• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

We only took Shinji and at least we're giving him back.

Atletico will fall away even quicker I think. They're broke, they have no other choice. Costa is going in the summer at the very least.
I don't want him to go :(

Atletico are in terrible straits financially, but they've been that way for years and have still managed to build a side challenging for the title. They may get players to stick around for another season or two. Depends on how long they keep Someone.

Arnie

Arnie, remember when I was talking about winning the league and you told me top 4 was our ceiling???

How times change :D

It's better not to get carried away.

We could still finish this season fourth. We can't go too mad, nothing's decided yet.

But it's fun and it's wonderful and it's such a time to be alive.

Mastadon

Banned
I'll probably get a bit of abuse for this, but I think our fanbase glosses over Heysel a bit. Anniversaries come and go, and we seem to bow our heads and wait for it to pass.

Obviously it's a massively delicate subject, and it may well be entirely different for local/matchgoing/old-timer fans, but that's the impression I get.

You're absolutely right. Oliver Kay did a brilliant piece in The Times about this a while ago.

But you never hear of this because the tragedy is taboo. It was only brought into the open when Liverpool and Juventus were drawn together in the Champions League quarter-final in 2005, at which point the Merseyside club, after consultation with their Italian counterparts, announced it would be a game of “friendship”. Before the first leg at Anfield, Liverpool supporters held up a mosaic to form the word “amicizia”. Some of the visiting Juventus fans applauded. Most, it seemed, turned their backs in disgust. And while the rejection of the olive branch met with a little consternation on Merseyside, Liverpool’s supporters know all too well about the type of apology that comes too late, brought by events, to sound truly sincere.

Heysel is an unspeakably awkward subject for Liverpool – perhaps more, perhaps less, for the anguish the club and the city endured four years later at Hillsborough. It is a black mark and it will be there forever. Supporters of rival teams chant “Murderers” and the Liverpool fans have little response. On one infamous occasion at Goodison Park in 2008, the away fans responded by singing “2-0 to the Murderers”. I know that this was somewhere between a knee-jerk response and an attempt to “reclaim” that offensive description, but it sounded awful. Were they listening in Turin? You would hope not.

For many years, Liverpool ’s response to Heysel was woefully inadequate. I was shown a copy of the club’s official yearbook for 1985/86. There were two articles about the tragedy on page three, but they were both of the “Let’s put this behind us, improve the matchday Anfield atmosphere and look to restore the club’s good name” variety. There was no direct reference to what had happened. There was no hint of an apology. Later there was a round-up of the previous European Cup campaign, in which 1985/86 was identified as a “watershed” because it would be Liverpool ’s last for some time.

Token buy if it happens, it would be beyond idiotic to put any faith in him as first choice striker, even alongside David Villa

Right, but I think Atletico is the only team that would want Torres and the only club Torres would go to that would give him minutes. His value is 5M at best though, even for Atletico.

Hixx

Mark Lawrenson & Michael Owen on MotD tonight
e5YuU.gif

Along with Sam Wallace from the Independent? Bit weird.

Close to impossible.

They are in alot of debt.

They are in a lot of debt. But they're also basically selling themselves piece by piece to Azerbaijan, which like Qatar and the UAE is a petrodollar state. It could go either way but if they whore themselves enough they may get that debt paid off and still keep their players.

You're absolutely right. Oliver Kay did a brilliant piece in The Times about this a while ago.

Christ, worse than I imagined. Obviously our fans couldn't have known the wall would collapse, but it was still our fault as a collective, and a result of going too far in an attempt to intimidate

I fear it's way too late to apologise now without it seeming like an insincere PR move, and the club being accused by our own fans of needlessly dredging up unpleasant memories. Maybe a friendly could be organised with all Liverpool proceeds going to any Heysel-related charity fund? Even then, it reeks of the two things I mentioned.

sneaky77

Were Atletico to win the league, could Costa stay? He'd want a massive,unaffordable pay rise I imagine. This is where that TV deal could really fuck Atletico over.

edit: Don't know what happened there

Last time Atletico won the league, they were relagated either the very last season or two after. They cannot afford to keep Costa, plus selling costa to chelsea could get them courtois

Zabojnik

#Juventus Starting XI: Buffon, Caceres, Bonucci, Chiellini, Lichtsteiner, Vidal, Pirlo, Pogba, Asamoah, Osvaldo, Llorente

Osvaldo + (out of form) Llorente is just a terrible pairing. Quaglia would be a much better choice. I'm not even joking.

I look forward to the Manpool megapolis, the only way to compete with London.

Has to happen eventually.

Probably throw Leeds into it too.

Unfortunately for the moment both cities still need to plug their own gaps before they start thinking about joining up.

Imagine, Warrington would become the place to be.

Christ, worse than I imagined. Obviously our fans couldn't have known the wall would collapse, but it was still our fault as a collective, and a result of going too far in an attempt to intimidate

I fear it's way too late to apologise now without it seeming like an insincere PR move, and the club being accused by our own fans of needlessly dredging up unpleasant memories. Maybe a friendly could be organised with all Liverpool proceeds going to any Heysel-related charity fund? Even then, it reeks of the two things I mentioned.

The majority of the "fans" who caused the trouble had previous offences for football related violence. Basically casuals. I believe a combination of Heysel and subsequently Hillsborough accelerated the fight against hooliganism in football, increased safety standards, modern stadia and crowd policing. Not to mention what is considered acceptable. It's just a shame that it took such disasters to create the necessary change in English football culture.

Scum

Has to happen eventually.

Probably throw Leeds into it too.

Unfortunately for the moment both cities still need to plug their own gaps before they start thinking about joining up.

Imagine, Warrington would become the place to be.

Leeds are dead.

King_Moc

Banned

Very difficult for Liverpool FC to apologise when it wasn't Liverpool FC that killed those fans though. Hillsborough is very different. There was a cover up orchestrated by the very institutions that were supposed to keep fans safe.

It can fucking ruin your weekend.

Yep.

Lose at 12:45 on Saturday morning. Fuck the 3pm matches. Fuck the late match. Fuck La Liga. Fuck Serie A. Carry on fucking the Portuguese League. Fuck tonight's TV. Fuck Sunday. Back to work. FUCK FOOTBALL.

Lose on Sunday, failing to take advantage of slipups, or falling further behind. Fuck tonight, and fuck Monday.

Win at any time.

Slowdive said:
I'm just floating

K1LLER7

Rafael Hernández ‏@RafaelH117 3m

Rumors that Sherwood punched a Spurs player in the face in the dressing room after the match. [@SpursInTheBlood]

TeddyBoy

I'll probably get a bit of abuse for this, but I think our fanbase glosses over Heysel a bit. Anniversaries come and go, and we seem to bow our heads and wait for it to pass.

Obviously it's a massively delicate subject, and it may well be entirely different for local/matchgoing/old-timer fans, but that's the impression I get.

Yeah we don't really talk about it much, Liverpool fans and the site barely mention it. I get a moan from time to time by my Evertonian aunt who gets annoyed at how Everton couldn't have a European campaign because of us.

Thankfully British football is safer now, but it can never make it any better for those poor fans who lost their lives.

Linius

Yep.

Lose at 12:45 on Saturday morning. Fuck the 3pm matches. Fuck the late match. Fuck La Liga. Fuck Serie A. Carry on fucking the Portuguese League. Fuck tonight's TV. Fuck Sunday. Back to work. FUCK FOOTBALL.

Lose on Sunday, failing to take advantage of slipups, or falling further behind. Fuck tonight, and fuck Monday.

Win at any time.

Yep. I hate it when I plan to watch a comedy or something after the game or go out and do something fun. My mood just goes down.

Very difficult for Liverpool FC to apologise when it wasn't Liverpool FC that killed those fans though. Hillsborough is very different. There was a cover up orchestrated by the very institutions that were supposed to keep fans safe.

Yeah. I guess for it to be done properly, it had to be done at the time.

Rafael Hernández ‏@RafaelH117 3m

Rumors that Sherwood punched a Spurs player in the face in the dressing room after the match. [@SpursInTheBlood]

i bet he punched his reflection on the mirror thinking it was someone else.

Jesus broke this man. Jesus + United = Champions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom