• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegoArmo

If you only take into account exclusives. I can see how you would be disappointed, but with multi platform and cross-gen games there's been almost too much I wanted to play on my PS4.

Worth the 350, for sure.

Jack cw

Yurt,
do you remember the PS2 generation? The first game that had some serious appeal was Gran Turismo 3 more than 1 year after the initial Japan launch and for some people like there was the MGS2 demo but it was still after the E3 2001 when GTA3, MGS2 and FFX were released until 2002. Even last gen with the 360, there was basically only Oblivion and for some maybe Condemned, but it really got steam with Gears a year after launch. I guess E3 will be pretty good this year.

LTWheels

The only interesting and inventive games being made at the moment are indie games, of which 99% are available on the PC for very cheap, without the need to a next gen console or even an expensive PC. The only interesting AAA games at the moment IMO) are coming from the PC side with stuff like dota and hearthstone.

The problem is, is that on the next gen consoles all we are seeing is the same games design of last gen with slightly prettier graphics.

The transition from the PS2 gen to 360/PS3 saw the extra power being used in ways to make games that they not really possible on previous gens, like Dead Rising, or to 'modernise' games.

Basically we are still waiting for this gens Gears of War/Assassin Creed to show us something new. But so far we are only seeing service-based innovations rather than something radical. Studios are just putting MMO/Phantasy Star Online style connectivity into all types of games. Not really that inventive or new.

The transition from the PS2 gen to 360/PS3 saw the extra power being used in ways to make games that they not really possible on previous gens, like Dead Rising, or to 'modernise' games.

Apart from it's exactly the same as last launch. It was just cross-gen ports and better looking games. Let's not pretend Dead Rising was a transitional game when it came out close to a year after the 360 launched.

Diminishing returns innit.

L1NETT

You bought one, didn't you?

Nope. They didn't release any software so I didn't.

Sharing a mate's PS4 and probably won't get my own till after E3 and some decent software announcements.

---

Reeeeeealy want to get a 3DS though. Best games lineup bar none.

Salvadora

The only interesting and inventive games being made at the moment are indie games, of which 99% are available on the PC for very cheap, without the need to a next gen console or even an expensive PC. The only interesting AAA games at the moment IMO) are coming from the PC side with stuff like dota and hearthstone.

The problem is, is that on the next gen consoles all we are seeing is the same games design of last gen with slightly prettier graphics.

Basically we are still waiting for this gens Gears of War/Assassin Creed to show us something new. But so far we are only seeing service-based innovations rather than something radical. Studios are just putting MMO/Phantasy Star Online style connectivity into all types of games. Not really that inventive or new.
Your lack of interesting and inventive next generation experiences sounds like you have missed Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker and New Super Mario Bros U.

TeddyBoy

If we assume we're converting Lucas to a B2B midfielder, then you would think that having 2 of him, Coutinho, Henderson and Allen to play in front of Gerrard would be enough depth.

Who is Gerrard's understudy going forward though in that Xabi Alonso deep-playmaker role? I know Suso sometimes plays deeper of Spain, could he do it? Or are we going to have to go out and buy?

Gerrard himself will probably be benched next season, we're looking at Rakitic and Pjanic to replace Gerrard.

We also seemed to be interested in Lars Bender but I'm not sure if we'll move for him now with Lucas' conversion.

Next season Gerrard will probably be part of the extended squad and act as cover when others get injured.

I don't really know where Suso fits in right now, Rodgers has quite a few big calls on youth players in the summer.

Regarding the Milner talk, yes he'll be available for cheap and yes he could do a job for us, there are just better options in the market right now.

LTWheels

Apart from it's exactly the same as last launch. It was just cross-gen ports and better looking games. Let's not pretend Dead Rising was a transitional game when it came out close to a year after the 360 launched.

Diminishing returns innit.

Yes although there were cross-gen ports as well last time, just the fact they were HD was enough to get people exicited. Now going from HD to slightly more HD is not exciting, especially as we have seen PC version of games being played at 60fps 1080p or above.

Your lack of interesting and inventive next generation experiences sounds like you have missed Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker and New Super Mario Bros U.

Problem with Nintendo games is that they hold their price way too well..

GorillaJu

I don't think even Hearthstone or Dota should be considered 'interesting' if you're disqualifying console releases for lack of innovation. I mean Dota is a like-for-like copy (with updated graphics) of a game that has been out for almost 10 years. Valve's support for the game, the way they host the International, make it a different proposition and the game itself is very good, but there's nothing new about it. In fact nearly all of the social functions that Valve implemented had been done before in HON. Valve just improved them and expanded on it.

Hearthstone is just another addictive Blizzard skinner box.

I agree that most of the most fun games to come out recently have been indie games. But some of that has to do with expectations. Indie games are allowed to get away with being quirky, being short, having graphical bugs or insane physics... all these things that are charming when done in a small package by a small team. Put the weight of expectation on them and a big budget and what they produce will not be too far from what AAA studios are doing.

I think that consoles need a shift back toward fun, mid-budget adventure, puzzle and RPG games, and to me this is where Sony is succeeding with the developers they've been bringing on, and MS is really failing.

--

Where is all this talk of Lucas as a box-to-box midfielder coming from? Just speculation based on how he's been played when coming on as a sub recently? He was a box-to-box midfielder when Rafa signed him, then trained to play as a DM.

Carbonox

I have 5 PS4 games, 2 of which are exclusives, one of those utter dross (Killzone). I'll get Watch Dogs next month otherwise nawt until September.

Jack cw

Tha is the same as every gen with its transistion. You have only a small installed base and typically wait for the 10 million mark to release current gen only titles and we already seen those improvements. I never played an open world game like Assassins Creed with steady framerate on PC and the PS4 version is locked 30 fps which helps the immersion so much and affects gameplay. Something that wasnt possible on PS360. It will take some time until we see innovations based on better hardware, but they will come. The new Batman game will feature driving for example, which wasnt possible before, the new Witcher breaks the size of the game world and isnt nearly a shallow as Skyrim, Dragon Age Inquisition offers so much detail variety in armor and weapons as well as map size. Those things might sound like bigger and better, but I dont need quadruple A games to blow me away. I want more level of detail to help the immersion, like realistic animation, clothes, physics, hair, lighting.

Yen

Gerrard himself will probably be benched next season, we're looking at Rakitic and Pjanic to replace Gerrard.

We also seemed to be interested in Lars Bender but I'm not sure if we'll move for him now with Lucas' conversion.

Next season Gerrard will probably be part of the extended squad and act as cover when others get injured.

I don't really know where Suso fits in right now, Rodgers has quite a few big calls on youth players in the summer.

Regarding the Milner talk, yes he'll be available for cheap and yes he could do a job for us, there are just better options in the market right now.
Pretty sure Gerrard will still be a starter next season. He's still got it!
It would be interesting to see an Allen-Suso-Coutinho midfield next season in the cups, if Brendan wanted to be adventurous/crazy.

jamie jackson ‏@JamieJackson___ 11m

Guardiola on Kroos:"[Rummenigge and Sammer] will do everything to keep Toni. But it is up to Toni. He is a young person, its his decision."

Just sack it in and become a Moyes Boy, Toni.

We'll pay you lots and you won't even have to play that well because Moyes expects less for his money.

Jack cw

Just sack it in and become a Moyes Boy, Toni.

We'll pay you lots and you won't even have to play that well because Moyes expects less for his money.

So the eraliest he would leave is 2015, that should give at least a year to get a decent replacement. Fabregas, Koke, Gündogan (if he gets well again), Pogba, Marchisio...

GorillaJu

whats a transistor

It's by the guys who did BASTION. Sci-fi ARPG

yRKXFwm.jpg

TeddyBoy

Pretty sure Gerrard will still be a starter next season. He's still got it!
It would be interesting to see an Allen-Suso-Coutinho midfield next season in the cups, if Brendan wanted to be adventurous/crazy.

Gerrard can still play for sure, but I think we can find better midfielders now, Gerrard can't play forever!

That would be an adventurous/crazy midfield and could very easily be over run, I'd only really be happy with that midfield in the cups against lower tier opposition.

Carbonox

Still haven't played Red Dead Redemption. Would like to but probably will just wait for the inevitable follow up Red Dead Revengeance.

L1NETT

Red Dead is fucking ace Carbo, get on that. When you
enter Mexico
is absolute gold.

Speaking of new games, Transitor looks mint as does (inb4 Hixx) Child of Light looks gorgeous

Just give me a new Red Dead game, that's all I ask.

Fallout 4, Deus Next, Mass Effect (worried about it), Witcher 3, Red Dead Redvengance

Let's gooooooooo

Carbonox

Red Dead is fucking ace Carbo, get on that. When you
enter Mexico
is absolute gold.

Speaking of new games, Transitor looks mint as does (inb4 Hixx) Child of Light looks gorgeous

Fallout 4, Deus Next, Mass Effect (worried about it), Witcher 3, Red Dead Redvengance

Let's gooooooooo

Deus Ex and Mass Effect pls. Human Revolution was superb and despite Mass Effect 3's shit ending, it was still a fucking brilliant game (ME2 is still the best though). The idea of a new generation Mass Effect makes my elbows sweat.

Salvadora

Deus Ex and Mass Effect pls. Human Revolution was superb and despite Mass Effect 3's shit ending, it was still a fucking brilliant game (ME2 is still the best though). The idea of a new generation Mass Effect makes my elbows sweat.
Always thought the ending of Mass Effect 3 took away attention from it being a shit game.

subtles

It seems Boca Juniors reportedly have an agreement with Liverpool to play the pending 1978 Intercontinental Cup game in 2015.

This would be brilliant if true.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Still haven't played Red Dead Redemption. Would like to but probably will just wait for the inevitable follow up Red Dead Revengeance.

I tried RDR last year! Everything about it was great, but I just wasn't in the mood for ANOTHER sandbox game.

Can we please kill sandbox games? It's just a gimmick and most of the time I'm doing fetch quests or delivering someone from A to B.

Mini-sandboxes like Deus Ex are fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom