• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT18| Coming Early by L. Piscium

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you offered Mourinho and Wenger a season without the CL they wouldn't take it. I don't see why they are making a big fuss out of us playing less games.
They're simply making the point that they believe that's the reason Liverpool are in the position they are in. It's hard to disagree. They're suggesting that a season with more games will see them slide. The capitulation of United and Spurs shouldn't be ignored either. Another two teams that would ordinarily be finishing above Liverpool.

Don't get me wrong, that's not to say Liverpool haven't been good, they have. But I personally don't look at them and think there's a great deal there that I'd have. I just think the squad are on a real high and carrying the momentum through with them each week.

Torres has had 3 years of managers sucking up to him when he hasn't performed maybe a change of tact might work. Although the most likely reason is that everyone at the club just wants to get them off the wage bill ASAP. I was at the Palace game on Saturday and Torres was so poor and disinterested that he deserved to be criticised.
Mourinho can't sign a striker if there are none available and we can't just throw money around anymore because of Financial Fair Play. He did good signing Eto'o who has done well after taking a few months to adjust. He's not scoring loads but his biggest asset is his link up play with the attacking midfielders.
I dont agree that Mourinho has escaped the blame. He is getting lots of criticism especially for letting Lukaku go on loan.

The thing is this season has proven we don't need a 30 goal striker to win the title. Im not saying we're going to win it but look at how far we've got without a striker scoring regularly if we had done a bit better vs Villa/Palace we might have won those games and we'd still be top.

The board wouldn't ditch Torres - fine, I can understand why (stubbornness/stupidity/ego whatever you want to call it) but unfortunately Jose doesn't trust Ba enough to even put him on the bench most of the time and Eto'o has taken a long time to adjust. The fact that they didn't consider a serious plan of competition for Torres is just mind boggling but thats Chelsea. We made a huge mistake in not just signing someone last summer and it was very short sighted, we're in a position where we can compete for trophies at the end of the season but we actually can't because the talent we need isn't there.

Lukaku is such a weird situation the lad is incredibly talented but he pissed Jose off at the start of the season and now seemingly he's going at the end of the season which I think is a huge mistake.

I'd also like to add, its laughable Spurs think they might be able to get him.

Im glad the club are taking FFP seriously because some teams might get in serious shit for it, selling Mata/KdB on the financial side seems like great business at the moment.

Luiz/Mikel/Cole/Lampard/Torres/Ba/Eto'o going should free up enough wages in the first team and some decent transfer money to let us re-do the squad. Lukaku should be given a chance to compete against Diego Costa (assuming we sign him which I think we will)

If we sold some of our loaned out players too that will help - Marin, Moses, Bertrand etc

Someone above said Chelsea fans can't criticise Jose, which isn't true. He's made a huge mistake not playing Ba more and I think he's more than capable if given a run in the team. I also think its pretty clear he hasn't trained Schurrle to play as a striker and has just dumped him in the deep end without properly adjusting him.

José Mourinho;106902101 said:
They're simply making the point that they believe that's the reason Liverpool are in the position they are in. It's hard to disagree. They're suggesting that a season with more games will see them slide. The capitulation of United and Spurs shouldn't be ignored either. Another two teams that would ordinarily be finishing above Liverpool.

Don't get me wrong, that's not to say Liverpool haven't been good, they have. But I personally don't look at them and think there's a great deal there that I'd have. I just think the squad are on a real high and carrying the momentum through with them each week.

The reason we're in the position we're in is because Suarez and Sturridge are playing on another level, and Rodgers has set the team up to play to the strengths of each and every one of the first 11, and has set up the team to give S+S the platform to score the goals required. Simple as that.

Perhaps if Utd and Spurs were having decent seasons, we'd have 6 points less and they'd each have 3 more, but the same goes for you, City and Arsenal (regarding Spurs). And if you go down that road, you're entering a vast expanse of 'what if' territory. Would our points total still see us on or around the top of the table? How many points would they have taken from us? Would they have stopped our momentum? Its meaningless.

That may seem a it defensive, but brushing off our season so far as the result of playing 6-10(barring runs into the CL semis) games less than the opposition, and the capitulation of 2 teams who everyone has to play 4 times over the season is lazy tbh

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The reason we're in the position we're in is because Suarez and Sturridge are playing on another level, and Rodgers has set the team up to play to the strengths of each and every one of the first 11, and has set up the team to give S+S the platform to score the goals required. Simple as that.

Perhaps if Utd and Spurs were having decent seasons, we'd have 6 points less and they'd each have 3 more, but the same goes for you, City and Arsenal (regarding Spurs)

That may seem a it defensive, but brushing off our season so far as the result of playing 6-8 games less than the opposition, and the capitulation of 2 teams who everyone has to play 4 times over the season is lazy tbh
They would have a valid point if everyone around you (top 4 teams?) plays in Europe on weekly basis. But they don't.

It IS an advantage, of course, but not as big as you would imagine.
You guys are in Europe this year?
Group stages and Inferior Europe is still Europe

faridmon

Ignoring the impact Suarez and Sturidge had on Liverpool season would a very short-sighted thing to do. Yes, no Europe did help them to a certain extend, but having two inform strikers would make any team with decent defensive set-up win the title rather easily.

subtles

José Mourinho;106902101 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but;

Historically no team outside of the top three the previous season have went on to win the title.

The top four usually remain the same, bar a change, from the previous season. This happens despite the teams in the places having been preoccupied with European football throughout the season and the ones not in Europe having less games.

There is a strong correlation between expenditure and league position.

I can see where they are coming from but it seems like a deflection more than anything. If we do win it with no European football, which none of them would want anyway, claiming it is the main reason would be underplaying this team's hypothetical achievement.

I would go out on a limb and say Liverpool consistently playing the best Football in the league this season + getting the tactics at the beginning of the game spot on is the reason. No Europe has been a blessing, but it's embarrassing for managers to use it as an excuse to cover up their own shortcomings.

LTWheels

Ignoring the impact Suarez and Sturidge had on Liverpool season would a very short-sighted thing to do. Yes, no Europe did help them to a certain extend, but having two inform strikers would make any team with decent defensive set-up win the title rather easily.

I think it would be wrong to suggest that they are carrying the team. In fact it's the development of our midfield and supporting players that has contributed to our current run. Our strikers have actually been off-form by their standards recently.

Compare the Arsenal game before Xmas to now. That was a team being carried by its strikers. Now we produce the most 'team' performance out of any teams in the league at the moment.

FootballFan

Bruv, I could talk about how good Torres was til the cows come home :p

We went from having Kuyt and Bellamy up front (much as I love them), to having a genuinely world class striker.

People like to complain about "why do only strikers get best player awards" but really, it is the hardest and most important role. A great striker can make an average team good, and a bad striker can make a great team, average.

They have the ability to carry the team. Defenders and midfielders will always be super important, but as any sky sports analyst or arkon would tell you, you win games by scoring goals. Players like Benteke can save Aston Villa, players like Torres or Ba can ruin Chelsea etc.

VqIKzZo.jpg

I might be a few days later on this one, but Januzaj's been named the best player under 20 by GdS.

KidA would be proud.

;_;

io5qsEPmHxnzI.gif

I think Adnan has the highest potential of those players, but think Sterling has been the best this season. The race between him and Adnan died after United's loss to Sunderland because Moyes decided to rest Adnan for two months.

I think it would be wrong to suggest that they are carrying the team. In fact it's the development of our midfield and supporting players that has contributed to our current run. Our strikers have actually been off-form by their standards recently.

Compare the Arsenal game before Xmas to now. That was a team being carried by its strikers. Now we produce the most 'team' performance out of any teams in the league at the moment.

Honestly, I'd say Everton are the team who are most getting the best out of everyone in the team. Even Lukaku, who has been great, has not produced the numbers that'd normally be the difference between an average Everton season, and the one they're having.

#MerseysideRising

Elchele

I think Adnan has the highest potential of those players, but think Sterling has been the best this season. The race between him and Adnan died after United's loss to Sunderland because Moyes decided to rest Adnan for two months.

pretty sure Depay and Çalhanoğlu are a few steps ahead of Adnan in terms of quality
He's more promising than Can, I'll give you that.

Lakitu

st5fu
I dreamt Liverpool won a champions league game last night comfortably, so in a way we are in Europe. No excuses now.

;_;

io5qsEPmHxnzI.gif

Adnan makes passes to the overlapping fullback in behind the last defender look so easy :(

In a way, those Sunderland goals may have put too much pressure on him. They made the media obsess over him, and thus fans everywhere started keeping an eye on his stats. He's a quality player who should really be judged on performances rather than end product at this stage, especially as he's as much a playmaker as he is a direct threat.

With that said, I'm gonna go back to laughing at his goal and assist stats and propping Sterling up as the future of football :p

Is that game actually good?

The user reviews on GAF are great.

"AngryJoe's, Totalbiscuits, insert any name will not change my view that this will be the most disastrous MMorpg post-Star Wars. I will not even spend a dime on that game. In fact someone would have to literally pay me to play it, actually fuck it I wouldn't even play it even if I got paid. That is exactly how I feel about this monstrosity which the price tag is enough to insult me as a gamer let alone a consumer."

This was worse than Final Fantasy XIV 1.0. Let that sink in.

I was mad that this was a freebie with IGN Prime because I never would have experienced this trash if it wasn't for that.

This was the worst game I have played in my entire life. The mere thought of the game triggers an acute case of post traumatic stress disorder. Why, I contemplated suicide every time I forced myself to play it - hell it was, struggling through pure boredom and psx graphics.

xGDEF2Y.jpg

faridmon

That is fair point, yet I still do think that, in order to win any league, you need to have an inform strikers that will score goals no matter the situation and that is an advantage Liverpool have over its competitors. Of course, a decent midfield and organised team do cause the strikers to be at their best, but there are other teams who have decent enough midfield and defence, yet they struggle to make as strong impact in the league as they should just because there isn't a strong enough finisher who could carry (not a team) but the responsibility to win games for the team.

Maybe, my wording was wrong, but my point is, having an inform strikers do a lot for teams, and its a simple short-sightedness to focus on the amount of games played each season, because of no European mid-games action.

#MerseysideRising

Its the 80s again!

I just jinxed our match against Arsenal

pretty sure Depay and Çalhanoğlu are a few steps ahead of Adnan in terms of quality
He's more promising than Can, I'll give you that.

When I see those names I think of Pepe Mel. This isn't good.

edit: I see Depay is the next chosen one after Bakkali failed.

bud23

MARCA; Di María to Monaco, Falcao to City and Agüero to Real Madrid.
Secret meeting between Falcao, Mendes, Perez, Beguiristain and Rybolovlev

According to reports by Spanish sports programme 'Deportes Cuatro', Radamel Falcao was seen having dinner in a Madrid restaurant with Jorge Mendes (the Monaco striker's agent), Txiki Begiristain (Manchester City director of football), Dmitry Rybolovlev (president of the French club) and magnate Peter Lim. Later on, Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez joined the party.

None of the five spoke as they left and while the subject of their dinnertime discussion remains unknown, according to the sports show, the meeting could have been to moot a three-way switch: Di María to Monaco, Falcao to City and Agüero to Real Madrid. The Argentina international, after leaving Atlético Madrid, has always been in the sights of Real Madrid, especially the Bernabéu president himself.

http://www.marca.com/2014/04/03/en/football/real_madrid/1396552509.html

FootballFan redeemed.
‎

Perhaps if Utd and Spurs were having decent seasons, we'd have 6 points less and they'd each have 3 more, but the same goes for you, City and Arsenal (regarding Spurs). And if you go down that road, you're entering a vast expanse of 'what if' territory. Would our points total still see us on or around the top of the table? How many points would they have taken from us? Would they have stopped our momentum? Its meaningless.
Perhaps ourselves and other teams would have dropped points, yes. That doesn't change the fact that ordinarily there are still two other teams forcing Liverpool down the table. So the fact that these two are out of the mix can't be ignored.

I don't argue that Liverpool haven't been set up well. I don't ignore the fact that Sturridge and Suarez have played brilliantly. I'm simply pointing out, and it's not like I'm alone in this thought, that there are other external factors to consider. Liverpool as good as they have been are not simply topping the league because they are a phenomenal footballing force.

Only time will really tell. If a few seasons down the line Liverpool have managed to stay right up there, with extra European fixtures no less, then we all put our hands up and say yup, they're the real deal. But if they end up right back where they have been for a while now, then we call it an anomaly.

subtles

. @Mephopia8 on Twitter clarifies some very interesting points re; Liverpool after attending a FSG dinner. Worth a read.

Elchele

Looks like it. Guess it cost them too much and the talent output isnt that high.
EDIT: Its only for their U23 squad, not the teams below.

I thought all the Bundesliga teams were required to have a reserves team
Leverkusen always ruining everything

btw, I read that neither Augsburg or FV Illertissen are interested in a license to 3.Liga so that pretty much gives Bayern II a very clear shot to play the promotion game for 3.Liga

SIGNING ALERT SIGNING ALERT

Mike Keegan ‏@mikekeeganmen 6m

Breaking: ANOTHER #MUFC SIGNING! Korean company Ottogi are to become an Official Partner of the Club in South Korea.

Leaving you fuckers in the dust off the field. Where it matters obvs.

Walshy

. @Mephopia8 on Twitter clarifies some very interesting points re; Liverpool after attending a FSG dinner. Worth a read.
Can't find him, what's he saying?
Might as well post it.

First of all, I thank FSG for their hospitality. It was such a great night and service at the dinner. Everyone was warm and friendly. I've received more than 50 questions two days ago from everyone when I announced that I'll be at the dinner for FSG. I asked most of them. Let's get down to news that everyone is waiting for. I'll number them and will write whatever they told me.
  • Luis Suarez told them Real Madrid is his dream club last summer. If he leaves Liverpool, he will be going to Real Madrid nowhere else. Suarez promised to do his utmost for Liverpool but if Real Madrid offer £100m, he wants to leave and leave Liverpool good profit. Board is extremely happy with Suarez and how he kept his promise. There is no chance for Suarez to leave Liverpool for anyone except RMadrid. Suarez is also happy with Brendan's philosophy of the game. He thinks this is the best season in his life because of Brendan Rodgers. Having said that, if any club such as Barca or PSG were to offer £100m for Suarez, he will not be leaving. He would only go to Real Madrid.
  • There is uncertainty about CEO position.Some say, he should be someone Liverpool legend. Others say, he should be successful professional. There are some names in their mind about CEO but they can't simply decide right now because team is doing very well. It'll happen in summer.
  • Stadium is Board's first priority. They want to build it as soon as they can. Capacity will be around 60,000 and expandable to 75,000. Board is confident, after building new stadium, Liverpool would surpass Chelsea and Arsenal's total revenue.
  • Liverpool will buy minimum 3 players that can play in first 11 directly. Brendan Rodgers wants to superb start for Champions League. Rodgers wanted Arda Turan from Atletico Madrid last year but they said he is not for sale. He will try again for him in summer. Rodgers wanted Arda Turan most last summer, Board wasn't that convinced.After this year's performance, Board will try to get him for Brendan. If Arda Turan can't be bought, Brendan will go for Konoplyanka but Arda still remains first target. Konoplyanka is ready to come already.
Good for us, it seems the Marca are spreading rumours that Aguero is the main target for Madrid in the summer. Although I'll take everything that guy says with hesitance, after all Twitter ITK's are the worst of all bullshitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom