say, Gundogan will probably be going too (Barca sent their doctor to meet him apparently?).

But when his release clause activates the following year I expect him to go. And at that stage Klopp will probs be like, allow it.

Otherwise, yeah.
I'd forgotten about Lewandowski tbh. Fucking hell they're getting taken to the cleaners. I realise that United are also guilty of plundering Dortmund, but it's still sad to see. The same thing will probably happen to Atletico in a few seasons too. And whilst I'd lament their passing, I'd hope we're front and centre for Koke.

Scum

True.

and fanbases hating each other over past incidents or tragedies is beyond ridiculous really.

this generation wasn't even born during these incidents. We're essentially stabbing each other over stuff we read on Wikipedia.

in what fucking world is chanting about Heysel cool? I bet you'll see a few banners tonight.

This is the worst part of it all. Utter shite.

I'd forgotten about Lewandowski tbh. Fucking hell they're getting taken to the cleaners. I realise that United are also guilty of plundering Dortmund, but it's still sad to see. The same thing will probably happen to Atletico in a few seasons too.

We only took Shinji and at least we're giving him back.

Atletico will fall away even quicker I think. They're broke, they have no other choice. Costa is going in the summer at the very least.

True.

I'll probably get a bit of abuse for this, but I think our fanbase glosses over Heysel a bit. Anniversaries come and go, and we seem to bow our heads and wait for it to pass.

Obviously it's a massively delicate subject, and it may well be entirely different for local/matchgoing/old-timer fans, but that's the impression I get.

Regarding the banners and chants, I just don't understand the mentality. How much of a brainwashed idiot do you have to be to think that kind of thing is acceptable? Everyone has a different opinion of the importance of football, but the sanctity of life blows rivalry so far out of the water, it become comparitively irrelevant. There are some things which you just don't use as an attack, or laugh about, if you're anything approaching a decent human being. And (referencing Munich/Hillsborough chants) retaliation is no excuse.

Fry

Arnie, remember when I was talking about winning the league and you told me top 4 was our ceiling???

How times change :D

Koke too, surely?

Could be. Costa would be the cert and then I guess it's up to them to decide how much money they need to tide them over and whether or not that means other players have to go.

I assume some of their other players will be in demand also. Obv won't sell them all.

Aye most likely, I imagine Moyes wouldn't hesitate to dip his hand into Uncle Ed's Warchest to meet it though.
If rumours are to be believed, Moyes doesn't want him.

Were Atletico to win the league, could Costa stay? He'd want a massive,unaffordable pay rise I imagine. This is where that TV deal could really fuck Atletico over.

edit: Don't know what happened there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom