• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT18| Coming Early by L. Piscium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack cw

Didn't there used to be a rule saying you can't change your kit every season? Has that just been thrown out the window, feels like we have 6 different kits every year now

Prices have gotten up for textiles. No joke. Thats why adidas and Nike produce anual resdesigns. Still a shame that they only use PVC as raw material for the kits which costs around 10$ in production, selling it for 84.99 EUR. 20% goes to the clubs though.
Maybe next season :) I'm sure would be fun to watch a game with you!
Would be nothing less than epic. We have to do this somehow. I'll try to get something for the next season. Preferrably against Dormund :D

Blablurn

I love how the British papers say that Rooney was meant to be the "Schwein".

Yeah, right :D

Would be nothing less than epic. We have to do this somehow. I'll try to get something for the next season. Preferrably against Dormund :D

that sounds awesome <3

Jack cw

that sounds awesome <3

1619092_10203302335776962_824573951_n.jpg

spidye

Didn't there used to be a rule saying you can't change your kit every season? Has that just been thrown out the window, feels like we have 6 different kits every year now

I don't think so. we sticked to our home shirt 2 years in a row before this one. looks like we're back to yearly changes.

subtles

If we do win it this season I'm sure Torres would be heartbroken. He told Sturridge we were the best club he's ever played at + mentioned in an interview there was a point two seasons ago where he just stopped caring about Chelsea's results.

He doesn't even seem interested in playing anymore sadly.

If we do win it this season I'm sure Torres would be heartbroken. He told Sturridge we were the best club he's ever played at + mentioned in an interview there was a point two seasons ago where he just stopped caring about Chelsea's results.

He doesn't even seem interested in playing anymore sadly.

He's dead inside.

RIP in peace

I remember bla hyping Torres like crazy back in 2008.

For good reason :p

He was so good. It's a shame he could only combine that ability with good fitness for one season. While it's good for us that he's flopped at Chelsea, it is a shame for the footballing landscape that he's lost it. He was majestic.

Torres makes millions of dollars. Just a reminder so you never feel too bad for him lol

I don't feel hugely bad for him per se (aside from the injuries) since he chose to join Chelsea, ergo he can do one. But from a neutral POV, he should be a player like Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Ibrahimovic etc, someone who makes it worth watching matches for, someone who constantly surprises you with the things they're able to do with a football. Obviously Torres was never technically as good as those 4 with his passing, close control, trickery etc, but he was ridiculously graceful, with a fair amount of brute force in him as well. And he was just deadly for a good 3 seasons when he managed to get on the pitch. He wasn't the best at anything, but as a complete package, he was a beast.

It's better for us that we don't miss him and Chelsea don't want him, and it's hard to feel sorry for him on a personal level, but it's still a shame how badly he's declined.

subtles

We have a Torres-esque player (current El Nino) who plays with us that frustrates me to no end. If I play upfront I don't get the ball, but if I play-a-make and feed him he misses every shot. It gets frustrating with players snapping at your ankles.

I can't imagine what the three behind Torres feel like every week.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We are delighted to announce that The Ledley King Testimonial Committee will be staging a match at White Hart Lane to celebrate Ledley's career on Monday May 12, kick-off 8pm.

Our Legendary former captain will lead a Ledley Guest XI from his playing days against the current First Team on what is sure to be a special night of nostalgia and excitement at the Lane.

Good causes chosen by Ledley will also benefit and will be announced shortly.

I remember when we'd wheel him out to play Liverpool every 4 months and get an easy win. Those were the days...

Feorax

I see Wenger has joined Mourinho in saying no European football has given us an advantage in the title race. That is of course, conveniently forgetting that having no European football meant we didn't have the money or draw to make £40 million signings like Ozil.

We weren't expected to be here just because we only had the domestic competitions, there is a reason people were doubting we would even make top 4 this season.

so whats the theory behind torres decline? the injuries mainly?

A lot of this is rumour and vague memory, so take it as you will

-Has the best season of his career in 07/08
-Keeps getting minor injuries in 08/09, and carries on scoring when he plays
-This continues in 09/10 (this is where the waters get murky)
-At the tail end of 09/10, our medical staff rush him back* as we desperately try and fail to finish higher than 7th
-Torres picks up another injury, reportedly due to being rushed back in the first place
-This injury completely fucks his World Cup
-Hodgson replaces Rafa, uses him as more of a target man
-Torres is injured for the start of 10/11
-When he comes back, he isn't very good. Lost his acceleration (one of his biggest assets) and lost his fire
-Wants out of Liverpool, wants to live in London, contract fast running out, massive wages on offer
-Doesn't improve at Chelsea
-Ends up on the bench, still getting minor injuries every other month
-Falls into a spiral of sportsman's depression
-Present day

*Also rumours that the staff were directed to inform Rafa that Torres was fully fit, but I doubt that is true

Basically, its a combination of him losing his pace, being unwilling to sprint in case he injures himself again, losing his confidence as the problems on the playing side start mounting up, and not having the mental strength to regain that confidence. The phrase 'Torres is back!' isn't just a baseless meme. Numerous times since the beginning of 10/11, he's done something that makes you think he could be back on a path to turning himself into a good striker again. Not as good as he was, but useful. But then he reverts to type, and the cycle starts all over again.

He still shows very odd moments where you remember how good he used to be, but they only come around about once every 3 matches, and they never result in goals any more.

Ah well :(

GorillaJu

Having no CL football helped, but we went from 6th, 8th, 7th to a title challenge. You can try to defend your own twam's deficiencies by pointing out how good everyone else has it, but anyone who has watched Liverpool this year knows why we're up there.

K1LLER7

I think having to compete with Drogba messed up his head. He seemed to stop caring very quickly after he joined Chelsea.
True. Don't think he's very confident anymore, had a swagger about him back then. Plus I don't think he's tried to change his game. Before, many of his goals came from using his pace to just burst past players and finish. Watching that video, I could see him missing so many of those goals if he had the chances now.

3Sixty

I am sure Hartlepool did not realise he was suspended. It was not a case of cheating, but they made a mistake and that player should not have been on the pitch so the three points should go to the opposition. They cannot just deduct the points from Hartlepool. For the sake of fair competition we should be awarded them. All teams play 46 games in a season so it would be unfair if we only played 45 matches. The Football League has to be careful with the decision they make. It does not matter if they did it with intention or not, the only decision they can make in this instance - and I would say the same if my team were the guilty party - is to give the three points to the opposition.

Poyet when Brighton manager when Hartlepool played an ineligible player.

True. Don't think he's very confident anymore, had a swagger about him back then. Plus I don't think he's tried to change his game. Before, many of his goals came from using his pace to just burst past players and finish. Watching that video, I could see him missing so many of those goals if he had the chances now.

He still desperately tries to beat players with his pace, which usually ends up in him running directly into 2 or 3 defenders. The only time he succeeded doing it this season was against Michell and City lol

Why doesn't all team have a Michelle.

thanks for the great answer, hitch!

Bruv, I could talk about how good Torres was til the cows come home :p

We went from having Kuyt and Bellamy up front (much as I love them), to having a genuinely world class striker.

And he was a surprise package as well. Rafa took a huge risk spending so much on him, he'd established a reputation as someone who used to be the most promising striker in the world, but had never quite put it all together at a senior level. Even though he was Atletico's talisman, there were question marks about his suitability to English football and his career goalscoring record (1 in 3 iirc)

Then as soon as he came in, from minute 1, he was just breezing past defenders like they weren't there, scoring all manner of goals (seriously, no 2 Torres goals for Liverpool are the same) and generally being a joy to watch.

Ah well. Maybe some day he'll find his peace :p

LTWheels

The advantage of no European football for us is that Brendan has been able to use the extra time to coach and develop our young players.

Like said, we have not been able to afford or sign top talent like Arsenal, City or Chelsea have done these last two windows.

These teams also have far greater squads than us to cope with the extra games. We effectively play with a 13/14 man squad.

subtles

If you offered Mourinho and Wenger a season without the CL they wouldn't take it. I don't see why they are making a big fuss out of us playing less games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom