• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Mirko Vucinic on twitter is the best thing ever.
KuGsj.gif

How can I hate someone with a mustache that dumb :)

ibe8PhbOBjx327.gif

Meier

At the time when he signed from Barca Yaya was the highest paid player in the league. I don't know if that's still true or not now, but I know he does earn £300+ a week.

This is how it was reported when he signed:

The newspaper claims the 27-year-old, who joined City in a £24 million deal from Barcelona last week, signed a five-year-deal worth a staggering £55.6m.

Toure will be picking up a basic wage of £185,000 a week before tax but that figure will increase to £221,000 when the Government's 50% tax bracket comes into force.

On top of his unbelievable basic wage, the Ivory Coast international will also be getting an image rights payment of £1.65m a year plus an additional £823,000 bonus each time City qualify for the Champions League.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/engla...city-make-yaya-toure-the-highest-paid-premier

Here is an article from when Rooney signed his new deal:
The contract makes Rooney the highest paid player in the Premier League, overtaking Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure who is reported to be on a mere £220,000 per week.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/engla...ew-manchester-united-deal-worth-250000-a-week

It is possible when you add in incentives and that image rights bit, etc., it's over £300,000, but the Yahoo article said his base salary was $25,000,000 (which is about £15,500,000 or £77,500,00 over 5 years).

Another match-fixing scandal in Italy? Sheesh.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/7905255/italy-fixing-probe-targets-61-people-22-clubs

Might explain that bungle by Buffon the other day...

Edit: Oops, I can't read -- headline once you click through the link mentions this is for Serie B.
It's a scandal that has been around since last year, it has teams from Serie A (Bari was one of them) and B. Don't know why the article says that it's only for Serie B, though.

One of Bari's players and former captain, Masiello, scored an own goal during the derby against Lecce, just to be sure that his team would lose that particular match and that he would eventually earn the money that he bet on that game. You can see it at 3:25:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOOREwTbksM&feature=related

I don't want to see the name Traore ever again.

What the FUCK Wenger
uOHt7.gif
We gave you HENRY
uOHt7.gif

Edit: Oh, excuse me... Traorè
iknowthatfeelbro.jpg

Two appearances, not a single goal, only one year. Maybe one of Galliani's biggest mistakes.

flyover

I love Assou-Ekotto. On his future at Spurs:

"A few months ago, I said I never wanted to play in the Europa League because that competition is useless."

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Liverpool actually had men in the box just then. Shame it took 37 games.

GQman2121

Banned
This is how it was reported when he signed:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/engla...city-make-yaya-toure-the-highest-paid-premier

Here is an article from when Rooney signed his new deal:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/engla...ew-manchester-united-deal-worth-250000-a-week

It is possible when you add in incentives and that image rights bit, etc., it's over £300,000, but the Yahoo article said his base salary was $25,000,000 (which is about £15,500,000 or £77,500,00 over 5 years).

I don't know what to tell you. I just remember the reports were that he was getting over £300. It was part of the reason why he joined them and everyone just said, well yeah, that makes sense. I'm not saying you're wrong, but Goal is also not a reliable source.

Wilbur

Banned
Carroll doing well in the air as well. Dalglish or next manager should stick with those two and then bring in a poacher as well.

Meier

You used to play FIFA Clubs right? I think we are friends on Xbox, lol.

Yep! I, like most everyone, did not play much FIFA online this year.. I actually haven't played my Xbox nearly as much in general. FM dominates most of my gaming since I can putz around with it while watching TV with my fiancee.

Meier

Why would you need to rest the freaking goalkeeper? And like 1 and half week before the final?

He has been pretty terrible lately. Maybe this was done to protect him since a loss here would leave him shaken for the final? Who knows, this could also negatively affect his confidence by being passed up if Di Matteo was really going with this mindset.

Edit: Oops, my bad.. had the wrong club in mind (was thinking of Arsenal). Cech couldn't really do much against Cisse on either of those goals and he did have that nice save on the second Carroll goal in the FA Cup final.

Kyoufu

He has been pretty terrible lately. Maybe this was done to protect him since a loss here would leave him shaken for the final? Who knows, this could also negatively affect his confidence by being passed up if Di Matteo was really going with this mindset.

After the Cisse goal he just didn't want to go on.

Fintan

I disagree. Cech was bad the first half of the season but he's been pretty crucial since Di Matteo took over.

elsk

Banned

Oops, my bad.. had the wrong club in mind (was thinking of Arsenal). Cech couldn't really do much against Cisse on either of those goals.

Yes, resting the GK is not an smart idea IMO. Btw, is Mata underperforming since Di Matteo is the main coach?

GQman2121

Banned

Oops, my bad.. had the wrong club in mind (was thinking of Arsenal). Cech couldn't really do much against Cisse on either of those goals.

Ummm, his save on Saturday won us the cup. He's been fine over the last few months imo.

dc89

WTF is this bullshit.

My GF has just finished work earlier than expected so decides to get herself a McDonalds for tea, asks me do I want anything.

"A Vanilla milkshake please"

Just get a text saying "They don't do them anymore, do Starbust milkshakes instead."

What kind of McDonalds doesn't do a Vanilla Milkshake. This is bullshit! BULLSHIT!

jtb

Banned
Yes, resting the GK is not an smart idea IMO. Btw, is Mata underperforming since Di Matteo is the main coach?

Mata's just tired, I think. he's been playing just about every major match, CL, fa cup, and league, since he's basically the only really creative outlet chelsea have. he still assisted in both goals in the final at the weekend, iirc.

WTF is this bullshit.

My GF has just finished work earlier than expected so decides to get herself a McDonalds for tea, asks me do I want anything.

"A Vanilla milkshake please"

Just get a text saying "They don't do them anymore, do Starbust milkshakes instead."

What kind of McDonalds doesn't do a Vanilla Milkshake. This is bullshit! BULLSHIT!

What's a Starburst Milkshake? Sounds kind of awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom