• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
The second I saw the blue seats, I gave up all hope for tonight. Thought there was a chance that Pepe Mel would show us who he is, but this will be a walkover for City.

Aguero to score more than once, book it.

Indeed. 5-0 written all over it. West Brom can't possibly get a result here. Never. Nope. NOPE.

Elchele

I will agree that PL football is often extremely archaic and formulaic. For instance you basically don't see any consistent pressing in the opponent's half (or even outside your third) from most teams or have them repeat formulaic "send a winger, cross, try to score" attacks ad nauseam. For fuck's sake, half the league still relies on hoofing the ball forward...kick & rush and all that.
But some teams still play fairly modern, show synchronized tactical / spatial movement and all that.
But all in all their league is currently easily the most entertaining out there, especially since it's legitimately contested and not in the claws of an evil hegemon or two.

Yes, that's basically my problem with the EPL. But I guess people who are too close to it can't see it. Obviously the teams in the top 5-6 don't play like that, that's why they are on the top.

If the closeness of the top 5 is the main attraction, I rather watch the Argentina league to be honest. I just can't enjoy football so dull.

I want small teams to play amazing football like Augsburg, Freiburg and others do. Promoting youngsters of their own, playing modern and attacking football... how could I resist. Football at its best (at least for my personal taste).

Obviously Bayern being so far ahead this season is far from being the ideal. I do think we finishing so far ahead last season was right because we were playing amazing football. But this season I'm actually surprised because we weren't half as good as last season, I think Bundesliga coaches didn't know how to play against Pep, they were unfamiliar with his tactics.

D_prOdigy

I like G Nev, but it's obvious he fucking hates this United squad and creams his pants when talking up our rivals - no wonder he wants Moyes to stay :lol

Meier

I think you winning out is quite a task to be honest. Everton match is going to be huge.
Absolutely. For whatever reasons, the players seem have seemed a little hard to motivate late in the season. Really needed to be up for that Sunderland game but they just weren't. Listless.

Damn. Seinfeld is good. Watching it for the first time.

It's so good. Holds up incredibly well even if you've seen the episodes a million times.

It's pretty obvious whom United need
Glengarry_Glen_Ross.jpg

Scum

It would be great to see LvG in another club, that way I could laugh about his craziness without having an impact in our team.

I think whoever gives him more "power" (making him coach and sporting manager) is going to get him. He wants to be able to sell and sign whoever he wants to.

He's exactly the kind of cunt I want at Spurs. No nonsense man who the young players will listen to and wouldn't dare take the piss with him around. He might rub many people up the wrong way, but he's like that old arse Maths teacher that no one seems to like but you just fucking know you'll be getting top marks in his classes if you pay any attention to his lessons.

dc89

There's a "don't sack Moyes" banner at The Etihad.

Also, West Brom fans planned to take a banner complaining about the ticket price for tonight which was £56, which yes, is overpriced. Apparently that banner has been refused entry.

bud23

Can't wait for the RM match. We probably are getting destroyed, but Bayern vs RM matches are always great

Our defense is a complete fucking mess, Bayern will score at least one goal for sure. Getting destroyed? Nah. I think it will be decided in the second leg.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I come to you for a particular .gif request: That Adebayor knee-slide on Arsenal's crowd, I can't seem to find it on Google and it's been posted around here/GAF but not recently to where I can find it. Does anyone have it on hand?

United stuck by Moyes plenty.

But was it enough time and was it really his fault? I found this interesting opinion piece.

Now then. This is a new blog post that I will address to some people I want to address, and talk some shit about the situation we find ourselves in.

Yes, David Moyes is doing spectacularly poorly. David Moyes is seventh in the league, out of the FA Cup and on the end of a defeat in the first leg of the Capital One Cup semi final. Manchester United haven’t excelled over 90 minutes in any game domestically all season. Manchester United play predictably to the point where it’s catastrophically easy for the opposition to stop our attacks and make their own effective.

But:

Moyes has come in at a time when Rio and Vidic have sharply declined and Evra has continued his downward spiral into the very depths of fuck. Carrick, Rooney and van Persie have struggled with injuries all season (of course, this might be partially Moyes’ fault).

That’s six senior experienced players, all of which you’d expect to start. And yet three are slipping in quality fast with their replacements not entirely ready yet, and the other three are or have been injured for large portions of the season.

Ferguson left Moyes with this team; with four potentially great young defenders but none ready to prove it just yet, three on their way out, and Alexander Buttner.

With a central midfield made up of a 40 year old, a 32 year old, someone with a debilitating disease, a number ten transformed into a number six by way of a number 23, a number 41 and two number 57s hold the fucking soy sauce.

With an extremely one footed winger, an extremely selfish winger, and an extremely exceptionally shit fucking pussy of a winger.

And four strikers. One of which wanted out, and is showing some good form for a manager everyone assumed he’d have a problem with. Currently injured. One who scored a few goals but has returned to the perennially injured state he was a few years ago. One who has also suffered his fair share of injuries this season but is young and improving. And one who is as only as good as the service he gets, which is diabolical at the moment.

Do I think he’s made mistakes? Certainly, especially post-match and definitely on the pitch. We’ve been lacking in energy and desire, in unpredictability and penetration, in calm, measured, attractive football, and in tactical decisions from the bench. Moyes absolutely has to improve in these regards.

But he came to United a month and a half later than necessary because we didn’t want to pay up. He missed out on transfer targets because we didn’t want to pay up. He has been left with a squad that, counting the injuries we’ve had this year and the improvement of the other title rivals, Ferguson would be probably just about scraping fourth with.

Moyes deserves our time. He deserves to build his own squad. He deserves to have a run with a fit squad. He deserves to be given the keys to the kingdom that Pellegrini, Mourinho, Rodgers, Wenger and (tee hee) Baldini were.

The summer was a catastrophe and I find it hard to blame Moyes much for it. He was walking into a job that the greatest British manager in an era had given up, and not to mention Gill, and then he was expected to use the negotiating powers of the big boys to go after the big players.

Now, Pellegrini came in to a club that will spend money, having the experience of working at Madrid. Mourinho came to a club that will spend money. Arsenal have Wenger, who has enough credit in the bank that he could sanction 40m signings.

Liverpool’s summer signings remain to be seen if they’re a success for the majority, but the ones that are looking most likely (Mig and Sakho) are ones that came in positions we didn’t need; who knew that Rio and Evans would drop off so much, that Jones – one of our best players this season – would be injured, and we certainly didn’t need a goalkeeper.

Spurs sold someone for 100m.

Moyes came into a club where the owners are particularly tight when it comes to spending money, where Gill and Ferguson had gone, and in his place came a Glazer man and more importantly not a football man. A banker, I think? Of course he’s going to be a tight cunt with money.

Moyes spent 27m on Fellaini; it’s a lot of money, but Fellaini cost 15m for Everton and had proven absolutely worth that money. After continual fuck ups by a) Woodward at the negotiating table and b) the Glazers for not sanctioning another fucking ten million for Woodward to put towards Fabregas, Moyes was left with no choice but to go for what he knows. An understandable decision I think, even if Fellaini was overpriced.

————-

Ignoring the squad he made at Everton is fucking ludicrous. There is some absolutely absurd retrospective editing to his time there, I heard all manner of bullshit when Everton went to Arsenal and got a 1-1 draw. “MARTINEZ GIVING BARKLEY A CHANCE” = Moyes played Barkley at a younger age at the Emirates in a 0-0 draw last season. “SUCH ATTACKING SPIRIT AT OLD TRAFFORD” = Moyes drew 4-4 at Old Trafford a few years ago. “THEY HAVE FINALLY BEATEN MANCHESTER UNITED” = Beat United only last season. There was no mention of home or away from the commentator.

They played good vibrant football based on the same way Moyes plays football with us, and that is partly the reason he was picked to manage us. He plays a 4-2-3-1/4-4-2, same as Fergie, and anyone who says Everton were boring to watch last year are following a media narrative and being fucking stupid counts. They weren’t. Have they improved this year? Yes, but they’ve taken advantage of two expensively assembled squads who have no need for talents like Lukaku and Barry right now and can just lend them out for a year instead of Everton actually committing to purchasing them, and they can even take someone from Barcelona.

There’s an Everton fan who is the most disrespectful, illegible fucking ape sometimes. I like him, but he talks utter cock a lot. Moyes consistently finished fifth, sixth, even fourth once and got knobbed out of the CL by a dodgy penalty decision if I remember correctly, with a far poorer squad than he had now in a stronger period for the league. Finished above Liverpool a fair few occasions, and it’s entirely disrespectful to claim after a few months in the job that Moyes was holding Everton back and Martinez will take them to the cusp of fucking immortality and relentless cock gobblings by flavour of the month mangoes. Let’s see where Everton are at the end of the year, hmm?

I’m not even Moyes’ biggest fan. But he’s been fucked over by Fergie, the Glazers, and a lot of his players this season. He has to take a huge portion of the blame, but that has to be shared. The injuries might be his fault, but they might not. If they’re not, then he’s working without two or three of the only quality players Ferguson left him with and that can’t be attributed to him.

PLUG talks about Di Matteo winning the CL with Chelsea, conveniently ignoring the fact they finished sixth themselves with a stronger squad than we have now, and ignoring the fact that they were lucky not to have two crucial penalties scored against them in the final and the semi final. There’s cunt words like ‘deserve’ and ‘you make your own luck’ bandied around, and then there’s Drogba kicking people every five minutes and great players like Messi and Robben missing pens. That’s fucking DEVIL FUCKING DEALS.

Chelsea also lost at Sunderland not two weeks ago. No one called for Mourinho’s head there, and they’ve got a better squad than us and a better manager, and they went out earlier. Granted they’re doing much better in the league but “teetering on the edge” in the COC is better than not being in it.

He’s not clueless, as proven with his work at Everton. Liverpool hired Rodgers who had one promotion under his belt. I don’t subscribe to the notion that you have to have won every fucking thing under the sun in order to prove you’re good enough to work at a top club. I think Moyes proved that at Everton to be honest.

Maybe he’s the wrong fit for the club, but it’s not through lack of managerial ability if that is the case.

CLEFF

“all we do is send the ball wide and whip in crosses” – we did this under Ferguson but our best strikers weren’t injured and the players were just playing better. Maybe both of these are Moyes’ faults, in which case he should be accountable. But maybe they aren’t and our players are just fucking gobshites.

“maybe its because we have such a poor midfield” – no fucking shit. Ferguson has a lot to answer for in that regard.

“he had the chance to remedy that last summer but he cocked that up” – again, I find it hard to give him the lion’s share of the blame for the summer; not because I genuinely believe he’s fucking Moyeezus, but because the club let Gill and Ferguson go at the same time, seemed unwanting to cough up for the big players, and Woodward is a fucking novice.

Moyes’ main faults to me so far are his absolutely embarrassing post match comments, including referee performances and transfer business bullshit that makes him sound like he has no idea what he’s doing, and the fact he got rid of an established back room staff. But that second point, he’s a coach on the training field, far more so than Fergie was at this point. We can’t simultaneously say ‘he has to be his own man’ and then chastise him when he wants to take matters into his own hands with that.

Do I believe we should spend money this January, even if we have to overpay? Yes. Do I believe the Glazers and Woodward have a massive say in if that’s possible? Yes. So it’s unfair to blame Moyes for that. On one hand he might just be tempering expectation because he’s been told he can’t have a war chest and he’s the one taking bullets for it.

I might sound overly defensive, but it’s pissing me off the amount of people who are placing the blame solely on him.

Linius

He's too focussed on the Dutch league. He rather picks mediocre players who play weekly over better players who don't have a regular spot at their club. At one point he called up Paul Verhaegh, no one even knew the guy existed :p

The biggest problem is that he keeps switching around players, so I honestly have no idea how we'll play in Brazil at this point.

Scum

I come to you for a particular .gif request: That Adebayor knee-slide on Arsenal's crowd, I can't seem to find it on Google and it's been posted around here/GAF but not recently to where I can find it. Does anyone have it on hand?

ie62tjkOl2Awo.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom