• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT18| Coming Early by L. Piscium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack cw

seriously. ribery really wasnt that good in the last weeks. it was robben ALL ALONG.

Problem is that Pep wants them to switch positions contantly. Even Bale would get insane with this tactics. Ribery and Robben are classic wingers that attack over their favourite positions. Thats why they worked so good under Heynckes and now sacrificed for dominance because on focus in the middle. I hope Pep isnt stubborn and ready to adjust his tactics like he did a few months ago back to heynckes double 6.

I wonder if Matic's comments will get him in trouble with Mourinho.

?

The fuck is this. It's a metropolis. They're gonna make a shit Jumanji.

Damn, this is gonna be bad

Strange interview that from Assaidi.

?

VqIKzZo.jpg

I might be a few days later on this one, but Januzaj's been named the best player under 20 by GdS.

Is that Raheezus at number 6? fuckingdisgrace.gif

If we win this weekend against West Ham the PL winners flag at Old Trafford will be brought down as they won't be able to catch us.

Get in.

Weird rule, should stay up until the trophy's changed hands imo

Blablurn

Problem is that Pep wants them to switch positions contantly. Even Bale would get insane with this tactics. Ribery and Robben are classic wingers that attack over their favourite positions. Thats why they worked so good under Heynckes and now sacrificed for dominance because on focus in the middle. I hope Pep isnt stubborn and ready to adjust his tactics like he did a few months ago back to heynckes double 6.

btw, seems like bale is the real deal. every time i watch him play he does it very well. impressive transfer for madrid. if they dont win the cl this year i dont know what else they could do. i guess probably buy more players.

btw, seems like bale is the real deal. every time i watch him play he does it very well. impressive transfer for madrid. if they dont win the cl this year i dont know what else they could do. i guess probably buy more players.

He still has to improve a lot for me to define it as an impressive transfer, given the cost.

Impressive player, ludicrous transfer still.

subtles

Contrary to what Mou would have us believe, Matic said:
"People who say Chelsea don't have any good strikers don't know anything about football," Matic told the May issue of FourFourTwo. "We have three very good strikers: [Samuel} Eto'o, {Fernando] Torres, Demba Ba. People who say this cannot have watched football."

The Assaidi interview was a short video on the Guardian website. He mentioned not knowing why Brendan didn't give him a fair chance, though he thinks that it may be because Rodgers prefers midfielders/midfield control out wide. (Which I find odd for obvious reasons)

Jack cw

Yeahm they seem to be very aggressive in attack. Remind me a lot of last years Bayern. Still think we could beat them in two games.

Blablurn

Yeahm they seem to be very aggressive in attack. Remind me a lot of last years Bayern. Still think we could beat them in two games.

I think watching Ronaldo is crazy. The speed he has. It's scary. If he's on a roll, he is really unstoppable. I hope we see some kind of decline sooner or later.

Contrary to what Mou would have us believe, Matic said:
"People who say Chelsea don't have any good strikers don't know anything about football," Matic told the May issue of FourFourTwo. "We have three very good strikers: [Samuel} Eto'o, {Fernando] Torres, Demba Ba. People who say this cannot have watched football."

The Assaidi interview was a short video on the Guardian website. He mentioned not knowing why Brendan didn't give him a fair chance, though he thinks that it may be because Rodgers prefers midfielders/midfield control out wide. (Which I find odd for obvious reasons)

Ha, the Chelsea situation was always gonna throw up some strange conflicting statements, with a group of players who won't criticise eachother in public, and a manager who seemingly doesn't give a fuck about even trying to instil a bit of confidence in his strikers who are already terribly short of it.

(Whether a professional striker should need their manager to mollycoddle them for their confidence or not, Mourinho's comments can't be helping)

I'm not sure I entirely understand why Mourinho has escaped the blame for their striker situation. He spent enough money in summer for a striker to have been affordable (maybe at the cost of other areas), and they got a £37m cash injection in January, of which they only spent £22m or so.

And I don't believe for a second that he doesn't have much say in transfers, surely he'd have demanded that before he rejoined them.

Sounds like Assaidi is just trying to be political, thinking of a reason for him to be out on loan that won't lead to headlines like 'Assaidi Swipe At Rodgers.' Given our lack of depth out wide and lack of trust in the attackers who came in (Alberto and Aspas), he has every right to feel aggrieved with his lack of oppurtunity imo.

Think we might struggle with good squad depth for a while tbh, in attack at least. There are only 3/4 spots available to the attacking players, 2 of which are on lockdown by Suarez and Sturridge. Unless you're good enough to force yourself into the team, or versatile as fuck, you'll be spending a lot of time on the bench. Though I guess the squad players should get more playing time next season with Europe, and hopefully a better run in the League Cup.

King_Moc

Banned
Ha, the Chelsea situation was always gonna throw up some strange conflicting statements, with a group of players who won't criticise eachother in public, and a manager who seemingly doesn't give a fuck about even trying to instil a bit of confidence in his strikers who are already terribly short of it.

(Whether a professional striker should need their manager to mollycoddle them for their confidence or not, Mourinho's comments can't be helping)

I'm not sure I entirely understand why Mourinho has escaped the blame for their striker situation. He spent enough money in summer for a striker to have been affordable (maybe at the cost of other areas), and they got a £37m cash injection in January, of which they only spent £22m or so.

Chelsea fans aren't allowed to criticise Mourinho, as far as I can tell.

subtles

I think the striker situation with Mou has to do with the strikers he wants being unavailable + FFP (as he is so keen to remind us of with his comments regarding other clubs). It did seem like he expected Rooney in the summer but that didn't come to pass.

I'm more worried about Reina now that Barca are on lockdown. Assaidi will probably find another club (rather easily) if Rodgers doesn't need him.

I wonder if Rodgers will bench Sturridge in the CL if he perceives an advantage in having two out and out wingers in terms of shape.

Mastadon

Banned
Is that Bentaleb I see in there? Kid's going to be class.

Looking at the descriptions of the players on the GdS website using google translate is all kinds of fun.

Januzaj - With the girls look at the most X-Factor, however, that left. Technical, dribbles, has personality. Two goals against Sunderland, the youngest player to ManU. The signing of the contract has arrived (2018).

Sterling - About NBA second name is Shaquille. Born in Jamaica, pay studies to children of Kingston but is already England team. Arrow from who knows how to counter-attack goals: 6 in this Premier

Ocampos - all, long legs, horse band with a taste for the game. He can not become the owner of the Monaco, but always plays

Bentaleb - The care Sherwood Spurs: Adebayor in front of him and median. Tall, thin and mangy, retrieve, set, a dam with both the head with his feet. The 4-2-3-1 is his death, meanwhile, goes to the World Cup with Algeria ...

spidye

He still has to improve a lot for me to define it as an impressive transfer, given the cost.

Impressive player, ludicrous transfer still.

welcome to the new age

prices for players got ludicrously inflated due to city, psg and all the other oil/russian clubs.

sad reality

Jack cw

aaaaaah, we will beat manchester. i have no doubt. #TitanRises

I hope so. We made the away goal, so its a great advantage. Where is Milch btw. He wouldnt believe 2 weeks ago that Dortmund was the weakest team left in the competition. Wonder what he says now :D
welcome to the new age

prices for players got ludicrously inflated due to city, psg and all the other oil/russian clubs.

sad reality

And Madrid :/
Kaka, Bale, Ronaldo...

I think the striker situation with Mou has to do with the strikers he wants being unavailable + FFP (as he is so keen to remind us of with his comments regarding other clubs). It did seem like he expected Rooney in the summer but that didn't come to pass.

I'm more worried about Reina now that Barca are on lockdown. Assaidi will probably find another club (rather easily) if Rodgers doesn't need him.

I wonder if Rodgers will bench Sturridge in the CL if he perceives an advantage in having two out and out wingers in terms of shape.

Assuming we get there, I'd like to see us do what comes naturally, in the goup stage at least. Just try and brute force the teams who can be overwhelmed, especially at Anfield. And if not, put Suarez out wide and Sturridge up front. Teams can't really afford to just play for draws in the group stage with so few points available, so hopefully there'll be a few high lines for Sturridge to exploit :p

Imagine if we get a group of death like Arsenal-Napoli-Dortmund :O

(We'd be in pot 3, correct?)

And I don't believe for a second that he doesn't have much say in transfers, surely he'd have demanded that before he rejoined them.

Torres has had 3 years of managers sucking up to him when he hasn't performed maybe a change of tact might work. Although the most likely reason is that everyone at the club just wants to get them off the wage bill ASAP. I was at the Palace game on Saturday and Torres was so poor and disinterested that he deserved to be criticised.
Mourinho can't sign a striker if there are none available and we can't just throw money around anymore because of Financial Fair Play. He did good signing Eto'o who has done well after taking a few months to adjust. He's not scoring loads but his biggest asset is his link up play with the attacking midfielders.
I dont agree that Mourinho has escaped the blame. He is getting lots of criticism especially for letting Lukaku go on loan.

welcome to the new age

sad reality

Bale's price was inflated by Madrid's own reputation for ludicrous transfer fees, case in point Illaramendi in the very same window. Plus he still had 3 years on his contract I think. No other club was even in for him, and Madrid was the only club he wanted to move to.

Plus, being Madrid, they wanted to make a massive transfer as it's what they do to make themselves happy in lieu of La Decima and domination over La Liga.

As cuntish as Barcelona are, thank fuck they exist :p

subtles

Assuming we get there, I'd like to see us do what comes naturally, in the goup stage at least. Just try and brute force the teams who can be overwhelmed, especially at Anfield. And if not, put Suarez out wide and Sturridge up front. Teams can't really afford to just play for draws in the group stage with so few points available, so hopefully there'll be a few high lines for Sturridge to exploit :p

Imagine if we get a group of death like Arsenal-Napoli-Dortmund :O

(We'd be in pot 3, correct?)
Yes. I think City moved up to Pot 2 which leaves us with the possibility of a very forgiving group or the group of death.

Nothing better than playing the teams as big as us as early as possible. :p

LTWheels

You can tell which players Brendan didn't sign, ie committee signings, as he doesn't play them.

The only exception is Sturridge. In fact Brendan originally veteoed his transfer in the summer before we signed him. Apparently this caused our owners to lose faith in his transfer market action. I suppose now though, due to how well we have done this season, it put Brendan in a much stronger negotiating position to gain more control in the new contract.

To be fair, Brendan's signing before the transfer committee was set up, Borini and Allen have become good. And the top players we tried to sign last summer have had good season, so we are spotting the right players.

GQman2121

Banned
There was no backup plan after Rooney didn't happen. And there was no plan because there were no players realistically available.

Let's be real, there are very few world class strikers in the game today. There are maybe ten that you can say are true #9's and could start week in and week out for the world's biggest clubs.

Jack cw

Blablurn, stop making the whole #TitanRises jokes, that's just gonna lead to #Titanfall jokes if we lose.

Haha, thats my concern too. Blablurns pride will fall back to us all :/
Bayern GAF: FCB has a sale on the home kits: Regular sizes 50 EUR and player name and number 5 EUR extra.

subtles

I hope Woodward tried to call Klopp after he stormed out of the press conference only to be told to fuck off.

Woodward would then, hopefully, ring Big Sam.

Some of the comments are out of this world.

As I've gradually stopped going on there, I cringe at the general tone of a lot of the posts on there

-We're the biggest club in the world
-Man Utd and the FA are in cahoots
-Poems about football (eugh)
-Ferguson's lot lose to him on purpose
-There's a media conspiracy to make us unpopular and propogate the Man Utd brand
-We have the best fans in the world
-We have the worst fans in the world
-Length of service = current quality
-If you're not a 'RAWK Scribe', forget about anyone reading your posts
-Old-timers endlessly whinging
-Cringeworthy writing about personal accounts, with flowery, romantic language used to describe a Pukka Pie
-Constant shouts for boycotts over nothing
-General aura of your opinion being irrelevant if you don't go to the match

Fuck that place. Melting-pot>>>Insularity.

Blablurn

Haha, thats my concern too. Blablurns pride will fall back to us all :/
Bayern GAF: FCB has a sale on the home kits: Regular sizes 50 EUR and player name and number 5 EUR extra.

My girlfriend got me one for Christmas :3

You remember the times when we had the home kit for 2 seasons in a row? lol. Dat adidas cash cow.

I don't think Borini has been a success by any metric. He's provided nothing to us, and been no more than decent for Sunderland imo. Think we'll sell him back to Italy in the summer

And Mourinho should have been tapping up Cavani at the end of May 2013. Or Higuain, who was overpriced, but is fucking boss. How much would Rooney have supposedly cost in the summer, with his contract situation and the premium you'd have paid for being another English club? Regardless, putting all of your eggs in a basket which was always going to fall apart was, well, stupid. Man Utd wanted to be competing for the league this year, and Rooney is their talisman (whether they like it or not)

They were never going to sell him to you, they're not Arsenal.
Or us with Torres, which still stings even if he's been shite since, and had been for 6 months previously

spidye

I hope so. We made the away goal, so its a great advantage. Where is Milch btw. He wouldnt believe 2 weeks ago that Dortmund was the weakest team left in the competition. Wonder what he says now :D

And Madrid :/
Kaka, Bale, Ronaldo...

Bale's price was inflated by Madrid's own reputation for ludicrous transfer fees, case in point Illaramendi in the very same window. Plus he still had 3 years on his contract I think. No other club was even in for him, and Madrid was the only club he wanted to move to.

Plus, being Madrid, they wanted to make a massive transfer as it's what they do to make themselves happy in lieu of La Decima and domination over La Liga.

As cuntish as Barcelona are, thank fuck they exist :p

well yeah barca and madrid are different kinds of evil. they're using tax payer's money to buy their players.

Jack cw

You remember the times when we had the home kit for 2 seasons in a row? lol. Dat adidas cash cow.

Haha, yeah. Well, this season the home kit was the only decent one, so not the biggest deal. I must say I love the new blue/red stripes home kit. Will get it with lewandowski. And tbh the last 4 years had amazing home kits for Bayern.

Blablurn

btw jack. can u get your hands on tickets for the allianz arena? i mean, not for free of course. just in general. i would love to go there one day again. it's been too long since i was there again if you dont count the walkthrough i did with my gf last year. the last game i watched was a DFB Pokal game between München and Nürnberg in 2009 lol. Klinsmann was our coach :/

spidye

Haha, yeah. Well, this season the home kit was the only decent one, so not the biggest deal. I must say I love the new blue/red stripes home kit. Will get it with lewandowski. And tbh the last 4 years had amazing home kits for Bayern.

which new home kit?
is there a pic?

Didn't there used to be a rule saying you can't change your kit every season? Has that just been thrown out the window, feels like we have 6 different kits every year now

Salvadora

The worst of it is, if Ferguson was still at United, Arsenal would be in a stronger position.

He wouldn't have let Liverpool/Chelsea/City take 6 points off him.

Jack cw

btw jack. can u get your hands on tickets for the allianz arena? i mean, not for free of course. just in general. i would love to go there one day again. it's been too long since i was there again if you dont count the walkthrough i did with my gf last year. the last game i watched was a DFB Pokal game between München and Nürnberg in 2009 lol. Klinsmann was our coach :/

Its very difficult at the moment. We have like 300.000 requests for 40.000 seats per match. Even less in CL matches of course. I get tickets some times but mostly for single use. If I get the chance to grab 2 then I'll contact you of course :)

Blablurn

Its very difficult at the moment. We have like 300.000 requests for 40.000 seats per match. Even less in CL matches of course. I get tickets some times but mostly for single use. If I get the chance to grab 2 then I'll contact you of course :)

Maybe next season :) I'm sure would be fun to watch a game with you!

one step closer to barca's shirt.
I'm loving it.

jupp's going to have a heart attack

:lol

subtles

The worst of it is, if Ferguson was still at United, Arsenal would be in a stronger position.

He wouldn't have let Liverpool/Chelsea/City take 6 points off him.
bud cries himself to sleep knowing that Arsenal are the team that failed to beat United.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom