• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT18| Coming Early by L. Piscium

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

:lol I knew that was coming.

But he's so far off the pace, even against a truly desultory Newcastle. And you'd call the violence involuntary if that didn't diminish his acute fucking nasty personal responsibility for it.

It was so easy I almost didn't post it

Clegg

Carvalho seems comfortable on the ball whereas Fellaini needs two more touches to compensate form his awful first one. Unless he's controlled it with his chest ofc.

Kikarian

Carvalho seems comfortable on the ball whereas Fellaini needs two more touches to compensate form his awful first one. Unless he's controlled it with his chest ofc.
I think Carvalho would suit us perfectly, as well.

He's comfortable on the ball like you said but can also break up attacks, without committing a foul.

Us drawing interest in him is only inviting other clubs to put an offer in. However, I hope we get him.

Arnie

Carrick's comfortable with the ball yet looked borderline flu-ridden this season .

Willy might be able to dick on Portugal but - under Moyes - he'll be just another pawn in the great Slug machine.

Kikarian

Bradford banner about Steve Evaens

BlA_1PqCUAETbTX.jpg:large

Blablurn

Could someone translate the stadium announcer? I get he's saying Mario's name, but after that?

announcer: In the 59 minute, goooooooooooooal for the fc bayern munich. not even 60 seconds later. through our number 9. MARIO

crowd: MANDZUKIC

announcer: MARIOOOO

crowd: MAAANDZUUUKIC

announcer: MARIOOOOOOOOOOOO

crowd: MAAAAAAAANDZUUUKIIIIC

announcer: new score. FC BAYERN

crowd: ONE

announcer: Manchester United

crowd: ZERO (its a german thing)

announce: Thank you

crowd: you're welcome

crowd: OHOOOHOOOOOOOOOO

Manchester Fans: ....

I think Carvalho would suit us perfectly, as well.

He's comfortable on the ball like you said but can also break up attacks, without committing a foul.

Us drawing interest in him is only inviting other clubs to put an offer in. However, I hope we get him.

Other clubs have been also monitoring him for awhile. Man Utd scouts have been consistently at Sporting's matches but clubs like City, Arsenal, Juve and Monaco have been sending people to our games.
The message our president has been sending is that the only way Willy will leave is if someone pays the buyout clause and I believe that isn't a bluff. We don't a have a desperate need to sell anymore. We're getting close to 10M for reaching the group stage of the CL, in the last year we dropped our budget by half and our wage bill by almost 2/3 while significantly improving the team.
We're aren't going to spend much money on new players as we while be promoting a few players from the reserves to the main squad.
So, yeah, unless someone comes in with the 45M, William is staying.

Milan U16 just beat Barca U16 on penalties and is through to the final of some Spanish Cup, to face either Real Madrid or Atletico.

Dat investment in youth sector. Sucks that we have to wait a number of years before we see it pay off, it should have already happened years ago.

Kikarian

Other clubs have been also monitoring him for awhile. Man Utd scouts have been consistently at Sporting's matches but clubs like City, Arsenal, Juve and Monaco have been sending people to our games.
The message our president has been sending is that the only way Willy will leave is if someone pays the buyout clause and I believe that isn't a bluff. We don't a have a desperate need to sell anymore. We're getting close to 10M for reaching the group stage of the CL, in the last year we dropped our budget by half and our wage bill by almost 2/3 while significantly improving the team.
We're aren't going to spend much money on new players as we while be promoting a few players from the reserves to the main squad.
lol I highly doubt we'd pay 45M.

Well it was nice hoping.

D_prOdigy

All it takes is one quiet word in the ear from Dave; set the wheels in motion.

Arnie

Just to go back on something from last night that I was too tired to stress. Carroll wasn't that bad a signing, in the end.

Yes, the money was ludicrous, but it was offset by what we received for a far less capable Fernando Torres.

And he scored two winners against Everton (priceless), one of them in an FA Cup Semi Final at Wembley, as well as playing a vital role in knocking United out of that same competition. Then we received half of his transfer fee back.

It's not a good signing by any means, but the likes of Lamela, Soldado, Fellaini, and dare I fucking say it Mesut Ozil have the potential to be far less fruitful.

Arnie

Shit matches, shit matches everywhere.

Sunderland v The Ev is the one.

Relegation versus top four. Multiple subplots. Plus, Sunderland are one of the only teams to beat Everton at Goodison this season.

Plus they both play fairly alright football, which is something that's certainly not at a premium today.

Clegg

Ozil is, unfortunately for Arsenal fans, living off the good work he did in the first half of the season. January onwards has been a bit of a write off.

Arnie

Think putting Ozil anywhere near those other players is misguided.

Not in quality, but in terms of output versus money spent, there's certainly a case (however debatable).

Taking into account all the factors we'd use to judge a transfer: money spent versus money recouped (obviously this is harsh because we don't know how much Ozil would leave for in the future) as well as what they actually did on the pitch, I don't think Ozil's exempt from similar criticism.

He's not only been invisible for large parts, but he's contributed to a general sense of mental blancmange that's ultimately undermined Arsenal's entire season. He was one of the first to buckle at Anfield, as well as against Bayern in the Champions League, two games that like it or not have had a catastrophic impact on the trajectory of your club.

Ozil is, unfortunately for Arsenal fans, living off the good work he did in the first half of the season. January onwards has been a bit of a write off.

Might be true enough, but Andy Carroll is a good bit more worthy of comparison to the other shit on Arnie's list, that Özil with all his faults is.

Clegg

Might be true enough, but Andy Carroll is a good bit more worthy of comparison to the other shit on Arnie's list, that Özil with all his faults is.
I don't think he's been a bad signing for Arsenal. But I don't think anyone at that club can be happy with how he's played in more recent months, injury notwithstanding. He's gone from having a potentially great season to a merely above average one.

I don't think he's been a bad signing for Arsenal. But I don't think anyone at that club can be happy with how he's played in more recent months, injury notwithstanding. He's gone from having a potentially great season to a merely above average one.

Yeah no clubs can be happy about that. But then again, they're Arsenal so it's kind of what he's expected to do.

Barzul

Ozil would be so much better with a fit Walcott and a striker with brains and pace. I see some of the the passes and moves he tries to start off, that don't come off due to lack of personnel. Hopefully that'll be rectified this summer. His only real flaw is his defensive contribution.

Arnie

He was pretty good from September to November tbf.

That's one quarter of a season, though. For the majority of it he's been almost invisible; he even needed a pseudo winter break to cope.

Raheem Sterling was gash up until November, yet it's widely acknowledged he's had a fantastic season.

Ozil would be so much better with a fit Walcott and a striker with brains and pace. I see some of the the passes and moves he tries to start off, that don't come off due to lack of personnel. Hopefully that'll be rectified this summer. His only real flaw is his defensive contribution.
I would agree with that, to be fair.

Salvadora

Not in quality, but in terms of output versus money spent, there's certainly a case (however debatable).

Taking into account all the factors we'd use to judge a transfer: money spent versus money recouped (obviously this is harsh because we don't know how much Ozil would leave for in the future) as well as what they actually did on the pitch, I don't think Ozil's exempt from similar criticism.

He's not only been invisible for large parts, but he's contributed to a general sense of mental blancmange that's ultimately undermined Arsenal's entire season. He was one of the first to buckle at Anfield, as well as against Bayern in the Champions League, two games that like it or not have had a catastrophic impact on the trajectory of your club.
In terms of output versus money spent, I would certainly debate putting Ozil in the same sentence as those other players you mentioned.

Fellaini has looked non-league quality. Soldado continues to surprise me with his shiteness. Lamela has done absolutely nothing. All three have cost buckets of money for the combined output of pretty much 0.

Like Clegg said, Ozil was good in the first half of the season. Would even argue that the team let him down to an extent during that period as he could and should have much more assists if it weren't for Giroud/Walcott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom