• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulga

Banned
Benzema has come a long way...

10247251_791742470859050_8937330110881609938_n.jpg

but i thought pep said we didn't even string 3 passes together

WHAT NOW PEPOSA

pulga

Banned
Fair play to Benz.

I give him shit, and he isn't a top striker, but he has his place.

To be honest given the personalities around him you perhaps need someone a little less demanding in the centre. Someone with enough pace to trouble the defenders so Bale and Ronaldo can find the space.

Not a "top striker"

Fucking hell

I'll maybe give you "world class striker", but he is absolutely a top striker, if not a world class player as he contributes much, much more than only goals to the team

Liverpool being first has done you in faster than Wilbur can say "chicken fumes"

Interesting piece over at arseblog on how we changed style after losing our counter-attacking threat...

In fact, I watched Carl Jenkinson say so back in July. With 4th place really on the line, Arsenal reverted to a more conservative, ‘stand offish’ defensive style. It was almost as if Bould had finally won his ideological battle with the manager – admittedly, I’m not privy to the goings on at London Colney, so I have no idea if that is actually the case. Arsenal adopted a style of play that saw them sit deeper and create a solid line for the opposition to try to break through.

The Gunners continued with that style into the new season and a distinct pattern emerged. It wasn’t as swashbuckling as previous Wenger sides (4-1 home victories against Sunderland and Norwich remain our most convincing victories of the season to date), but it was just as effective. Our average possession stats were down 7% on last season by January 1st but we topped the table. As of 2nd February, Arsenal had won 10 of their home games by a 2-0 score line. We haven’t repeated that result in our favour since.

It was eminently noticeable in the shoeings at Anfield and Stamford Bridge that the full backs and midfielders were playing much higher up the pitch. Think Monreal at Anfield and Gibbs at Stamford Bridge and at least four of those eleven goals will flash through your memory. I had originally thought that the reason for this irresponsible adventurousness was due to a psychological flaw. I could not countenance that the players had been instructed to play in this way, given the success of our more stand offish style.

Yet at Hull on Sunday I noticed just how high up the pitch Mertesacker and Koscielny were playing. Hull very nearly picked through us with simple balls over the top on a couple of occasions in the first half. This simply wasn’t happening earlier in the season, when the centre halves were much closer to their goalkeeper and well shielded by Arteta and / or Flamini. The ‘rope a dope’ style has so clearly been discarded for a few months now I feel.

[...]

Maybe the reason for change, as I perceive it, isn’t entirely ideological on Wenger’s part. It could be that he felt that it wasn’t possible to action a clinical, counter attacking style based on quick transitions without Ramsey and Walcott. Losing our best passer in Özil somewhat compounded this. At Hull on Sunday, that swift, clinical side kicked in again, with Özil starting moves and the waspish Ramsey buzzing around Hull’s penalty area.

Much more at the link.

There is a fair bit of truth to it. I do prefer the way we played throughout 2013. It was solid as fuck at the back, then Ramsey & Ozil added the necessary magic to balance things out.

wedward

Not a "top striker"

Fucking hell

I'll maybe give you "world class striker", but he is absolutely a top striker, if not a world class player as he contributes much, much more than only goals to the team

Liverpool being first has done you in faster than Wilbur can say "chicken fumes"

His numbers are pretty great. 32 20 24 goals. 15 20 14 assists.

Salvadora

It seems like you're arguing over semantics, Pulga.

Think Arnie was clearly saying that Benzema isn't in the top tier of strikers. Which is true.

Arnie

Think Arnie was clearly saying that Benzema isn't in the top tier of strikers. Which is true.
It is true.

Rather not even bother with Pulga's nonsense. Had him on ignore and there's just less guff around the thread.

Every opinion is an example of "chicken fumes" or Liverpool's success going to my head.

I've been saying Benzema's not a top tier striker since before he knew who Isco was. Liverpool were seventh at that time, it was a year ago today.

pulga

Banned

Don't we have a strict ranking regarding this?

1. World-class Striker
  2. Top Striker
  3. Striker
  4. Olivier Giroud

and looooool at Arnie, the bigger the success, the softer they become.

c r y m o a r

FootballFan

It is true.

Rather not even bother with Pulga's nonsense. Had him on ignore and there's just less guff around the thread.

Every opinion is an example of "chicken fumes" or Liverpool's success going to my head.

I've been saying Benzema's not a top tier striker since before he knew who Isco was. Liverpool were seventh at that time, it was a year ago today.

Man the Chelsea game is going to be massive. Liverpool must do it, for their fans, for their city, for football and most importantly for Steven 'Farking' Gerrard.

Pls.

dc89

Benz is not a top class striker. He reminds me of Dzeko in the fact he makes so many mistakes and misses, gets the easy stuff horribly wrong. But every now and then he will do something which is genuinely brilliant and if makes you believe.

Arnie

Benz is not a top class striker. He reminds me of Dzeko in the fact he makes so many mistakes and misses, gets the easy stuff horribly wrong. But every now and then he will do something which is genuinely brilliant and if makes you believe.
I think Dzeko's better than Benz.

Benz is perfect for the Real system, though. As I say, he's got his place and he suits the way they play, but he isn't a top tier striker.

I don't actually think Real need one.

pulga

Banned
Benzema would rip the shit out of the EPL if he had a team playing for him. As it stands, the main man in Madrid is Ronaldo, not him, so our game adjusts accordingly.

Don't we have a strict ranking regarding this?

1. World-class Striker
  2. Top Striker
  3. Striker
  4. Olivier Giroud

and looooool at Arnie, the bigger the success, the softer they become.

c r y m o a r

Wrong

1. World-class Striker
  2. Top Striker
  3. Great Striker off bench/Poacher
  4. Donkey
  5. Altidore shit

bud

benzema's better than dzeko. dzeko is strictly a poacher and yet he misses chances quite often whereas benzema is more of an all-round central forward. would rather have a player like that in my team. he's not a top player, but he's pretty decent.

Lakitu

st5fu
Cock ring

I dunno

Kids are weird

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Cochrane_(witch)

bike

cochrane

cochrane = witch

cochrane similar to robbie coltrane aka hagrid

hagrid rides a bike that flies

its like harry potter all over again

you're a wizard, 'akitu

Sound theories guys, and a lot of work with yours Carbonox. Kudos to you.

I've also done a little research and Cochrane was also a satanic sex toy in the 1800s.

I do hope it's the wizard one though. Don't quite fancy the other two.

dc89

I think Dzeko's better than Benz.

Benz is perfect for the Real system, though. As I say, he's got his place and he suits the way they play, but he isn't a top tier striker.

I don't actually think Real need one.

He's better than Dzeko.

Dzeko is strange. He strikes the ball so cleanly...but bent...

I remember watching Dzeko for the first time at a game. He was tripping over the ball and all of a sudden he just strikes and it just rockets into the net. It was a Europa league game so maybe that had something to do with it.

Jarnet87

"soft conversations" lol

idiots

With that in mind, wonder is William Carvahlo is going to come if its Van Gaal. Reading his interviews he says he likes a "Xavi or Guardiola" for the deep midfielder...and Willy C ain't that.

He used Van Bommel at Bayern and Carvalho looks better then any option we have in midfield right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Cochrane_(witch)

bike

cochrane

cochrane = witch

cochrane similar to robbie coltrane aka hagrid

hagrid rides a bike that flies

its like harry potter all over again

you're a wizard, 'akitu

Sound theories guys, and a lot of work with yours Carbonox. Kudos to you.

I've also done a little research and Cochrane was also a satanic sex toy in the 1800s.

I do hope it's the wizard one though. Don't quite fancy the other two.

iqpccN7R6CWUV.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom