• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Listening to a bit of your podcast whilst I bang out some revision notes Arnie. I'm curious what hat you were wearing...?

Someone had left one of those horse riding hats in the studio.

One of these:

1_sh6492.jpg

Fifa cover should be Rooney and Spearing.

Wilbur

Banned
Won't Messi be on it? Or was that just for FIFA Street?

Rooney and Messi, maybe one other person. I'd say Sturridge if they're going for young English players

Lightning

Banned
:lol

Long-term injury problems always start like this. We've seen the same thing at Spurs with Huddlestone. He's missed almost two seasons with a serious ankle injury and I doubt he will ever maintain consistent fitness because, just like Diaby, the original injury has knock-on effects on the whole leg and often leads to a succession of niggling muscle injuries. I hope Wilshere recovers because he has a great talent and I never want to see players dogged with injuries, but I wouldn't think he would be ready to play at last season's level until the 2013/14 season, and that's if his recovery goes well. Ramsey has already shown how damaging it can be to miss a full season at such an age and to be expected to compete with the first team.
I don't really think a Ramsey comparison is fair. Ramsey has just completed an injury free season and imo a very successful season. Ramsey was given the ridiculous job of replacing Cesc Fabregas without the necessary time to develop, play a system that suited Fabregas and as a result has a problem with confidence but this will pass. Am I the only one who notices that even though Ramsey is having shooting problems, Cesc had them as well in his early days, he is always the man in the position? Ramsey's work on the field is unquestionable but he gets a silly amount of hate from Arsenal fans on GAF. It pisses me off. I hope the fan hate that Ramsey gets doesn't drive him to want to quit the club as he will only get better with the experience and his talent is unquestionable. The funny thing is if Ramsey wanted to leave now he would be branded disloyal with these same stupid fans forgetting about all the unnecessary bullshit they put him through. Get behind our player you tossers!!!!!!!!!!

As for Wilshere, we'll see how he comes back but I am not jumping to any conclusions. If he returns to Ramsey's level of fitness we will have no problems.

dc89

Won't Messi be on it? Or was that just for FIFA Street?

Rooney and Messi, maybe one other person. I'd say Sturridge if they're going for young English players

I think it has to be a player from that country. Hence Rooney and Wilshere this year.

Kuyt, Ribery and Spearing on the cover of PES. Will let people know what an ugly mess they are about to get themselves in. Maybe have them stand on a surfboard made out of De Geas face.

No idea, but he's a central midfielder. So I'm guessing Aquilani is not staying at Milan.

Nope. Iirc, he still has to play at least from the beginning next sunday: I read that Galliani told Allegri to keep him on the bench, so the loan will be over in june and he can return to Liverpool next summer and Milan won't have to buy him.

flyover

Reina Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique Henderson Shelvey Downing Maxi Suarez Carroll
subs: Doni, Coates, Kelly, Spearing, Sterling, Bellamy, Kuyt

Looks like Carragher is in, not Enrique (meaning Agger's at LB or it's a three-man defense).

Enrique finally getting the rest he's needed for months, not that it does much good now. He ran out of gas about halfway through the season. At his best, I think he's very good, but I wonder if he can be at his best for a whole season.

I've not been watching Serie A. Hasn't Aquilani been performing for Milan?

He has: from September until December he was pretty good, did some really amazing matches. Then he got injured in January, and never played like the first half of the season.

Meier

@dancrehan on twitter.

All opinion is that of MCFC and not of my own.

Laughed at this. I'm @abellwillring on Twitter.

Speaking of Twitter, I tweeted at Yahoo writer Martin Rogers who claimed Yaya is the highest paid player in England in an article about him today. Claims Yaya is making £330,000 per week. No clue what his basis for this is but he says it's a "fact."

ATF487

They barely even play him, think he has only come on a couple of times as a sub in the last many matches.

That's because of his contract; I don't know the exact details, but I think with enough appearances Milan would be obligated to purchase him, and they don't want to.

I know there was an article posted here about a start being worth 1 point and a sub appearance as a half point, building up to some number, but I wasn't sure if it was true or not.

elsk

Banned
165544hp2.jpg

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/tran...c-set-to-move-to-china-following-unbelievable
Bayern's Pranjic set to move to China following 'unbelievable' offer
Bayern Munich winger Danijel Pranjic has confirmed an approach from an unnamed Chinese club who have made him an "unbelievable" offer.

Speaking to Croatian source Nogometni Magazin, the 30-year-old revealed that he has been offered a two-and-a-half year contract plus a long list of incentives.

"I got an offer from China that I can not possibly refuse. Financially, it's an incredible offer," he said. "I've not yet signed, but really I've already decided."

The Croatia international will reportedly earn €11 million over the next two years, but wages are just the beginning of his mega-offer.

"After the Champions League final, the club's owner will pick me up on a private plane to fly to China to sign the contract," Pranjic explained. "Before that I will have a medical exam in Munich.

"The President said: we will offer you a private driver 24 hours a day, an apartment or house of your choice - we'll give you anything you want!"

Pranjic, who was close to joining Everton in January before Bayern declined to sell him, has a contract that will expire at the end of June. He has made just 14 appearances for Bayern this season, totalling 513 minutes.

This guy actually PAID to play for us. He was a good depth player.

I'm @ichardarshall, but I don't tweet that often. Like Jeff, I mostly moan.

I want to beat Chelsea because it could cost them a European place next season, but they'll just end up buying another one of our player at 11:59pm again..

Meier

Another match-fixing scandal in Italy? Sheesh.
ROME -- The Italian soccer federation will place 22 clubs and 61 people under investigation in the latest match-fixing and betting probe to mar the sport.

Without naming the clubs or people, the Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio announced Tuesday that the clubs and people will be informed Wednesday that they have to answer to sports authorities.

The FIGC also says 33 matches are under investigation, including 29 in Serie B, although none in Serie A.

More than 30 people have been arrested in Italy in the past year in the probe started by judicial authorities in Cremona, including former Atalanta captain Cristiano Doni and former Lazio captain Giuseppe Signori.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/7905255/italy-fixing-probe-targets-61-people-22-clubs

Might explain that bungle by Buffon the other day...

Edit: Oops, I can't read -- headline once you click through the link mentions this is for Serie B.

Wilbur

Banned
Why is Turnbull playing? Chelsea are putting all their eggs in the beating Bayern basket. It's going to happen isn't it :(

GQman2121

Banned
Laughed at this. I'm @abellwillring on Twitter.

Speaking of Twitter, I tweeted at Yahoo writer Martin Rogers who claimed Yaya is the highest paid player in England in an article about him today. Claims Yaya is making £330,000 per week. No clue what his basis for this is but he says it's a "fact."

At the time when he signed from Barca Yaya was the highest paid player in the league. I don't know if that's still true or not now, but I know he does earn £300+ a week.

GQman2121

Banned
Why is Turnbull playing? Chelsea are putting all their eggs in the beating Bayern basket. It's going to happen isn't it :(

Yeah we are. Kind of baffling too. The team we're fielding tonight is really defensive minded. Nice to see Romeu on the sheet though.

Downing has a dodgy video of Kenny. Its the only explanation. Shame Kuyt's not starting his farewell game, and a bigger shame that Aurelio's not even on the bench for his farewell. But hey, why play an actual quality leftback when we can shove Agger out there and put the Bootle Baresi in the middle, also at the expense of one of the most promising young defenders in the world

Man I'm so tired. And hungover. And tired.

Hope tonight's game is better than the cup final, I bet Carroll and Torres score which sets off a scene like the one at the American Football in the Dark Knight Rises trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom