• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the fuck is going on with Rodgers?

Goes like 3 months of exceptional form keeping his head down, avoiding headlines and just saying whatever it takes to keep things smooth as we try and extend this run for as long as possible then BOOM, he starts having a pop.

He's not wrong with what he says, but it's strange to start saying it this close to the end of the line. Wonder if he's planned this change in attitude at the conferences. It'll have no negative effect whatsoever on Chelsea and Man City, it won't lessen the expectations of the fans, and it does provoke fans into saying he has a lack of grace and respect. Whether that bothers him at all is another question.

Either way, extend that contract forever and ever pls

You're on the front foot now - it's good to be aggresive and to stick your chest out. Players and the club have such belief right now, the best thing to do is to embrace it instead of stepping back.

He didn't say anything that cuntish anyway, if at all, from what I've seen.

Jarnet87

Hasn't Van Gaal said he wants his future sorted out before sometime in !at so he can focus on the World Cup.

At least United Bros won't have to wait long for finding out who the new boss will be.

I haven't read that anywhere. The sooner we appoint someone the better. Who the hell knows what is going on. maybe were not fully sold on van Gaal and working on someone else, maybe were trying to negotiate with the Netherlands FA to get him in the job right away.

José Mourinho;109463812 said:
Well you can't match the global talent pool by sheer numbers. Of course there's talent in England, and of course a lot of it is very good, but no matter how good your development, you're still going to find more and better talent elsewhere.

As for thinking about it. It's a tough one. Perhaps if teams are forced to have X amount of local players that they would then have to try harder in developing them. But since there's currently no real infrastructure of note, you probably run the risk of reducing the over all quality of the talent, and thus the league, at least until the the development picks up, and that's assuming it ever does or that it's even worth it in the end. Which, since most clubs don't seem overly arsed. Seems like it probably isn't, at least from their point of view.
Well we have a greater population than Spain, Germany, France, Holland, Italy or Belgium - they're all developing talents.

Of course clubs can cherry pick from wherever they like, so there is an aspect of, well you better be damn good if we're going to bother with you. And that's where your second point comes in which I agree with. I don't think restrictions are ever a good solution and we need a natural progression of our players coming into the league...but it has to be a bit of both. For sure though, the infrastructure is the key and without that players will not improve. Problem is, to alot of clubs it makes no difference. Like Chelsea - who have an academy producing alot of good players right now but probably won't get a shot.

I really don't agree that it's not worth it though. Liverpool have a very good youth team right now. A number of those players could be in the first team soon (I don't count Sterling). That's brilliant for them if it works out - it'll save them a load of money. United are on the other end, we don't have that quality to replace the free players we did have...now we have to spend loads to replace it.

Don't you guys have real pizzeria restaurants that have takeaways (or even deliver)? Pizza chains are just not very appealing to me.
Not many authentic ones. Most of them are restaurants more than takeaway/deliveries.

Meier

CDM is where it's at mun. You're involved in both the attack and defensive play, and can if needed go out on the wing or whatever during counters. I have played way too much left back for believe FC during the beginning, I was pretty much Bryan Oviedo, always up in the other teams box.

I used to play with the pro camera at all times so I liked going through the middle because I could actually see everything in front of me. Usually would be a CAM if I could but did occasionally play as a CDM if we had enough players on. Now that I switched to the typical side to side camera, I just prefer being on the wings. It feels a little congested trying to go through the middle with the way the camera is. If I'm playing on the wing, I can send those long through balls that split the defense far more easily. In that game I pictured above, we scored in the 4th minute thanks to one -- second assist came via a corner. My guy is a wingback so he retains a lot of the attacking ability from all the time I spent as a midfielder (and as a striker). It's nice. 12 tackles was probably a record for me.. definitely a record.

Kidd is a fucking gorm.
That may be true, but he's at least experienced. A bunch of ~40 year olds with little to no coaching history are probably not suited to be solely in charge of coaching a top 4-5 club in the world. If they keep them in charge, they need a Rene or someone like I said before. Someone who can actually provide some tactical assistance that just being a really good player in the past doesn't necessarily provide.

Elchele

I'm having the same problem as Viva but the other way around, there's no "american" pizza chains here, so all we have is italian style pizza. It's good and all, but I do miss some Dominos

Clegg

I haven't read that anywhere. The sooner we appoint someone the better. Who the hell knows what is going on. maybe were not fully sold on van Gaal and working on someone else, maybe were trying to negotiate with the Netherlands FA to get him in the job right away.
I don't think there's anyone other the Van Gaal tbh, unless you want Giggs. And no way will he leave his job before the world cup. He's never managed his country in a world cup and this is his last chance to do so.

kharma45

Well have a greater population than Spain, Germany, France, Holland, Italy or Belgium - they're all developing talents.

I apologise if I'm reading this wrong but I've had a few drinks. France and Germany has more people than the UK as a whole.

If you just count just England Italy is bigger too.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm quite proud of the fact United regularly has British players in the line up; I'm not fussed about the amount of foreign players in the league, nor do I fink dey shuld all go bak 2 deyre own cuntry

But it's nice to have a British team with a British core, or a large amount of British players. Part of the reason Barcelona were as vaunted as they were, besides playing style or the amount of success they had, is they did it with a homegrown, Spanish core.

Was this posted yet?

Nike World cup ad - Winner Stays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XviR7esUvo&feature=youtu.be

Don't think so, cheers man.

Hixx

WHAT!? They're using Miss Alissa in the background. That's fucking weird. My wife spells her name that way which is pretty unusual so she's always had a soft spot for this song. Peace, Love, Death Metal.

iboMpoLHlEJSNi.gif

I'm quite proud of the fact United regularly has British players in the line up; I'm not fussed about the amount of foreign players in the league, nor do I fink dey shuld all go bak 2 deyre own cuntry

But it's nice to have a British team with a British core, or a large amount of British players. Part of the reason Barcelona were as vaunted as they were, besides playing style or the amount of success they had, is they did it with a homegrown, Spanish core.

Don't think so, cheers man.
And look at them now, the miserable bastards. Regularly slated and hated on by the godlike minds of FootyGAF.

I agree with somebody who posted earlier in that I think better development is good for the national team and the few additional superstars who would make to bigger clubs. I just don't know that it would improve the overall quality of the league or even produce that many vastly improved young English players that it would make a big or worthwhile difference.

Elchele

I never will.

It was my country that knocked them out if the playoffs.

LVG got so desperate that he stuck four strikers on the pitch after 70 minutes.

Like the Olic-Klose-Gomez moments. good stuff
well, it paid off sometimes, specially in CL

I apologise if I'm reading this wrong but I've had a few drinks. France and Germany has more people than the UK as a whole.

If you just count just England Italy is bigger too.

Whoops you are right, I was thinking UK.

Can't be that much difference though?

Had no idea Germany has 80m people though. Thought it was similarish to UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom