• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT18| Coming Early by L. Piscium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Wenger should walk even if you win the FA Cup.

I've always defended him but this was the year Arsenal had to capitalise. Turmoil at City close season, Froggie gone, Chelsea with a relatively weak squad compared to years gone by, Liverpool still building and Spurs having to gel an entire team. This was the season that was basically offered up to Wenger as "go and prove everyone wrong".

And then after a solid first half of the season, Wenger went and proved everyone right. He's too stubborn, too set in his ways. Look at his responses to interviewers who have pissed him off recently. With Fergie (who reacted abrasively too), there was never any signs of weakness. Even in the years we had poor squads there was always the sense that next year would be the one.

But if Wenger thought this squad was good enough to win the title, that's on him. It wasn't because of him. I think he has to go, which'll be a shame. But he's too set in his ways.

Salvadora

I wouldn't want Pochettino.

At the current juncture, anyway. There are very positive signs he's shown Southampton, yes, but he he hasn't achieved enough yet. People will draw comparisons to Rodgers, but I'm not convinced.

FuturusX

Arsenal will have to gamble on a young manager if Wenger walks. The old guard are basically done. A new young manager could go either way. Could be quite the period of struggle. Perhaps sticking with Wenger until a good target has been identified is the way to go. Let Wenger choose his successor like Fergie did....oh erm.

Wilbur

Banned
I didn't expect Rodgers to be doing so well with Liverpool anyway. He did a banging job with Swansea but that was building on the work three other managers had done before him. The current Liverpool side, mentality, tactics etc is all on him.

wedward

If Wenger leaves it'll be interesting to see how Ozil reacts.

I imagine the only reason he came to Arsenal, aside from wanting to play with Giroud, was because of Arsene.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I feel for Hughton, he had a difficult job with a very mediocre squad.

With Powell and Ince sacked recently there are hardly any black managers around, at least in the higher divisions.

Kikarian

I didn't expect Rodgers to be doing so well with Liverpool anyway. He did a banging job with Swansea but that was building on the work three other managers had done before him. The current Liverpool side, mentality, tactics etc is all on him.
I wouldn't of minded him at us. The tactics and the football he makes the players play is quality. Better than Moyes, anyway.

Salvadora

Honestly, Ozil get to plays with a bunch of mates every week and earns tons of money. Along with being a professional.

He would be treasured by whoever comes to Arsenal (unlike Madrid), so I wouldn't imagine there being difficulties. Arsene will still be about the place anyway.

With Powell and Ince sacked recently there are hardly any black managers around, at least in the higher divisions.

Hughton and Powell will be picked up by other clubs. The longer Ince stays out of management the better. I wonder what current black players will choose to enter management?

Mastadon

Banned

There are no black managers in the top 5 divisions. Shameful really.

TeddyBoy

BkkPH87CYAAfIHu.jpg

I remember that well, I showed my mate back at Christmas the original picture, I just sent him the updated one as well :D

Just five games Feorax!

wedward

Uncle Gnèpon ‏@gnepon 3h
Imagine being Mrs Raymond Verheijen:
"Honey, the cat puked on the carpet."
"Already in 2011 I pointed out the problems with this cat..."

sohois

I don't see the problem; it's clearly a protest against Vincent Tan - were cardiff city until Tan came in and changed their colours and stuff, were premier league, until he hired some muppet from scandinavia

-

I hope Norwich go down now. I always used to go against the grain on this, preferring them to stay up whilst others blasted their lack of identity, but that was largely due to Hughton who I like and feel is underrated. Fuck them now tho

Yen

Jonathan Pearce isn't keen on giving Liverpool any credit on motd. "You have to put your hands somewhere" smh

Mastadon

Banned
That's a definite penalty. Getting a hand on the ball doesn't allow the goalie to take out the player, especially considering the ball was still in play.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That's a definite penalty. Getting a hand on the ball doesn't allow the goalie to take out the player, especially considering the ball was still in play.

I'd be going mental if that was given against me.

Flanagan has done plenty of thunderous tackles in the box where he plays the ball and then cleans out his man, Adrian played the ball and the challenge was fair. The follow-through was not worthy of a foul, this is a contact sport.

scarybore

Sad to see Hughton sacked, he did a good job with us (Newcastle) and should of had the chance to continue on for longer after getting us promoted. Can't say I'm surprised at this news though, his striker signings let him down something awful.

dc89

Pellegrini: "We’re not going to play against Liverpool thinking we must draw. We don’t know to play in that way."

My prediction is 2-2.
Two penalties of course.

faridmon

Neil raises a fair point actually. Maybe the momentum of the keeper makes it a a penalty since they ball is being handled softly where as he makes in contact with the player in a bit more aggressive way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom