• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see and these are valid points. I wonder why Klopp is so bullish with his tactics. I mean, all your replacements you mentioned couldnt replace the injured players properly, so its only logical to have at least another system to play that benefits the strength of a Großkreutz, Sahin, Aubameyang, etc. And its not like you are starving. You earned around 350 million and made profits, so the money excuse is only appropriate when considering the fact that Watze is not ready to invest into class palyers. Why I mentioning all this is that Bayern and the Bundesliga needs a strong and competitive BVB in order to compete with EPL and La Liga.

Well, I wouldn't say Sahin, Großkreutz, etc did a bad job. On contrast, they did a very good job. The problem however is that the amount of players out mixed with new players not yet completely used to Klopp's system will show at some point. If it was just Sahin for Gündogan and Großkreutz for Kuba, there wouldn't be so many problems. But like Pennywise said earlier, constant lineup changes because of injuries make it hard for a central player like Micky to settle. Just compare a match with Hummels and one without him, our play from defense is completely different.

And we're still playing (slightly altered) the same system that made Großkreutz and Sahin shine in 2010/11, I don't see what different system would improve them.

About the money, last year's numbers don't mean much to be honest. The CL final + selling Götze are a huge part of that and both is income you can't plan with every season. Bayern is just one or (the money from Allianz, Audi and Adidas considered) two leagues above us and any other Bundesliga club money wise. Our Evonik and Puma deals are ridiculously low compared to other European top clubs.

The Llama

Not sure if it was mentioned, but heh @ Everton renewing their deal with Chang beer for only £16m over 3 years. Just over £5m a year. Pretty terrible, considering even Spurs get like £12m a year or something like that.

Wilbur

Banned
Not sure if it was mentioned, but heh @ Everton renewing their deal with Chang beer for only £16m over 3 years. Just over £5m a year. Pretty terrible, considering even Spurs get like £12m a year or something like that.

dat small club sponsorship

GorillaJu

Is Suarez handling the ball in that first gif? Hard to make out but it looks like it to me.

Don't think so, it's only that first angle that makes it look like he is. Watch the second angle and you can see his arm is really far away from the ball.

Infamous review day, that thread is going to get good once a 6/10 shows up and people lose it. Betting on Polygon.

GCK4NYA.gif

Jack cw

Well, I wouldn't say Sahin, Großkreutz, etc did a bad job. On contrast, they did a very good job. The problem however is that the amount of players out mixed with new players not yet completely used to Klopp's system will show at some point. If it was just Sahin for Gündogan and Großkreutz for Kuba, there wouldn't be so many problems. But like Pennywise said earlier, constant lineup changes because of injuries make it hard for a central player like Micky to settle. Just compare a match with Hummels and one without him, our play from defense is completely different.

And we're still playing (slightly altered) the same system that made Großkreutz and Sahin shine in 2010/11, I don't see what different system would improve them.

About the money, last year's numbers don't mean much to be honest. The CL final + selling Götze are a huge part of that and both is income you can't plan with every season. Bayern is just one or (the money from Allianz, Audi and Adidas considered) two leagues above us and any other Bundesliga club money wise. Our Evonik and Puma deals are ridiculously low compared to other European top clubs.

Fair enough. I was talking about something less running intensive more man orianted pressing, because if you dont score 2 or 3 goals after an hour you are getting a bit panicky and maybe not as focused. Something I witnessed last year too. But the thing is, soon your board has to decide if Bayern (and the rest of Europe's top 5) or Leverkusen and Schalke are the competiton you want to compete with. I understand Watze being careful about it after the whole Amoroso shit that happened a decade ago, but thats what about to happen.

sohois

The game will get good reviews. Solid gameplay, fantastic graphics, a lot of hype, maybe a good story. I'd be surprised if it got bad reviews, unless reviewers suddenly want new experiences.

Of course it will get good reviews, but there is always one which dares to stray from the hivemind and causes a shitstorm.

Strangely enough, some of the most controversial reviews have ended up being more accurate than the standard - thinking particularly of Twilight Princess 8.8 and Uncharted 3 8.
Of course Polygon fucks it all up with their idiocy and the 7.5 TLoU review

Scum

Review numbers from game reviewers writers in this day and age is a fucking waste of time. Infamous is getting 8s or higher based on the AAA Review Chart.

I am predicting a meltdown esque thread.

But it's game reviews. Don't see why people care about them so much.

Wut

no

Stop deluding yourself. Ocarina of Shite. Final Fantashit 7. Infamous: Second Son, motherfucker

Comment from the review thread, paraphrased

7.5 for TLoU was ridiculous, even if he didn't think it was GOTY, he should have given it an 8 out of respect

Scum

I am predicting a meltdown esque thread.

But it's game reviews. Don't see why people care about them so much.

Wut

no

--

Sessler 3/5

I TOLD YOUS

Watch the fireworks

Because the publishers nowadays have trained their motley crew of hardlycore audience well. Turned most of them into bean counters.
Small number -> Bad. Big number -> good.

Fair enough. I was talking about something less running intensive more man orianted pressing, because if you dont score 2 or 3 goals after an hour you are getting a bit panicky and maybe not as focused. Something I witnessed last year too. But the thing is, soon your board has to decide if Bayern (and the rest of Europe's top 5) or Leverkusen and Schalke are the competiton you want to compete with. I understand Watze being careful about it after the whole Amoroso shit that happened a decade ago, but thats what about to happen.

Well, pressing is very running intensive as well. Sure, it's less running when it's actually working unlike the pressing we play most of the time recently.

And I think we actually improved with the panicing at minute 60/70 in the last year. Frankfurt in the DFB cup, Marseille and Arsenal in the CL just to name a few were matches in which we kept it cool and scored the goal.

Walshy

The soundtrack or the game?

Overall, SA>3=VC

3 had an amazing atmosphere which makes up for a lot of the things which are objectively worse about it.
Soundtrack of course.

Game wise, for me it's SA = VC > 3.

San Andreas really felt huge at the time. Amazing they managed to nearly triple the size of the Vice City map on the same platform.

LTWheels

My favourite thing on GAF, is seeing people get up in arms about certain sites giving games a slightly lower review score, then a month or so later after they have actually played the game, the consensus changes to those lower scores actually being right.

My favourite thing on GAF, is seeing people get up in arms about certain sites giving games a slightly lower review score, then a month or so later after they have actually played the game, the consensus changes to those lower scores actually being right.

I find it amusing that they whinge about Edge and Eurogamer's scores being unreliable, and then a 10/10 from a site called PlayStation Universe passes through without comment :p

edit: Not that PSU are necessarily biased with their reviews

LTWheels

I find it amusing that they whinge about Edge and Eurogamer's scores being unreliable, and then a 10/10 from a site called PlayStation Universe passes through without comment :p

edit: Not that PSU are necessarily biased with their reviews

I found the whole Eurogamer 8 for Uncharted 3 hilarious.

LegoArmo

The thing with reviews is how predictable they're becoming. They're just PR and hype machines for publishers. I don't really trust anyone but Giant Bomb now.

Don't most of you already know whether or not you are going to get a game before the reviews?

Most of the time.

I:SS could have got 4s and 5s, and I'd have played it since I love the first 2.

New IPs from unknown studios kind of rely on good reviews for me to buy their games though. Even Thief*, which was made by the makers of one of my games of the generation (I think), had reviews which were mediocre enough to put me off even though I like the artstyle and general structure behind the game.

*May as well be a new IP :p

GorillaJu

Review numbers are a bit of an odd thing, aren't they? How many games that have come out truly stood above and beyond everything else in an objective way, where you could say "this game deserves an 8, this one a 9 and this one a 10"? Game reviewers themselves often go back on their word and will later refer to a game as being brilliant when at the time they gave it an average score, or do the opposite where they'll refer to a game as 'disappointing' when they originally gave it a really high number.

Lots of games come out with 90+ meta scores and I just have no interest in them or don't find them fun. Then on the other hand, there are some games which score in the 70s and become favorites for life. And I'd never say "this 90 game is an objectively better game, I just prefer this 75 game" because if I like the 75 game more, then to me it's a better game.

I have some curiosity what reviewers think about games that I like. Eurogamer gave Dragon's Dogma a 7. Says enough.

L1NETT

Infamous currently 79 on Metacritic. KZ Shadowfall 73.

*ahem Don't wanna say I told you so...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104988920&postcount=18704

People wouldn't get so up in arms bout all this if they didn't have such astronomically absurd expectations for this game. Saw regular 90 metacritic guesses. Madness. They accuse the press of manufacturing hype for Titanfall, but some folks went craaazy for Infamous. Infamous, KZ etc are good games, but nowt more.

But end of the day, it's video games.

Football is where it's at.

Let's argue about that.

Jack cw

what was wrong with Killzone anyway? I enjoyed it. It wasn't the best game ever but the campaign was entertaining.

"Too much visual fidelity, too much 1080p, too much steady 30 fps, too much variety in level design. But still last generation gameplay".